Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 24-10-2010, 12:35 AM   #1
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unhappy Dementia, my mum and our public Health System in WA.

I never knew how bad our Public Health System is it was untill I had experienced it for myself today.

Ill keep the intro brief but for the past 5 years or so I have been a live in carer for my mum (61) who has Dementia and emphysema.
It started off with her getting lost on the roads about 10yrs ago and doing "ditzy" things which we all thought was just her being silly. Then things started to slowly go "wrong" like forgetting how to do simple things like making a coffee to tying her shoe laces to knowing how to turn on the TV with the remote controll.

I was managing ok with doing all her cooking, cleaning, finances - much like looking after a child I suppose. With GREAT help from Alzheimers Australia with respite and home help from Amana Living.
But the past few weeks things got bad where I would wake up in the morning with mum screaming HELP ME! & THIS ISN'T RIGHT! she was uncontrollable and crying like a little girl.
One morning last week it was super bad and down right scary, like she had lost her mind and gone mad.

So I called an ambulance ($440 for non urgent) and she was taken to a Hospital ( I dont want to name it) any way before I vent I must say the nurses are AMAZING and are my new hero's.

Ok so heres what happend...

She was taken to a room and stayed over night and diagnosed with delerium.
The next day the doctors said she is on new drugs, she is fine and can go home I got the vibe that they just wanted her out of a bed but she looked fine and agreed.

Next morning same thing happend but WORSE!
Called another Ambo ($770 for lights and sirens)
on admission the Doctors said she might be able to go home the next day, I told them to sodd off and I made the very sad decision and told the doctors and social workers that I can no longer care for her and she must go to nursing home care.

SO anyway I went to visit her and the lift I got in to go to level 6 went strait to the roof level then all the way back down to the basement where it paused for a few seconds before heading back up and opening the doors back on ground level. A lady with a pram stepped in pressed the level 7 button which the button light did not work.
We had a chuckle that it wont stop (I did not mention to her what had just happend to me) anyway it did the same thing - up to roof then basement then level 6.... and nothing, the doors did not open and the lift does not have a "door open" button. SO I tucked my fingers in the door gap and prized the door open, the lady was quite stressed and I told her to get out and get another lift. (Since then my lift and height nighmares have gone to a new level so to speak) I later found out that Surgeons do not use that lift as it is unpredictable.

SO I went to mums room and the nurses told me the staff are on strike and cant feed her, I got a bit angry and a nurse surrenderd her dinner for my mum which was very very very nice of her but totally wrong!

Then on my way out I paid the $10 parking fee and drove to the boom gate where it would not open, the cars banked up behind me honking, I had to ask them all to revers up to let me out. Then the boom gate opend and stayed up! we all drove out.

Collin Barnett, Please pay hospital staff MORE! they are saving lives! im getting payed more than them and im a horticulturalist for the government.
And please mr Barnett, pump some more money into improving the facilities.

And to you guys, Look after your minds! My mum does not remember me at all now and tells me to F off now when she sees me. Its totally heart breaking. She's only 61 - this kind of thing happens at 80ish.
The studies show that the amount of people with dementia in Australia will blow out from thousands to the millions VERY QUICKLY!

ANYTHING that gives you memory loss is considerd to be dementia related, drugs, chemicals, alcohol and in my mums case smoking heavily.

Im sorry if this is a long post and the lecture but I need to get my experience off my chest and make it aware to you all.

Whitty.

Click here to see my ute

Last edited by fordOwner; 24-10-2010 at 12:41 AM.
fordOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2010, 12:51 AM   #2
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Whitty

I honestly don't know what to say to you other than you have my respect and admiration for what you are doing for your Mum and my condolences for what you are going through. My Mum is full time carer for my 93yo grandmother and whilst she still has all her marbles, physically and emotionally the old girl is a wreck and we will have to make a tough decision on her future soon. I can empathise with your situation.

I was aware there was a general services strike on at some WA metro hospitals but a personal account brings it into another reality. Whilst the Liberal-National Government has dropped the ball on developing health services in WA, the blame cannot be placed entirely at their feet. This issue has been festering away, getting bigger with every passing year, for the past 10 years. If anything, the previous Labor government is to blame because they failed to account for the effects of an ageing population on our existing health infrastructure, failed to deal with crisis after crisis in the health system, and squandered the opportunities provided during the mining boom which provided the state with the cash flow to improve the state's health infrastructure. I don't want to make it sound like I am a Liberal party stooge by sticking up for them (I work in Government as well and I hate the bastards) but from what I can gather there has been quite a few things put in train to make amends. Doesn't make your lot any better though, not in the short term anyway.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2010, 12:58 AM   #3
WMD351
Size it up

Whitty, my heart goes out to you mate. I know first hand what caring for someone with dementia is like, and I can only say good luck and stay strong.
Wal
WMD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2010, 01:05 AM   #4
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks Road Warrior & WMD351 for the kind words, Its grief from loss on another level as my mum is still alive but I have "lost her" in a sence. But councillors have been warning me for years that one day my mum will forget me and to be prepared. Especially with Early onset (younger age) dementia things will take a sharp turn quickly one day compared to older onset where the decline in mind loss goes slower.

Yes I agree the previous governments have dropped the ball especially by spending some big bucks on silly things here in Perth in the past but I wont even go into that as I get frustrated.
I do however applaud Collins desicion to build the new Fionna Stanley hospital and keep Royal Perth but we need to pay nurses and staff more and fix existing facilites.

Click here to see my ute

Last edited by fordOwner; 24-10-2010 at 01:17 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 24-10-2010, 01:05 AM   #5
gtfpv
GT

thanks for sharing mate . this is a good place to vent .
my advice is just hang in there .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2010, 01:10 AM   #6
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

gtfpv, Thanks buddy, I plan on staying strong. And Im downing Fish oil tablets like no tomorrow!

I feel sad but I know she is in safe hands.
I dont feel safe tho having to prize open lift doors with my own hands.

Click here to see my ute
Old 24-10-2010, 01:28 AM   #7
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordOwner
gtfpv, Thanks buddy, I plan on staying strong. And Im downing Fish oil tablets like no tomorrow!

I feel sad but I know she is in safe hands.
I dont feel safe tho having to prize open lift doors with my own hands.
good on you mate. remember your only human too , and you need looking after aswell . so make sure you have friends to speak to and a good counsilor . no doubt you would be doing it tough , but get some time out for yourself now . your mum is in good hands , and it seems you have done everything right . there is no more you can do . cheers , and keep your chin up .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2010, 01:33 AM   #8
AussieAV

Lost mum to a long dementia battle about a year ago now, and now fighting to get dad treated properly for cancer. He was diagnosed with cancer December last year, took till March to do the tests to see exactly what it was. Had early stages of a "very agressive" cancer. I thought right, that must mean action, but its taken us 7 months to finish his first 6 week treatment.

Public health in WA is a constant battle, trouble is we're trying to fight a flawed system, and the main contact you have with that system is the nurses, who are fighting just as hard as we are. You can see in their eyes that they are just as frustrated with the lack of resources. Agree with you that they are amazing.

fordOwner, I know how hard it must have been to not take your mum home, but you made the right decision, and I for one think it was a courageous decision as well. Its one of the hardest calls to make.
Originally Posted by flappist
Some people drive to go places others go places to drive.......
AussieAV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2010, 01:40 AM   #9
Fled74
The Thread Killa

Man, I can't even begin to imagine what you and your family are going through.
Best of luck with everything, and my prayers go with you.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2010, 01:47 AM   #10
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow AussieAV. **Pats on the back** Life for some like our parents really gets harder as we get older aye.
Thanks too Fled74 - what makes it harder is im an only child, my dad has passed and I dont have much family.
I was never much of a family guy but now I see how important they are. Having children has never ever interested me but imagining being in a position stuck in hospital with no one visiting would be so sad.

Click here to see my ute
Old 24-10-2010, 02:11 AM   #11
munkky
turbo mafia

good luck mate stay strong. i was in royal melb in feb truma word and they where a1 but they dont know how to push the beds around every time thay where pushing me around i would hit the wall but we had a laugh. all in good fun.
anyways good luck mate

2008 FG G6E TURBO
AND YES IT HAS A LSD
ORSM F.C.
munkky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2010, 02:17 AM   #12
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

haha funny. I must say, I want one of those hospital beds! Awesome how the mattress folds up by motors.

Click here to see my ute
Old 24-10-2010, 02:31 AM   #13
Bobman
Regulator

I feel for you mate. It's really disappointing how the health system is in such shambles across the nation, yet other rubbish gets funding (such as Grand Prix, Self promotion, e.t.c).

My grandmother has been suffering from dementia for many years. It started in her late 60s and is hard to see but also very frustrating.

Hang in there and do talk about it with people. You've done really well by looking after her so well by what you said.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2010, 02:41 AM   #14
munkky
turbo mafia

Quote:
haha funny. I must say, I want one of those hospital beds! Awesome how the mattress folds up by motors.
as soon as i got the controls me and my mate was ocupied for about 1/2 an hour with bed goes up bed goes down bed goes up bed goes down hehe.
btw we found out that my grandpa has got prostate cancer and it shits us cos his in shep and we are in melbourne 1.5hours away if something gose wrong its the drive that is stuffed we cant speed. on the 27.10 we find out if he can have kemo and if he can his gotta moove down here

2008 FG G6E TURBO
AND YES IT HAS A LSD
ORSM F.C.
munkky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2010, 02:41 AM   #15
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

good on ya bobman!

Scientists say Alzheimers could be cured within 5 years with recommended australian funding but because of the trickle of money being given it will take 20 years.
The pressure on our health system in the future will be huge because of the lack of funding now.

Click here to see my ute
Old 24-10-2010, 02:47 AM   #16
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Words would not suffice for what I would like to convey, however I will say that with my own grandparents slowly slipping away into their own little world, I have some sort of idea as to what you're going through, and have nothing but admiration for you to come onto a public forum and share your experiences with everyone. It may even help others with what they are going through themselves.

Truely, I offer my heartfelt best wishes to you and your family. It is tough making the decision to place a loved one into an aged care facility, however you need to remind yourself that they are experienced with taking care of people in all sort of conditions, and far better equipt to deal with whatever situation may arise.

Regards,

Grandpa_Spec_AU
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2010, 03:02 AM   #17
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks grandpaSpecAu im amazed at how many of you guys are wishing me well, especially after the long post I wrote (as long posts put me off reading them)
I am fully aware this is a motoring related forum especially a Ford forum, and I dont want to tarnish that or turn it into a sob story forum. But as an enthusiastic Ford guy (with a restored XH ute) I feel as you guys are "family" in a sence as we all have the same interests and understangs so I feel safe to vent on here. actually this is the ONLY social site im a member of - Never been on facebook or myspace or anything like that.

Click here to see my ute
Old 24-10-2010, 03:13 AM   #18
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

You're not winging or crying 'poor me' as far as I'm concerned, you're just voicing your opinion and sharing experiences which can benefit us all, and highlight a major issue currently facing our country.

Besides, it's posted in 'The Bar' and the last time I checked it was for 'non-automotive' related chatter

I have also experienced the horror that is the public health system, ironically my gf's health insurance no longer applied as the day she fell ill was the very day she 'officially' was no longer a uni student, therefore, her parents health care no longer covered her.

24 hours, a guy covered in blood, a lady screaming her lungs out, a lady who'd been put through a window by her boyfriend and a guy who overdosed on acid, meth, coke, speed and about 10 other drugs later, she was finally moved into a 'proper' ward.

Doctors had no clue and were running around in a state of utter chaos, nurses (as mentioned) were just the most amazing lot of people you could wish for, and I gladly support any raises or benefits being handed out to them.

GSAU.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2010, 03:15 AM   #19
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
I am fully aware this is a motoring related forum especially a Ford forum, and I dont want to tarnish that or turn it into a sob story forum. But as an enthusiastic Ford guy (with a restored XH ute) I feel as you guys are "family" in a sence as we all have the same interests and understangs so I feel safe to vent on here. actually this is the ONLY social site im a member of - Never been on facebook or myspace or anything like that.
Mate everyone needs to vent about things that are torturing them, just that some of us feel more comfortable doing it this way. I'm having some difficulties of my own - completely different to yours though - I dread going to work and my partner has just told me she is pregnant and I am really struggling with it. Not sure whether I will start a thread on that yet.

Some things were sent to try us and try us they do, but if you can't talk to someone (who is willing to listen) about them then we have failed as a society.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2010, 03:32 AM   #20
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You guys are legends.

All I can say is Road Warrior, imagine laying in hospital in the future and your son/daughter comes to visit you coz he/she loves you.

Click here to see my ute
Old 24-10-2010, 10:46 AM   #21
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unfortunately our entire Hospital system Australia wide is in crisis.
The staff are run of their feet and under paid.
Here in QLD the staff are still experiencing incorrect payments of their wages as the new pay system program doesnt work. Its been over 10months now and still not fixed.
Its all but forgotten by the media and the pollies dont care.

Many years ago I used to fly medical transfers to brisbane from townsville, mackay ...
Within 2 mins of getting in the plane the doctor and nurse would be asleep. I would hear horror stories that they regularly work 4 to 5 days straight with only one or 2 hrs sleep in that period.

The staff were also professionals, putting up with what that do takes an incredible strain on them and its been said a lot of staff suffer for depression.

Its a sad state of affairs..
The reality is we need to stand beside these people in order for the governments to do something.

My mum is also gettin on a bit, though she isnt too bad.
She does suffer sometimes from forgetfulness.
But at 87 she does ok for now and id hate to have to make a decision about putting her into care in the future if she gets worse....

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2010, 11:05 AM   #22
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

People like you mate are the ones who deserve things such as Australian of the year and things like that, you do your best in an obviously very hard situation but the main thing is you did your best for your mum, you and all the others out there who care for people like your mum really deserve more than just a pat on the back that's for sure
Old 24-10-2010, 11:06 AM   #23
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am a nurse in Queensland and health is bureacratic top heavy.The government can find a billion dollars for illegal refugees but not our health system!!! They should be put on plane and flown back to where to they came from.
Have you been offered a CAPS package ? in home nursing help ?, Respite ? Get onto the Social Work Dept and the ACAT Team at RPH, see what they can do.
Best wishes..I feel for you..
Old 24-10-2010, 12:37 PM   #24
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cheers guys, wow I did not realise the problem was australia wide regardign our health system.

Australian of the Year? Thanks for the nomination!

and yes I have had ACATs, and ive reached the caps level and had many many meetings with social workers, so I have been preparign myself for the transition.
Its the financial side thats the big killer, having to deal with the state adminastrative tribunal and the public trustee regarding what will happen to her family home and how we are going to pay the bond for the nursing home.

Click here to see my ute
Old 24-10-2010, 12:49 PM   #25
Spudz27
Call me Spud

I feel for you mate. Public system has always been a mess, unless you are in a childrens hospital. I have to have heart surgery at RPH and I am dreading it. Whilst the surgeons are top notch, it is the facilities that I am worried about. I have private cover but do not have the money to pay the gap if I go to The Mount.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2010, 01:23 PM   #26
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Cheers guys, wow I did not realise the problem was australia wide regardign our health system.

Australian of the Year? Thanks for the nomination!

and yes I have had ACATs, and ive reached the caps level and had many many meetings with social workers, so I have been preparign myself for the transition.
Its the financial side thats the big killer, having to deal with the state adminastrative tribunal and the public trustee regarding what will happen to her family home and how we are going to pay the bond for the nursing home.
If your mother is classified as high care, you don't pay a bond..
Have you tried Amaroo ,in Gosnells ? My parents were in there, as high care, no bond and they paid 85% of the pension. My brother and I managed their affairs, with no Public Trustee or State Tribunal.Its a big hassle, but you don't pay any fees to Government Depts.
Cheers
Old 24-10-2010, 04:03 PM   #27
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its a very selfless act to be a carer and essentially put your life and career on the back burner to look after someone else, and its very tuff when loved ones lose the battle with with illness, our thoughts and best wishes are with you.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2010, 06:46 PM   #28
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

fordOwner

I have one thing to say here

see the guys above that have gone through the Dementia side of things with a family member. Take a note of them and get into a little group for support It will help you in the long run

I will say this keep your head up high you my friend have the support from many here including me

we are here if needed

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2010, 07:20 PM   #29
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Health is a major issue in Australia and has been ruined by a series of do gooder governments and socialist lunatic public servants.

There only one way to fix this and it is at the political level.

It is very personal to you make it personal to them.

Regardless of what party your local member is IF THEY WILL NOT HELP VOTE THEM OUT.

Do not vote along party lines because you believe in their philosophy, NONE of then ACTUALLY follow their philosophy.

If you vote the member out he/she no longer has any power and will not be elegible for all the gravy train bonuses so they have a LOT to lose.

The party you support may win or lose but your member will not be part of it if they lose. This is the only threat they understand.

If you have a child and never punish it regardless of how it behaves what do you end up with?

Make it personal and maybe, just maybe, the sick and elderly will get a bit more priority over "festivals" and "social workshops" etc.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2010, 11:30 AM   #30
crdave
Blue Blood

Whitty i too feel for you mate. My dad is 80 and has Alzheimers and Emphysema. We recently had a bad experience with the health system. Dad went to hospital for a lung infection and the treatment he received in a major Adelaide hospital was atrocious. He now has to sleep with a night light due to having halucinations at night in that hospital and being totally ignored even though they new his condition. I managed to demand he be moved to our local hospital which is very community based but the damage was done. I could not leave him at night until he was asleap each night from then on.
I must say though mum and dad live in a very community based town and have a very high level of support there which is great although sometimes it doesn't make it any easier. Watching your dad or mum go this way is the hardest thing and I take my hat off to you. You are a champion in life in my opinion.
Keep your head up mate.

All the best, Dave.
crdave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post