Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

View Poll Results: Do you support changing the Australian flag?
No 227 78.01%
Yes 64 21.99%
Voters: 291. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 25-01-2010, 10:21 PM   #61
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I think Waltzing Matilda invokes more emotion and aussie pride in me.
Old 25-01-2010, 10:23 PM   #62
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Does anyone realise how much money it will cost the economy to change the flag???????
not a problem there Norm, we could just put the company tax rate up to 60%, or we could leave it at 30, but make it payable before lerks and perks(cough investements) are deducted
Old 25-01-2010, 10:24 PM   #63
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
Let me first say I am definitely not pro-British, but I am also definitely not anti-British, nor am I in any sense religious.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but I thought our culture was built from British rule and one of predominantly christian beliefs.
'
You are not wrong, but why would our flag need to represent what we were, rather than what we are now, in 2010? History doesn't stop at a fixed point in time.

Let's move on.

I don't hate the Brits either, I'm relatively indifferent to them as I am to anyone else. It's not an anti Brit argument, it's more a point of view that we are Australia in 2010, and our flag looks like crap compared to some other real gems out there.
Old 25-01-2010, 10:26 PM   #64
Brent
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
not part of my ancestry Brent, in fact half my family tree is from those sent here fighting the english for their freedom, the other half has no connection whatsoever.

While its not a big issue to me, I voted yes, I reckon we are our own country and can (and be seen too) stand on our own..
Not suggesting for one moment that every family here in Aus has its roots in the British Empire. In fact, my family doesn't either. There are exceptions everywhere. However, on balance, our history has its roots and origins from British settlement. My wife is from Irish heritage, and believe me, those guys had no love affair with the Brits either, but you don't go changing a flag because of it. Totally the wrong motivation IMO.
Old 25-01-2010, 10:27 PM   #65
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati888
'
You are not wrong, but why would our flag need to represent what we were, rather than what we are now, in 2010? History doesn't stop at a fixed point in time.

Let's move on.

I don't hate the Brits either, I'm relatively indifferent to them as I am to anyone else. It's not an anti Brit argument, it's more a point of view that we are Australia in 2010, and our flag looks like crap compared to some other real gems out there.
Quote again "which embrace their population and their culture."
That IS our culture.

History and culture doesnt change with the times.
Old 25-01-2010, 10:29 PM   #66
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty85
I think Waltzing Matilda invokes more emotion and aussie pride in me.

Really? A guy stealing a sheep invokes aussie pride....yeah Australia doesn't get enough ribbing about being full of crims. lol
Old 25-01-2010, 10:30 PM   #67
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Really? A guy stealing a sheep invokes aussie pride....yeah Australia doesn't get enough ribbing about being full of crims. lol
Well you know convicts and all....
Old 25-01-2010, 10:33 PM   #68
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melz
Well you know convicts and all....

lol, i'll be more careful with my wallet.
Old 25-01-2010, 10:35 PM   #69
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Well given thats how colonised australia started out as. Nothing but a piece of land to stick more crims because gaols in Britain were full. So yes i am aware what the song is about. The same could be said for Ned Kelly, a criminal seen as a great Australian hero...

Either way its a lot better than the spineless dribble we have at present.
Old 25-01-2010, 10:36 PM   #70
Brent
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Taking a wider scope for a moment, one of the things here that worries me is that when you scratch the surface, a lot of the driving motivations to change the flag are driven not so much to make the country tangibly better, but to push a thinly disguised political barrow e.g. my family isn't British; we fought the Brits; they have a poor history of oppression; what about the Aboriginies? etc.......inevitably, this stuff always comes to the surface. Maybe they're legitimate points, but should be argued in a completely different forum.

Any desire to change the flag driven by political agendas or personal axe grinding is a totally inappropriate reason to change it.
Old 25-01-2010, 10:39 PM   #71
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
That IS our culture.

Huh? Culture very much does change with the times. We don't still burn people at the stake for being a witch, or murder people for being the wrong race or religion (well, we don't in Australia much, anyway).

Have you had a good look at the crimes against humanity that Britain has undertaken over the last thousand years? It's on a par with the Catholic church and the Nazis. If that's the foundation of our culture, then I think we should take a good hard look at ourselves.
Old 25-01-2010, 10:40 PM   #72
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
That IS our culture.

How does having the St. George, St Andrews & St Patrick's cross being on our flag represent our culture ..... and most here wouldn't even know what the Jack represent! Why should this represent out history & culture? Is this all we have here? Sad if it is really.

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 25-01-2010, 10:40 PM   #73
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Once you start to break down the very fabric and foundations this country was built on you give opportunity for something less than favourable to infiltrate our society.....

I can tell you without any doubt there is a constant silent underswell of nasties slowly but surely trying to take over.....

Old 25-01-2010, 10:42 PM   #74
MRFGXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

I personally believe we should leave it alone. Much blood has been spilt over this flag to defend what it stands for, that inevitably is the great land of Australia and our great life we here lead. Like it or hate it this flag is part of us. This topic arises every year with the same result-it doesn't change. If you don't like it then leave!

6/6/16 build 2017 plate Race red mustang gt with white solid stripes, tint, x-force exhaust, rear spoiler, 35mm lowered Votgland springs

Old 25-01-2010, 10:42 PM   #75
Scott

I think it should be put to referendum at the election this year, winner take all.

Vote 1 - Leave it
Vote 2 - Version A
Vote 3 - Version B
Vote 255 - Version IU
Old 25-01-2010, 10:45 PM   #76
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006
I think it should be put to referendum at the election this year, winner take all.

Vote 1 - Leave it
Vote 2 - Version A
Vote 3 - Version B
Vote 255 - Version IU

You forgot the Version A.2 - where it is very much like version A.. but not quite
Old 25-01-2010, 10:45 PM   #77
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006

Vote 1 - Leave it
Vote 2 - Version A
Vote 3 - Version B
Vote 255 - Version IU
Do we have to register with the electoral comission guys to vote in a referendum?
Old 25-01-2010, 10:48 PM   #78
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCPWSF
Do we have to register with the electoral comission guys to vote in a referendum?
You're not enrolled??

By the way yes.

Old 25-01-2010, 10:50 PM   #79
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Knew I shouldnt have subscribed to this thread,,,my email just went into meltdown...
Old 25-01-2010, 10:52 PM   #80
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
You're not enrolled??

By the way yes.
Nah, not interested in politics so I keep away and don't waste my time voting. Here I mearly voice my opinion on the matter.
Old 25-01-2010, 10:55 PM   #81
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Nah, not interested in politics so I keep away and don't waste my time voting. Here I mearly voice my opinion on the matter.
No problems, i take it you'll never complain ever again about taxes, road rules, police etc?

Old 25-01-2010, 11:00 PM   #82
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
No problems, i take it you'll never complain ever again about taxes, road rules, police etc?
I will, but whats one vote in the whole scheme of things?
Old 25-01-2010, 11:03 PM   #83
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Quote:

Reminds me of the Aboriginal Flag (proudly brought to you by Qantas, The sprit of Australia)

In all seriousness, Leave it as is, to even suggest to change it IMHO, just shows a lack of respect for the country you live in.
Old 25-01-2010, 11:04 PM   #84
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Unless you are enrolled your opinion counts for 2/10ths of stuff all.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
Old 25-01-2010, 11:04 PM   #85
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yes change it, does nothing for me and a fair slice of the population, having the union Jack on it.
btw didnt the soldiers fight under a red version?
And why are they the only ppl thought of? yes they should be respected, but they arent the only members of Aus society.

Canada is a great example, the world didnt cave in when they changed flag.
Old 25-01-2010, 11:06 PM   #86
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Show some interest in your future and current state of play, if you're prepared to complain then take the time to understand how and why and make a difference...

Quite apart from the fact you'll get a fine when they catch up with you eventually...

Old 25-01-2010, 11:09 PM   #87
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
and if there are 100 people who think like you there's 100 votes down the drain..it matters a lot..isn't it illegal to not register to vote if you're eligible? or is that just not voting if you're registered?

Leave it the way it is, too much trouble to change it and why would you want to destroy the relationship with Britain? A very good ally to have even today.

A flag isn't about representing modern Australia, it's something historic, the southern cross has significant importance here, even if it is on other flags, same with the commonwealth star, we are still the Commonwealth of Australia. People need to stop whinging about the aboriginals not being recognised in the flag as well, If it wasn't for the English settlers then who knows they may not have advanced at all.

Someone on the radio made a good point today though, if it is changed then we should use the coat of arms, with the roo and emu, moving forward as a country.
Old 25-01-2010, 11:11 PM   #88
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Not much at all really the way the electoral system works.
Old 25-01-2010, 11:12 PM   #89
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Working Class Man - Jimmy Barnes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiEycVMKoJo
i do like this version, but i will stick with the current flag and anthem
it would be pathetic if we chose a song about a thief to be our national anthem
if the flag has to be changed, as long as it stays red, white and blue i would be happy
but a green and gold one - why, it would look like someone barfed on it (i guess that does sum up our culture)
and red, black and yellow - they are not our colours
the current flag depicts our heritage, our location and our states and territories, i cannot understand why it is not relevant

why change for the sake of it

Last edited by gtxb67; 25-01-2010 at 11:19 PM.
Old 25-01-2010, 11:20 PM   #90
pks54
Ford Power To The People

[QUOTE=Ducati888]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
Er. no. Just because she is our Queen does not mean that she rules us. The British government has no say, nor any control over Australia and the monarchy has no control or say over Australia either. In fact, the monarchy has no say over the British government either other than being just a figurehead reference..
umm, you are right that the British government has no say. But the Queen does. Yes the mother country lets us vote and we select our PM. But if the Queen wants to step in she can. Know where the Governor General stands....
Closed Thread