Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-12-2016, 01:24 PM   #31
ZedTee
Just kickin' up dust

Default Re: A Great Time To Be A Driving Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optional View Post
We may be the last generation to view driving as a right just about all of us should enjoy.

Once self driving vehicles prove to be safer than regular cars laws will soon follow to make new drivers prove they are at least that safe.

I think that eventually driving will require jet fighter style training before being allowed on the streets.

I'm glad that I got the chance to drive dangerous machines pretty much where and how I want. I bet our grandkids will shake their heads at the craziness of it.

Merry Xmas
It's a good thread and an interesting read, But I have to pick on one thing;

Driving is a Privilege NOT a Right.

We are privileged to be able to get a licence to drive a car, you respect it or you lose the Privilege to be able to drive a car. Somewhere along the lines everybody just started thinking that it is their Right to drive a car. We all need to remember that it is a Privilege to drive a car, you abuse it you lose it.

2 Time Australian National Circlework Champion 2014 & 2017
First Falcon to win the National Circlework Title! Click here
First Muppet to win the National Circlework Title Twice! Click here

3rd 2015 18th 2016 2nd 2018
1st Bendigo Bute Ute show Circlework 2015, 2016 and 2017
ZedTee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 28-12-2016, 01:30 PM   #32
xr8cam

My car AUXR8. Wifes car AWD Subaru. Work car Commordore VF wagon sv6. I prefer them in that order as the AU only has ABS but that said, I have over 35 years driving & riding some of the most basic cars & motorbikes ever built. I learnt how to 'feel' the car through the tyres & steering wheel & what suspension's limits are etc. My issue with driver aids is the attraction to drive faster than your ability allows. Yes, there is the argument that it can save accidents but do we really want the roads full of amateur drivers that think they're they have Craig Lowndes ability? The problem as I see it is this. As consumers, we are led to believe that more power is better so car companies compete to have the fastest/most kw/0-100 time with every new model.The dilemma is keeping these cars safe to drive this quick which is impossible without blowing budgets, so cheap componentry is developed to combat this problem. We celebrate car companies for this but in reality the driver aids are cheap alternatives to better quality metals & build techniques. High taxes & import duties will always force car companies to save where they can, so cheaper materials will be sort to combat this. The governments dictate the quality of what is on our roads a lot more than we realise. Like everything these days, its a compromise of profits V quality and unfortunately, quality generally comes 2nd.
xr8cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2016, 02:26 PM   #33
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olbucko View Post
Can't ever see self driving cars working out in the bush, how are they going to cope with potholes, narrow roads with a strip of bitumen just wide enough for one car, roos and wallabies that jump out at the last second, wombats, roads without shoulders, creek crossings, snow, endless road works, dirt roads, narrow blind corners, etc etc.
I agree with this one.I have seen some situations that cannot be programmed into a computer.

This topic has come up on another forum I visit which has nothing to do with cars or roads.
There are a few people on there who are very enthusiastic about self driving cars. They have all the answer until you ask about a random situation which could happen on a very rural road. I usually ask about a situation I have personally seen. The usual response is "It will just know what to do" or "The programmer will be able to program it in"

These people idea of rural driving is usually driving on a state of the art freeway between to big cities.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2016, 02:36 PM   #34
Optional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
I agree with this one.I have seen some situations that cannot be programmed into a computer.

This topic has come up on another forum I visit which has nothing to do with cars or roads.
There are a few people on there who are very enthusiastic about self driving cars. They have all the answer until you ask about a random situation which could happen on a very rural road. I usually ask about a situation I have personally seen. The usual response is "It will just know what to do" or "The programmer will be able to program it in"

These people idea of rural driving is usually driving on a state of the art freeway between to big cities.

I do think they will cope with random terrain eventually.

But to start with it will be long distance trucks.

Then taxis in urban areas.

By the time there's a demand for non main road rural auto-driving a lot of development will have gone on.
Optional is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2016, 02:52 PM   #35
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8cam View Post
My car AUXR8. Wifes car AWD Subaru. Work car Commordore VF wagon sv6. I prefer them in that order as the AU only has ABS but that said, I have over 35 years driving & riding some of the most basic cars & motorbikes ever built. I learnt how to 'feel' the car through the tyres & steering wheel & what suspension's limits are etc. My issue with driver aids is the attraction to drive faster than your ability allows. Yes, there is the argument that it can save accidents but do we really want the roads full of amateur drivers that think they're they have Craig Lowndes ability?
I’m old enough to have owned many vehicles without safety driving aids including seat belts and brakes that actually stopped a car.

There were no speed limits back then, the roads were crap and narrow and there were many, many people who drove very very fast and way beyond their limits without fear of ever being grabbed by the constabulary.

I’m sure some of them wouldn’t have died such messy deaths if they had what was available to us today.

I’m all for modern improvements to motor vehicles and if a car enthusiast thinks that takes away their driving pleasure then they should stop being so self-absorbed and buy an older vehicle or switch some of the systems down or off in their newer cars.

Safety aids don’t mean you can’t enjoy the thrill of driving cars, they in fact make it safer for all of us road users.

And even though I agree experience definitely plays a part in learning to drive it doesn’t make you a good driver, many people have bad and lazy habits and many still never learn car control without or without safety systems.

You want people to learn car control then lobby the government to make advanced driving courses mandatory for all learner drivers.
Old 28-12-2016, 09:30 PM   #36
xr8cam

As is so often the case, people stop reading the post when they see a sentence they disagree with. It really shows you up for what you are when you set out to attack or make fun of another person. Look at what the OP is and read a page or two as to get a feel for the direction of the topic. If it is not your post, try to contribute something interesting or constructive. There is nothing to be gained by taking insecurities and frustrations out on a stranger except to increase your self loathing.An opinion is just that, another persons voice or idea. If your blood pressure rises when you read or hear something you disagree with, then your a part of the problem. I really hope everybody tries a little more to remember that peoples opinions are just that, and we all have them. Happy and safe new year to all members, lets have a great 2017.

Last edited by xr8cam; 28-12-2016 at 09:52 PM.
Old 28-12-2016, 09:52 PM   #37
.:4:.
Kicking back

I drove a Mitsubishi van for 6 years. Wickedly underpowered, often overloaded, would get blown about on windy days. It taught me alot about car control because the only thing in it was ac, and on hot days ir would make it overheat. Car control was whenever it rained and it was more my sense of self preservation knowing that there was about 6 inches of van between myself and whatever I was going to hit. Brakes were mostly non existent and if anyone knows sydney in peak hour, the extra space you leave so you can stop just means a gap to other drivers and often compression locking 2nd was the only way to slow down in time with the hopeless brakes. I never did crash it (bar the time I got can opened by a tray back hi lux, his fault). Came close more times then I care to remember. 185 14 lts should be banned. The ranger, whilst not as practical to work out of, is much more relaxing to drive to work. It has its limitations, but if you drive it like a normal person, it stops when you get cutoff, and whilst it doesn't mind getting a but loose around wet oiled up roundabouts it's predicabe and when dsc eventually kicks in it straightens back up. It's no falcon by any means in the handling department and I'm comparing that to the ba ute we had at work years ago, and that wasn't the best in that sense of the word compared to the ghia and g6 I have at home. But atleast the ranger makes it easier to deal with other road users who are obviously in more of a hurry then me.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-12-2016, 11:31 PM   #38
Optional

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
I drove a Mitsubishi van for 6 years. Wickedly underpowered, often overloaded, would get blown about on windy days. It taught me alot about car control because the only thing in it was ac, and on hot days ir would make it overheat. Car control was whenever it rained and it was more my sense of self preservation knowing that there was about 6 inches of van between myself and whatever I was going to hit. Brakes were mostly non existent and if anyone knows sydney in peak hour, the extra space you leave so you can stop just means a gap to other drivers and often compression locking 2nd was the only way to slow down in time with the hopeless brakes. I never did crash it (bar the time I got can opened by a tray back hi lux, his fault). Came close more times then I care to remember. 185 14 lts should be banned. The ranger, whilst not as practical to work out of, is much more relaxing to drive to work. It has its limitations, but if you drive it like a normal person, it stops when you get cutoff, and whilst it doesn't mind getting a but loose around wet oiled up roundabouts it's predicabe and when dsc eventually kicks in it straightens back up. It's no falcon by any means in the handling department and I'm comparing that to the ba ute we had at work years ago, and that wasn't the best in that sense of the word compared to the ghia and g6 I have at home. But atleast the ranger makes it easier to deal with other road users who are obviously in more of a hurry then me.
I have a tray back BA ute which I really like, driver wise, but have been thinking of upgrading for a year or so. Been looking at Ranger and Colorado 4wd diesels and after test driving a couple I am thinking I just want to keep my old BA and spend a few thousand upgrading suspension (for tray load camper).

Do you think I will get used to a Ranger and not hate driving it after a while? Just felt like a lumpy truck to me. BA feels like a sophisticated car.
Optional is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2016, 11:54 PM   #39
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optional View Post
I have a tray back BA ute which I really like, driver wise, but have been thinking of upgrading for a year or so. Been looking at Ranger and Colorado 4wd diesels and after test driving a couple I am thinking I just want to keep my old BA and spend a few thousand upgrading suspension (for tray load camper).

Do you think I will get used to a Ranger and not hate driving it after a while? Just felt like a lumpy truck to me. BA feels like a sophisticated car.
Mine is an animic 2.2l 2wd low rider single cab 6 speed manual. Honestly it's always loaded and compared to the week I had it empty it makes the ride nicer but the go is less. It's quite comfortable to drive but I know what it can or cannot do so I don't push it. There isn't the option for fun like a falcon ute, but in all sensibility it keeps things legal. Turning circle is almost that of a cruse liner, but the thing is a foot longer then a falcon so its excusable. Fuel economy is not bad at all. For a manual the box is a pretty tight peice of kit and apart from the fact I get jack of cbd traffic for half my life, it's not bad on clear roads. Would have much preferred an auto, but I just work there and my requests fall on deaf ears
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2016, 04:15 PM   #40
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Ford reveals latest driverless car technology

Blue oval outlines second-generation autonomous vehicle prototypes ahead of CES reveal

29 December, 2016

Drive team

Ford Motor Company is introducing its next-generation Fusion Hybrid autonomous development vehicle, just in time for CES and the North American International Auto Show in January.

Ford has revealed details of its second-generation autonomous vehicle development fleet ahead of its official debut at the annual Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, which opens next week.

The American car maker has scaled down the hardware needed for driverless motoring, ditching the Mickey Mouse ears of the original cars and housing some of the sensors in a set of roof racks.

From the outside, the Ford Fusion Hybrid (sold as the Mondeo in Australia, although with the option of a hybrid) may not look too different from a regular Fusion available in Ford dealers across the US right now, but look a little closer and you'll notice an array of cameras, lasers, and radars designed to give the cars in the development fleet a 360 degree view of their surrounds.

Ford's previous generation autonomous vehicle fleet with "Mickey Mouse" Lidar sensors on the roof Photo: Supplied

The next generation vehicles use the same autonomous vehicle platform previously developed by Ford, but upgraded further with new computer hardware allowing faster calculations.

Ford has also redesigned the autonomous vehicle's LIDAR sensors, making them smaller, with a targeted field of vision allowing the number of sensors to drop from four to two. The vehicle's sensing range now extends the equivalent of two American-sized football fields (or roughly 180 metres) in every direction.

The new generation of autonomous Ford vehicles takes over from the original fleet of 30, which first hit the pavement three years ago with Ford aiming to have an SAE level 4-capable vehicle available by 2021.

Level 4 capability refers to an autonomous vehicle that is able to control all aspects of driving free from human intervention or attention with all but very few situations able to be handled by the vehicle.

During 2017 Ford is expected to triple the number of autonomous development vehicles it has on its fleet, with testing to take place both at Ford's proving grounds, as well as on public streets in California, Arizona, and Michigan.

The Consumer Electronics Show is set to open from the 3rd of January with Ford joining a number of other automakers displaying advanced infotainment, connectivity, and autonomous technologies.

http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/f...29-gtj6sr.html
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-12-2016, 05:18 PM   #41
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking Re: A Great Time To Be A Driving Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
I’m glad my children have all the modern safety aids as I don’t want them to go out the way some of my friends in the 70’s & early 80’s did.

Not everyone is good at learning car control no matter how well the car is or isn’t equipped with safety features.

I can understand a car enthusiast sees them as an intrusion and takes away some of the learning aspect of car control as I feel the same but most people aren’t after the thrill of the drive, they just want to get there and with the increase in vehicles on the road it a good thing these systems now exist.

Personally I’ve had a few times when driving my C63 in the wet that I’m pleased the computer has caught it quicker than I could have and I’ll also admit in the dry I like a bit more freedom to slide so I’m not a total wowser on the subject, I just believe the advance in these systems are safer for road users as a whole.

Unfortunately the enthusiasts have to suffer for it or head for the track.
Couldn't agree more. I'll be straight up, without driver aids I probably wouldn't
be writing this post. The F6 without aids is bordering rediculous. Motoring journos have previously written -

'The stability control system does an okay job of keeping the F6 on the road, but the power curve is capable of outfoxing the electronic nannies'.

and.......

'FPV calibration is either on or off, with the latter reserved for the courageous or clinically insane'.

On the track it's a controlled environment and I'd be happy to turn everything off and have a play. For the road though it's a different story - I'd rather have the computer in the background everytime. It's not hard to see why so many unfortunate young fellas came to grief over the years driving high powered muscle cars without the traction aids that would have saved many of them today......I'm one of those thankful blokes. I'm all for technology. As mentioned, for the track I'd turn it off and play all day everyday, for the road thank christ it has my backside covered. Even with the aids on an F6 will scare the absolute bejesus out of you - and you get live another day
chrisandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2016, 01:54 PM   #42
xr8cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisandsharon View Post
Couldn't agree more. I'll be straight up, without driver aids I probably wouldn't
be writing this post. The F6 without aids is bordering rediculous. Motoring journos have previously written -

'The stability control system does an okay job of keeping the F6 on the road, but the power curve is capable of outfoxing the electronic nannies'.

and.......

'FPV calibration is either on or off, with the latter reserved for the courageous or clinically insane'.

On the track it's a controlled environment and I'd be happy to turn everything off and have a play. For the road though it's a different story - I'd rather have the computer in the background everytime. It's not hard to see why so many unfortunate young fellas came to grief over the years driving high powered muscle cars without the traction aids that would have saved many of them today......I'm one of those thankful blokes. I'm all for technology. As mentioned, for the track I'd turn it off and play all day everyday, for the road thank christ it has my backside covered. Even with the aids on an F6 will scare the absolute bejesus out of you - and you get live another day
So what your saying is your a responsible driver. There will always be a small percentage of road users who drive with complete disregard for their own safety. No amount of driver aids will stop the inevitable from happening unfortunately.
Old 30-12-2016, 02:44 PM   #43
Big_Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunch
I think that until computers have instinct and can anticipate the way the human mind can, we are safe from that bleak outcome, until they create a car with AI we should be good and if Skynet is anything to go by, I hope they never do..
One way around it would be if all the vehicles on the road were linked to the same operating system allowing all vehicles to know what every other vehicle on the road is doing, then having to factor in for the unpredictable ( wildlife, fallen trees, weather etc ) will be a problem. It will no doubt happen eventually but that will result in a complete halt in traffic infringements and until the government can work out how to replace such an easy way to raise massive amounts of revenue, not to mention the cost in implementing such a system or the cost to the user.. I can't see it happening anytime soon. I think for now, the odd 'self-drive' car here and there will just be a novelty.
This idea is to take the human element out of it. Humans panic and are unpredictable. Computers are 100% logical, 100% paying attention, they dont get distracted or tired. Are you aware of the main stream driver tech currently? Its already being gradually introduced. Subaru have there eyesight crash avoidance system, which will beep at you and apply brakes if someone steps out in front of you. If you come up behind something you should steer around it will give extra power assist away from it and no assist if ypu steer into it to encorage you to avoid it. Ford also now have a simerlar system except the lane departure warning also has a passive steering effect where it will turn the steering wheel so you stay on the road. You must maintain both hands on the steering wheel, but it will do the rest. The main areas where this will be further implimented will be on highways where roads are long and fairly strait, line markings are clear. It will go the next steep with the lane keeping and adaptive cruse control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optional
I'm not sure I like the idea either. But I doubt a human over ride will be normal. More likely the reverse, where none is allowed I suspect. As the logic will be that it's safer to let the computer decide which vehicle should crash with the least danger to people in cases of problems.

I also think it's going to start really soon. Not 10 years. More like 2017 or 18 we see the arguments over laws begin. And it's one of those things that will change things really fast once here. Like the CD did.

These truck based terror attacks will be a factor pushing it along faster too I think.
Humans are already being limited by there desicion making. Tc, abs, dsc all remove control, which isnt really a bad thing most of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:.
The dad of a good mate of mine got taken for a track day in a Ferrari f40 back in the day (I think it was in the late 90's or just after the f50 was released and I dunno when that was) but he had an awsome day in a super car that you had to change your own gears and drive yourself. Traction control was a balance of clutch and accelerator, no abs, and stability control was 13 inch wide rear wheels. These days you get all the fancy driver aids in a new car under 20 grand, and they all don't have the ability to kill you going anywhere as fast on a straight or in a corner. But to an extent, as cars try not to kill you more and more everyday, people are starting to lack the car control of when they did. Pull a new p plater out of a yarris and throw them in a v8 torana and watch the smile going in a straight line at an average pace turn into a look of horror when it either oversteers into oncoming traffic or understeers into a tree on the first corner when either the fronts lock up under hard braking or dsc doesn't kick in because it didn't exist in the 70s
Yep sure, thats a in experienced driver driving beyomd there limits. Guess what, inexperienced drivers crashed back in the 70's and 80's to! Its still safe as long as the person is paying attention and driving within the limits and conditions.
Big_Red is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2016, 02:45 PM   #44
XWGT