Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 03-06-2016, 04:08 PM   #91
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Default Re: Cav's Fabulous AUII Fairlane Sportsman

Well, he did survive the fondle of his you know whatsits. Then again if he has his wife looking over the pair of them then he should be OK. So depends where he puts his hands I suppose.
olfella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2016, 05:00 PM   #92
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Plugs are in!

What was all the BS about number 6 spark plug? I fell for it and spent $1.05 on some half inch tubing that I didn't need because the spark plug thingy held the plug nice and tight.

And no problems with access.

Plugs show that the Fairlane is running lean. I dunno, is 19.5l/100kms lean!

OK so youse is all wondering wot I broke eh?

I couldn't unclip the O2 sensor. I climbed on top of the mudguard, but my gut prevented me from hanging upside down into the engine bay to unclip it.

And what about replacing the new leads? They disappear into the bowels of the engine bay somewhere. How in the hell do I get access to where they disappear to?

Thanks for nuthin' guys
Cav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-06-2016, 05:25 PM   #93
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Changing the leads is where the stunning gorgeous blonde comes to assist Cav. She will have nice small hands that can fit between all the bits the remove and replace them. Do you any ramps? As it can be easier to attack them from below - hence my reference to having her lay besides you.

If you have a jug, a teapot and a spare mug I could take a run up your way one day and give you a hand if you wish. When the rain goes and we get the nice sunny days though.
Old 03-06-2016, 06:02 PM   #94
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by olfella View Post
Changing the leads is where the stunning gorgeous blonde comes to assist Cav. She will have nice small hands that can fit between all the bits the remove and replace them. Do you any ramps? As it can be easier to attack them from below - hence my reference to having her lay besides you.

If you have a jug, a teapot and a spare mug I could take a run up your way one day and give you a hand if you wish. When the rain goes and we get the nice sunny days though.
I know you mate, you just wanna get your hands on the blonde '-)
This user likes this post:
Old 03-06-2016, 06:24 PM   #95
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

Sounds more like a bromance boys, you should take it to another forum
Blue Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2016, 07:22 PM   #96
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
I know you mate, you just wanna get your hands on the blonde '-)
Well I do have all my own hair an teeff and I drive a Ford So I must be in with a chance hey?
Old 04-06-2016, 05:35 PM   #97
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

A bit wet today.

Having failed to replace the plug leads, and not being able to disconnect the O2 sensor because my gut got in the way - things are going along as I expected.

We went downtown this morning because I wanted to address two issues:

Lighting and security.

Lighting

I have a torch to see into the engine bay but no matter what I am doing, the beam shines in my face while I'm trying to find that nut by feel. What I needed was a decent lantern.

I stumbled on this work of art and I couldn't wait to set her up in the engine bay.

I wuz really impressed with this mini LED lantern, I'm going back on Monday to buy another 4 so I can actually see what I am doing in the engine bay.

Security

This is a biggy. You don't want to loose your car keys or have some DH find them and drive away in your mighty chariot with all your moaning wimin.

I discovered this gem. No it's not a gem but a fake rock. You put your keys in it and hid it in the garden. No one will know.

The first thing you will notice is that I didn't put the fake rock in the garden - it is obvious why, I didn't want to lose my keys.

This is a great idea when you think about it. I may invest in the company and make a $squillion. In my case I need a bigger rock because as you can see it doesn't quite hid my keys.

Oh, and another thing. The packaging says not to leave the fake rock outdoors as it is not weather proof; and the colours may fade.
7 users like this post:
Old 04-06-2016, 08:44 PM   #98
4vxc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

be careful where you put that rock, I know where you live.
they were talking about no.6 plug being difficult but that's on latter ones like your Ghia
I hate to tell you Cav, but get someone to do the leads and 02 for you, will save a lot of grief
4vxc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2016, 09:05 PM   #99
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4vxc View Post
be careful where you put that rock, I know where you live.
they were talking about no.6 plug being difficult but that's on latter ones like your Ghia
I hate to tell you Cav, but get someone to do the leads and 02 for you, will save a lot of grief
Yeah mate a lot of DH on here bum drummin' me especially that guy from Victoria. I notice he has been real quiet lately. Is there a corner in Ford Forums where we send the naughty boys? $1.05 the piece of 1/2 inch tube cost me. Luckily I didn't get a metre.

I have the Fairlane booked in to the mechanic on Wednesday. So far his jobs are to replace damaged boots on steering rack and replace fuel filter. I suppose I have to add replace leads and O2 sensor.

I should be able to change the oil and filter when I get the other 27 lanterns so I can see what I am doing.

Cleaning the throttle body should be a breeze unless I break something.

Then all jobs are done on the Fairlane.

I am expecting an improvement on the fuel consumption of 19.5l/100kms

No wait... I forgot about the driver's side floor mat.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:40 PM   #100
4vxc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

get the coolant checked while its there and also check the high pressure hose coming off the p/steering pump. Its the one with the nut on it, very common for them to leak then it will end up frying the alternator as a special party trick. If you cant see any leak and it feels dry around the outlet its all good.
Other thing to check is the t/chain tensioner for oil leaks
4vxc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2016, 10:50 PM   #101
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4vxc View Post
get the coolant checked while its there and also check the high pressure hose coming off the p/steering pump. Its the one with the nut on it, very common for them to leak then it will end up frying the alternator as a special party trick. If you cant see any leak and it feels dry around the outlet its all good.
Other thing to check is the t/chain tensioner for oil leaks
No leaks mate except for the transmission sump but that wuz fixed when I had the transmission flushed. Mechanic went over when I first bought the car, so not much left to do now.

BTW I have resurrected my old blog if you'd like to take a look.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:38 AM   #102
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

OK guys - If I put the FGXR wheels on the Fairlane will it look like ****?
2 users like this post:
Old 05-06-2016, 01:40 AM   #103
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Depends .... have found FG wheels actually suit a lot of the earlier models.

19" FG G6E wheels would look awesome on the Lane.

I think the FGII XR wheels would look pretty good still.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2016, 06:14 AM   #104
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k View Post
Depends .... have found FG wheels actually suit a lot of the earlier models.

19" FG G6E wheels would look awesome on the Lane.

I think the FGII XR wheels would look pretty good still.
Yeah but, what if it was moving ;-)
2 users like this post:
Old 05-06-2016, 06:40 AM   #105
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Have you found a decent set of the FGII wheels??? Or just contemplating what to get?
Old 05-06-2016, 10:36 AM   #106
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

I have them on my mint BFII Fairmont Ghia, Mechan1k

Old 05-06-2016, 10:05 PM   #107
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Nice indeed.
How many cars do you have at the moment ... I keep losing track.
Didn'ty you get an SZII Territory and FGX ute recently?
Old 05-06-2016, 11:58 PM   #108
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Only four cars mate ......

2001 AUII Ford Fairlane Sportsman
2007 Ford Fairmont Ghia (you know the one with the GERMAN gearbox)
2011 Holden VEII ute (my wife's car)
2015 Ford Territory SZII TS AWD diesel

Do try to keep up Kent!
Old 06-06-2016, 03:41 PM   #109
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

OK service done, everything went to plan, sort of.

First problem was where to get under the Fairlane. I usually do it on the back car port. Only problem was the Fairmont Ghia is there.

Out the front, The Fairlane is in the garage.

So to change the oil out back I need to put the Ute on the road, back the Territory onto the road as well and back out the Ghia. Then drive the Fairlane out back - but, but, the soil is really wet.

Scratch plan A

OK, Leave Territory and Ghia where they are. Move ute onto road and change oil in garage - Oops, ceiling in gargae too low.

So onto plan C

Oops, I've already mangled the aerial on the garage door, so I had to put some cloth to save the bonnet from the same fate.

From then on I had no problems. You don't believe me do you?

I couldn't get the oil filler off. Some gorilla must have tightened it. I managed to swear at it a few times and that did the trick. I thought my filter spanner was going to tear it to shreds!

Air filter was OK, just a bash or two onto the concrete and it was OK.

Service done - time for a fang!

Drove 5 kilometres at 100kms/h - this was the fuel consumption.

Fairlane is safely tucked back into garage until Wednsday when mechanic does a couple of jobs for me.

Just love that AU dash.

Oh, I nearly forgot, I did spill some stuff...

I used a collapsible bucket to collect the oil ;-)
7 users like this post:
Old 06-06-2016, 04:00 PM   #110
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

Did you get the o2 sensor changed Cav? If so, you should probably reset the KAMS (old learnt fuelling) by disconnecting the battery, turn lights on and put foot on the brake for 2 minutes (this just ensure all stored energy in the system is drained). Reconnect battery. Fuel economy may not be so great after a KAM reset, but it will improve and you do not want to be running the car on previous learnt behaviour (potentially bad behaviour from old o2 sensor).

Cheers
Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH
auIILTD is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2016, 04:39 PM   #111
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

O2 sensor is going in Wednesday stu along with new fuel filter and new steering rack boots; and new leads.

Then all jobs done buy I'm sure I can find some more ;-)
2 users like this post:
Old 10-06-2016, 06:44 AM   #112
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Update on Fairlane.

Been too wet to do anything although I dunno which is worse: rain or frost.

Tomorrow will be frosty followed by a number of frosty days in a row. Now normally a frosty morning is a good thing except if your car is in it. Over the years I've found that it is best to cover the windscreen with paper, otherwise it becomes impossible to see outa the car when the frost melts but the car's heater is unable to clear the windscreen until the car warms up - so as you drive along, the windscreen continually fogs up.

The best thing about a frost is that it is usually followed by a beautiful sunny day - so that's when the Fairlane will emerge from the garage.

On Wednesday the mechanic did the final jobs on the car: boots on steering rack, fit O2 sensor, fit new leads and replace fuel filter. He also mentioned that the front brake on passenger side was dragging and he had to take the brake apart and wave his magic wand over it or something like that.

So off to the Snowy Mountains Hwy for a fang. I did this the other day after I serviced the car and put in new plugs. I felt that the acceleration was a bit doughy then. I also tested the brakes hard near home and the car did pull to the left so I wondering how long that brake had been dragging. I didn't mention the brakes to the mechanic and I was glad that he noticed there was a problem. He said he couldn't turn the wheel by hand when the car was up on the hoist. He also mentioned that the fuel filter was really clogged. Could that be why the plugs seemed to suggest the motor was running lean while at the same time fuel consumption was up because of the dragging brake?

My first reaction to hopping in the car was that the steering wheel was now off centre; the mechanic mustn't have a thingy that locks the steering wheel in position with a rod that pushes against the seat. I made a mental note to get a wheel alignment done as the previous owner put new tyres on the front just before I picked up the car so I dunno if I have a alignment problem or not; although it steers OK. I also noticed that the radio was still working - so no resetting of the computer by him.

So I rest it. Thanks to the blokes who told me how. And now the radio needs a code. I'm sure it is somewhere in the paperwork.

So with the fuel consumption readout punching out some enormous figures, I went for a fang.

Holy **** batman!

The old girl got up and went!!!

WOOHOO! Love those AUs

Now to find the radio code.
Old 10-06-2016, 07:05 AM   #113
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Why would anyone want to pinch the Ford head unit from an AU? They only last a couple of years before they won't give your CDs back.

So why in the hell did they decide to 'protect it' from being stolen by using a code?

The previous owner had the unit exchanged for an eye watering $500!!! I have the invoice. You would think that the code for the unit would be on the invoice, wouldn't you?

Bloody code.

I searched the glovebox and made a mental note of the fuses and NRMA breakdown number.

I searched the books, the owners manual and maintenance booklet.

I searched the invoices the owner kept. Three years ago she spent $1,000 on new plugs, new leads and fuel filter while getting the car serviced; so maybe I didn't really need to renew all that stuff I just renewed!

But no bloody code.

It gets worse. I tried '1234', it didn't work. I tried hitting the buttons and swearing - that didn't work either but it did achieve something - Mr ERR turned up!

I sent a message to the owner. Within minutes she text me the code. She did it from memory. How do we men compete with women's brains?

HOW DO YOU GET RID OF ERR?

The interweb is your friend. There's plenty of advice out there and it is all contradictory. So I did my own thing.

I removed the fuse. I didn't want to disconnect the battery and go through the computer rest procedure. I replaced the fuse.

ERR

So I removed the fuse again and went and had a rum (or two, but don't tell anyone).

ERR

Next was to put the keys in the ignition and turn them to ACC and at the same time turn the radio 'on.'

ERR

I went upstairs and watched Wheeler Dealers. I tape them from Foxtel. It was a repeat about a Fiat with a Dino engine in it. Forty minutes later I checked on the car.

CODE

Bewdy, I punched in the 4 digit code and voila! It works!

So to celebrate I ordered some Honky Tonk music from the US of A
4 users like this post:
Old 10-06-2016, 07:46 AM   #114
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

this is a brilliant thread, needs more mini dachshunds
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2016, 07:48 AM   #115
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

Quote:
Why would anyone want to pinch the Ford head unit from an AU? They only last a couple of years before they won't give your CDs back.

So why in the hell did they decide to 'protect it' from being stolen by using a code?

The previous owner had the unit exchanged for an eye watering $500!!! I have the invoice. You would think that the code for the unit would be on the invoice, wouldn't you?

Bloody code.

I searched the glovebox and made a mental note of the fuses and NRMA breakdown number.

I searched the books, the owners manual and maintenance booklet.

I searched the invoices the owner kept. Three years ago she spent $1,000 on new plugs, new leads and fuel filter while getting the car serviced; so maybe I didn't really need to renew all that stuff I just renewed!

But no bloody code.

It gets worse. I tried '1234', it didn't work. I tried hitting the buttons and swearing - that didn't work either but it did achieve something - Mr ERR turned up!

I sent a message to the owner. Within minutes she text me the code. She did it from memory. How do we men compete with women's brains?

HOW DO YOU GET RID OF ERR?

The interweb is your friend. There's plenty of advice out there and it is all contradictory. So I did my own thing.

I removed the fuse. I didn't want to disconnect the battery and go through the computer rest procedure. I replaced the fuse.

ERR

So I removed the fuse again and went and had a rum (or two, but don't tell anyone).

ERR

Next was to put the keys in the ignition and turn them to ACC and at the same time turn the radio 'on.'

ERR

I went upstairs and watched Wheeler Dealers. I tape them from Foxtel. It was a repeat about a Fiat with a Dino engine in it. Forty minutes later I checked on the car.

CODE

Bewdy, I punched in the 4 digit code and voila! It works!

So to celebrate I ordered some Honky Tonk music from the US of A
You should have been a poet
Blue Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2016, 10:26 PM   #116
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

OK I am considering replacing the Ford headunit with a double din one.

This is the Sony unit. I like Sony because the FM radios are good at picking up weak FM signals - great in the bush. I also like their DSO system. . CD/MP3/WMA/AAC/Tuner player with App Remote feature, front USB, iPod Control Feature, ZAPPIN, Quick-BrowZer, Advanced Sound Engine, Dynamic Color Illuminator and Bluetooth. Cost is $148 plus install costs

This is the JVC unit. JVC's KW-R920BT CD receiver covers just about all audio bases, including digital music, streaming Internet radio, and old-school music options, like CD and AM/FM radio. You can take hands-free calls, as well as switch between two paired phones using its built-in Bluetooth® It has 2 USB. Cost is $137 plus install.

Waddayousereckon?
Old 10-06-2016, 10:30 PM   #117
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

The first one. It seems better suited to your needs and you like that one more by the sounds of it.
PG2 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2016, 10:31 PM   #118
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Cranium View Post
this is a brilliant thread, needs more mini dachshunds

6 users like this post:
Old 10-06-2016, 10:31 PM   #119
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
OK I am considering replacing the Ford headunit with a double din one.

Waddayousereckon?
Alpine.
Old 10-06-2016, 10:36 PM   #120
b2tf
not here much anymore

Neither. Single DIN is going to look ordinary in there, as the factory dash curves at the bottom. A Double DIN will stick out.