Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 18-05-2020, 01:49 AM   #3151
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Re: Covid 19 -

I think the global trade wars will cause more damage than the virus.

I hear on the radio that some countries that owe China money (loan repayments) are not repaying as a form of self imposed compensation against China.

Just wonderful - give them an excuse to retaliate...

They have been planning this for years - buying up great parcels of land in multiple countries, shipping docks, farms etc.

The banter between the world's superpowers is not going to end well.

Now the UN wants to probe China...

Where was the probing for their human rights violations??

It's the world's worst kept secret what goes on there yet there is a reason why hardly anything is done about it.

Fear.....

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
3 users like this post:
Old 18-05-2020, 07:07 AM   #3152
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1 View Post
Morality rates ?
Ahh you know what I mean, mortality, so yeah the data on deaths as a whole compared to last year would be of interest. Surely its harder to hide deaths as a total even if you want to play games with how they died.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
4 users like this post:
Old 18-05-2020, 09:33 AM   #3153
roKWiz
Cabover nut

[QUOTE=T3rminator;6441834Try explaining that to the farmers or producers being impacted. Many will go broke and out of business, flow on impact to workers and their families. Or be forced to produce $1 per litre of milk for the Aussie market.[/QUOTE]

That's been happening long before Covid due to foreign take overs and land acquisition.

This user likes this post:
Old 18-05-2020, 10:49 AM   #3154
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe we'll get some better meat, I haven't had a good steak since the early 1990's.
I can't believe it's been 30 Years.
3 users like this post:
Old 18-05-2020, 11:36 AM   #3155
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

9 new cases and no deaths in Australia so CMR drops to 1.391% but active cases are up to 8.23% (580).

I new case in NZ so CMR drops to 1.401% and active cases to 3.3% (49).

Just over 3,500 new cases and 170 deaths in the UK so the CMR drops to 14.213%.

23,488 new cases and 1,218 deaths in the USA so the CMR is down to 5.977% and active cases to 71.5%.

Elsewhere:
Italy passes 3M completed tests;
Brazil (6,344) was back down to more reasonable new case numbers although that might be a result of weekend reporting; and
Mexico is starting to record bigger case numbers and the mortality rate is over 10%.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 18-05-2020, 12:28 PM   #3156
superyob
Banned

Franco!!! Get back to work. Cav, you have all those gorgeous women to please and you're hanging around here? Get back to... errr; work???
3 users like this post:
Old 18-05-2020, 12:39 PM   #3157
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed View Post
Maybe we'll get some better meat, I haven't had a good steak since the early 1990's.
You must have been buying it from the wrong places.
Victoria's NE best local steaks I've ever eaten. having $34kg Scotch fillet tonight in fact. $5kg cheaper than that crap Woolworth sell.

2 users like this post:
Old 18-05-2020, 03:03 PM   #3158
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
I aint gonna get into a debate about Taiwan or HK cos I don't know enough about it from either side. The world is split on whether those two should be recognised as being independent. The British handed HK back to China not long ago. Again, here WE are telling them how they should behave and what their policies should be.
Which countries do we currently have a economic or military relationship with that doesn't have a chequered past?
Anyhow, you've made your point clear
I am just glad I'm a Victorian right now. We have "chairman Dan" leading the way, and I do feel the BRI is going to help pull us out of a pickle. But that is just my view.

PS. Just to declare, my background is from an asian country that has historically despised China. I am no CCP sympathiser.
When the UK handed HK back there was an agreed 50 year timeframe to total incorporation into China, the demonstrators are concerned that the HK gov is accelerating this (thus eroding the rights that exist for them in the transition)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator
Tell me one law or "way of life" that the CCP has influenced in this country. I can't think of any. Its all fake news. They don't give a hoots how we live. But I do think they are ****ed off because we are telling them how they should live.
Fine to say you'd rather have an empty wallet when its not your wallet being emptied at this moment.
BTW I do think this beef deal will all blow over. Appropriate paper work will get done and it will resume. Barley I'm not so sure....

This one, if I read the Belt & road infrastructure funding that Dan has signed Vic up for correctly, does it not include aspects of their social credit monitoring on inner Melb streets with cameras etc? If so, that's an impingement on sovereignty for that sweet, sweet infrastructure $$$ hit...
Old 18-05-2020, 04:46 PM   #3159
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Now the UN wants to probe China...

Where was the probing for their human rights violations??
If China wants to kill their own that's one thing, but killing people from other countries is another.

The UN should probe. EU should probe. Every country in the world should probe.

China knew how badly it would affect their economy if they had contained this virus in China only. Instead, they deliberately let it spread around the world so that they weren't the only ones impacted.

If we are going down, you're all going down too mentality.
Old 18-05-2020, 04:59 PM   #3160
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
Franco!!! Get back to work. Cav, you have all those gorgeous women to please and you're hanging around here? Get back to... errr; work???
I'm in lockdown because Rocky is 20 kms away from me and they are at panic stations because someone has tested positive.

Can the virus fly 20kms?
4 users like this post:
Old 18-05-2020, 05:02 PM   #3161
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
I'm in lockdown because Rocky is 20 kms away from me and they are at panic stations because someone has tested positive.

Can the virus fly 20kms?
Well it made it 650KM from Brisbane to Rocky, so yes, it can....
Old 18-05-2020, 06:05 PM   #3162
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
Well it made it 650KM from Brisbane to Rocky, so yes, it can....

Yeah but it didn't fly, it hitched a ride...
Old 18-05-2020, 06:36 PM   #3163
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Did it travel on ah-choo-choo?
2 users like this post:
Old 18-05-2020, 10:50 PM   #3164
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Did it travel on ah-choo-choo?
Container ship, Evergreen.
This user likes this post:
Old 19-05-2020, 06:18 AM   #3165
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-...arley/12261108
They did similar in late 90s to scoured wool (washed wool) which totally wiped out Australia’s wool scouring and combing industry! Resulting in every Aussie wool scouring and wool combing plant relocating to China.
If Australia had any balls, they should have put a tariff on greasy wool going TO China!
Australia is one of the world’s largest wool, wheat (and to a lesser extent, barley) Not to mention iron ore, uranium etc!
WE should be the ones imposing bloody “tariffs”!! NOT them!
The sooner we stop letting these so called “super-powers” dictate to us the better!
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
8 users like this post:
Old 19-05-2020, 06:52 AM   #3166
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-...arley/12261108
They did similar in late 90s to scoured wool (washed wool) which totally wiped out Australia’s wool scouring and combing industry! Resulting in every Aussie wool scouring and wool combing plant relocating to China.
If Australia had any balls, they should have put a tariff on greasy wool going TO China!
Australia is one of the world’s largest wool, wheat (and to a lesser extent, barley) Not to mention iron ore, uranium etc!
The sooner we stop letting these so called “super-powers” dictate to us the better!
Australian leaders lack testicular fortitude, only care about muh franking credits
3 users like this post:
Old 19-05-2020, 06:59 AM   #3167
PhilT2

Quote:
We have been putting tariffs on Chinese imports for many years, trying to protect local industries. Now the Chinese have done the same to us.

https://www.afr.com/companies/agricu...0200512-p54sax
Old 19-05-2020, 09:31 AM   #3168
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilT2 View Post
We have been putting tariffs on Chinese imports for many years, trying to protect local industries. Now the Chinese have done the same to us.

https://www.afr.com/companies/agricu...0200512-p54sax
Forget Chinese friggin imports! (Who wants the crap?)
They ripped the rug right out from under us with THEM imposing tariffs on OUR wool!
And we meekly accepted it! It absolutely decimated the entire Australian wool industry.
Anyone remember the saying “Australia... riding on the sheep’s back”?
We literally WERE!!...
The best, the finest quality wool on the planet... and in incredible abundance!
And WE feckin allowed “THEM”... (China) to impose a tariff on Australia’s “bread & butter” WOOL!!!
Shouldn’t AUSTRALIA have been calling the shots????? (Nope, let’s just keep selling our soul!)
I know I’ve said this before!.... But, I’ll say it again!
Australia “SHOULD BE” the wealthiest country on earth!
The mineral reserves, the iron ore, the oil and gas reserves, the cattle, the sheep, the grains, the food grown and produced...
We ALL should be living like friggin Sheiks! (And they ONLY have oil)
There should be zero debt, zero poverty... EVERY Australian should be living on easy street... FOREVER!

But.... NOPE!!! The mighty “hollier than though” governments over the years have pi55ed the whole feckin lot against the wall like drunken sailors!!
And even worse.... Sold us feckin out!!!
(Rant over!....)
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
Old 19-05-2020, 09:47 AM   #3169
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Similarly, South Africa ought to be doing better than it has for a good while. But that’s for another thread!
Old 19-05-2020, 10:34 AM   #3170
kaniSS
BIG MEMBER ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed View Post
No we won't. They would rather throw it in the bin than sell good meat to us for a cheaper price. It's just disgusting it makes me sick.

Just the other day I saw a pic in China with Australian lobsters as big as your arm, fat and fresh. On the weekend I went to buy one at my local seafood store they looked disgusting, size of your hand, no meat in them and frozen.
They wanted $40 for each. Get stuffed.
Old 19-05-2020, 11:42 AM   #3171
PhilT2

Quote:
Forget Chinese friggin imports! (Who wants the crap?)
Who wants it? Aussies do; there was a time when local products and imports were in the shops side by side. We all made a choice and the imports won. Don't blame the govt for the decisions we all made. They just let us have the choice and we chose the imports.
2 users like this post:
Old 19-05-2020, 11:45 AM   #3172
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaniSS View Post
No we won't. They would rather throw it in the bin than sell good meat to us for a cheaper price. It's just disgusting it makes me sick.

Just the other day I saw a pic in China with Australian lobsters as big as your arm, fat and fresh. On the weekend I went to buy one at my local seafood store they looked disgusting, size of your hand, no meat in them and frozen.
They wanted $40 for each. Get stuffed.
China was paying $90-$100 per Kilo for our lobster at the start of the year before the shut down. Unless the local market can price match fisherman will sell to the highest bidder. That's why 90% of Australia’s Rock lobster goes to China.
Old 19-05-2020, 11:52 AM   #3173
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Work Horse View Post
China was paying $90-$100 per Kilo for our lobster at the start of the year before the shut down. Unless the local market can price match fisherman will sell to the highest bidder. That's why 90% of Australia’s Rock lobster goes to China.
yeap my Dad (bless him) rants about the same thing, aaahhh we sell out to China etc.

If you were a farmer and you were getting double in a market I reckon your business sense would have pointed you in the same direction.

China have the $$$ at the moment, people need to move past that, sure if our "sovereignty" is at risk different story. But I could never get angry at a supplier chasing the $$, thats the whole point of business in the first place.

The irony in saying we should stop supplying some markets.....The people making those calls are not the ones living off that income.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
2 users like this post:
Old 19-05-2020, 11:57 AM   #3174
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Who wants it? Aussies do; there was a time when local products and imports were in the shops side by side. We all made a choice and the imports won. Don't blame the govt for the decisions we all made. They just let us have the choice and we chose the imports.
Who let the crap into the country in the first place? Our goverment...
3 users like this post:
Old 19-05-2020, 12:12 PM   #3175
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
“We ALL made a choice”???
“ALL” being the encompassing word!... I certainly wasn’t asked? Were you?
Anyhow.... I made MY feckin choice.....
Pura Vida...
7 users like this post:
Old 19-05-2020, 12:12 PM   #3176
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=Yellow_Festiva;6441875]

They have been planning this for years - buying up great parcels of land in multiple countries, shipping docks, farms etc.

They have been overtaking us by stealth for years, also there moves on pacific islands is a worry, airplane gifts plus infrastructure like the Tongan wharf which i would imagine they get fishing rights out of this plus access for there Navy.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/south-p...cific-ventures
3 users like this post:
Old 19-05-2020, 12:18 PM   #3177
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

15 new cases for Australia yesterday and one death. CMR is slightly worse at 1.402% but active cases drop to 569 (8.1%).

No change for NZ but active cases are down to 45 (3.0%).

The UK had 2,711 new cases and 160 deaths so CMR improves to 14.121%.

The USA had under 20k new cases and only 865 deaths so CMR improves to 5.955% and active cases to 71.4%.

Elsewhere:
Brazil was back to over 13k new cases;
Australia passes the 1M test mark;
Lesotho recorded its first case bringing the total of countries with a case to 213; and
Qatar has the highest number of cases per 100k of population with 1,179.

Observatio Facta Rotae

2 users like this post:
Old 19-05-2020, 12:29 PM   #3178
Bossxr8
Peter Car

If we had any balls we would start putting tariffs on their cheap garbage that undercuts our quality products.

Government too scared to lose trade though. We would be better off in the long run doing it, and finding alternative markets for our stuff. The UK after brexit is a perfect example. I'm pretty sure we are already trying to get a trade deal going with them atm.
2 users like this post:
Old 19-05-2020, 12:50 PM   #3179
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
The irony in saying we should stop supplying some markets.....The people making those calls are not the ones living off that income.
The irony is they have no vested interest in it and are trying to protect Australia from foreign influences, unlike working for a foreign owned company digging up Australia's resources and flogging them off dirt (pun) cheap to another country.
Can we list how many 100% Aussie owned mining operations there are in Australia.
If we are going to trade with other countries lets do it like for like in values otherwise Australia could work towards being more self sufficient.

I reckon 60% of the Hunter Valley is now in China.

2 users like this post:
Old 19-05-2020, 01:00 PM   #3180
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
Biggest BS I have seen for a while, that "source" is fake or incomplete or just outright propoganda/lies.

Sorry left my source off: - CDC - these guys lean to the left according to many opinions, but it is them that own the data.
https://gis.cdc.gov/grasp/fluview/mortality.html
Closed Thread