Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 06-01-2005, 04:07 PM   #1
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Angry Tires - NCT5 Blowout!

Last night, when taking a particular girl out to dinner, I decided to take the Capri Blue Focus instead, it's quieter and smoother. The transition from 215/45ZR17 Eagle F1s to 195/60R15 NCT5s is immediately apparent, the tire roll is huge and they lack grip badly.

Not 5 minutes after picking up this girl, we were on our way to the restaurant when an rapid but smooth increase in tyre noise, plus a vibration, so small but noticeable thru the steering wheel, started. I waited for about 10 seconds to see if the tire would sort itself out, but it became immediately apparent it wasn't and it was serious, so I pulled over to investigate. A testament to the steering, it steered straight through out the event. Sure enough, flat tire. : It was completely deflated, in the space of about 5 to 10 seconds from the initial noise.

I quickly fitted the spare, returned the stricken car home, and took the car I should have taken in the first place, EUR04D.

This morning I took the tire down to my local tire place, where they re-inflated the tire. To everyones suprise, it stayed inflated. So we left it for an hour and it was still inflated, so they put some load on it and the failure was apparent, the valve had split and was dumping large amounts of pressure.

New valve later, tyre back on rim and balanced, and my friendly shop sent me on my way without any charge.

I was lucky not to destroy the tire by continuing on any further, as the tire was completely deflated. It didn't cost me anything financially, but time wise it was a pain in the bum, all dressed up (still, good excuse to rip down to my t-shirt and flex the muscles in the sun haha) and trying to get to the restaurant.

Alls well that ends well though, and a great night was had regardless. py:

Moral of the story: NCTs are poo!

Tim
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2005, 04:09 PM   #2
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Hang on the tyre is good, but the valve split, wouldnt that make the valves poo not the tyres

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2005, 04:12 PM   #3
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Refer to grip and tire roll comments - the whole package is poo!

Tim
Old 06-01-2005, 04:19 PM   #4
EA2BA
PM me if you want

I am not surpised with the change of size you went from, but point taken

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2005, 04:26 PM   #5
whippet_zetec
Supes

I will refrain from commenting here Timbo..... :P
whippet_zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2005, 04:31 PM   #6
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

As an NCT equipped Focus owner? You should have more feedback than I do! ;)

At least when my Eagle F1s puncture, they happen right out the front of tire shops!

Tim
Old 06-01-2005, 04:59 PM   #7
whippet_zetec
Supes

lol....seriously I have never had any problems at all with my NCT5's, they have given me all I need for my driving style, I dont push hard so an ultra high level of grip is not high on my agenda, although I must add they have performed admirably in the wet for me...have felt pretty safe on them but then that could also be because the focus is such a well mannered car to drive in terms of chasis response.

Did you think that maybe your driving style in the un-modded focus might have needed some adapting, rather than the same style for eur04D?? abscence of 17" rims, lower/stiffer suspension would make quite a difference...trust me I even noticed going from my Zetec to a Corolla, body roll and grip in the car was a bitch compared.

If you are after a performance tyre dont go with the NCT5, if after a tyre that wont break the bank but still give you an everyday driver tyre which is better than standard (in my opinion) I would recommend them.
Old 06-01-2005, 05:23 PM   #8
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Absolutely, I've had to re-think roundabout-ing in the Capri Blue Focus as the tires squeal too much, LOL. At speeds that I think are comfortable, mind you, I am not a psycho driver.

I guess it's all relative, probably too used to the good life. After taking my brothers Laser for a drive, I can really appreciate the tires and suspension setups on both EUR04D and my RS2000.

To be honest, I don't plan on replacing the Eagle F1s with a tire that expensive. They are just too damned noisy and I don't need all that grip.

But I don't rate the NCT that highly, as in, I wouldn't pay money for them. I feel there are better tires out there for the value. Not saying they are so bad you'd change them immediately, but even the guys at tire joint don't like them when I was talking to them about it.

Same goes for the tires on the RS2000, great in the dry, deadly in the wet, I wouldn't let anyone drive the car that I didn't feel was used to looking out the side windows in the wet.

It all depends on your application.

Tim
Old 06-01-2005, 06:37 PM   #9
whippet_zetec
Supes

definitely, I will look at other tyres than NCT's for my focus when its time to replace them (in 2 years or at hopefully 40,000km)....I dont scrimp on rubber, its what keeps you on the road but I am not about to go and get the biggest grip softest rubber tyre out there. NCT's can be a little expensive for what they are I agree, choice of tyre would be Michelins or Pirelli's.....
Old 06-01-2005, 06:39 PM   #10
whippet_zetec
Supes

looking at your pic Tim, those have DUNLOP LE MANS A5 written on the tyre wall, my tyres are a different tyre or at least have different tyre wall printing...Mine have GOODYEAR NCT5.

Last edited by whippet_zetec; 07-01-2005 at 09:23 AM.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:56 PM   #11
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

You'll have Goodyear Eagle NCT5 tires, that Dunlop Le Mans is the spare tire only. After one of the NCT5s got written off due to a tyre bulge, we transferred the fifth NCT5 to a rim and just bought that tire for the spare.

Good pick up though!

Tim
Old 07-01-2005, 09:23 AM   #12
whippet_zetec
Supes

yep, my stuff up, should be goodyear.....
Old 17-01-2005, 01:46 AM   #13
WASACL
Phat-Euro

I am rolling on a set of Falkens and they are really good in the dry....
Put abit of water on the road and any sort acceration through a corner and they slide... Which can be kinda fun making me think that my car is too powerful to be on the road in the wet... LOL

I will be replacing my with pirelli's once i have to replace them... I had them on my GTi and they worked like a dream (Until i hit that wall!)

Russ

P.S. Just waiting till i get my Extractors, Cat and Heavy duty clutch so i can chew up my old CL ones!!! Hehehe!

Last edited by WASACL; 17-01-2005 at 01:50 AM.
WASACL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2005, 02:26 AM   #14
chevaps
Zetec Screamer....

hey russ, where you gonna get your extractors from??
i went to a few good exhaust places the other day and they said that extractors havent been developed for the 04 model focus which i assume is the same as the other aussie foci models
chevaps is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2005, 11:03 AM   #15
WASACL
Phat-Euro

I am going to get them made by Liverpool exhaust. They did my cat back for $300.

They have never done a focus before so they said that they would design a set for my car for $700 with a high flow Cat.

Russ
Old 17-01-2005, 06:41 PM   #16
chevaps
Zetec Screamer....

nice nice.
let us know how it goes

Tom
Old 31-01-2005, 07:57 PM   #17
zetec
Zoom Zoom

HAving converted to stickier Michelin Pilot Precedas, I'm definitely a convert... if someone can let me upload some files somewhere I've got videos that'll somewhat contribute to a slightly aroused feeling when you see this hot little lowered Zetec carving up a corner and barking back through the zorst... the Michies are wicked things, I love them and am VERY happy to recommend them. They're great in the wet too so far, although I don't have enough experience, early suggestions almost rate the NCT's above the Pilots in the wet, but it hasn't rained in Melb since I got the bloody things (hey I'm not complaining!!!) so I've been learning my dry limits... daaaaaamn my VDC light now flashe when I'm still under full grip!! They grip too well for the VDC go figure.
Old 01-02-2005, 02:16 AM   #18
chevaps
Zetec Screamer....

Hey Russ, wot size cat back u end up getting??

Tom
Old 01-02-2005, 06:36 PM   #19
OZXR4
formally ozmondeo

well the tyre everyone has fogoten about is the yokohmma A539. this tyre is the best i have had, it is good in the dry plus sticks like shit in the wet. plus it wont break the bank. :
OZXR4 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2005, 08:48 AM   #20
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Well it was leaking down this morning here in Melb and the Michies stick like shit to a teflon frypan..... it's like driving on glass. I'm amazed at how poorly they hold on laterally and I had some serious XR8 style wet weather wheel spin on mid throttle too.... I'll wait to see with some more wet weather driving if it was just the greasy roads or what, but so far after a decent drive in the rain having worn in the tyres, they're **** poor in the wet. Stunning in the dry. :
Old 02-02-2005, 09:39 AM   #21
The MaDDeSTMaN
No longer driving a Ford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
Well it was leaking down this morning here in Melb and the Michies stick like shit to a teflon frypan..... it's like driving on glass. I'm amazed at how poorly they hold on laterally and I had some serious XR8 style wet weather wheel spin on mid throttle too.... I'll wait to see with some more wet weather driving if it was just the greasy roads or what, but so far after a decent drive in the rain having worn in the tyres, they're **** poor in the wet. Stunning in the dry. :
Hope it was just the greasier-then-usual roads here in Melbourne mate, after all, how long is it now since we last had a day like today? Feels weird to have to wear a jumper again, lol
The MaDDeSTMaN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2005, 12:23 PM   #22
whippet_zetec
Supes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmondeo
well the tyre everyone has fogoten about is the yokohmma A539. this tyre is the best i have had, it is good in the dry plus sticks like shit in the wet. plus it wont break the bank. :
has these on my AUII Falcon, thought they were fantastic
Old 02-02-2005, 12:31 PM   #23
WASACL
Phat-Euro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevaps
Hey Russ, wot size cat back u end up getting??

Tom
2inch Mandrel Bend Cat back exhaust with a high flow muffler and hot dog somewhere under there! And finish it all off a Phat 4 inch chrome tip!

Still have to get extractors and cat! Only a matter of time!

Russ