Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

View Poll Results: Do you support changing the Australian flag?
No 227 78.01%
Yes 64 21.99%
Voters: 291. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 17-02-2010, 05:07 PM   #241
WOLF
Track Red XY

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||
ironically many of the first (white) australians arrived as "boat people"
The irony is lost on me.
Do you mean the white anglo/europeans that arrived (as legal immigrants) and built this wonderful nation we call home? If so, nope my understanding is they arrived via ship....no leaky boats.
Quite a bit different to the current crop of boat people wouldn't you say...
Anyway I hope the flag stays. Who's knows in 50 years it may be the only recognizable Australian thing left!
Old 17-02-2010, 05:24 PM   #242
Hardtopxb
Once PHASED.

Well, I served for 31 years under this flag and often thought why(metaphorically) our flag has another countries flag in the corner. We are big boys and girls now, we should have our own flag representing our own country.
Take out the union jack put in our coat of arms in it's place.
Much more appropriate IMO.
Old 17-02-2010, 08:51 PM   #243
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLF
The irony is lost on me.
Do you mean the white anglo/europeans that arrived (as legal immigrants) and built this wonderful nation we call home? If so, nope my understanding is they arrived via ship....no leaky boats.
Quite a bit different to the current crop of boat people wouldn't you say...
Anyway I hope the flag stays. Who's knows in 50 years it may be the only recognizable Australian thing left!

A lot werent Anglos. I dont get why they dont get the recognition, only the skips do.
been coming since gold rush times.
Old 17-02-2010, 09:18 PM   #244
LUV DE COUPE

Get rid of the pommy bit
Old 17-02-2010, 09:38 PM   #245
Mickxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i have posted here before..was hoping not to have to do it again..

LEAVE OUR FLAG ALONE !!!!

let this thread die.

people have fought and died protecting this symbol of AUSTRALIA .
may they rest in peace.

all of those born here were born under an AUSTRALIAN flag..

why change it ?. i dont have an issue with multiculturism etc so dont go down
the"racist"path.

to all the lefties,righties,do gooders,naysayers,freaked out flower children ..

IF IT AINT BROKE dont fix it :

not even gonna bother with a "flamesuit" bring it on ?.

signed by

a proud aussie.

: : : : : : :
Old 17-02-2010, 09:40 PM   #246
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

If "it ain't broke don't fix it" rang true we'd all still be driving around in Ford model Ts.
Old 18-02-2010, 12:15 AM   #247
Mickxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
If "it ain't broke don't fix it" rang true we'd all still be driving around in Ford model Ts.

and speaking dutch or japanese ??

dont get me wrong,, progess is good and we need to adapt and accept this ever growing world however it turns out....

..but..

LEAVE OUR FLAG ALONE !
Old 18-02-2010, 01:10 AM   #248
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickxr8
and speaking dutch or japanese ??

dont get me wrong,, progess is good and we need to adapt and accept this ever growing world however it turns out....

..but..

LEAVE OUR FLAG ALONE !

Meanwhile a lot of people will never feel truly aussie whilst the English symbol is on our flag.
If Canada, South Africa, India, USA, more important countries that Australia can change their flags why cant Aus?

what is it with you Ausssies and that colonial mentality?
Old 18-02-2010, 01:35 AM   #249
Mickxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^^^
: :

what would you propose good sir ?.

perhaps a nice rainbow with everybody`s version of what it should look like ?.

FFS.

you can please some people some of the time but you cant please everyone at the same time ?.

i stand by every comment i,ve made so far... i was born under it and i intend
to die under it..

LEAVE OUR FLAG ALONE !

Last edited by Mickxr8; 18-02-2010 at 01:38 AM. Reason: oops
Old 18-02-2010, 08:49 PM   #250
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

this thread is amusing – there are two points which do not make sense at all
some suggest that they will not feel australian until the flag is changed. if they do not feel australian with the current flag, they will not feel australian with a new flag. the flag is just a link to the past – our past, but a past nonetheless. it cannot make you feel more or less a member of that country in the present. it seems to me that most of these people would rather be in their own mother country instead of australia . . . .
there are some that say that we are big boys and girls and to be taken seriously with the rest of the world, we need a new flag and even need to become a republic. changing anything to make ourselves look more mature to the world reeks of insecurity. if we were secure and should be taken seriously, then we would not care what anyone else thinks. and since the country is going fairly well at present, we certainly should not care at all

some have different reasons for changing it. that is their opinion but if it is changed, in 20 years time it will have no relevance to the new generation of people. then again, maybe they may respect their new country and it’s history – unlikely though. no one respects anything anymore – certainly not in our otherwise great country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
have you ever tried reversing up a hill because the fuel pump is in the wrong position to drive up a hill. you may not consider that broken, but to me even if it ain't actually broke, it needs fixing. the flag on the other hand does everything that is needed from it
Old 18-02-2010, 10:35 PM   #251
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickxr8
^^^^
: :

what would you propose good sir ?.

perhaps a nice rainbow with everybody`s version of what it should look like ?.

FFS.

you can please some people some of the time but you cant please everyone at the same time ?.

i stand by every comment i,ve made so far... i was born under it and i intend
to die under it..

LEAVE OUR FLAG ALONE !
I would propose something like canada's or south africas, as long as the union jack is gone.
Something that makes us stand out and makes me want to be aussie and not my other nationality would be a start.

i wouldnt die for it, dont salute it. doesnt do anything for me.
Just says poms and the fanatics.
Old 18-02-2010, 10:46 PM   #252
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

This thread is going no where and shall be laid to rest with the appropriate honors.

Closed Thread