Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 21-01-2019, 09:05 PM   #31
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Default Re: WQ Fiesta XR4/ST150 with Mazda SP25 engine

The XR4 has a 55mm throttle body. There is a 60mm throttle body swap available from one of the 2.3 models. Apparently.

But I found this on Aliexpress of all places, not sure whether it is truistable.... https://www.aliexpress.com/item/60mm...AbTest=ae803_4

Lukeyson
Old 22-01-2019, 05:06 PM   #32
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8falcons View Post
Interesting.. I'm leaning towards a mps 6spd gearbox LSD conversion for my xr4/st150... at the moment due to clutch issues, seems to have a answered a few questions.. On gearbox line ups.. Just need to sort out drive shafts and linkages..
Will be following this thread..
Hey there. I'd be interested in hearing more about this. What are your actual plans?

The Mazda 3 MPS is the FWD Tranny which I can see you using - the A26MR. I see that transmission also in the Turbo Diesel Mazda 6. The Diesel MZR-CD engine, however, is based on the earlier Mazda F engines and is not a bell housing match for the L/Duratec. Pity. We had Diesel Mazda 6's from all the way back to the first GG model. I see some forums with MX6/626 owners fawning over possibilities with this high-torque transmission.

The Mazda 6 MPS A26MX-R has the AWD take off - boy would I love to see you take that one on with a rear diff in a WP/WQ Fiesta and tell me how it's done! CX-7 has this tranny as well.

There are a litany of manual and auto transmissions for the Mazda 3 and Mazda 6. I have no idea what's what yet. Of the manuals I see G35M-R, G36M-R, A65M-R, G66M-R - PLUS the A26 variants. Some 5 speed, some 6 speed. Some with reverse syncro. Some 2 shaft, some 3 shaft. Some may not even be found in Oz since we never saw the V6 models. Too confusing.

Lukeyson
Old 22-01-2019, 07:51 PM   #33
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Hmm. The MkIII Mondeo, aka the CD132 platform, was not sold in Australia as I mentioned before - but the CD132 based Jaguar X-Type (X400) was sold in Oz.

Interestingly, the Jag's brake specs seem to match that of the ST170/Mondeo - 300mm fronts and 280mm rears.

And google turns up quite a few being wrecked around Australia. I shall ask around to see if this is an option - but from there we might find that the Jag bits might not be cheap.

Lukeyson

Last edited by Luke Plaizier; 22-01-2019 at 08:07 PM.
Luke Plaizier is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-01-2019, 09:00 PM   #34
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Confirmed. X-Type Jag Front Calipers are identical to Mondeo MkIII, and would "bolt on" (with a little drilling) to the ST150/XR4 fronts.

Lukeyson
Old 23-01-2019, 05:56 AM   #35
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi again,
Finally found the build thread I was looking for. Some guy in UK fitting an Ecoboost 2.0 in his Fiesta. The thread shows suspension upgrades, rear brake upgrades, engine mounts, and many other details.
https://passionford.com/forum/restor...ft-270whp.html

Cheers,
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2019, 09:37 PM   #36
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Nice thread, but that looks like a later WT Fiesta getting 2.0 Ecoboost rather the a WQ. Worth a read though.

Lukeyson
Old 25-01-2019, 10:54 AM   #37
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Perhaps it's this one you were thinking of? 2.3 Turbo build on a WQ/MK6. The exhaust manifold looks super scary - enough to push me in the direction of a supercharger instead.

https://passionford.com/forum/restor...rbo-w-i-p.html

Lukeyson
Old 25-01-2019, 10:58 AM   #38
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

A Facebook ST150 Turbo build - that's not a turbo yet by the looks of it.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/categ...1238560078964/

Lukeyson
Old 25-01-2019, 11:47 AM   #39
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Plaizier View Post
Just chatted to this guy, and he has plans to fit a Mazda 6 MPS drivetrain to it. Bonkers - but massively interesting! Something that Mr "V8falcons"might be interested in. Something that I'd be interested in too if maybe we had some kind of bulk-fab-and-buy for linkages, mounts and shafts, even for the FWD Mazda 3 MPS version. But then again, AWD goodness, if it's easy enough, makes it feel like a cheap competitor against Project Binky if it ever finishes.

Lukeyson

Last edited by Luke Plaizier; 25-01-2019 at 12:04 PM.
Old 25-01-2019, 03:04 PM   #40
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy1 View Post
Hi again,
I was looking for a build thread for a guy that fitted Ecoboost 2.0 in his newer Fiesta.
Instead I found this thread, an older Fiesta getting turbo kit:

https://www.fiestaturbo.com/forums/f...d6ac3&start=35
Cheers,
That link was a summarised thread - the original thread is 100 pages(!!) long and I found it here:
https://www.fiestastoc.com/forums/to...rd-prep/page-1

I signed up to that forum just so I could read that thread. Time to start reading.

Lukeyson
Old 25-01-2019, 03:38 PM   #41
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

From what I can see, it looks like it was 'Car Innovations' that supplied the turbo manifold for the Jamsport Fiesta ST150 kit that is no longer for sale. Jamsport still appear to do Supercharger kits though. Two key pieces to a Fiesta XR4 turbo conversion that I wouldn't have the capability to develop something custom would be the Exhaust Manifold and the Intercooler. There are intercoolers for sale still that will bolt into the front of the fiesta. And there are a gazillion Duratech turbo manifolds that I can see for sale - but getting one that tucks the turbo down between the firewall and the engine as per the turbo build thread above looks to be a bit tricky. The rest is mainly intercooler and intake piping (aside from a custom dump pipe, depending on the best turbo to use for the 2.5).

The website is currently down - but they too look to be on Facebook

Lukeyson
Old 25-01-2019, 11:11 PM   #42
xr6turbomk

Good read mate, i have a xr4 and wouldn't mind upgrading a few things here and there. My engine 2l duratech has had a rough live and it was time to change it, iv pulled the car apart to replace the engine, but i got the mod bug and thought could i put a 2.3 litre in there, so iv been looking around and searching forums here and there and found it hard to find any information. Anyway i found myself a low kay 2litre and bought it as i need the car on road soon as possible. I sent my ib5 gearbox to get resealed as it was leaking and had the builder call me back saying that the box is ruined as the case hardening was all gone. First wrecker i called and he told me he has a xr4 at the back of the yard with a mtx75 conversion, i was on to it and bought the whole conversion. I thing now i will be just turbocharging the 2l.
xr6turbomk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2019, 11:21 PM   #43
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Nice.

I'm finding it hard to get details on the engine mounts and driveshafts required for the MTX75. Just one forum has mentioned using the shafts from a Petrol Mk2 Focus but it sounded unconvincing. Others have alluded to custom shafts. Are yours all installed? Or is there an opportunity to take pics and measurements?

Lukeyson
Old 25-01-2019, 11:28 PM   #44
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

I see reference to a kit that use to be available from SiCo Developments. The old url is: https://www.sico-developments.co.uk/...box-conversion. But that link is no longer live.

So I checked the Wayback machine for past versions, and found one cached copy from 2015. The kit is described as follows:

========================
For sale is a conversion I have designed to replace the standard IB5 that the fiesta ST was cursed with lol The IB5+ is prone to blowing up and not being able to take the power of the ST so this gearbox conversion was created to fit a gearbox designed to take the power.

This conversion is designed for approximately 150-200bhp cars and comes with OEM quality clutch replacement parts but paddle clutch options are available for an additional cost.

The parts in this conversion are:
Low mileage compatable MTX75 gearbox + new uprated slave cylinder
MTX75 gear linkage and gear lever
Painted conversion brackets to fit the MTX75 to the ST and the new gear lever to the ST
MTX75 conversion driveshaft parts
MTX75 conversion OEM quality clutch
OEM gearbox lower bracket

Fitting instuctions if needed
=========================
Old 25-01-2019, 11:41 PM   #45
xr6turbomk

mine is still all bolted on the wreck, the wreckers are going to strip it apart next week, i may have t fix or replace a shaft as it got hit on one side and the wheel was pushed in a bit.
Old 26-01-2019, 12:11 AM   #46
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

I am seeing some comments that the MTX in the XR4/ST150 comes quite close to fouling the suspension at one of the CV's if the engine/box is not mounted quite right - one reporting the CV boot clip kept getting dislodged.. That is something of interest to me - since I'm looking at the Mazda 6 L5 with the 15mm higher deck height, using lowered engine mounts might be constrained by the future option of having an MTX go in....

Lukeyson
Old 26-01-2019, 09:12 AM   #47
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

OK. That SiCo developments thread. If you are on the lookout for this, try the term 'Fiesta STT500'. The build was back in 2011.

These are pics of the original Turbo setup. The turbo was on a manifold directly between the engine and the firewall. Later it was this car that used a custom manifold and moved the turbo closer to the battery box, and they did a battery relocation. When I get to that bit in the thread I'll find out why. But in the meantime, pics of the original:

Lukeyson

Last edited by Luke Plaizier; 26-01-2019 at 09:23 AM.
Old 26-01-2019, 09:36 AM   #48
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

The closest I can see on eBay is this one - most of the other Duratec manifolds, seem to point the T25/T3/T4 upwards.

Luke
Old 26-01-2019, 12:35 PM   #49
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Quote:
The closest I can see on eBay is this one - most of the other Duratec manifolds, seem to point the T25/T3/T4 upwards.
Meh...

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/cast-iro...frcectupt=true

"cast iron turbo exhaust manifold for MAZDA M3/M6 FORD FOCUS DURATEC 2.3L" = $129.00AU

Lukeyson
Old 26-01-2019, 11:46 PM   #50
xr6turbomk

wonder if that will work with the fiesta
Old 27-01-2019, 08:30 AM   #51
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Good question. Location and spacing are tight.

Here's an Aliexpress option:

Kinugawa Turbo Manifold Kit T25 Flange for Mazda 3 5 6 7 MZR 2.0L 2.3L

If I were honest, this one looks the closes so far. The Mazda MPS factory version is offset - and the offset would be useful, if only they weren't so deep and not likely to fit between the block and the firewall in the fiesta. Let me see if I can dig up a pic to show the offset.

Lukeyson

Last edited by Luke Plaizier; 27-01-2019 at 08:39 AM.
Old 27-01-2019, 08:33 AM   #52
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

The manifold on the Mazda MPS seems to offset the Turbo mount towards the "back" of the engine.

There's an aftermarket Billet version that is way expensive:

Lukeyson
Old 27-01-2019, 11:03 AM   #53
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Still on Aliexpress. There's an offset MPS manifold with pictures of a K04 attached that has caused me to reassess.

Manifold Only - $215AUD shipped

Manifold+ K04 $790AUD shipped - now this one is worth looking at because it gives you a view that shows how much space you have between the turbo and the block. And yes, I am aware that I should not buy a turbo from China...

This one includes all the above plus a dump pipe - $875 AUD shipped.

I'm now curious to see some closer pictures of an MPS engine and how the intercooler piping is routed.

One thing I do note from the images of the STT500 above - the location between the block and the firewall with a centralised manifold was abandoned because of problems routing piping. In one picture you can see how the rear engine mount is a serious impediment to the dump pipe. The MPS offset would solve this. But the downward facing cold-side outlet would likely foul on the gearbox if offset further.

I wish I could link to the Aliexpress images but I haven't found a way yet.

Lukeyson
Old 27-01-2019, 11:16 AM   #54
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

OK, trying to snip, save and post links:

Shots show spacing between K04 and block:

From the top

From the bottom:

Now an image showing the approximate height of the runners above the manifold flange:

Lukeyson
Old 27-01-2019, 11:51 AM   #55
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Just re-reading some posts about the 2.5L again - the K04 which comes on the 2.3 and as shown above is not recommended as it overboosts the 2.5 at low rpm.

A GT2871R however would work and would spool up quick enough. The GT3071R would get better peak boost at higher rpm.

This is the Aliexpress item above with the downpipe attached. Comparing to the STT500 images with the downpipe, it looks like it routes roughly similar.

Lukeyson
Old 27-01-2019, 01:01 PM   #56
xr6turbomk

nice options mate. really getting tempted lol.
Old 28-01-2019, 02:50 PM   #57
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Some interesting content in this discussion. A quick discussions re: a 2.5 swap from a Ford Fusion into a Fiesta.

Post #16 is of interest. "We have installed a 2.3l (same as the 2.5l) into our Fiesta. It fits fine. No possibility of using the stock ECU. If you use the Focus (pre 2012) transmission, us can use the Focus axles. They fit into the Fiesta knuckles...". The 2.3 they talk of is the DISI motor - Direct Injection and twin VCT. Not applicable here on the standard 2.5 as we've discussed. But it's the 2nd time I've seen reference to using the Focus MKII driveshafts on the Focus MTX75 gearbox fitting the Fiesta knuckles.

Lukeyson
Old 28-01-2019, 03:10 PM   #58
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Fiesta ST 150 External dimensions:

length:3921 mm
width:1683 mm
height:1468 mm
wheelbase:2486 mm
front track width:1464 mm
rear track width:1434 mm
ground clearance:140 mm

ST150 Standard Wheel Offset is 52.5mm, which means the hub to hub dimensions are 1569mm

Focus MkII Dimensions

length:4481 mm
width:1839 mm
height:1497 mm
wheelbase:2640 mm
front track width:1535 mm
rear track width:1531 mm

The standard offset for the Mk2 Focus also looks to be around 50mm.

So I'm calling bunk. While the MkII knuckles might fit he stubs, I'm not convinced that they are the correct length base on the front track width differences of about 8cm between the two.

Lukeyson
Old 28-01-2019, 04:09 PM   #59
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

I wanted to find a specific reference to the deck height differences between the Duratec motors - but struggled. A lot of people talking about bits from one fitting into another. Some blocks the same, some different. Confused me. It looks to me like many of the 2.3L Fiesta upgrades in the UK are mainly internals swaps on the 2.0 block.

But I did find one place that provided a formula:

Deck Height = Stroke/2 + Rod Length (Centre to Centre) + Compression Height

The Bore/Stroke is available from the Wikipedia reference easy enough. But the Rod Length was harder to find - I eventually everything found in a table here

I'm going to assume the compression height will be the same across all versions.

And all together:

Which finally confirms it for me. The 1.8 and the 2.0 share the same stroke, rod length and deck height dimensions, while the 2.3 and the 2.5 share the same deck height dimensions but do so with differences in stroke and rod length.

I'm still trying to research the impact the 14mm deck height change would have on the standard headers in the fiesta. But at least now I'll know if it works for the 2.3, as long as it was a full block swap and not just internals, the same should be the case for the 2.5.

Lukeyson
Old 28-01-2019, 09:31 PM   #60
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Quote:
I'm now curious to see some closer pictures of an MPS engine and how the intercooler piping is routed.
The answer is - the compressor feeds upwards almost directly to the top-mounted intercooler, then feeds down the other side to the intake plenum. Elegant. Although the routing on the intake side looks interesting.

Breakaway view of the Turbo side.

Turbo side MPS wrecker motor:

Intake side on an MPS wrecker motor. The Plenum and throttle body sits down quite low by the looks of it:

Lukeyson