Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-10-2012, 06:39 PM   #31
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Shannons quotes

I aami won't touch 1/2 my cars and I couldn't walk after the quote they gave me for my wife's car as for home insurance Ha no thanks

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2012, 08:57 PM   #32
SSVPom
Formally FairmontPom

Shannon's quoted $900 fully comp for my 6 month old SSV Sportwagon; RACV just $750 for the same level of cover and excess.

Just my 2c worth !
Old 09-10-2012, 09:55 PM   #33
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

I've been with Shannons for about 20 years for my MG's and also the daily drive for the last 10 years. Got my combined XR50 and MGB insurance renewal in the last month, the XR50 was $753 which was about $100 more than it was last year, no claims over that period, rating 1. I spoke to two different advisors querying this price increase for the XR50, the answer was that that was the going price for that car, take it or leave it, so I went elsewhere. The MG is now with lumleys, I saved about $250 for the two cars.

Shannons lost an old and loyal customer.

May I suggest those with cheap premiums with Shannons, eg FG F6 for $569 most likely would not be insured as a daily driver, but limited.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2012, 10:24 PM   #34
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking Re: Shannons quotes

They have to fund all of these events they are sponsoring somehow I guess!!
5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2012, 11:29 PM   #35
XAGSV8
Member 178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta_Man69
I wonder how many people "happy" with Shannons have actually tried to claim from them. An insurance company can only be tested and rated after you need them to fulfill their part of the deal.
I have after a hail storm decided to target one of my cars. They were quick and easy to deal with and finalized the payment within days after writing the car off. The whole process took about two weeks. I have since rang them again after an old lady backed into my car while it was parked. No trouble at all.

I have three cars with comprehensive insurance (agreed value) with them for $750 per year in total plus my contents insurance on top of that for not much more. My values were agreed on after I rang them and emailed them photo's. I will not be leaving Shannons even if offered a cheaper price due to their service.

1963 Morris Mini

1999 NU Fairlane Ghia
XAGSV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2012, 11:43 PM   #36
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAGSV8
I will not be leaving Shannons even if offered a cheaper price due to their service.
I also got good service when my car was run into a couple of times, and was happy to pay a bit more over the last few years to be able to select my own repairer etc.

However the price difference mainly the $100 jump for the XR50 was too much and outweighed the advantages of being with Shannons. If you do a search I have previously supported Shannons a number of times in threads here discussing Shannons.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:03 AM   #37
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Shannons have been great to my dad in the past when he had to make a claim, I'd say give them a call.

I have my mk2 cortina with NRMA Veteran, Vintage & Classic Vehicle Insurance.

It works for me because its only limited use (because its on Historic Rego) & a value of $2000 means for full comprehensive Insurance its only $66 ($300 excess). Plus it has benifits like NRMA Traveller Care incase I break down away from home. It also covers everything I need & I keep the wreck if its written off.
Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2012, 08:46 AM   #38
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 

I'm with Shannon's for my XB and they were happy to increase the agreed value $2500 (33% increase) with no problem once I explained the work I'd done to it. Quote didn't go up too much and I called LSV and Rhino and they either said they couldn't match it (for agreed value and quote) or they wouldn't speak to me because I'm under 25.

For what it's worth you can get insured with Shannon's if you're under 25, but you must list every driver under 25 or you're not insured. You also must call and spend 20 minutes validating yourself as an enthusiast.

I also made a windscreen claim and my experience was exactly the same as the other member who wrote about it above.

Though I hadn't heard of NRMA classic insurance so I might investigate that and see what their deal is.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:04 AM   #39
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

When I had the E49 Charger; NRMA Classic Car Insurance had the same benefits as Shannons but was a third of the price.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:39 AM   #40
Rod33
MKII FG GT

I had 2 cars, including a BA GT, and our Home insured through Shannons for over 5 years. When I upgraded to an FG GT MkII, the premium went from just over $1K to over $1900.00. I spoke with several of their operators and was amazed with their arrogance and zero effort or interest to keep 3 policies with them.
I also have a CAMS competition license which is supposed to attract a 10% discount with them but to be honest, I think that is just marketing hype.

Went to RACV for the FG GT and saved over $900.00 and took my other policies off Shannons also. Funnily enough, I saved more money on our second car and home policy by moving away from Shannons also without seeing any real difference in the cover or benefits.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:18 PM   #41
iCat
doof doof doof doof

Lumley - awesome to deal with; policies, values, prices, perks, customer service, all fantastic. they insure all modified cars for however you want them insured.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:45 PM   #42
superfly
Go the Hogster!

I had both of my WRX's and house insured with Shannons. Made a claim on each and Shannons were fantastic with every single claim we had.

But then when I got my XR50, Shannons wanted about $950 for it and RACQ only charges me $516. So I went with RACQ.

The wife's WRX and our house are still with Shannons.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:01 PM   #43
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCat
Lumley - awesome to deal with; policies, values, prices, perks, customer service, all fantastic. they insure all modified cars for however you want them insured.
they span me some crap about my EJ being pre 65 and over 15% engine increase and wernt interested

Shannons no problem as long as it was engineered

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2012, 07:05 PM   #44
cobramania
FPV BFII GT Cobra No.249

My BF Cobra's with Shannons & my XR8 was too till I sold it. I've had no trouble dealing with them from my end, but will be leaving them when the insurance is next due, thanks to agreed value dropping & premium increasing, but also I have a good mate who owns a Smash Repairs Shop, & all the Suncorp insurance companies give the repairers trouble, & take their time to pay up.
Yes Shannons have your choice of repairer too, but you pay extra for it even though it's not separately listed, it's a hidden extra, some other Suncorp insurance companies have your choice of repairer as an optional extra which again you pay for.

My Insurance is due the week before Christmas, & yes I can pay by the month, but it's not just the large money outlay at Christmas time, it's also the hassle of remembering to renew it at that hectic time of the year doesn't help. I've used 6 months rego to move that to the middle of the year, does anyone know any company that I can take out a 6 month insurance period with? Yes I know I can cancel half way through the year & take up another company, but I missed it this year, so will now have to wait renew with Shannons & wait till June/July next year now if there's no other option.
cobramania is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2012, 07:47 PM   #45
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan
Ryno Insurance for FPV's I found good your car must be garaged.
Do they have limitations on usage ?
Might try them if others have good feedback on them.....

I'm currently with Shannon's and have also seen their annual trickery of reducing agreed value and increasing premiums. I always contest it and take the car up to their office to show them the condition of the GT..... I've managed to keep the agreed value to what I think is reasonable and the premium at an affordable level. Maybe this Ryno bunch can do better......
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2012, 08:24 PM   #46
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly
I had both of my WRX's and house insured with Shannons. Made a claim on each and Shannons were fantastic with every single claim we had.

But then when I got my XR50, Shannons wanted about $950 for it and RACQ only charges me $516. So I went with RACQ.

The wife's WRX and our house are still with Shannons.
Interesting your XR50 insurance was that high with Shannons, much higher than even mine which was relatively high even with the discounts that I got. They must have had a flood of expensive claims for that car.

Mine is now with RACV which was $630. Must be an area thing that makes it dearer here.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:20 AM   #47
XF Falcon
[FORCED]

Has anyone here with Shannons actually had to make a claim and if so how did it go?

Were they very helpful, did the car get repaired okay..etc
Old 11-10-2012, 02:58 AM   #48
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
Do they have limitations on usage ?
Might try them if others have good feedback on them.....
No usage limits, they wont budge on where your car is parked has to be garaged.
my only gripe is they only insure unique models, as they wouldn't insure my XR Ute.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2012, 10:30 AM   #49
Rod33
MKII FG GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by XF Falcon
Has anyone here with Shannons actually had to make a claim and if so how did it go?

Yes, although I've since moved away from Shannons, I did make a claim in 2009 or 2010, forgot which year it was when we had the huge Hail Storm in Melbourne. The Claim was on my BA GT which was parked and got hit by hail.

To be honest, they were great to deal with. They were using the AAMI Assessment Centre in Clayton and inspected the vehicle after they had received the quote to repair from my chosen Panel Shop.

All went very smooth and my Panel Shop also said they were one of the easiest Insurance Companies to deal with.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:25 PM   #50
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Quote:

Yeah as I mentioned before I made a claim on both WRX's and everything was fixed perfectly as I could pick my own repairer. Shannons were extremely easy to deal with. I also had to make a house claim as we got broken into and again I couldn't fault their claim process although they contract house claim out to an external party but they do check to make sure all is going ok.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:27 PM   #51
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
Interesting your XR50 insurance was that high with Shannons, much higher than even mine which was relatively high even with the discounts that I got. They must have had a flood of expensive claims for that car.

Mine is now with RACV which was $630. Must be an area thing that makes it dearer here.
Yeah I was surprised too. They were the dearest out of them all. I just got my RACQ renewal and they put the premium up to $550 ($500 excess) but I noticed if I do a new renewal online, I can now get it for $500, so I will be renewing my policy that way
Old 11-10-2012, 09:10 PM   #52
Brent
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Yes. Had our MY'09 Subaru Forester Turbo insured with them. Got a really hard hit in the rear by some drug affected clown who could hardly speak let alone drive. Had it towed to the repairer of my choice. Spoke to the repairer a couple of days later and he said the car's stuffed. A week later I got the cheque. No attempt by them to do a cheap repair. No questions. Paid out for a total write off. Done.

Also go the BF GT insured with them as well. Yeah, they're probably a few hundred per annum dearer than if I trawled around all the no-name providers, but when the chips are down they pay out with a minimum of fuss.
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2012, 10:32 PM   #53
2.8L Hilux
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Shannons were the cheapest around when insuring my '67 Morris Mini.
I'm 21 and have the car insured fully comprehensive as a daily driver for $5000. My premium is $340 a year with an excess around the $600 mark.

The only other insurance company that came close was NRMA with a yearly premium of $650 and an excess of $1200.

Not a bad deal for a 21 year old.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:56 PM   #54
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anyone used or heard about how good Progressive car insurance is?
For 2 cars they are almost $1000 a year cheaper then NRMA. Not sure if there is a major reason for that.
It would be great to have a spare $1000 a year.
Ben73 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2012, 08:37 AM   #55
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 

Isn't Proggresive the guys who advertise they are 100% online?

That to me is a massive negative. Trying to communicate with them would be a nightmare I imagine.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:03 PM   #56
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan
No usage limits, they wont budge on where your car is parked has to be garaged.
my only gripe is they only insure unique models, as they wouldn't insure my XR Ute.
Thanks Mark

So I gave these Rhino guys a call......just to compare
Oh dear !

Apples for Apples - Shannons were @ 35% cheaper
I'm starting to see that Shannons is offering me a very good deal......methinks I'll be sticking with them.
Never hurts to shop around though.....keeps em all on their toes hey.
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2012, 04:19 PM   #57
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think it's frustrating that the opinions on these insurers varies so widely. According to this thread for every person that loves Shannons there's another that loathes them.
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2012, 06:26 PM   #58
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132
I think it's frustrating that the opinions on these insurers varies so widely. According to this thread for every person that loves Shannons there's another that loathes them.
Insurance comes down to personal experience and stories of other people.

You will have people who would have a fault less time with an insurance company, they will praise the company and never have a problem, even at claims time.

Then you will have the people that, cannot do any right by the insurance company, high prices, bad claim experience etc., these people will always say bad things about the company etc.

Then there is the person who basis insurance on price alone, they will take up the cheapest premium. They will then say there insurance is the best because of price.

Then there is the person who does not care, will just take the first insurance, not think about it and keep paying year after year. Will usually just say I am insured with blah had no problems.

Last of all you will get the person who has heard from a mate of a mate of a mate, a bad story about 1 insurance company and will make judgement about that company from that story.

So insurance is a very personal thing and basically as you said for every person who loves Shannon’s there is 1 that hates them.

My opinion about insurance companies, is choose one best suited to your needs, do not base it on price.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2012, 10:34 PM   #59
Uberchic
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti
Never even tried using their online service, I've just phoned the
And found them a lot easier to deal with than my previous insurer

At my last renewal I found a mistake in the agreed value and premium price on the 38, a 3 minuet phone call sorte it all out

Seems to me with the other thread and your problem that their online quote system needs a little sorting out.

All said and done as far as insurers go I'm reasonably happy
Totally Agree!
Uberchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2012, 10:42 PM   #60
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Haven't had to claim yet and hopefully won't but a mk1 GT Cortina insured for $18000 for less than $300. Excess is $250.
LG17 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post