Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-07-2017, 03:13 PM   #1
Patrol351
OFFROAD ART

Default Shockwave Paint Recall Help

G'day Ladies and Gents,

I'm after any information that could assist with getting help to get ford to come to the party.

As I don't get on the internet much, I just spoke to ford australia after just learning about this myself as my 06 BF GT paint is all but rat ****. Very disappointing / heartbreaking as it has only got 80000 on the clock been in the shed most of its life.

Is there a automotive ombudsman I can contact about this hot topic
thanks in advance for your assistance.

Kind Regards,
Luke
Patrol351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2017, 03:34 PM   #2
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Shockwave Paint Recall Help

Umm, I think you'll find that the warranty on the car expired many many years ago mate.

Unfortunately paint and clear coat on modern cars is'nt very thick and its very common for clear coat to start peeling of the base coat.

Being a GT with only 80,000 k's I would def get a few quotes for repairing the paint in the areas that are poor to bring it back to near new condition.
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2017, 03:46 PM   #3
Patrol351
OFFROAD ART

Yeh just throwing it out there I hear there were alot of cars with shockwave paint fixed by ford.

unfortunately the paint is not recoverable in my eye would need a complete strip
Old 04-07-2017, 03:59 PM   #4
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrol351 View Post
Yeh just throwing it out there I hear there were alot of cars with shockwave paint fixed by ford.

unfortunately the paint is not recoverable in my eye would need a complete strip
Wot the whole car or just a few panels?

Probably should have put a car cover over it when not using it to keep the weather off it?
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2017, 04:22 PM   #5
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Have a gander here mate.
Pretty common problem with that colour
https://fordforums.com.au/showthread...&page=17&pp=30
This user likes this post:
Old 04-07-2017, 04:23 PM   #6
Patrol351
OFFROAD ART

Every panel is affected yes and it lives in a shed.
Old 04-07-2017, 04:27 PM   #7
Patrol351
OFFROAD ART

Cheers Mont! found a technical bulletin in there
Old 04-07-2017, 05:47 PM   #8
Blue_XR

The car might be out of warranty, however if there was a recall on that colour then you might be able to put a claim through. Do your research first and good luck.

YouTube channel: Modaufy Garage
https://www.youtube.com/c/ModaufyGarage
Blue_XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2017, 06:07 PM   #9
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

It was never an official recall.....
Ford offered to re spray affected cars after individual assessments.
Criminal really....
Clearly an issue with the undercoat / top coat compatibility and application process. Shock wave was the colour affected although I've seen some silver painted cars with similar flake problems ?

Regardless , it's an uphill battle if anyone is starting the "claim" process now. It's well after the peak of when the issue was discovered. Trick was to ring Ford and raise a case with CRC at that time regardless if you had the issue or not. It's then registered that you had an intent to claim at that time.....within the 10 year body/ paint corrosion warranty timeframe.

Anyways , good luck to all who have the issue , hope you can find a way to get a fix as it's a big $&@k up and should be addressed no matter what the time frame. Ideally a class action should have been lodged at the time .

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-07-2017, 06:20 PM   #10
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Well, if it's a known fault, I reckon you still have a case to pursue with Ford. If you bought it new, then the seller dealer should help you with this.

Probably what has acted against you is the fact you kept your car in the shed. Cars that were driven regularly and out in the elements more often exposed the issue much earlier. But that doesn't prove yours didn't have the problem from the start, just that it took longer for it to surface.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2017, 06:37 PM   #11
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluey-GT View Post
It was never an official recall.....
Ford offered to re spray affected cars after individual assessments.
Criminal really....
Clearly an issue with the undercoat / top coat compatibility and application process. Shock wave was the colour affected although I've seen some silver painted cars with similar flake problems ?

Regardless , it's an uphill battle if anyone is starting the "claim" process now. It's well after the peak of when the issue was discovered. Trick was to ring Ford and raise a case with CRC at that time regardless if you had the issue or not. It's then registered that you had an intent to claim at that time.....within the 10 year body/ paint corrosion warranty timeframe.

Anyways , good luck to all who have the issue , hope you can find a way to get a fix as it's a big $&@k up and should be addressed no matter what the time frame. Ideally a class action should have been lodged at the time .
Mate was your car ever affected by this?...I recall years ago you were active in the forum discussion on this (or may have even discovered it)
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2017, 06:45 PM   #12
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132 View Post
Mate was your car ever affected by this?...I recall years ago you were active in the forum discussion on this (or may have even discovered it)
No

It hasn't shown any sign. (Yet ). Might not ever .....
Car is 2006 September build.

I rang CRC and lodged a "report" many years ago.... it's in their system with all the details regarding the potential issue and concerns and I was issued with a case number for future reference.

Reportedly the Flaking mainly affects cars that are exposed to prolonged UV. ( sunlight )..... who knows. Seems to be affecting some cars and not others .

Pretty cr@p really.....

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Old 04-07-2017, 09:48 PM   #13
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

original owner pulls low k stored car out of shed and blows paint off with a wash - mbe

multiple owner car - good luck
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 04-07-2017, 10:49 PM   #14
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mont5.0 View Post
Have a gander here mate.
Pretty common problem with that colour
https://fordforums.com.au/showthread...&page=17&pp=30
Not only that colour mate,not long after buying mine (Pearl Blue) the clearcoat issues ****ed me off enough to have 3/4 of the thing repainted.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:33 PM   #15
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
No

It hasn't shown any sign. (Yet ). Might not ever .....
Car is 2006 September build.

I rang CRC and lodged a "report" many years ago.... it's in their system with all the details regarding the potential issue and concerns and I was issued with a case number for future reference.

Reportedly the Flaking mainly affects cars that are exposed to prolonged UV. ( sunlight )..... who knows. Seems to be affecting some cars and not others .

Pretty cr@p really.....
They won't fix it now regardless. The time has come and gone. Even if it was reported to crc the car had to be inspected at the time. The paint warranty is only 5 years not 10 too. Sad but I did my best to help anyone who had a shockwave car to get it fixed.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2017, 08:54 PM   #16
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not paint related but I just bought a 5/2008 falcon xr8 fg. Over 9 years old. Rang ford about the radiator/ milkshake issue and they are more than happy to replace it. Booked in for 2 weeks from now for a new radiator, transmission lines and coolant at fords expense. Keep trying buddy you might just get lucky.
boss351290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2017, 12:18 AM   #17
kazawaki
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Pursuit View Post
They won't fix it now regardless. The time has come and gone. Even if it was reported to crc the car had to be inspected at the time. The paint warranty is only 5 years not 10 too. Sad but I did my best to help anyone who had a shockwave car to get it fixed.
Good luck they wouldn't even replace 2 decals for me on a 2014 pursuit.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:00 AM   #18
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
original owner pulls low k stored car out of shed and blows paint off with a wash - mbe

multiple owner car - good luck
Yes
Apparently there is more chance of getting the repair done if you are still the 1st owner..... not sure how that makes a difference ??
With anyone struggling with this issue - you just have to ring Ford / CRC / escalate - don't be bullied and see how you go. There are precedents in place with hundreds and hundreds of cars that were resprayed for the exact same issue and Im sure Ford has records of it. There is merit for chasing down a resolution no matter how old the car is. Good Luck !

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Old 10-07-2017, 01:15 PM   #19
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Quote:
Yes
Apparently there is more chance of getting the repair done if you are still the 1st owner..... not sure how that makes a difference ??
With anyone struggling with this issue - you just have to ring Ford / CRC / escalate - don't be bullied and see how you go. There are precedents in place with hundreds and hundreds of cars that were resprayed for the exact same issue and Im sure Ford has records of it. There is merit for chasing down a resolution no matter how old the car is. Good Luck !
I think the one owner thing was to stop people going around buying used cars, having a full respray and selling then off again.

I am sure the assistance for the Shockwave paint concern finished in 2015 which for some cars it meant a 10 year program. Not sure if the OP is a one owner, but that will help the cause in possibly getting some assistance now, but I don't like the chances.
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-07-2017, 03:01 PM   #20
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would push pretty hard, even if you get them to partially cover the costs.
Make sure you stress its a known Fault, Though Ford CS Manual says "never heard of that problem before"
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2017, 10:13 PM   #21
snap0964
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A lot of the pics from the big shockwave thread look reminiscent of 2K colour over 1K (Acrylic) primer - a big no no of course. You can literally get a pressure washer and spray the colour off in strips. Acrylic being solvent based will expand and contract more than 2K in heat/outside, hence the adhesion getting worse over time. Different story having Acrylic over 2K, which is quite okay.

So otherwise to fix it you have to go back to bare metal, hence the reluctance from Ford.
I guess to test this theory, get a rag with acrylic thinners, dab it on a patch with no colour, and if it dissolves the paint, well . . . .The colour will be unaffected.
Might help your case, although Ford I think stopped using Acrylic for 2K in the early nineties, a mix up might be pretty remote.

Last edited by snap0964; 10-07-2017 at 10:20 PM.
snap0964 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2017, 10:21 PM   #22
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

It's not Ford is PPG they closed it... They were paying the warranty on it.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2017, 01:46 PM   #23
Patrol351
OFFROAD ART

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTLEGEND View Post
I think the one owner thing was to stop people going around buying used cars, having a full respray and selling then off again.

I am sure the assistance for the Shockwave paint concern finished in 2015 which for some cars it meant a 10 year program. Not sure if the OP is a one owner, but that will help the cause in possibly getting some assistance now, but I don't like the chances.
Yeah Original owner.
Have contacted Ford Australia and the dealer they aren't coming to the party.
Old 23-07-2018, 02:04 PM   #24
fordman99
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrol351 View Post
Yeah Original owner.
Have contacted Ford Australia and the dealer they aren't coming to the party.
Did you have any luck?

I have the same problem with my side skirt. Seems to be the only affected panel (but this could be because a lot of the other panels have already been resprayed after a collision repair).
fordman99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2018, 02:32 PM   #25
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Patrol351 i see you were in a thread re this issue back in 2008 and i realise then you probably had no problem , but that was the time to call Ford and register an interest as you could be concerned. Nearly 10 years on i am surprised you would think any manufacturer would come to the party. The boat , as they say, has well and truly sailed on this problem so i wouldn't get my hopes up.
GT450
GT450 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2018, 03:32 PM   #26
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Having spied it in the for sale section i can see why it would be denied anyway, and then i realised the original post is over a year ago. That damage didn't happen overnight.
GT450 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2018, 04:19 PM   #27
stig_3754

Looks like it got sold in February according to the For Sale post with the dodgy paint job still present, so it looks likely that Ford didn't come to the party.

Past Rides:
1997 EL Ford Fairmont 4A - Navy Blue
2006 BK Mazda 3 SP23 5A - Carbon Grey
2010 LV Ford Focus XR5 Turbo 6M - Frozen White
2013 LW Ford Focus ST 6M - Panther Black
stig_3754 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2020, 09:24 PM   #28
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTLEGEND View Post

The one-owner thing means nothing, I have have had my car pretty well under grandma care but now is falling apart.

So far I have heard every excuse and delay tactic from Ford. Not walking away from it.

They simply should have done the right thing by the owners at the time and notify them of the campaign to repair what is deemed as a major manufacturing fault.

They did not do this and are trying to walk away from their responsibilities.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2020, 08:23 AM   #29
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC View Post
The one-owner thing means nothing, I have have had my car pretty well under grandma care but now is falling apart.

So far I have heard every excuse and delay tactic from Ford. Not walking away from it.

They simply should have done the right thing by the owners at the time and notify them of the campaign to repair what is deemed as a major manufacturing fault.

They did not do this and are trying to walk away from their responsibilities.
Just a question, how long have you had the car for?
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2020, 09:35 AM   #30
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Purchased the car brand new the day after they released it per se.

I went to Clipsal 2005 and viewed the car on Sunday, walked into the dealer on Monday and pretty well ordered the car then and there.

This car since has for better words been locked away in grandma's closet and has only just done 100K as we speak, everything about it is as showroom condition as best it can for its age. (that is if you ignore the bubbles of paint peeling off the car now, my guess it is a rapid decline from here and within 12 months it will be a crying shame)

The spare tire was used for the first time in 14 years last year to drive 200 meters to the ire place after the wife ran over a tech screw in the carpark of her work.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post