Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 12-06-2021, 11:51 PM   #1
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Bonding Silicone Sealant to Epoxy Putty

A curly question, failure is not a desired option because it’s a sanitary application…

I want to silicone seal between glazed porcelain and an existing fillet of something like Knead-It. It’s a well-aged epoxy putty, rock hard with antiseptic smell when you grind it to a powder. It was my decision to leave this product largely in place because it could already be repairing unseen cracking. Why make more work for myself?

When a properly mixed epoxy putty is cured/aged, does it remain strongly alkaline? Acetic cure silicone is best for bonding to the glazed porcelain but I’m concerned it may debond from the epoxy. All advice appreciated!
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2021, 12:32 AM   #2
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Default Re: Bonding Silicone Sealant to Epoxy Putty

I always work on if you cant bolt it or clip it back on, you sikaflex it , I go through a tube a week.
prktkljokr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 13-06-2021, 12:34 AM   #3
slowsnake
Banned

Geez, good luck with that mate, you must be aware of all the so called excellent bonding and epoxy products on the market, obviously you have some type of separation either through shrinkage, or the original application was applied and glazed over.
You may be right in assuming a silicone product, depends on the application.

Me, I would look at either sikaflex products or go for the old school "stag" jointing compound.

Bit more info would be good, and if its easily accessible to remove your '"trial and error" mistakes!

Cheers Billy.
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2021, 01:07 PM   #4
CJR09
RPO 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
A curly question, failure is not a desired option because it’s a sanitary application…

I want to silicone seal between glazed porcelain and an existing fillet of something like Knead-It. It’s a well-aged epoxy putty, rock hard with antiseptic smell when you grind it to a powder. It was my decision to leave this product largely in place because it could already be repairing unseen cracking. Why make more work for myself?

When a properly mixed epoxy putty is cured/aged, does it remain strongly alkaline? Acetic cure silicone is best for bonding to the glazed porcelain but I’m concerned it may debond from the epoxy. All advice appreciated!
CB - in my opinion the ACS aka RTV will debond - you can use a primer to promote adhesion but in my experience an RTV will still eventually debond from that sort of substrate.

I think you're in a bit of a pickle here, a urathane will give the bond you want but won't give the sanitation you may be after.

A picture tells a thousand words - i assume you're in a wc or shower with tiled floors/walls?

How big is the epoxy fillet?

Has someone put the epoxy at the wall to floor junction?

Q: If you have tried to sell it three times now and it is still not sold, do you think it might be over-priced?

A: It is over priced - just like all the other falcon coupes for sale!!

CJR09 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2021, 02:28 PM   #5
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Cheers, it’s a P trap pan, cast wall collar, looks like it originally had a rubber ring seal but that’s long gone. I’m thinking someone patched up damage to the cast iron during a prior pan change. I’ve clearanced the epoxy about 3mm and set the pan with silicone. I don’t want to use Ferropre or other epoxy as any movement might then crack the pan spigot.
Old 13-06-2021, 06:15 PM   #6
CJR09
RPO 77

Gotcha - I would use a urathane silicone in color of your choice

My choice would be 11fc in white

Cheers

Q: If you have tried to sell it three times now and it is still not sold, do you think it might be over-priced?

A: It is over priced - just like all the other falcon coupes for sale!!

CJR09 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-06-2021, 09:02 PM   #7
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Thank you. All sealed up now, will bucket flush it tomorrow afternoon for testing.
Old 14-06-2021, 06:14 PM   #8
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Three ten litre buckets through it; dry as the proverbial item of choice.
2 users like this post:
Old 14-06-2021, 06:40 PM   #9
hayseed

The Title of this Thread, Reminds Me of the Old Story, About a Young Newly Wed Couple. Who got Putty Confused with Vaseline....

All their Windows Fell Out...
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-06-2021, 07:27 PM   #10
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I thought it was Vapo-Rub?
Old 14-06-2021, 07:44 PM   #11
Pis-ton broke
Banned

i would think about ripping out all/most the puttys/sealants and rebuild with a devcon two pack system . its used in industrial applications. i worked in a chemical plant for ten years and the plumper used this stuff all the time.
https://www.itwpf.com.au/devcon/products/
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2021, 08:13 PM   #12
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

If I had the luxury of time, a client who wasn’t excessively garrulous and long-winded, and paid better, I’d look for a nicer solution.

One of these and a back-to-wall close coupled suite would smarten the show up.

https://plumbingsales.com.au/spares-...0mm-pa420.html

Happy to have a sealed pan now, can’t wait to bundy off.
Old 14-06-2021, 11:31 PM   #13
sr71

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJR09 View Post
Gotcha - I would use a urathane silicone in color of your choice

My choice would be 11fc in white

Cheers
Purchased this at Bunnings & Home Hardware in recent months. Bunnings Sikaflex 11FC is now ‘solvent free’. I’m wondering if this a good thing? Or not?
sr71 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post