Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 18-06-2015, 08:10 PM   #241
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Default Re: Finally, someone telling it as it is....

Double post
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2015, 08:12 PM   #242
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I won't go into details of my portfolio but i have an extensive one. I am 28 and i have built it all on my own. I would say i have sacrificed a lot of my young life but only due to my work, in my spare time i live life to the fullest. On weekends i am home, my wife and i are camping and surfing in the summer and snowboarding in the winter. We take one big 4 week holiday overseas a year.

Some people make it out to be extremely hard, it's not, once you get one it all flows on from there. It drives me crazy when people say it's impossible to buy into the market, it's not, you just have to go out there and get it. I left home at 17 with $60 and a tank of fuel in my VN commodore, i decided that day i would retire at 45, im well ahead of that now.
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2015, 08:42 PM   #243
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
She may have a good work ethic, a head on her shoulders, and may not have been handed everything on a plate, but I reckon our definitions of 'everything' may differ somewhat. I'd say she has been given almost a full plate by my measure.

Good luck to her. I don't begrudge people who work hard and built themselves up or even those who have it gifted to them. Only when they try and compare it to the average persons circumstances is what I find annoying. Not talking about her but in general.

All the whinging in the comments in that article won't change hers or their circumstances
I agree. Those comments smell of sour grapes to me. Tall poppy syndrome. Trying to beat down someone who instead of flogging all her money on booze and drugs, chose to invest it into property and set herself a prosperous future. Yet, people will whinge if she was a druggy/boozer or if she is a wealthy property owner who has been given a hand up in life. Can't win.

How about being happy for that person and finding a way to better you're life instead of belittling those who are doing better?

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 19-06-2015, 01:53 PM   #244
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
I agree. Those comments smell of sour grapes to me. Tall poppy syndrome. Trying to beat down someone who instead of flogging all her money on booze and drugs, chose to invest it into property and set herself a prosperous future. Yet, people will whinge if she was a druggy/boozer or if she is a wealthy property owner who has been given a hand up in life. Can't win.

How about being happy for that person and finding a way to better you're life instead of belittling those who are doing better?
I think it more about, people who don't have any help like such, how do they make it, they don't have a hope in the world.

And that's the problem, as it's the % that don't have the ability to afford.

It maybe all fine for our treasurer to just sit back and spin a story, but that's all it is, just a story, not reality.

How do we who are wealthy provide for them who have a hell of a time making a go of it, could be more to the point.

Having a broad middle class is the healthiest democracy and once you have only the top end and the bottom end, it's all finished and the only way from their is downwards as a healthy prospering nation.

Last edited by castellan; 19-06-2015 at 02:07 PM.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-06-2015, 07:16 PM   #245
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I hear what you are saying. I know I probably will never get to her position where I am today, but that doesn't make me feel like I have to tear her down because of my own circumstances.

I have done the best with what I was given and still strive to pursue the best positive result with what I have. I cannot speak for others or assume they are not doing their best either, but just dont see the point of whinging about it like some of the commenter's there.

I can't speak for the treasurer. What he said was insensitive. I reckon he could have put it more tactfully.

You are right about the middle class though. They are the back bone of the nation.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-06-2015, 07:24 PM   #246
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They reckon now that Chinese investors are going to spend over 60Billion on Oz RE over the next 6 years which is double of what they spent in the last 6.

Some believe this will be enough to keep the OZ RE bubble well inflated for a few more years yet?
GASWAGON is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2015, 07:48 PM   #247
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolBFWagon View Post
They reckon now that Chinese investors are going to spend over 60Billion on Oz RE over the next 6 years which is double of what they spent in the last 6.

Some believe this will be enough to keep the OZ RE bubble well inflated for a few more years yet?
Its probably a win/win either way.

If the bubble doesnt deflate then the extra stimulus will see investors and homeowners in a stable environment, if it does deflate, the biggest losers will be the Chinese.
The more they buy, the better off Australians will be if it all goes sour.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2015, 11:21 PM   #248
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know a lot of people will never be in a position to buy their own home. That is a fact in this country of ours and that is not a good thing.

But I still think there are plenty that could if they cut down on unnecessary BS and lower their expectations.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-06-2015, 11:38 PM   #249
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolBFWagon View Post

I am seeing this first hand.

A chinese businessman and his partner landed in my front yard in a helicopter after doing a title search on one of my properties and asking if he could come over and make me an offer if he liked the place.

They can only buy a property that hasn't had a house on it due to foreign investment regulations so mine is a rare parcel indeed.

I cannot believe what they are offering it exceeds 7 digits more than I paid for it 18 months ago.....

This cannot last...surely?
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2015, 12:25 PM   #250
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post

A chinese businessman and his partner landed in my front yard in a helicopter after doing a title search on one of my properties and asking if he could come over and make me an offer if he liked the place.

They can only buy a property that hasn't had a house on it due to foreign investment regulations so mine is a rare parcel indeed.

I cannot believe what they are offering it exceeds 7 digits more than I paid for it 18 months ago.....

Zilo,

You know it will. The main motivation for Chinese investors is to create an estate they can pass on, very difficult to do in China.

It is not about increasing value or income, our secure legal system is the great attraction.

Good luck to you being able to benefit from the choices you have made.

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2015, 12:33 PM   #251
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:

Is this your Tassie beauty?

And, are you taking him up on his offer Zilo?
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2015, 12:44 PM   #252
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:

If I turn up on driftwood on your island its just to make an offer for your Mitsubishi 380
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2015, 10:24 PM   #253
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
Is this your Tassie beauty?

And, are you taking him up on his offer Zilo?
Nahhhhhhhh.....
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post