Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2020, 08:14 PM   #3001
.:4:.
Kicking back

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post
I heard something today in regards to this JobKeeper payments scheme, and that being most first and second year apprentices, are now earning a higher weekly wage than third year apprentices!

How is that fair to a third year apprentice?

Is this really the case?
At work our 1st and 2nd year apprenti are loving the extra pay. The rest of us get the 750 and work pay the rest to make up our weekly wage. When i was a 1st year on a flat week i made $280. These days 1st years are on more then the $9 per hour i was, and back in 06 i was getting paid better then my mates. Its a rort for the low income earners, but atleast it keeps people in jobs for the time being. I almost felt bad for my tenant when he said he is on the job keeper payment alone. His position currently does not exist, nor his industry. Then he tells me its great, only down $10 per week and has no work or work related expenses.
This user likes this post:
Old 11-05-2020, 10:17 PM   #3002
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Old 11-05-2020, 11:00 PM   #3003
zipping
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Work Horse View Post
Mr Trump has been criticised for not moving sooner, he had all the information weeks before he moved. So he claimed he moved first (a lie) to answer his critics.

Instead of making it about himself he should have pointed out the facts.

The USA is one of the world’s great democracies. As such it is not beholden to one person to make decisions in a crisis.

The public service kicked into action before Mr Trump lifted a finger. The CDC was monitoring arrivals from Wuhan and checking temperatures weeks before the travel ban was imposed. The USA acted prompty and correctly with the information that was know at the time.

This is the information Mr Trump should have reassured the American people with.
You got me, the US was the first non-asian country to move, is that fair?

Whilst the CDC did start monitoring airports early, 3 at first and 20 by end of Jan they haven't exactly covered themselves in glory through this pandemic.

CDC mission: As the nation's health protection agency, CDC saves lives and protects people from health threats. To accomplish our mission, CDC conducts critical science and provides health information that protects our nation against expensive and dangerous health threats, and responds when these arise.

https://www.propublica.org/article/i...to-coronavirus

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/propublica/

The CDC fumbled its communication with public health officials and underestimated the threat of the coronavirus even as it gained a foothold in the United States, according to hundreds of pages of documents ProPublica obtained.

As the organistaion set up to deal with pandemics the CDC was resposible for testing
https://www.technologyreview.com/202...virus-testing/

Early testing failed and took weeks (a month?) to sort.

No doubt Trump has got things wrong but he will also unfairly wear the F-ups of the CDC.
Old 11-05-2020, 11:06 PM   #3004
zipping
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
At work our 1st and 2nd year apprenti are loving the extra pay. The rest of us get the 750 and work pay the rest to make up our weekly wage. When i was a 1st year on a flat week i made $280. These days 1st years are on more then the $9 per hour i was, and back in 06 i was getting paid better then my mates. Its a rort for the low income earners, but atleast it keeps people in jobs for the time being. I almost felt bad for my tenant when he said he is on the job keeper payment alone. His position currently does not exist, nor his industry. Then he tells me its great, only down $10 per week and has no work or work related expenses.
$280?

You had it easy

In my day $140 (and I thought I was rich)
Old 11-05-2020, 11:45 PM   #3005
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipping View Post
$280?

You had it easy

Go to the inflation calculator and put in your weekly apprenticeship wage in what year then compare it to 2019

I was getting $270/week as a 1st year apprentice - $7.05/hour in 2010

https://www.rba.gov.au/calculator/annualDecimal.html

About $320/week in 2019 spondoolies
Old 11-05-2020, 11:55 PM   #3006
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
$280?

You had it easy

Good for both of you.about $18 wk first yr in1967
2 users like this post:
Old 11-05-2020, 11:56 PM   #3007
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
$280?

You had it easy

Yeah, but you probably have an education and are doing better for youself these days. It's not really a financial hit getting paid to get industry experience and getting paid to learn. Beats working nights for little funds.
Old 12-05-2020, 12:03 AM   #3008
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:

No doubt Trump has got things wrong but he will also unfairly wear the F-ups of the CDC.
It's so not about Mr Trump....
Old 12-05-2020, 05:20 AM   #3009
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Wait to see if this happens...

Report: Apple Plans to Move Significant Amount of iPhone Production from China to India

https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2020/...hina-to-india/
2 users like this post:
Old 12-05-2020, 06:01 AM   #3010
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I Just graphed some numbers from https://gis.cdc.gov/grasp/fluview/mortality.html
Up until about a 4 weeks ago ago there was no significant increase in the average weekly mortality rate. it then bumped up by a total of 10k one week, 15k the next, then back to normal. This was a big bump for those weeks as usually 55000 people die each week in USA.

This bump (while every life lost is sad) is not even a 1% increase in the typical annual lives lost from all causes.
Old 12-05-2020, 06:50 AM   #3011
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
Wait to see if this happens...

Report: Apple Plans to Move Significant Amount of iPhone Production from China to India

https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2020/...hina-to-india/
Looks like they invested a lot of spondoolies in India prior and we're assembling iPhones there locally:

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/21/appl...-in-india.html

I'm interested in how mainstream media advertises the latest development because I've set to find anything except by 'alternative' sources and various Indian media companies.
Old 12-05-2020, 10:27 AM   #3012
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Good for both of you.about $18 wk first yr in1967

$21 a fortnight!
Old 12-05-2020, 10:29 AM   #3013
superyob
Banned

Quote:
$280?

You had it easy

$140??? Bloody luxury!!! I was lucky to be beaten with a stick after a 25 hour day...
Old 12-05-2020, 10:36 AM   #3014
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Australia had 7 new cases yesterday so CMR drops to 1.396% and active cases to 9.7%. It should be noted that most of those were in Victoria and that 12 new cases have been reported in Victoria so far today already.

NZ had 3 new cases so CMR is down to 1.403% and active cases to 6.8%.

UK had almost 4k new cases but only 210 deaths so CMR drops to 14.375% but active cases are up to 85.3%.

The USA only had a bit over 20k new cases and 750 deaths so the CMR drops to 5.908% but active cases are up to 75.4%. Both those figures are a lot better than the 30k / 2k numbers that we've been seeing.

Globally, we've passed the 4.25M case mark and the increases from other countries have dropped the USA below a third of all cases (32.56%). Spain and Iran are both starting to climb again after they had flattened out and Russia had a second straight day over 11k new cases. Africa has also surpassed 3k new cases / day.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Last edited by russellw; 12-05-2020 at 11:00 AM.
3 users like this post:
Old 12-05-2020, 10:38 AM   #3015
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
$140??? Bloody luxury!!! I was lucky to be beaten with a stick after a 25 hour day...
And you tell young people that today and they won't believe a word....
Old 12-05-2020, 10:39 AM   #3016
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Those figures are eye watering....

If we have a spike after restrictions it won't be pretty.

4 years to financially recover apparently.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Old 12-05-2020, 12:46 PM   #3017
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

Quote:
You had someone to beat you ? !

I used to dream of someone to beat me. I had to beat myself, and I had to get the stick first. Sticks were rare in those days, not like now, laying around all over the place.

_I_ had to work for 27 years before I could START my apprenticeship and paid for the privilege...Only had time to beat myself in bed AFTER I'd fallen asleep...
Old 12-05-2020, 12:50 PM   #3018
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post

4 years to financially recover apparently.
I would say it is already questionable if we will be able to repay the current debt, once the real numbers for C19 are added we will never be able to repay the debt

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austra...overnment_debt

So in the meantime, GovCo will keep on issuing Treasury Bonds and increase the return until someone buys them. It's interesting how Bonds works IMO it is a Ponzi but that would be illegal.
Old 12-05-2020, 01:13 PM   #3019
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
I would say it is already questionable if we will be able to repay the current debt,
when was the last time australia had no debt? There will always be debt. countries don't pay off debt like we pay off a mortgage. its a very different concept.

this talk of 'taxpayers will be paying for years' is just meaningless emotive language. there will always be taxpayers, and workers don't get a direct say in how the money gets spent. Yes, you can vote for certain political parties etc but at the end of the day, you go to work, you earn money and pay a percentage in tax. that percentage will vary dependant on many factors. its been high before and is currently low. i am aware that's a rather simplistic view of it, but essentially, that's the reality for the average worker.

People talk like this current govt spending is coming out of their own pocket.
Old 12-05-2020, 01:40 PM   #3020
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
when was the last time australia had no debt? There will always be debt. countries don't pay off debt like we pay off a mortgage. its a very different concept.

this talk of 'taxpayers will be paying for years' is just meaningless emotive language. there will always be taxpayers, and workers don't get a direct say in how the money gets spent. Yes, you can vote for certain political parties etc but at the end of the day, you go to work, you earn money and pay a percentage in tax. that percentage will vary dependant on many factors. its been high before and is currently low. i am aware that's a rather simplistic view of it, but essentially, that's the reality for the average worker.

People talk like this current govt spending is coming out of their own pocket.
Just before Krudd became PM???

Where else is it coming from? I am sure the tax we pay services govt. debt. Happy to be corrected...
Old 12-05-2020, 02:27 PM   #3021
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Frydenburg mentioned a few months ago in an interview that they were selling off shares of Australia to 'pay' for the stimulus package to keep Australia afloat. Not sure what that entails exactly but I can only imagine who on this planet has that sort of coin to purchase such shares.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 12-05-2020, 02:39 PM   #3022
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

If we are giving thought to creating an Oceania travel bubble then there are only 770 active cases in the region, 762 of which are in Australia and NZ with the remaining 8 in French Polynesia (4) and Fiji (4). In fact, of the 14 countries that make up the region, only two other countries have had cases - New Caledonia (18) and PNG (8), both of which now have none.

The rest, Micronesia, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Nauru, Palau, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Tuvalu and Vanuatu have all reported no cases.

Observatio Facta Rotae

5 users like this post:
Old 12-05-2020, 02:42 PM   #3023
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

In fact, there are only 13 countries with no reported cases in total. Excluding the ten (Oceania) countries listed above the remainder are: Lesotho, North Korea and Turkmenistan.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 12-05-2020, 02:46 PM   #3024
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Here's a quick summary of the current restrictions by State. Some of them aren't overly clear so they should be read in conjunction with the advice provided by State Governments.

Observatio Facta Rotae

5 users like this post:
Old 12-05-2020, 03:40 PM   #3025
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Just before Krudd became PM???

Where else is it coming from? I am sure the tax we pay services govt. debt. Happy to be corrected...
Don't confuse govt surplus with being debt free.

You will never not pay tax while you are employed so regardless of the state of the govt position, you will pay tax.

Paying tax is also not a bad thing. Paying tax is doing your bit to help finance the govt. We all live in this country and use what it has to offer so why not help to pay for it.
Old 12-05-2020, 04:14 PM   #3026
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I just wish it could be set up like a bridal registry, so you picked the item(s) your tax directly funded.
Old 12-05-2020, 04:20 PM   #3027
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I just wish it could be set up like a bridal registry, so you picked the item(s) your tax directly funded.
Apparently they do give us a chart of where your personal taxes go towards. Here is an example. Its pretty crude but its suppose to give you some comfort knowing where its gone to. That said, a bridal registry type system would be nice where you can pick and choose what to support the most instead of the gubberment allocating it. But I would hazard a guess that some of the services that rely on taxes would suffer badly due to bias us Australians would have against them.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
4 users like this post:
Old 12-05-2020, 05:41 PM   #3028
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
Here's a quick summary of the current restrictions by State. Some of them aren't overly clear so they should be read in conjunction with the advice provided by State Governments.

is the NSW open home/auction a typo? How can you have 100 people indoors?
Old 12-05-2020, 07:30 PM   #3029
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
Frydenburg mentioned a few months ago in an interview that they were selling off shares of Australia to 'pay' for the stimulus package to keep Australia afloat. Not sure what that entails exactly but I can only imagine who on this planet has that sort of coin to purchase such shares.
I think he's referring to government bonds. Most governments of developed countries issue bonds, which are essentially fixed term loans.

During the Howard years we had no gross national public debt. What that meant was we were owed the same amount by others as we owed foreign entities. They were awash with cash in those days so used it to pay down debt and then to give out pork. There was still private debt.

The coalition mention stuff like this to perpetuate the myth they are better financial managers, just as labor quotes other stuff to perpetuate the lie they are more compassionate and favour the lower classes. If you set aside the propaganda and actually study their policy history you find there isn't daylight between them despite the fanatics aching to believe otherwise.

As in Alien vs Predator, whoever wins we lose....

Similar scale of debt was incurred in WW2. It took a while but it got swallowed by inflation and paid down eventually. Decades, not lifetimes, but that assumes they stop excessive borrowing at some point and that gets less likely every year.
6 users like this post:
Old 12-05-2020, 07:40 PM   #3030
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was about to write he probably meant bonds .

My basic understanding is

Budget = difference between spending and revenue over a period
Gross debt = total debt
Net debt = difference between debt and cash or cash like assets.

Also one thrown around is debt as % of GDP and interest on debt.

Last edited by MITCHAY; 12-05-2020 at 07:50 PM.
Closed Thread