Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 24-08-2020, 09:01 PM   #5671
Mr_G6ET
Ford G6ET FG MkII

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post
Ah yes, the scare mongering never stops hey.
Long term health effects? That is now a concern to Westerners? Who've been shoving crap into their bodies by way of food & drugs the past 6 decades ....
' Covid has simply brought forward death to the weak and unhealthy by 3 to 24 month' where did you pull that stat' from, (yr) smoo ?

Do you own a retirement home and want to free up bed space ?
Want some older neighbours or loved ones out the way ?
Old 24-08-2020, 09:02 PM   #5672
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unfortunately people have overinflated expectations of aged-care facilities.
For many years I was an auditor and consultant to the industry. I still have contacts and from what I can see things have not improved.

Traditionally these industries were dominated by Church-based and Other Charitable based organisations. Increased demand necessitated increased private involvement, but there is just no way to make a buck.
I did the analysis on a proposal to build a 100-bed state of the art dementia care facility. And the inescapable conclusion was that (not even considering the millions in investment) the facility would lose money.

The income is fixed. The govt determines the level of funding for each patient, and they can then also charge a fixed percentage of the age-pension. Leaving residents with a pittance in pocket money. It's a probably a good thing to prevent charges getting out of hand, but its virtually impossible to run a facility on the income available.
The result is food I wouldn't feed my dogs, lack of maintenance, poorly trained and over-worked staff.

Hostels, which are a rung below "Nursing Homes" are the worst.
There's always some ACA story slamming Hostel staff somewhere, but what most people don't understand is that Hostels are not equipt or funded to provide personal care.
By definition, to reside in a Hostel, the resident must be ambulatory, mentally aware, and able to look after themselves including ablutions and hygiene. Hostels are funded to provide accommodation, meals, cleaning, and laundry, and that's it. They don't employ nursing staff, they employ domestics.
Unfortunately hostels have many residents that simply shouldn't be there, but should be in higher level care. Unqualified domestic staff are then forced to act as personal carers. Many of them are poorly educated and often from non-English backgrounds. Most are genuinely nice people, doing their best in a busted system. But its no wonder diseases go through these places like a dose of the salts.
4 users like this post:
Old 24-08-2020, 09:11 PM   #5673
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_G6ET View Post
' Covid has simply brought forward death to the weak and unhealthy by 3 to 24 month' where did you pull that stat' from, (yr) smoo ?

Do you own a retirement home and want to free up bed space ?
Want some older neighbours or loved ones out the way ?
Putting words in my mouth.
Shall we come back in 2025 and look at deaths for the USA or parts of Europe/UK between 2015-2025 to see if Covid is the big killer we're led to believe...
Old 24-08-2020, 09:13 PM   #5674
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
David Limbrick is one of the MPs who is going to attempt to block the legislation change to extend state of emergency

https://twitter.com/_davidlimbrick/s...700021249?s=19
That's it. You can lobby your MP to take a particular stance. Sounds like its unlikely to get through the upper house. Maybe they should go for 3 months extension then re-evaluate.

It seems the power goes to the CHO, not the premier.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
Old 24-08-2020, 09:15 PM   #5675
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Dazz, I can’t ever blame the staff. As you point out, the fiscal side of things calls the shots. We are fortunate, my family, to be tied in with a (religious) provider whose track record is exemplary. But I also know this exemplary venue is under internal pressures to make more money; they would like to develop the site and condense its populace into medium rise.
This user likes this post:
Old 24-08-2020, 09:22 PM   #5676
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Two women caught breaching coronavirus restrictions by operating a “brothel” in suburban Adelaide have been fined.

Junhua Liu, 50, and Su Cheng Lai, 70, were sentenced separately in the Port Adelaide Magistrates Court on Monday.

The court heard four women were charged after an undercover police officer visited a premises at Croydon Park, north of the Adelaide CBD, in May.
70?!

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...652cb62141bb84
Old 24-08-2020, 09:28 PM   #5677
Mr_G6ET
Ford G6ET FG MkII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
At 70, she knows how you please the man...experience
Old 24-08-2020, 09:29 PM   #5678
leesa

Quote:
What is going to be the next clutching at straws when death rates over the next two to three years haven't increased (ie, Covid has simply brought forward death to the weak and unhealthy by 3 to 24 month).
Will suicides from productive members of society that have had their lives turned upside down and every thing they've work for decimated be counted as Covid deaths. I'm sure authorities will include these to help justify their lockdowns.
How come you're alright with covid taking weak unhealthy people 3-24 months early but not those with mental health issues? How come mental illness to the point of committing suicide isn't considered weak and unhealthy by you? There are millions of people in this country who are coping just fine with lockdowns, restrictions and social isolation.. so why is it alright to pander to one minority but not another?

Old 24-08-2020, 09:31 PM   #5679
ute83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just putting it out there, does anybody know if it's financially beneficial to label covid the cause of death? I have been hearing some disturbing stuff lately.
Old 24-08-2020, 09:39 PM   #5680
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute83 View Post
Just putting it out there, does anybody know if it's financially beneficial to label covid the cause of death? I have been hearing some disturbing stuff lately.
In the US, hospitals get subsidised if the death is listed as CV. This has been fact checked and it is true. What is not certain is the amount.

I have heard in Australia, the government will pay for your funeral if it is listed as CV. Apparently a caller on 3AW claimed that is what they were told. Can't verify if it is fact or not.
Old 24-08-2020, 09:40 PM   #5681
Mr_G6ET
Ford G6ET FG MkII

Quote:
...see if Covid is the big killer we're led to believe...
I am going to go out and say that the death rate for covid is more than past viruses (excluding the majors) The 'potential' effect sounds to be more than a normal virus (i suggest)
I am the last one that likes discipline, I have stories but some distancing seems appropriate for a bit.
We/You are in uncharted territory.
Agree we do more damage by drinking (i.e me) but we as westerners don't even know how to wear a mask, something that is normal practice in asian culture, they have suffered less statistically.
Its idiotic that we need to legislate the use of masks
Old 24-08-2020, 09:44 PM   #5682
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute83 View Post

There’s been a lot of internet babble out of the USA about hospitals being paid x amount of dollars for every death that’s attributed to covid.

So the claim is that money hungry administrators direct doctors to put the death down as covid in order to boost the income for the hospital.

Which then leads into the conspiracy theories about death rates being grossly inflated etc etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 24-08-2020, 09:46 PM   #5683
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

70 days
Old 24-08-2020, 09:50 PM   #5684
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
There’s been a lot of internet babble out of the USA about hospitals being paid x amount of dollars for every death that’s attributed to covid.

So the claim is that money hungry administrators direct doctors to put the death down as covid in order to boost the income for the hospital.

Which then leads into the conspiracy theories about death rates being grossly inflated etc etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah it sound like the Pizza Shop Conspiracy.

“The Claim is” 🤣

Good job 👍
Old 24-08-2020, 09:55 PM   #5685
Mr_G6ET
Ford G6ET FG MkII

Quote:
Shall we come back in 2025 a

Early look.
Old 24-08-2020, 11:02 PM   #5686
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Google is your friend....

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...us/3000638001/

Haven't been able to find the facts on Aus hospitals. Maybe someone should start a conspiracy so it'll trigger the fact checkers to investigate.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
Old 24-08-2020, 11:30 PM   #5687
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Unfortunately people have overinflated expectations of aged-care facilities.
For many years I was an auditor and consultant to the industry. I still have contacts and from what I can see things have not improved.

It wasn't that long ago we looked after every member of our families.
This included looking after our elderly parents.

We now lock them up in aged care cause we all lead "busy lives".

Strangers "caring" for your family in a profit motivated establishment will never end well.

Look after your own parents, look after your own kids yourself instead of bullcrap child care.....you will survive Covid a lot better...might cost you the annual Bali holiday and the fancy home theatre room (and smashed avocado)
3 users like this post:
Old 24-08-2020, 11:40 PM   #5688
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Look, the story with any potentially deadly virus is that it's always more likely to kill those that are "more vulnerable". But the fact remains that this Covid is nasty ****. It is killing people, and killing far more than would normally die, including from influenza.

Sure, in some places there MIGHT be some BS with reporting, perhaps because "Covid" cases get Emergency funding, but others don't. But I think you would find that if anything administrators of care facilities would prefer NOT to report that their facility was infected with Covid.
Just as I'm sure that in many countries people are simply dying before they can be tested.
Old 25-08-2020, 05:30 AM   #5689
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Higher payment for Covid Diagnosis is a fact in some USA Hospitals. IIRC it effects only those patients on Obamacare ... and maybe uninsured (Govt supported).

I can find some links if you are unable to 'search it up'

On it leading to conspiracy theories, my thought is this: If you pay someone to do something that is easy, then they likely will do it.

What do we do if a conspiracy theorist actually finds a conspiracy ... ?
Old 25-08-2020, 05:37 AM   #5690
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_G6ET View Post

Early look.
Total death. For example around 2.5 million people died in the US last year.
What is the likelihood of seeing a significant increase in deaths between the years 2018-2023 for the US... Maybe 2020 will spike, because it has prematurely claimed lives of some that were months off from death in the first place. The following two years will see a dip in total death numbers.
When this becomes apparent then people might start asking questions.
The ongoing social impact and mental health issues that will result from these lockdowns will make Covid look like a walk in the park.
Old 25-08-2020, 07:32 AM   #5691
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Check out the powers the government has under state of emergency/disaster

https://justiceconnect.org.au/resour...covid-19-work/
Old 25-08-2020, 07:42 AM   #5692
PhilT2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG View Post
Higher payment for Covid Diagnosis is a fact in some USA Hospitals. IIRC it effects only those patients on Obamacare ... and maybe uninsured (Govt supported).

I can find some links if you are unable to 'search it up'

On it leading to conspiracy theories, my thought is this: If you pay someone to do something that is easy, then they likely will do it.

What do we do if a conspiracy theorist actually finds a conspiracy ... ?
Makes sense to me that a hospital charges more for Covid treatment. Ordinary person with pneumonia doesn't need all the measures to prevent spread of infection that Covid patients do. These measures cost more and the hospital has to recover that somehow.
All govt payment plans get rorted, it's human nature. But all govts put plans in place to control it. I think parts of the US have a scheme where if you dob in rorters you get a percentage of the money recovered. Fight greed with greed.
I heard one story of an old guy in the US who left intensive care after a lengthy battle with Covid. At least he survived, but on his way out they handed him a bill for half a million dollars.
Old 25-08-2020, 07:51 AM   #5693
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo
70?!
I thought you liked them older.

Observatio Facta Rotae

3 users like this post:
Old 25-08-2020, 08:24 AM   #5694
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
I thought you liked them older.
It's a good deal if they throw in the other two 70's.

($/min
Old 25-08-2020, 08:32 AM   #5695
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
It wasn't that long ago we looked after every member of our families.
This included looking after our elderly parents.

We now lock them up in aged care cause we all lead "busy lives".

Look after your own parents
It's not an easy job particularly if they have dementia. It's not uncommon for aged care nurses to end up quite badly injured. I know of one nurse who had a dementia patient fall on her and she ended up with spinal and pelvis injuries, she wasn't able to work again, heck she's barely able to walk.

Have you seen people try and care for parents with dementia?

Old 25-08-2020, 08:52 AM   #5696
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I basically do it 24/7. Strength and the ability to function on not much sleep, are prerequisites. :/
Old 25-08-2020, 10:44 AM   #5697
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks like the point of contention on the State of Emergency extension is the length of time, rather than the actual content. At this stage looking unlikely to get through upper house.

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/v...25-p55oyo.html

So how are other states enforcing social distancing and limits on crowd gatherings without "State of Emergency" measures? Or are they still under "State of Emergency" but no one is crying about it? Or don't they even need "State of Emergency" to enforce the rules?
Old 25-08-2020, 10:47 AM   #5698
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilT2 View Post
Makes sense to me that a hospital charges more for Covid treatment. Ordinary person with pneumonia doesn't need all the measures to prevent spread of infection that Covid patients do. These measures cost more and the hospital has to recover that somehow.
All govt payment plans get rorted, it's human nature. But all govts put plans in place to control it. I think parts of the US have a scheme where if you dob in rorters you get a percentage of the money recovered. Fight greed with greed.
I heard one story of an old guy in the US who left intensive care after a lengthy battle with Covid. At least he survived, but on his way out they handed him a bill for half a million dollars.
https://www.marketwatch.com/amp/stor...ill-2020-06-16
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Old 25-08-2020, 11:47 AM   #5699
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

104 new cases for Australia and 15 deaths sees the CMR rise to 2.075% although active cases dropped to 4,796. NSW recorded 3 cases; Queensland & WA recorded 1 each with the balance in Victoria.

9 new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.307% and active cases rise to 123.

The UK had 972 new cases and (supposedly) 4 deaths yesterday for a CMR of 12.686% although we know they are now not counting their mortalities by the WHO guidelines.

Just under 33k new cases in the USA yesterday and 430 deaths sees CMR fall to 3.075% and active cases remain at 43.0% with the raw numbers rising again. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points:
Spain completes 8M tests;
Albania (178) and Argentina (8,743) were the only two countries to record new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 25-08-2020, 11:53 AM   #5700
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

This is an interesting study

Quote:
T cell reactivity against SARS-CoV-2 was observed in unexposed people; however, the source and clinical relevance of the reactivity remains unknown. It is speculated that this reflects T cell memory to circulating ‘common cold’ coronaviruses. It will be important to define specificities of these T cells and assess their association with COVID-19 disease severity and vaccine responses.
https://imb.uq.edu.au/article/2020/0...hting-covid-19

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41577-020-0389-z
Closed Thread