Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 23-07-2020, 12:00 PM   #4471
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Re: Covid 19 -

Interesting episode à maison this morning, new personal care service starting for my father as I look to ramp up the “hands on” care. Brothers had agreed with me that a woman was preferred for showering and general personal hygiene. When she arrived, it was the same chick who’d been previously here as a cleaner two years ago!

The relevance? Working legitimately on a visa, no PR, no single employer, no fixed workplaces. A perfect candidate for contracting and then spreading coronavirus. I wasn’t annoyed, more dismayed for this woman’s sake. If she gets sick, she’s just discarded, and potentially on the next plane home.

You’d think that it might be sensible to lock in your health and aged care workforce so far as possible. Fixed places of work, confirmed residency, ideally one employer. Better than running a sickness lottery.
Old 23-07-2020, 12:03 PM   #4472
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed View Post
Russell could you define "CMR" there seems to be so many different ways of expressing these numbers it's starting to hurt my head.

I'm sure you did make mention of it earlier in the thread but at ~150 pages... you know.
Case mortality rate. Deaths vs infections.
Old 23-07-2020, 12:10 PM   #4473
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

466 new cases for Australia and 2 deaths so CMR drops to 0.993% and active cases rise to 4,221. NSW recorded 16 and the balance were in Victoria except for 1 in SA.

No new case and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.415% and active cases remain at 27.

The UK recorded 560 new cases and 79 deaths yesterday so the CMR drops to 15.352%.

Just over 67k new cases in the USA yesterday and 1,119 deaths sees CMR down to 3.598% and active cases at 49.6% with the raw numbers still rising and passing the 2M mark. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points:
Global cases set a new daily high of 261,894 (a rise of 5%) and that will go higher when all the numbers are in;
The USA completes 50M and Germany 7M tests;
North America and Europe both pass 200K deaths;
Asia sets a new high for daily cases with 72,660;
South America sets a new high for daily cases with 76,992;

El Salvador (393), Venezuela (443), Israel (2,043), Argentina (5,782), India (45,599) and Brazil (60,982) all recorded new daily highs, those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 23-07-2020, 12:16 PM   #4474
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Was about to post saying that with attitudes like the below, it's no wonder the authorities are having trouble keeping things under control once a hot spot appears.

I just don't get it....

More than 200 people supposed to be under self-quarantine in Queensland have vanished, with most suspected of giving false contact details at the border.

Just another example of how today's society doesn't respect authority.
People look at the statistics, 99.7% survival rate. And then wonder why bother. That's why.

That, and covid fatigue. People are just over it and are willing to take their chances.

Don't shoot the messenger.

But people who are confirmed to have it, and then don't isolate, and willingly spread it around are scumbags.
3 users like this post:
Old 23-07-2020, 12:26 PM   #4475
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
People look at the statistics, 99.7% survival rate. And then wonder why bother. That's why.

That, and covid fatigue. People are just over it and are willing to take their chances.

Don't shoot the messenger.

But people who are confirmed to have it, and then don't isolate, and willingly spread it around are scumbags.
So, any of those reasons make it ok to blatantly lie to an authority just so that you can do whatever you feel like whilst the authorities are trying to control an epidemic?

I must have been raised with a different morale compass than some.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
3 users like this post:
Old 23-07-2020, 12:39 PM   #4476
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Case mortality rate. Deaths vs infections.
Thanks prydey.

Death Vs Total Infections or Resolved Infections?
Old 23-07-2020, 12:57 PM   #4477
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Russ, do you have a graph showing the fatality trend from the start? I believe the fatalities normally follow about 4-6 weeks behind the infection rate. Probably too early to tell if the deaths will follow the same initial trend.
Not sure if this really shows what we are trying to see. It's the logarithmic case and mortality trends and 5 day moving average. You can see the case and mortality spikes being roughly mirrored with an approximately two-week shift in the spikes.

Observatio Facta Rotae

This user likes this post:
Old 23-07-2020, 01:11 PM   #4478
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed View Post
Thanks prydey.

Death Vs Total Infections or Resolved Infections?
It's deaths vs identified infections.

As I said earlier, it's a bit misleading really because the more testing you do (and therefore the more cases you identify) the lower the CMR is likely to be.

It's probably only directly comparable between countries that have tested similar percentages of their population but in the absence of any other measure, it's as good as any.

We are a case in point. Back in the early days of the pandemic our CMR was as high as 3.84% based on the fact that we'd done very little testing and only had the severe cases. We've now done a lot of testing (20% of the adult population) and the CMR is down to below 1%. Interestingly, the USA has tested a similar percentage of their adult population (24%) but their CMR is still almost 3.6% and the UK has tested 26.5% for a CMR that is still above 15%.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 23-07-2020, 01:20 PM   #4479
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks Russell.
Old 23-07-2020, 01:28 PM   #4480
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

That also raises another interesting point about Australia. We have been doing a lot of testing recently but we still have one of the highest test:case ratio in the world.

We test 282 people for every positive case (only NZ with 287 is higher) with the UK next highest at 46 and the USA at 12. The global average is 24.

There are a couple of other countries with higher ratios but they have generally done little testing or have very few cases.

It does probably highlight the inaccuracy of the Chinese numbers as they have only tested 6.5% of the population but have supposedly conducted over 1,000 tests per identified case.

Observatio Facta Rotae

2 users like this post:
Old 23-07-2020, 01:45 PM   #4481
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That suggests to me that the lower countries are only testing sick people where we are testing wider band.

Overwhelmed & Surrender VS Search & Isolate.
Old 23-07-2020, 02:00 PM   #4482
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
So, any of those reasons make it ok to blatantly lie to an authority just so that you can do whatever you feel like whilst the authorities are trying to control an epidemic?

I must have been raised with a different morale compass than some.
Where did I say it was ok? Really have no idea how you managed to make that silly assumption from what I said

I just gave reasons why some people would no longer care. I didn't say anything about my own views.
2 users like this post:
Old 23-07-2020, 02:44 PM   #4483
.:4:.
Kicking back

I noticed a small sign at the counter of 7/11 when i was getting fuel in today, they sell masks but theyre behind the counter. If in need it saves lining up with potential desiesed rats at a chemist.
Old 23-07-2020, 03:50 PM   #4484
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
Not sure if this really shows what we are trying to see. It's the logarithmic case and mortality trends and 5 day moving average. You can see the case and mortality spikes being roughly mirrored with an approximately two-week shift in the spikes.

So there is some correlation...

In a couple of weeks I guess we'll start to hear of more deaths?
Old 23-07-2020, 04:30 PM   #4485
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

How you Mexicans going with your masks?

I had the horse mask on at work for a bit for some lols

I've got the reusable home made job going at the moment, it gets real moist though, I still keep it on while talking on the phone I just yell over the phone and they can hear me OK

No mask - no entry at work, haven't seen anyone without one so far today.

I noticed no one on ABC News this morning had a mask on?
2 users like this post:
Old 23-07-2020, 04:30 PM   #4486
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Quote:
So there is some correlation...

In a couple of weeks I guess we'll start to hear of more deaths?
Unfortunately, yes. Even at the present CMR of under 0.993%, the 4,085 new cases in the last 14 days will top out at some 40 deaths. In Victoria, we currently have 216 of the current 3,147 cases in hospital with 40 of those in ICU and 24 being ventilated but those numbers will probably climb for a couple more days before the deaths reduce them.

I've not seen any data on what the survival rate is for those admitted to ICU or being ventilated but I'd guess it's not all that great. Nationally, 6% of active cases are in hospital; 1.18% of active cases are in ICU and 0.71% of active cases are being intubated. Those ICU numbers are pretty close to the CMR which would support the view that the survival rate is low at best.

PS - I did find some early research that suggested the survival rate for intubated patients was 10% or less but more recent studies seem a bit more optimistic.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Last edited by russellw; 23-07-2020 at 04:39 PM.
Old 23-07-2020, 04:32 PM   #4487
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Unfortunately, yes. Even at the present CMR of under 0.993%, the 4,085 new cases in the last 14 days will top out at some 40 deaths. In Victoria, we currently have 216 of the current 3,147 cases in hospital with 40 of those in ICU and 24 being ventilated but those numbers will probably climb for a couple more days before the deaths reduce them.

I've not seen any data on what the survival rate is for those admitted to ICU or being ventilated but I'd guess it's not all that great. Nationally, 6% of active cases are in hospital; 1.18% of active cases are in ICU and 0.71% of active cases are being intubated. Those ICU numbers are pretty close to the CMR which would support the view that the survival rate is low at best.
Once you're on ventilation the survival rate is pretty low unfortunately.
Old 23-07-2020, 04:48 PM   #4488
PhilT2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
I've seen a figure of 50%, but that was for the UK early on in the pandemic. Although no "miracle cure" has been found, I would expect that doctors have learned something by now and survival rates should have improved lf only slightly.

Can't find a link but it was on one of John Campbell's youtube videos I think.
Old 23-07-2020, 05:25 PM   #4489
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Kick a Vic on steroids!

https://youtu.be/gTKiF58UZrQ 😂
7 users like this post:
Old 23-07-2020, 05:36 PM   #4490
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
Kick a Vic on steroids!

Love it.

Old 23-07-2020, 06:02 PM   #4491
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Mark Brandon "Chopper" Read born 17 November 1954 in;

MELBOURNE

Is there nothing we are not good at?
Old 23-07-2020, 06:28 PM   #4492
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
That has been the case for most other countries, Australia has done much better so far.

'Of 118 patients placed on mechanical ventilators, 78 per cent have survived'.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/best...14-p55byq.html
Old 23-07-2020, 07:02 PM   #4493
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Kick a Vic on steroids!

Gold. If that isn't a warning not to replace an industrial base with a festivals and dining services economy, I don't know what is lol
Old 23-07-2020, 07:12 PM   #4494
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Just heard on 7 news that 1 in 4 in intensive care are under the age of 50.

Apparently there are quite a number under the age of 30 in ICU who did not have any underlying health issues.

Anyone who still thinks this is an old person's issue needs to have a rethink.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
2 users like this post:
Old 23-07-2020, 07:26 PM   #4495
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
How you Mexicans going with your masks?

I had the horse mask on at work for a bit for some lols

I've got the reusable home made job going at the moment, it gets real moist though, I still keep it on while talking on the phone I just yell over the phone and they can hear me OK

No mask - no entry at work, haven't seen anyone without one so far today.

I noticed no one on ABC News this morning had a mask on?
They mentioned it 3 or 4 times thru the program, that they are not wearing masks so the hearing impaired can still read their lips........
Old 23-07-2020, 07:27 PM   #4496
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Daniel Andrews had a message for those people who don't quarantine after being tested - delivered through the AUSLAN interpreter.

6 users like this post:
Old 23-07-2020, 08:15 PM   #4497
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
They mentioned it 3 or 4 times thru the program, that they are not wearing masks so the hearing impaired can still read their lips........
Yeah that's why we have teletext/subtitles.

Same with 9 news tonight in Melbourne CBD tonight with their reporter being the only person on the street without a mask.
Old 24-07-2020, 01:51 AM   #4498
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It's deaths vs identified infections.

As I said earlier, it's a bit misleading really because the more testing you do (and therefore the more cases you identify) the lower the CMR is likely to be.

It's probably only directly comparable between countries that have tested similar percentages of their population but in the absence of any other measure, it's as good as any.

I have noticed in USA that CMR is no a really good comparitor between places, but can be good over time if things are stable, by things I mean the many subjectivities in the figures.
Did he die 'of' or 'with' test verified Covid ?
Did he die with symptoms like covid, but we never proved it ?

Did he get test verified 4 months ago and then 2weeks later test negative then die today ?
Did the 'for profit' hospital fudge the books to get more money ?
If say I am tested today and have it, then retest in 2w, still have it, then retest next day, still have it, the retest a week later and am clear - how many people am I, how many cases get recorded ?
2 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2020, 05:25 AM   #4499
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Interesting video regarding C19 and what it does to the body and a very promising treatment for C19.

https://youtu.be/wqDd7ixh184

Raises the question, do people actually die from C19? As it seems C19 interferes with the bodies immune system such that other virus get a hold i.e. influenza.
Old 24-07-2020, 08:47 AM   #4500
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Interesting video regarding C19 and what it does to the body and a very promising treatment for C19.

https://youtu.be/wqDd7ixh184

Raises the question, do people actually die from C19? As it seems C19 interferes with the bodies immune system such that other virus get a hold i.e. influenza.
Dr Campbell, (PhD, not MD), is a great communicator and spends most days in his retirement putting out these free YouTubes to inform the public.

Interestingly his free information may also persuade stock market investors....