Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-12-2011, 10:54 PM   #1
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Bernard Tomic allowed to drive M3

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertai...-1226222231275

What justification does he have to get an exemption to drive his M3. You are supposed to have a valid reason why driving a P plate exempt car is required for work purposes.

Why does he get an exemption to drive to training? Why does he require a V8 M3 to do it?

I just don't get this? Maybe thats what has put him under the spotlight of the po po, cause he's been given special treatment a regular P plater couldn't get. If an average P plater walked in off the street and said he wanted an exemption to drive a V8 to work without providing a valid reason he/she would be laughed out of the place.

Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2011, 10:58 PM   #2
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Bernard Tomic allowed to drive M3

goodluck to him.. sucks to be famous... ey..
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2011, 11:15 PM   #3
Bossxr8
Peter Car

One rule for some and not for others?

Wish I had an M3 to drive when I was on my P's.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2011, 11:19 PM   #4
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Good on him. Thousands and thousands of hours of tennis practice paid off!
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2011, 11:26 PM   #5
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Money talks.............
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2011, 11:30 PM   #6
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

obviously a precedent has been set.

if tomic can drive a m3 for sport, obviously a p plater can drive a clubsport or fpv for sport commitments.

otherwise it's discrimination.
ltd_on20s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2011, 12:08 AM   #7
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

deleten....
Old 15-12-2011, 12:19 AM   #8
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd_on20s
obviously a precedent has been set.

if tomic can drive a m3 for sport, obviously a p plater can drive a clubsport or fpv for sport commitments.

otherwise it's discrimination.
They always have.

BMW sponsor tennis. He is a leading tennis player. It is part of his job.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2011, 12:44 AM   #9
rocketscientist
AHHHH...WHAAATTTT

International licence perhaps?
rocketscientist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2011, 01:11 AM   #10
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In that case my P-plater son is perfectly allowed to drive our old WB V8 ute when we get it on the road in the next couple of months.

One rule for all, money shouldn't talk. But it does unfortunately...how many times do you see movers and shakers getting off with massive speeding tickets or other traffic violations purely because of who they are?

It's not tall poppy syndrome...it's a simple requirement that the law apply equally to everyone, especially when that law is one we are led to believe is to save lives. If this clown who, basically, plays a game for a living, simply must drive a BMW because of sponsorship, there are other cars in the range than a M3 that would be perfectly legal for a P plater to drive...

EDIT: Oh looky what I found a link to, tucked away in small font at the bottom of that news page...and that was pure luck as the second time I visited the news page, the link wasn't there at all...
http://www.foxsports.com.au/tennis/p...-1226220808329
Quote:
Police investigating rising tennis star Bernard Tomic over a string of dangerous driving complaints
Rising tennis star Bernard Tomic, who has a fondness for luxury sports cars, is under police investigation after a string of dangerous driving complaints.
Police sources said the distinctive bright orange BMW M3 was reported for "hooning offences".
The 19-year-old was intercepted by police in Elkorn Ave, Surfers Paradise, on Sunday night. No tickets were issued but the investigation is ongoing.
Tomic is still on his P-plate licence and had to apply for a special exemption to drive the eight-cylinder luxury sports car, worth an estimated $150,000.
The exemption was granted for him to drive directly to and from tennis training at the Queen St courts, Southport.
Police will now investigate the tennis star for the dangerous driving allegations and for breaching the special conditions of his licence.
The plot thickens...it always pays to read between the lines...methinks he protests too much...

Last edited by 2011G6E; 15-12-2011 at 01:21 AM.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2011, 07:45 AM   #11
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
In that case my P-plater son is perfectly allowed to drive our old WB V8 ute when we get it on the road in the next couple of months.

One rule for all, money shouldn't talk. But it does unfortunately...how many times do you see movers and shakers getting off with massive speeding tickets or other traffic violations purely because of who they are?

It's not tall poppy syndrome...it's a simple requirement that the law apply equally to everyone, especially when that law is one we are led to believe is to save lives. If this clown who, basically, plays a game for a living, simply must drive a BMW because of sponsorship, there are other cars in the range than a M3 that would be perfectly legal for a P plater to drive...

EDIT: Oh looky what I found a link to, tucked away in small font at the bottom of that news page...and that was pure luck as the second time I visited the news page, the link wasn't there at all...
http://www.foxsports.com.au/tennis/p...-1226220808329

The plot thickens...it always pays to read between the lines...methinks he protests too much...

Was on CH9 news last nite twice with him whinging that the copper had it in for him..... boohoo

I cant see the reason other then being famous for him to be able to drive an M3 to tenis practice.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2011, 08:20 AM   #12
Kryton

He is driving it to work.
Tennis IS his job.
Get over it, its no different to any other P plater getting an exemption to drive to work.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2011, 09:46 AM   #13
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Geee Tomic where is your Red 458 Italia ???

He is allowed to drive his sponsors cars as that's his job, yes he is lucky to be famous and get the benefits that follow, get over it people.

I would also not be surprised if he is already holding an international license from another country and soon will be registered to be a citizen of Switzerland or a place like that to avoid the silly Australian taxes ...
dimka100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2011, 09:48 AM   #14
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
They always have.

BMW sponsor tennis. He is a leading tennis player. It is part of his job.

he could drive a 120 / 335 / 325 / 525

all are legitimate under his p plate.
Old 15-12-2011, 09:49 AM   #15
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This reminds me on the Lewis Hamilton cop incident ... what a joke this nanny state has become ... the whole world will be laughing when he tells his story in the interviews ...
dimka100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2011, 09:50 AM   #16
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I believe the point is the series of hooning complaints against him and the ongoing investigation into them...he would have us believe it's cops pulling him over becuase of the car he drives and who he is...which I believe is the standard response when you've been in trouble repeatedly and the cops start to take notice of your car...I would wager probably a third of us here have been the subject of just such "harassment because of our cars" over the years. I have, twice, because I was caught drag racing outside town with a few other blokes...after that I was pulled over maybe once a fortnight for a couple of months "just for a licence check and a look over of the car sir", as a bronze-green Charger with a loud twin system and an E49 bonnet scoop just kinda stood out...
Old 15-12-2011, 09:51 AM   #17
jcxr
Tribal Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
Tennis IS his job.
Get over it, its no different to any other P plater getting an exemption to drive to work.
BMW sponsorship = company car = WIN
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2011, 09:54 AM   #18
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcxr
BMW sponsorship = company car = WIN
Plenty of P-plate compliant cars in the lineup he could be driving, which would also give him a bit of publicity as a law-abiding good guy...

I still want to see the outcome of all the honning complaints against him...just smells like he's trying to get out of them more than anything else...
Old 15-12-2011, 09:54 AM   #19
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Tennis IS his job.

obviously a 16 year old car cleaner at HSV needs an exemption to drive a senator.
Old 15-12-2011, 09:55 AM   #20
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Quote:
Tennis IS his job.

That's a little naive. On what grounds could he ever say this is warranted?

If it is because of any BMW sponsorship and they want him to drive their cars, well he could be driving a base model MINI for all it's worth, or the cheapest, most gutless 1 series available. There is no possible reason he "had" to drive an M3...

I believe it might be warranted, lets say hyothetically for 2011G6E for instance, he has an old WB V8 ute sitting at home and neither he (or his wife) or his son could afford a vehicle, but he's a trades person and wants to commence his first job or apprenticeship. There must be somewhere that this situation comes under consideration and is approved.

If you look at it further, if 2011G63 was loaded and bought his 18yo son a brand new GS ute or something of like and then applied for an exemption clearly a point could be made that the GS was unnecessary.

There is absolutely no way on this planet that this scenario can justify his exemption short of "money talks", really..
Old 15-12-2011, 11:24 AM   #21
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd_on20s
he could drive a 120 / 335 / 325 / 525

all are legitimate under his p plate.
Well in that a 335 is a turbo 6 you really are contradicting yourself.

BMW would be the ones who tell him what to drive as they are the sponsors.

A little lesson in life.

We are not all equal. The world does not owe anyone anything. The world is not fair.

Why do so many want to prevent others doing something that they cannot?

And lastly any 16 year old car cleaner who works for HSV can drive a HSV V8 while they are working and if they are a high profile celebrity car cleaner who in addition to cleaning cars is employed for marketing purposes then they can also drive a HSV V8 to and from work, but not an SS or XR6 turbo......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2011, 12:11 PM   #22
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Money talks and bulls*it walks. Until people wake up and realise this is the way of the world, nothing will change in that regard.

I know the bloke (he is related to my brothers wife). He's a smarmy one that thinks he is king. I'll bet a steak dinner BMW would have given him a non turbo 3 series of some sorts to comply with the legislative requirements, yet he would have insisted on the M3.
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2011, 12:19 PM   #23
Grobbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They should just dress up an auto 320i coupe or something, 99% of the effect, much less temptation for the young fella to get into trouble.

Although BMW are probably pretty pleased with all the publicity this has generated!

Previous rides:
R32 Skyline gtst - drift weapon
67 VC Val - Cruiser
A4 1.8t MTM 286 - Euro Evo
AU2 XR8 Ute - rumbly drift weapon.
BA2 Futura Wagon - boom box.
Suzuki Swift Sport - thrash me!
Ford Kuga 1.6T AWD - work car, hoping to replace it with a new weapon soon...
Grobbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2011, 12:32 PM   #24
|Nate
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd go the 530d, quite a nice high end BMW with good power and luxury to match!

Also P-plate legal, well in VIC anyway.
|Nate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2011, 01:05 PM   #25
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

If I was BMW and sponsoring him, I would want him to be driving one of the range topping sports models. He's 19, driving a fantastic car, living the dream and doing what most every P plater has done at some point.

He is high profile, driving a in your face car and every thing he does, no matter how small or large will get attention. The only stupid in this is that he should know that he is going to be targeted and not complain when he gets nailed.

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2011, 01:12 PM   #26
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_wif_xf
He's a smarmy one that thinks he is king.
This.

I have to admit that I will have a hearty chuckle if any action is taken and he loses the M3 (although realistically the chances of that are slim IMO); there's something satisfying about douchebags getting their comeuppance...

Last edited by Dave_Obsession; 15-12-2011 at 01:12 PM. Reason: QUOTED FOR TRUTH
Dave_Obsession is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2011, 01:14 PM   #27
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

http://www.couriermail.com.au/entert...-1226222440761

Quote:
GOLD Coast police have dismissed a claim by rising tennis star Bernard Tomic that a local officer is running a vendetta against him.

Police say Tomic's accusations that a police officer wanted to give him bad press about hooning have been reviewed by a senior officer and no disciplinary action will be taken.

Tomic, 19, is being investigated for a number of complaints of hooning in his high-performance BMW M3 sports car.

In turn, Tomic has accused a local officer of threatening to put his name in the newspapers.

The young star, who rose to prominence when he made the quarter-finals at Wimbledon this year, was pulled over in the centre of Surfers Paradise on Sunday night but was not issued with a ticket.

Tomic claims the officer told him he shouldn't be driving the vehicle, even though he was driving to training and was not breaking the law.

Police said they have not received any official complaint from Tomic.
Grow up you toss-pot.
Start winning some tennis games and then maybe people might give half a crap when you complain...
Old 15-12-2011, 01:16 PM   #28
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

tall poppy.. chop.. chop....
Old 15-12-2011, 01:18 PM   #29
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
tall poppy.. chop.. chop....
Absolutely...especially when they're muppets...is it that hard to show some humility and not be a complete muzza?
Old 15-12-2011, 01:22 PM   #30
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Well in that a 335 is a turbo 6 you really are contradicting yourself.

BMW would be the ones who tell him what to drive as they are the sponsors.

A little lesson in life.

We are not all equal. The world does not owe anyone anything. The world is not fair.

Why do so many want to prevent others doing something that they cannot?

And lastly any 16 year old car cleaner who works for HSV can drive a HSV V8 while they are working and if they are a high profile celebrity car cleaner who in addition to cleaning cars is employed for marketing purposes then they can also drive a HSV V8 to and from work, but not an SS or XR6 turbo......

yes, out of all the ones i mentioned, you try to take the high ground with one mistake. good job.

"BMW would be the ones who tell him what to drive as they are the sponsors.
"

so bmw make the law? they chose to give him an M3 in direct contradiction to australian law? pretty weak argument there.