Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-01-2017, 05:05 PM   #1
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Does Coolant Brand Matter?

Does the brand of coolant used matter? I've got a bottle of Calibre Coolant which I bought to flush my fathers car with (I cheaped out alright. It was half the price and his cars falling apart anyway) and now I've just found out a radiator hose on my Fairlane's torn so I'm going to have to drain and fill that up too.

Would it be allgood to use the Calibre coolant to refill the lane up or should I waltz back into the store and buy a proper bottle of Nulon like I usually do? Hopefully supercheap will accept a return and allow me to get the Nulon stuff instead

"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you"
"Cheap, fast and reliable. Pick Two"

Qwerty321 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2017, 06:07 PM   #2
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Default Re: Does Coolant Brand Matter?

The brand of coolant probably doesn't matter as much as the chemical composition. For instance in my cars the Suby and Lotus use a different chemical based coolant (red stuff) to the Ford (green stuff) due to the composition of the metals and rubbers the coolant runs through.
I know it sounds pedantic but its about chemical reactions with different materials.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2017, 12:20 PM   #3
snowcone

You need to check if it is "ready to use" or "concentrate" that you are buying
Ready to use means you just bought 90% water
2002 Ford Explorer

I only drive V8's
snowcone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2017, 02:10 PM   #4
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
Ready to use means you just bought 90% water
No all should now comply with and Australian Standards and have around 33% glycol content. The %age glycol will be on the label. Generally stay with brand names as one (now respectable company) was caught some decades ago selling water with a cheap green colouring agent and no glycol. I generally use Castrol or Valvoline.
Old 20-01-2017, 03:01 PM   #5
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Some ready to use coolants are also a straight up corrosion inhibitor with no anti freeze/anti boil ability, ie: no glycol
Old 20-01-2017, 08:12 PM   #6
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Never mix brand X with brand Y.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-01-2017, 12:43 AM   #7
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well I just went back and swapped it for some Nulon Long Life Green. Both were concentrates yea. Ended up deciding I might as well do it properly instead of half arsing it. Considering replacing the thermostat at the same time. Thoughts?

"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you"
"Cheap, fast and reliable. Pick Two"

Qwerty321 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2017, 09:43 AM   #8
monzie

Some years ago a mates Nissan Patrol was starting to overheat so we whipped the radiator out and hung around while the radiator shop took the top tank off. The top was full of jelly caused by topping up the system with a different brand coolant.
Buying cheap coolant is false economy.
Old 21-01-2017, 12:45 PM   #9
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Does brand matter ? for me its the perceived quality of the product , i like to think it has the required ingredients to inhibit corrosion/electrolysis and keep the coolant from boiling/freezing in adverse conditions , my henry is 16 years old with the original head gasket/unopened, so i must be doing something right with my cooling system ingredients ......either that or its just a grouse old donk ..
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2017, 12:35 PM   #10
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Something else to remember is that the 1 litre bottles of concentrate may well have enough corrosion inhibitor additives to treat a 12-15L cooling system, but the glycol content when watered down will be like taking a whizz in the ocean.....
Old 22-01-2017, 02:10 PM   #11
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
Something else to remember is that the 1 litre bottles of concentrate may well have enough corrosion inhibitor additives to treat a 12-15L cooling system, but the glycol content when watered down will be like taking a whizz in the ocean.....
Not if the concentrate in near 100% glycol, as most are, and going above a 65% glycol mix will cause problems and in Australia where freezing generally isn't a risk between 33% and 50% is considered ideal. Amongst other issues too high a level of glycol can cause the coolant to be too viscous when cold so the system keeps recirculating the gooey coolant through the bypass system rather than the radiator (to viscous to be easily pumped through the small radiator tubes) causing short term heat soak and likely catastrophic overheating. Especially so in our cooling system and head gasket sensitive crossflow Ford straight sixes and even more so if the car is used in hilly or mountainous conditions so the altitude and temp change rapidly or in frost of mist prone areas (where the high glycol mix in the radiator will change to unmovable jelly with the cold air going through the radiator).

As the say here: http://www.noranews.org/?page=AntifreezeInfo
Quote:
A mixture of one part engine coolant concentrate one part with distilled water will result in a mixture with a freeze point of –34°F and a boiling point of 265°F (with 15 PSI pressure cap). Do not use concentrate engine coolant without adding water; it does not circulate well and can lead to overheating. In extremely cold climates using a 60% ethylene glycol mixture will give freeze protection to -55 °F. Additional glycol will not further lower the freeze point. Do not add water to pre-dilute engine coolants.
Too high a level will also cause the additives such as silicates, nitrates and phosphates to settle out so the coolant loses it's anti-corrosion properties.

Purse glycol unlike a water glycol mix also has a freezing point not lower than water:

While ethylene glycol has many advantages, it does not transfer heat as well as clean water. Excessive concentrations will cause a significant elevation of engine operating temperature and cooling system failure. Using just concentrate or levels above 70% will likely result in a catastrophic failure and perhaps a blown head gasket. It's the water in the mix that does most of the actual cooling. The coolant additive is there to prevent freezing, inhibit corrosion and lubricate the water pump bearing.
See https://hellafunctional.com/?p=629 and the articles referenced at the foot of that page.

Last edited by aussiblue; 22-01-2017 at 02:25 PM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2017, 02:19 PM   #12
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Have and always will use Nulon only.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2017, 03:33 PM   #13
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
Not if the concentrate in near 100% glycol, as most are, and going above a 65% glycol mix will cause problems and in Australia where freezing generally isn't a risk between 33% and 50% is considered ideal.
What I was saying is that a single one litre of concentate quite often labelled as "makes up to 15 litres of coolant" will have insufficient glycol to treat a cooling system capacity of 10-15 litres, because whatever you do, even 1 litre of pure glycol cannot possibly make the minimum of 33% when mixed with enough water to fill an average cars cooling system.
Old 25-01-2017, 10:53 PM   #14
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

Nulon make Calibre coolant.
2000 Ford Falcon Wagon Egas
2000 Honda Accord V6L SVI dual fuel
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
janddbone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2017, 12:29 AM   #15
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you mix different brands you do run the risk of electrolysis, which will lead to a hole in your radiator, or worse still in one of the engine water jackets.
It's pretty amusing though, considering the XR8 next year will be reborn with the same spec engine as the FG GT, could you imagine being a HSV owner forking out all that money on a brand new GTS, then pulling up to the lights next to a FH XR8 and then sitting side by side all the way to 100 and beyond
Even more embarrasing would be the lower spec variants of the VF in HSV's stable getting whopped by a factory XR8.
ford man xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2017, 12:48 AM   #16
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
you mix different brands you do run the risk of electrolysis, which will lead to a hole in your radiator, or worse still in one of the engine water jackets.
No; you need a stray current for electrolysis, mixing different and incompatible types of coolant or inhibitor will more likely cause sludging blocking the core tubes as they react with each other or settling out of silicate or other additives or coating of cooling channels. See http://www.are.com.au/feat/techtalk/horror_pictures.htm for some interesting examples.
Old 26-01-2017, 01:13 AM   #17
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
No; you need a stray current for electrolysis, mixing different and incompatible types of coolant or inhibitor will more likely cause sludging blocking the core tubes as they react with each other or settling out of silicate or other additives or coating of cooling channels. See http://www.are.com.au/feat/techtalk/horror_pictures.htm for some interesting examples.
If you mix different brands of coolant though, they can react reducing corrosion protection, if you have a stray current and different coolants are mixed the chemical reaction can increase the effects of electrolysis when otherwise the stray current wouldn't have caused a problem.
It's pretty amusing though, considering the XR8 next year will be reborn with the same spec engine as the FG GT, could you imagine being a HSV owner forking out all that money on a brand new GTS, then pulling up to the lights next to a FH XR8 and then sitting side by side all the way to 100 and beyond
Even more embarrasing would be the lower spec variants of the VF in HSV's stable getting whopped by a factory XR8.
ford man xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2017, 01:35 AM   #18
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by janddbone View Post
Nulon make Calibre coolant.
Doesnt matter who makes it, it will be made to supercraps specifications.
Old 26-01-2017, 01:45 AM   #19
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

What an Australian standard???
2000 Ford Falcon Wagon Egas
2000 Honda Accord V6L SVI dual fuel
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
janddbone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2017, 02:47 AM   #20
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I use Nulon on mine.
Personal preference and brand name that I would entrust with

Calibre brand for a falling apart car is fine
I'm sure prob outlast the car

Sent via my ASUS ZE551ML
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
uniacidz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2017, 10:28 PM   #21
stang65
FPRJET

interesting a BMW mechanic friend of mine worked for ford & holden before BMW I told him I just bought some ford coolant and he said its to acidic.. He actually recommended Repco.....