Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Site Sponsor Forums - In Alphabetical Order > Blue Power Racing Developments

Blue Power Racing Developments The home of Blue Power. Website Link

Old 07-01-2007, 08:38 AM   #1
ED SPRINT
Cubes = Power

Default how far can i push a 351w

Hi all,
Got a few things im a little stuck on and was wondering if anyone out there will have any input on my project. I currently own a ed sprint with a worked 302 which i built about 2 years ago and is a good motor.... I am currently working as a mechanic in london in the uk and am earning a good pay... The bonus i have over here is that parts from the usa are cheap because of the pound being twice as strong as the us dollar... So i have decided to buy some parts while im over here and send them home....
I am going to fit a 351w to my ed, and am looking to stroke it out to around 400 cubes..... and put small shot of nos on her.... have been looking at some mad stoker kits, heads and intake manifold suck as the edelbrock victor 5.8 which is capabe of running 430 cubes and up to 700 hp motor ( does not have egr which will be a problem) but???? my question is can i build a 500hp motor with a standard 351w roller block out of a late model ambulance ect ( run nos also)... or can i convert standard block to 4 bolt main and would that be enough...... but not to beat around the bush.... i know from experience that if you are going to build a good engine you start with the best....eg dart or svo block???? well guys what you recon of my situation...... this build is going to be a long build and any input would be appriecated........ go the mighty falcons......
ED SPRINT is online now Edit/Delete Message

ED SPRINT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2007, 09:28 AM   #2
Chris
AFF.com.au

Hi mate, give my regards to your colleagues re the ashes result!!

I know many people will suggest trying the stock 5.8 block, but I think you will find reliability problems with a 4inch plus stroker crank.

The biggest problem is finding a centre counterweighted crankshaft. Most of the econo kits (scat, eagle etc) will have non centre counterweighted cranks, these are more likely to flex, which beats up on the main tunnel.

We have used the new World products block. I would even then suggest a 4.125 bore with a smaller stroke. Engine will last longer, and large bore will help the heads out. The price of the new gear is pretty well on par with any chev gear.

So my advice would be to go aftermarket, and have peace of mind. Good luck, and enjoy the build.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2007, 02:23 AM   #3
ED SPRINT
Cubes = Power

Cheers for the help mate.... been looking at the man o war blocks and they look pretty sweet... cost around 2300 us dollars! another small problem is that i am unsure of height due to the fittment into my ed as height is going to be my problem.... do u know anyone who has fitted a 351 windsor to ED.... thanks for ya help... oh yeah told my boss over here that the boys from down under said you guys put up a good fight in the cricket... haha
Old 11-01-2007, 09:36 AM   #4
Gambit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Check this out mate.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...hlight=windsor

Just noticed you have been in the e-series section. There is some good info in there.

Good luck with it.
Gambit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2007, 09:39 AM   #5
Chris
AFF.com.au

Hey Nathan, thanks you beat me to the punch. Chat to sledgehammer, he may have some idea's re the 9.5 deck into the falcon.

Chris
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2007, 11:03 AM   #6
Gambit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
Hey Nathan, thanks you beat me to the punch. Chat to sledgehammer, he may have some idea's re the 9.5 deck into the falcon.

Chris
Stu (sledgehammer) is a wealth of info but his 351 is in an au. Not sure how much difference in engine bays & bonnet clearance there is to an ed.
Gambit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2007, 03:14 PM   #7
Sledgehammer
Banned

Happy to answer pms etc
cheers
stu
Sledgehammer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2007, 07:59 AM   #8
ED SPRINT
Cubes = Power

Gday stu...
Your build looks great.... i got i few questions for ya... what headers did you use on ya windsor??? ( are they tuned length, whats the sise of the primarys and collector) howd you go with the deck height of 9.5? carb fitunder the bonnet??? do you have a list of your engine specs?
500 at the wheels is such a nice figure.......
howd you go about getting it past the pits?
cheers for the info

oh i like the dyno vid........ any plans for the N20.........