Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 31-12-2016, 09:25 PM   #1
WOLF
Track Red XY

Default Moving from Vic to Qld

Folks,
Yep mid life crisis time, divorced (out of jail)....truth is, as much as I love Apollo Bay, it's just too friggin cold down here for a long distance runner!
So time to get rid of the XY and head north!
I'm leaning towards Brunswick Heads, Lennox, Mullum type towns however very pricey rentals indeed.
Otherwise, I notice Southport and Labrador seem alot more reasonable but I have never been to either. Can anyone recommend/dis these towns or better yet alternatives?
Cheers
WOLF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2016, 09:39 PM   #2
XR815

Default Re: Moving from Vic to Qld

Southport and Labrador or both ok. Very central to everything. I would personally choose Southport over Labrador.

Southport is walk to everything you need.
XR815 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2016, 10:11 PM   #3
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I did the same about 3.5 years ago, I dont regret moving other than leaving family and friends (but these Jellyfish can F off). Yes you lose alot of activities/culture etc but the weather is great, beaches are good and if you get away from the Gold Coast and Brisbane then the traffic etc is normal.

Why are you going to the Gold Coast and why get rid of the XY?

Everyone is different but the places you are saying are as bad as Logan to me.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 31-12-2016, 10:28 PM   #4
73 4V XB
Frankenford pilot
Donating Member1

The Sunshine Coast might suit you more. Rent would be cheaper than the Gold Coast, less traffic and the beaches are just as good with less tourists. I would suggest you come up stay a week here and there to get a feel for things. Don't sell the xy if you have an attachment to it, once it's gone it's gone.

Edit don't go to Logan, it's like Broadmeadows was 15 years ago

73 XB GT
Last of the Big Ports
73 4V XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2016, 11:01 PM   #5
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Was? I take it property prices have increased in Broadie these days?

I should have been straight to the point previously, the Gold Coast is a poo hole.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 31-12-2016, 11:14 PM   #6
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
Was? I take it property prices have increased in Broadie these days?

I should have been straight to the point previously, the Gold Coast is a poo hole.
The only difference between then and now is the joint is full of Lebos and Turks.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2016, 11:27 PM   #7
WOLF
Track Red XY

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73 4V XB View Post
The Sunshine Coast might suit you more. Rent would be cheaper than the Gold Coast, less traffic and the beaches are just as good with less tourists. I would suggest you come up stay a week here and there to get a feel for things. Don't sell the xy if you have an attachment to it, once it's gone it's gone.

Edit don't go to Logan, it's like Broadmeadows was 15 years ago
Yeah guess the only way to know is to try for a few weeks before commiting. You're description of the Sunshine Coast sounds like it would be to my liking.
As a guide, can you suggest some towns? (Not familiar with the region.)
Attached to the XY??? Hell no, I hate it that much that I don't insure it and wouldn't call the cops if it was stolen!
Appreciate the info Gents!
WOLF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2017, 09:19 AM   #8
mechanic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe 40 years ago would have been a good time to move to SEQ but not now.
The whole area has been flooded by immigrants from other states and overseas which has turned the place into a real estate churn.
If you're determined to move there, rent first and then look at some of the coastal towns further north before buying a property.
mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 02-01-2017, 12:40 AM   #9
73 4V XB
Frankenford pilot
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLF View Post
Yeah guess the only way to know is to try for a few weeks before commiting. You're description of the Sunshine Coast sounds like it would be to my liking.
Attached to the XY??? Hell no, I hate it that much that I don't insure it and wouldn't call the cops if it was stolen!
Caloundra is nice, a bit more laid back. Search a 20klm radius from there and see what comes up. Good luck.

Just a word of warning, it does get pretty humid up here so if you don't like sticky weather you might want to consider somewhere in the southern states.

73 XB GT
Last of the Big Ports
73 4V XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2017, 08:16 AM   #10
scoupedy

For me I would go to tweed area if you can get work around the GC I am stuck in Brisbane as I couldn't find work down there. The area has many migrants and tons of Kiwis around Southport area. All places have good and bad pionts I have lived in Perth, Sydney, Melbourne and Brisvegus. The sunny coast is good less crowds etc. I like the tweed for the surf and the fact that midweek its really quite as all the weekend warriors are back in brissy. But I'm stuck in Brisbane.
scoupedy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2017, 11:52 AM   #11
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
The hinterland towns are cheaper for rent. Have a look at Pomona, Yandina, Eudlo, Mooloolah, Glasshouse Mts etc for starters.......
Lots of car clubs up here to...........
Old 09-01-2017, 06:42 PM   #12
nstg8a

Sunny coast is great,,if you work there as well. If you have to commute south then it's a headache.
Motorway works well, until cars go on it. Forget it if there's an accident. Or a cloud in the sky. Or someone sneezes. It's takes nothing for it to become a car park for seemingly no reason, especially in the afternoon when everyone is going home.
Friday afternoon? Finish early, or stay at work real late lol.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2017, 09:52 AM   #13
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Folks,
Yep mid life crisis time, divorced (out of jail)....truth is, as much as I love Apollo Bay, it's just too friggin cold down here for a long distance runner!
So time to get rid of the XY and head north!
I'm leaning towards Brunswick Heads, Lennox, Mullum type towns however very pricey rentals indeed.
Otherwise, I notice Southport and Labrador seem alot more reasonable but I have never been to either. Can anyone recommend/dis these towns or better yet alternatives?
Cheers
Out of those two I would choose Southport. I lived in Southport for a year and it wasn't bad, but there are clear definitive boundaries between low and high class areas so if you are that way inclined take it into consideration.

Sunshine Coast is alot more laid back but again unless you can find work there you'll be driving to Brisbane and that's less than ideal. I also lived on the coast for 10 years, then about 2008 when GFC hit unless you worked in hospitality you either were going to Brisbane for work or be unemployed, I have heard it is recovering but to what extent I don't know.

Humidity is ****** here, this year is 20 years for me in QLD and I'm still not used to it (came up from Cranbourne) so if you hate the sticky weather then I would stay where you are.