Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

View Poll Results: Do you support changing the Australian flag?
No 227 78.01%
Yes 64 21.99%
Voters: 291. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 25-01-2010, 09:22 PM   #31
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Part of a countries flag is to signify heritage. While I have my own ideas of a good "new" flag, I'd still agree that the current flag is a good one.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 25-01-2010, 09:22 PM   #32
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCPWSF
But it doesn't represent modern day Australia.
Yes it does, despite the British haters,- coupled with extreme left-wing fanatic morons like Ray Martin, Harold Scruby (in his AUSFLAG guise) and the idiot Simon Townsend,- who said he likened AUS Scout flag waving as something like a Nuremberg rally.

The country was setteld by Britain, thankfully, and hopefully will remain the main cultural stock.

Not afraid to fight it either.

NB - I do like Falcon Coupes design:-)
Old 25-01-2010, 09:22 PM   #33
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
But it doesn't represent modern day Australia.
Why? Because you say so? It's the flag that represents the country. You should be for it, not it for you.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
Old 25-01-2010, 09:24 PM   #34
au11futura
ROCKING THE EL FUTURA

be proud of what you have honor it, hold it high its this country's history.

if in fact this country does free itself from the british monarchy then consider it.

but for the time being this flag represents what we are, a great sharing, and multy cultrual country wich has become great in its short years.

im not aussie, but i love this country and respect it as much as mine.

My build that was http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11267696

ENVI BA XR6T
BUILD THREAD..http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11345961 TAKEN BY THE EX
NOW A EL FUTURA

EB MONTY NOW IN THE SHED
BACK IN THE E-SERIES

THREAD DIGGEr
Old 25-01-2010, 09:26 PM   #35
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

People fought under it, and died under it... leave it the way it is.
Old 25-01-2010, 09:28 PM   #36
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
Yes it does, despite the British haters,- coupled with extreme left-wing fanatic morons like Ray Martin and Harold Scruby (in his AUSFLAG guise) who seek change.

The country was setteld by Britain, thankfully, and hopefully will remain the main cultural stock.

I agree. Ray Martin has his 15min of fame every Aussie day. Derryn Hinch will arch up next....

Put on a good mix of Kevin Bloody Wilson...throw some Lamb on the barbie and be thankful we live in a country where food is plentiful, water comes from a tap and money is there for those who choose to grab it!
Old 25-01-2010, 09:28 PM   #37
au11futura
ROCKING THE EL FUTURA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melz
BE PROUD OF IT...................

My build that was http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11267696

ENVI BA XR6T
BUILD THREAD..http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11345961 TAKEN BY THE EX
NOW A EL FUTURA

EB MONTY NOW IN THE SHED
BACK IN THE E-SERIES

THREAD DIGGEr
Old 25-01-2010, 09:28 PM   #38
US kills Falcon

Quote:
Yes it does, despite the British haters,- coupled with extreme left-wing fanatic morons
Not all supporters of changing the flag are anti-British or left wing loonies. We will never feel 100% Australian with the current flag.
Old 25-01-2010, 09:31 PM   #39
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
Can't see anything wrong with the current one. Yep, its got the Union Jack in one corner, but last time I checked, that was part of our ancestry. We tell others to be proud of their history and ancestry, so shouldn't be any different for us.
not part of my ancestry Brent, in fact half my family tree is from those sent here fighting the english for their freedom, the other half has no connection whatsoever.

While its not a big issue to me, I voted yes, I reckon we are our own country and can (and be seen too) stand on our own..
Old 25-01-2010, 09:31 PM   #40
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Thats my effort. Sums up the country pretty nicely.
Old 25-01-2010, 09:39 PM   #41
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Dont think that does actually! Just my opinion of course!

Then again...we are known as a county of wowsers....
Old 25-01-2010, 09:40 PM   #42
Chopped
as in chopped

Leave the flag exactly as it is. -> Ray Martin can pee off <-

Quote:
That does look pretty cool.
Old 25-01-2010, 09:44 PM   #43
Chopped
as in chopped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220

Thats my effort. Sums up the country pretty nicely.
Tourism Australia could use that to entice tourists.
Old 25-01-2010, 09:47 PM   #44
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
So in 20yrs when it doenst represent "Modern Australia" would you change it again?

When you are overseas and YOU SEE that flag...It is a feeling of home....Why change it?

Its like tellin mum to change her lamington recipe...ya just wouldnt do it!
Modern, I mean post WWII. When I look at my flag, I see United Kingdom, the southern cross and a funny looking 7 pointed star, not Australia. That flag does not represent our country, it represents the people who created it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Why? Because you say so? It's the flag that represents the country. You should be for it, not it for you.
See above.

Quote:

Settled by Britain in 1788, saved by the USA in 1942.

Quote:
This didn't stop Canada from changing their flag after WWII to the maple leaf one. People also fought and died for one with a swastika on it and that was swiftly changed and quite understandable why.

Fair enough if we stay under british rule, keep the flag BUT if we go a republic, I'd like it changed.
Old 25-01-2010, 09:51 PM   #45
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Last time I checked... we weren't Canada.. and we didn't need to follow the path of someone connected to America....
Old 25-01-2010, 09:55 PM   #46
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Last time I checked... we weren't Canada.. and we didn't need to follow the path of someone connected to America....
They had helped us in WWII when the UK couldn't.
Old 25-01-2010, 09:56 PM   #47
Geez Louise
Awesome

Quote:
Well said Melz...People always get so passionate about what THEY feel is right.

We will not always agree...But surely you MUST all agree....Australia IS a fantastic place to live
Old 25-01-2010, 09:56 PM   #48
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Know enough old blokes to know many like to think they fought for their country. The flag, in what ever form only represents this country. One reason they fought is so we can still have our own identity and be able to change the flag if we want .... which has already changed twice since 1901 by the way.

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 25-01-2010, 09:58 PM   #49
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
We will not always agree...But surely you MUST all agree....Australia IS a fantastic place to live
Personally, I'm not so sure anymore, but I'm not going to get into that because that involves politics and thats not allowed here.
Old 25-01-2010, 09:58 PM   #50
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by US kills Falcon
Not all supporters of changing the flag are anti-British or left wing loonies. We will never feel 100% Australian with the current flag.
I'm sorry, but I feel 100% Australian when I look at our flag. Why wouldn't you?

Many of our Olympians have tattooed themselves with our flag because of the strong bond they feel towards it. Ask them how much they feel Australian when they look at our flag.
Old 25-01-2010, 10:00 PM   #51
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not just olympians but those in our armed services who continue to protect our way of life
Old 25-01-2010, 10:01 PM   #52
Geez Louise
Awesome

Go live in a third world country...or travel from Australia....We ARE the lucky country...Never realised that until I had to see what the rest of the world had to offer.

Still, I will agree to disagree...I think I have said my peace on this topic that is very close to my heart.

Enjoy your day tomorrow people...whatever it means to you.
Old 25-01-2010, 10:02 PM   #53
Rastus
XY,XC,XEx2,XA,EF,AU,BA,XY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
Can't see anything wrong with the current one. Yep, its got the Union Jack in one corner, but last time I checked, that was part of our ancestry. We tell others to be proud of their history and ancestry, so shouldn't be any different for us.

Anyway, I could just imagine the process for designing and selecting a new flag. Good god, by the time we'd appeased all the special interest groups, we'd have flag in the colours of the rainbow with a picture of a gay dugong playing a digeridoo in the top left corner.......
This does seem to come up every couple of years doesn't it! Brent echoes my thoughts exactly. Imagine the botch job of determining a new flag in this day & age, with every minority/interest group wanting it's input on it.
And if it changed, it'd mean i'd have to get a new sticker for my ute! This one I got from the Vietnam Vet's Museum would be no good..

Old 25-01-2010, 10:03 PM   #54
BA Baracus
xls

Quote:
That would be a hard sell, it's japan's flag in different colours with a kangaroo.
Old 25-01-2010, 10:05 PM   #55
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=Geez Louise]Every year this topic comes along....

We are still under British rule. I in fact wrote to the Queen a few weeks ago asking for a parcel of land... Seriously I did! and apparently she replies to all letters sent...we shall see!

Er. no. Just because she is our Queen does not mean that she rules us. The British government has no say, nor any control over Australia and the monarchy has no control or say over Australia either. In fact, the monarchy has no say over the British government either other than being just a figurehead reference.

Why do people state such inane things as "we need to change the flag so that other nations will take us seriously?". What crap. How do other nations not take us seriously because of our flag? Is it because of the fact that we have amongst the best democracies, health care, education and living standards in the world? Yeah. I can see why they wouldn't take us seriously.

I voted to change the flag because it's crap. The national anthem is crap too. My opinion only. I just don't like either compared to the beautiful flags and anthems that some other countries have, which embrace their population and their culture. But when it comes to love for my country - as someone who has travelled extensively through western and eastern nations, Australia can't be beaten. It is, quite simply, the greatest place on earth.

It's a pity people can't stop bitching about things. It's great here.
Old 25-01-2010, 10:09 PM   #56
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

x2 on a crap anthem. Gotta be the wussiest anthem on earth. Its not an anthem of strength that is for sure.
Old 25-01-2010, 10:13 PM   #57
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati888
I voted to change the flag because it's crap. The national anthem is crap too. My opinion only. I just don't like either compared to the beautiful flags and anthems that some other countries have, which embrace their population and their culture.
Let me first say I am definitely not pro-British, but I am also definitely not anti-British, nor am I in any sense religious.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but I thought our culture was built from British rule and one of predominantly christian beliefs.
Old 25-01-2010, 10:15 PM   #58
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Seeing as everyone wants to change everything, can we change the name of the country. I mean when we become a repubplic and we change the anthem, the flag, why not change the name as well.
Old 25-01-2010, 10:18 PM   #59
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
I have to agree Brent, with all the crazy issues going on right now we'd likely end up with something like this.

Yes just leave it alone... don't stuff around with tradition and ancestory.

On a side note does anyone realise just how much money it will cost the economy to change the flag???????

Old 25-01-2010, 10:19 PM   #60
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty85
x2 on a crap anthem. Gotta be the wussiest anthem on earth. Its not an anthem of strength that is for sure.
Working Class Man - Jimmy Barnes
Closed Thread