Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

View Poll Results: Gay/Lesbian marriage?
Yes, I have no problem with it. 92 41.63%
No way, I don't agree with it at all. 64 28.96%
Couldn't give a toss about it either way. 35 15.84%
Meh, each one to their own. 30 13.57%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 06:45 PM   #241
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Poll: Gay/Lesbian marriage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudPipes View Post
I must say I’m surprised at the poll results so far.

Not because close to a third of the members who have taken the time to vote don’t care about the issue as I think that is probably very true of the general population.

It's the high number who have polled that they agree with marriage equality as car enthusiasts are often stereotyped as high testosterone fuelled masculine males where any tolerance of gays would be low on their agenda.

It just shows what a good cross section of the community is represented on this forum and possibly in the car scene in general.
Imagine what would happen if an openly gay bloke won Summernats with a huge 427 superturbocharged Forden? It would make the rotary winners of the last two years look acceptable.

Last edited by deesun; 09-02-2016 at 06:51 PM.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:49 PM   #242
chamb0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudPipes View Post
I must say I’m surprised at the poll results so far.

Not because close to a third of the members who have taken the time to vote don’t care about the issue as I think that is probably very true of the general population.

It's the high number who have polled that they agree with marriage equality as car enthusiasts are often stereotyped as high testosterone fuelled masculine males where any tolerance of gays would be low on their agenda.

It just shows what a good cross section of the community is represented on this forum and possibly in the car scene in general.
I thought that was interesting too. This might explain how things stand at the moment:

The polling company CrosbyTextor has been polling Australians on this since 2004. They report "strong support for marriage equality across all key demographics."

http://www.crosbytextor.com/news/rec...-sex-marriage/

"Almost three-quarters of Australians (72%) now support legalising same-sex marriage, including around half (48%) ‘strongly supporting’ it. Just a fifth (21%) opposed this to any degree with those strongly opposed, a small and shrinking 14%.

The survey also asked a variety of demographic and lifestyle questions of the survey respondents; finding that more people in every single group surveyed supported than opposed same-sex marriage. Of particular note:

- A majority of those identifying with major religions supported marriage equality, including Catholics, Anglicans and non-Christian religions.
- A majority of older Australians (aged 55 years or over) supported marriage equality.
- A majority in all states and regions across Australia including Western Sydney and regional Queensland.
- A majority of (heterosexual) people already in a marriage supported marriage equality.
- A majority of people with children supported marriage equality."

If accurate, it busts a few myths I guess.

Old 09-02-2016, 06:51 PM   #243
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabantien View Post
I wonder if you consider telling gay people that they are not normal, tainted, unnatural, wrong, mentally ill, aberrations, paedophiles, perverted, damaging to children, twisted AIDS carriers is also bashing and vilifying them?

Or is that just having an opinion?

They're just some of the things people in this forum have called gay people in this thread.
Those things don't necessarily have anything to do with the debate of marriage, that's more so from people who are against homosexuality but as you'd expect there's extremists on either side of any debate/argument.

That's another thing how a lot people twist the argument, if you are against the idea of gay marriage you must hate gays, are a biggot, probably a misogynist and definitely a racist.

That's obviously an extreme example as well but surely you've seen comments sections of articles on websites and/or Facebook where you've seen discussion go along those lines away from the original topic.

I just can't see how that's helpful for any debate.
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
2 users like this post:
Old 09-02-2016, 07:01 PM   #244
marty351
Shenanigans..............

It's nothing worth worrying about.
To each their own.

And this is the only gay I know.

Last edited by marty351; 01-09-2016 at 05:58 PM.
This user likes this post:
Old 09-02-2016, 09:11 PM   #245
theBlake

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamb0 View Post

The polling company CrosbyTextor has been polling Australians on this since 2004. They report "strong support for marriage equality across all key survey respondents; finding that more people in every single group surveyed supported than opposed same-sex marriage. Of particular note:
That is a bit misleading by naming CrosbyTextor as running the poll, they are only the service provider. it would be fairer to say that Australian Marriage Equality, an obviously pro- SSM group has been polling Australians, and there is no doubt that they would be biased in the polling questions and analysis, as it's obviously in their interests to show results in favour of their goal.

Likewise the same for the No Voters.

I won't accept the results of any poll as genuine unless I can see the questions first. I don't know about this poll but I have seen others where it's plainly obvious the poll intends to be leading the voters towards a certain result.

If the poll here in this thread said:
Would you set your testicals on fire In support of same sex marriage?
Yes or No.
If the poll returned 99% No, would you accept the conclusion? No because the question is not fair.
2 users like this post:
Old 09-02-2016, 09:17 PM   #246
theBlake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Daz View Post

Lets all just put it to a bloody vote, respect the outcome and MOVE THE HELL ON!!!
However that's the problem. There has been crazy number of bills already submitted in parliament and all have failed, but 'they' won't accept a No vote, they just keep on coming.

If we have a plebiscite or a referendum, and it fails, that won't stop them. They will just call Australians bigots and find another way, like elect a Shorten.

I am more than happy to put it to a vote, Provided that, if it fails, then compulsory capital punishment for every single person that lobbies for it again.
I think that is fair.
2 users like this post:
Old 09-02-2016, 09:18 PM   #247
STEALTHY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBlake View Post
If the poll here in this thread said:
Would you set your testicals on fire In support of same sex marriage?
Yes or No.
If the poll returned 99% No, would you accept the conclusion? No because the question is not fair.
Everyone would accept the poll conclusion, as most people wouldn't set their balls on fire for anything!

Statistics can be made to say anything, but if its a simple as 'do you support marriage equality, yes or no', thats pretty easy to conclude those results!
Old 09-02-2016, 09:20 PM   #248
STEALTHY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
However that's the problem. There has been crazy number of bills already submitted in parliament and all have failed, but 'they' won't accept a No vote, they just keep on coming.

If we have a plebiscite or a referendum, and it fails, that won't stop them. They will just call Australians bigots and find another way, like elect a Shorten.

I am more than happy to put it to a vote, Provided that, if it fails, then compulsory capital punishment for every single person that lobbies for it again.
I think that is fair.
And why have they failed? Because the members have been forced to vote the way of their party, all followed on by what Abbotts personal stance was!

If they were allowed a free vote as per their own feelings, i bet itd be a signifigantly different result!

Of course, anti gay people wouldn't want this, as it will end up being supported, so they'll only accept 'votes' they know will fail ;)
Old 09-02-2016, 09:21 PM   #249
theBlake

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBourne View Post
Quick stat count, not that it really matters, but those who said that the general public would be against it, so far only 61/204 are against..
I think you have misinterpreted the poll. 58% of the pollsters are not for it.
2 users like this post:
Old 09-02-2016, 09:24 PM   #250
STEALTHY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I think you have misinterpreted the poll. 58% of the pollsters are not for it.
Speak for yourself in regards to misinterpreting polls.

42% are for it
30% are against it
28% dont care

What the poll results dont tell you, is how many of those 28% would vote for or against it, but that result seems normal on a straight male dominated forum.
Old 09-02-2016, 09:27 PM   #251
theBlake

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY View Post
Speak for yourself in regards to misinterpreting polls.

42% are for it.
Therefore 58% are not for it. Simple maths.
Old 09-02-2016, 09:31 PM   #252
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Why not start a new "yes or no" poll here?

The question being .......

"Do you support legalising gay marriage?"
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Old 09-02-2016, 09:33 PM   #253
STEALTHY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Therefore 58% are not for it. Simple maths.
Likewise, 70% aren't against it ;)

See what i mean, statistics can say anything you want them to ;)

Hence why i broke them down into 3 categories to better represent the data thats given ;)
Old 09-02-2016, 09:34 PM   #254
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

No reasons, no links to bull s h it statistics....
Just a simple yes or no!
Make it an anonymous poll if need be.
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Old 09-02-2016, 09:36 PM   #255
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks View Post
If two people want to get married, gay, lesbian, straight even Holden supporters. Then go right ahead and get married, it makes no difference to me.
Now you're gone way too far!
5 users like this post:
Old 09-02-2016, 09:41 PM   #256
theBlake

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY View Post
See what i mean, statistics can say anything you want them to ;)
I thought I was the one saying that first.

If you ask the same group of people, two YES/No questions like
A. Do you support same sex marriage been legalised
&
B. Do you object to same sex marriage been legalised.

the results won't be the same.

The Pro-SSM group ask question B in the polls because the voters who don't care are forced to vote No, Which allows them to Claim the don't cares as "support SSM"
3 users like this post:
Old 09-02-2016, 09:46 PM   #257
STEALTHY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I thought I was the one saying that first.

If you ask the same group of people, two YES/No questions like
A. Do you support same sex marriage been legalised
&
B. Do you object to same sex marriage been legalised.

the results won't be the same.

The Pro-SSM group ask question B in the polls because the voters who don't care are forced to vote No, Which allows them to Claim the don't cares as "support SSM"
I'll be honest, i've never seen question B asked. I've only ever seen question A (which would give the homophobes a better result, yet theres still a firm sway towards supporting marriage equality)
Old 09-02-2016, 09:55 PM   #258
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempted View Post
In a nutshell.. It is against all my morals and beliefs.

They believe they have the right to marry.... Well I believe I have the right to live my life without being exposed to their crap and having their views and ideologies shoved in my face on a daily basis.

All the gays in the world should just move to a remote island where they can all **** each other and marry and do whatever they like, far far away from the view of normal society.

There you go again assuming YOU are normal. You are normal according to your own opinions of the world.

I want to know what you are doing or where you are hanging out to have "gay ideologies" shoved in your face every day.
The only time I hear anything about gay marriage is online in discussions like this or on the odd news report. Not something I come across in everyday life.

I personally know at least 6 homosexuals in real life. Half male, half female. I can't think of one time where they tried to shove things in my face.
In my experience talking with these people, we talk about regular things that I would talk to straight people about.
Not once has an gay person I know told me about their personal sex life. Nothing they have ever done or said has affected my personal life in any way.
These people seam pretty 'normal' to me. The only difference is they like different stuff in the bedroom.
Hell there are some straight people who like some pretty weird things in the bedroom, should those people be sent to an island to practice their nasty fetishes?
5 users like this post:
Old 09-02-2016, 09:58 PM   #259
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
There you go again assuming YOU are normal. You are normal according to your own opinions of the world.

I want to know what you are doing or where you are hanging out to have "gay ideologies" shoved in your face every day.
The only time I hear anything about gay marriage is online in discussions like this or on the odd news report. Not something I come across in everyday life.

I personally know at least 6 homosexuals in real life. Half male, half female. I can't think of one time where they tried to shove things in my face.
In my experience talking with these people, we talk about regular things that I would talk to straight people about.
Not once has an gay person I know told me about their personal sex life. Nothing they have ever done or said has affected my personal life in any way.
These people seam pretty 'normal' to me. The only difference is they like different stuff in the bedroom.
Hell there are some straight people who like some pretty weird things in the bedroom, should those people be sent to an island to practice their nasty fetishes?
Truly that is a feat of biological engineering. Six at that...
Old 09-02-2016, 10:04 PM   #260
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Equality for all.
6 users like this post:
Old 09-02-2016, 10:07 PM   #261
Trump
bitch lasagne

I walk away from the forum for a couple of hours and nek minit...

Like I said earlier, the (in effect) 24/7 blanket coverage of marriage rights by the mainstream media is due to people much higher in the political food chain than your average Joe. They have an agenda and they don't give a toss about the gay and lesbian community at all.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:17 PM   #262
STEALTHY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So if they don't give a toss then what's in it for them?
Votes? You know those things they need to get in office ;)
2 users like this post:
Old 09-02-2016, 10:24 PM   #263
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
The current government is against it, so that's obviously not the case.

The mainstrean media seems to be pushing it the hardest. What's in it for them?
Follow the money tempted.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:38 PM   #264
STEALTHY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The current government is against it, so that's obviously not the case.

The mainstrean media seems to be pushing it the hardest. What's in it for them?
But any party that supports it, unlocks a huge amount of votes (protip, the parties not currently in ;))

The media are bottom feeders either way, they just push what will get clicks. At the moment, marriage equality is that click bait!
2 users like this post:
Old 09-02-2016, 10:51 PM   #265
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

That's enough, you've had your fun.

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
Closed Thread