Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

View Poll Results: Gay/Lesbian marriage?
Yes, I have no problem with it. 92 41.63%
No way, I don't agree with it at all. 64 28.96%
Couldn't give a toss about it either way. 35 15.84%
Meh, each one to their own. 30 13.57%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 12:44 AM   #1
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 
Default Poll: Gay/Lesbian marriage.

I call on the masses of the AFF for their opinions on the subject - it's been in the news for well over a year now.

I personally don't mind at all - if two people love each other of the opposite sex or same sex, then so be it in my opinion.

The churches and others don't see it that way as I do - that's sweet, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Please don't turn this poll into a religion slanging match, discussion of religion is not permitted on the forum.

Just wanted to hear what you think about it.

All votes are totally anonymous in this poll.

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
6 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2016, 12:51 AM   #2
Cam
Stroking it...

Default Re: Poll: Gay/Lesbian marriage.

For it. I grew up with a gay mother.

The only hard thing about it was dealing with everybody else's opinions. Ya know, the ones whom my mums sexual preference had no effect on..
Now: Busted assed EB Wagon - 5sp and Dual Fuel.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:51 AM   #3
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't see the issue with it and it's embarrassing that as a so called first world country this is still an issue, it's embarrassing that the USA, a country so politically backward is further along in this issue than we are and its thoroughly disgusting that the only reason we don't have it here yet (every single poll has come out in favour by a fair margin) it because we have elected representatives rallying against it because of their own religious beliefs and personal bigotry, ignoring the will of their electorates.

I can't remember who said this, but my favourite quote on this issue is that people who are against gay marriage will be viewed in history the same way as people who were against black people sharing the front of the bus.
Old 08-02-2016, 01:01 AM   #4
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can we please call it what it is, marriage equality.

It is embarrassing that we are so far behind so many other countries who recognise marriage equality.

But I wonder if those opposed won't vote because they feel they will be set upon by those for it.

Last edited by deesun; 08-02-2016 at 01:25 AM.
Old 08-02-2016, 01:03 AM   #5
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

Agreed Adamz - fully!

And Cams, a lesbian mother does not make for a lesser Mum - sexual preference does not define her, it's how she raised her son that matters.

Cheers!

5 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2016, 01:08 AM   #6
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

What really gets on my nerves is our 'representatives' making their own judgement calls on what they feel personally.

They're supposed to represent their electorates, this whole 'against my beliefs/what I believe' shouldn't come into this.

They should be asking and talking with their electorate, our local MPs do regular meet and greets out on the streets where anyone is welcome to front them.

Personally I'm for it, who cares if they want to put 50% of their stuff on the line for the sake of a name and piece of paper, that's their call.

Its not up to us to interfere or judge.

Here is to more people spending money on receptions/weddings and more invites to a free drinking session and food.
Old 08-02-2016, 02:18 AM   #7
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

I’m all for equality and I only wish Australia as a free society could be out in front and be a leader in issues like this.
4 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2016, 02:51 AM   #8
olfella
Cranky old bastard

The times, they are a changing. I used to 'worry' about girls kissing and blokes holding hands in public, but I am getting used to it. They are happy doing their thing, it is becoming more and more socially acceptable, and like was posted here earlier, we should/can share the same bus. So, no I dont have a problem with it now I can see it is not a threat to me or anyone else.
Old 08-02-2016, 03:07 AM   #9
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Conservatives control both sides of government where we have the minority ruling the majority and it’s seen in the unwillingness to progress and the need to control the population.

Australians should stand up and vote not just for equality for Gays but to show they are in charge and not the Politicians and maybe, just maybe we will become a forward thinking nation again.

We were once proud to be seen as a country that championed the underdog and we have allowed the conservatives to take that away from us.

Australia has taken many backward steps over the last 15 or so years and it's time we showed this is the best country in the world..
Old 08-02-2016, 05:49 AM   #10
Boosted8
Banned

It doesn't affect me and I don't really care what other people do with their lives.

If they want to get married, I say go ahead. I don't know why anyone would want to do that to themselves but each to their own
2 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2016, 06:14 AM   #11
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Two same sex consenting adults should be free to enter into the same legal contract that an opposite sex couple can. That's the bottom line.
2 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2016, 07:42 AM   #12
Trevor 57
is now there

I used to have an issue with "marriage equality", but now I couldn't give a fat rats clacker about the issue, so I am one of the "Couldn't give a toss about it either way" voters.

I just wish a minority thing like this didn't take up so much political and editorial comment, there are far more important things to focus on in Australia
Old 08-02-2016, 08:15 AM   #13
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

I can't think of anything worse - being in love without someone and not being allowed to marry if you choose. The state should stay out of things like this.
This user likes this post:
Old 08-02-2016, 08:55 AM   #14
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Straight guy here (unless in Thailand or out of smokes/Kebab money)...I've always wondered why people bash/hate gays - were they a different breed of sheep than 2016?

I love gay guys and I wish all males were homo.....MORE CHICKS FOR ME. The tattoo-clad meat axes will never understand. Just like they can't walk down the street with a golden retriever, it has to be a pit bull or staffy. Keep puffing that chest out yo.
9 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2016, 09:18 AM   #15
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post
Straight guy here (unless in Thailand or out of smokes/Kebab money)...I've always wondered why people bash/hate gays - were they a different breed of sheep than 2016?

I love gay guys and I wish all males were homo.....MORE CHICKS FOR ME. The tattoo-clad meat axes will never understand. Just like they can't walk down the street with a golden retriever, it has to be a pit bull or staffy. Keep puffing that chest out yo.
Exactly my thoughts. We must be long lost brothers
Old 08-02-2016, 09:29 AM   #16
Trump
bitch lasagne

I'm neither for it or agin' it. But I'm finding that a very important question isn't being asked by anyone at all:

What will a gay or lesbian couple actually gain by being able to legally marry?

When it comes to dealing with govco, you ALWAYS have to stop and ask yourself, what do I gain by signing paper XYZ and how much much are they going to screw me over? If the gain outweighs the negative, then sure go for it. But its govco, so eventually, they will screw you over.

A lesbain couple we are friends with said to me the following regarding marriage equality, "why would I want yet another contract to sign?"
4 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2016, 09:29 AM   #17
superyob
Banned

Totally against it. Deviancy legitimisation. Not normal. Will never agree. Bring back the brownshirts...

Yes I am aware Ernst Rohm was a homo...
4 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2016, 09:32 AM   #18
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Its more so an issue in the USA where being married has legal advantages over being just a couple, shared tax return and making judgement calls in hospital etc I think.

Here you lose your 50% as a defacto couple anyway.

Marriage is a contract you enter into with the state anyway, but if they want to do it then be my guest.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:42 AM   #19
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm actually more interested in WHY some one would be against it. Because I honestly can't think of any reason.

I suppose people might think there is some sacred institution with marriage, but when you can just divorce and re-marry as you please, that's clearly a crock.

If two people want to join together in marriage, who the heck am I to say no! Go for gold!
Old 08-02-2016, 10:43 AM   #20
Pis-ton broke
Banned

marriage has been around for thousands of years, one man and one woman, thats what marriage is. why can,t the gay people respect that institution of man and woman, just leave it alone. dont dilute it or taint it. but no, they have sidled up to the marriage institution.
they are starting something new, so be new, be modern and call there union , a "union" or something else.
be with the one you love ,what ever sex, just respect the marriage institution and leave it alone.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:47 AM   #21
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pis-ton broke View Post
marriage has been around for thousands of years, one man and one woman, thats what marriage is. why can,t the gay people respect that institution of man and woman, just leave it alone. dont dilute it or taint it. but no, they have sidled up to the marriage institution.
they are starting something new, so be new, be modern and call there union , a "union" or something else.
be with the one you love ,what ever sex, just respect the marriage institution and leave it alone.
Marriage is a long running joke, what is the divorce rate these days?

'Until self caused financial problems and or another man/woman do us part'
3 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2016, 10:51 AM   #22
creative
I am Batman

I'm in the dont care category.

I have my own things to worry about.
Rebuilt Boss260 with #Kellogs 1500hp forged and balanced crank#Manley forged flattop pistons with a 9.5/1cr#4340 forged h-beam rods with arp bolts#Clevit performance rod and main bearings#full ARP headstud kit#total seal rings#Mantic twin plate development clutch and lightened flywheel#Mellings uprated oil pump#Mainforce Performance Supercharger kit#AU motorsport 345mm big brake kit.

Now producing 369.7rwkw/496rwhp@6000 and 515ft/lb torque @ 11 psi.
Now sat on an engine stand going nowhere
4 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2016, 10:54 AM   #23
Pis-ton broke
Banned

the next thing gay people will wont to be "marriaged" in a church with the priests blessing.
it just goes against thousands of years of tradition, arr but that doesn,t matter does it.
6 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2016, 10:58 AM   #24
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
the next thing gay people will wont to be "marriaged" in a church with the priests blessing.
it just goes against thousands of years of tradition, arr but that doesn,t matter does it.
Not to me it doesn't. Who would want to be a part of a church institution that denied basic human rights?
4 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2016, 11:16 AM   #25
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

SS, What's the difference between choice 1, 3 and 4 in the poll?

All three mean you have no issue with it right?
5 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2016, 11:18 AM   #26
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Western political ideals were underpinned by the influence of religious values.

Personally, I don't see the point in letting a book written hundreds of years ago and re-written after being translated from various dialects and languages, dictate what we do today; its not all relevant.

(not to be seen as religious bashing, as coming from someone who has been involved with churches and now the other side).

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
3 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2016, 11:18 AM   #27
Pis-ton broke
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
Not to me it doesn't. Who would want to be a part of a church institution that denied basic human rights?
the church respecting basic human rights, well that is a hot potato.
5 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2016, 11:19 AM   #28
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post

I read 3 and 4 the same. 1 being you have a strong vote for 'yes'.

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
Old 08-02-2016, 11:21 AM   #29
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
We can't ruin the 'Sanctity' of marriage by allowing gay and lesbian couples to marry but its alright to systematically cover up the sexual abuse of a large percentage of two generations (baby boomers/gen X) by priests from the catholic church.
Old 08-02-2016, 11:33 AM   #30
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post

Correct Stefan, in hindsight maybe I should have left the poll at for or against. Just put a few more options out there, this is a grey area for many to ponder on if they're interested.

There's "fence sitters" out there on the subject though - just giving an option mate.

I welcome all and any debate on the matter.

Cheers!

Closed Thread