Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 16-07-2020, 12:50 PM   #4261
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR Martin View Post
Any Australian who has died from covid probably received a TB vaccine when they were younger though.
Oh and Sweden vaccinated everyone born before 1974, yet they have had a high death rate.
Studies show that the BCG vaccine protects against serious TB disease for up to 15 years after vaccination.
Old 16-07-2020, 12:54 PM   #4262
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post
317 cases for Victoria in the last 24 hours.

Jackpot!

I think:

Victoria is destined for full lockdown.

NSW is still containing C19 (but it is getting worse).

Qld monitoring the situation and as a precaution will fully close its borders again.
2 users like this post:
Old 16-07-2020, 01:33 PM   #4263
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Hopefully they don't keep us all home in VIC.

You'll end up with me loitering around here much more, you'll all love bored Franco hanging around I'm sure
4 users like this post:
Old 16-07-2020, 02:03 PM   #4264
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U View Post
Masks is a simple issue, if you wish to wear one, do, if you don’t wish to wear one, don’t and neither side should be throwing shade at the other unless of course you are someone who is turning it into a political issue.

Those wearing the masks are protected, those who aren’t wearing a mask aren’t endangering those who do if they work.
I think it is that simple in most of Australia.

In the "hot spots" in Melbourne, people are being asked to wear a mask in situations where they can not social distance.

You can have Covid 19 and have no symptoms. People in crowded areas of hotspots not wearing masks could spread the virus among themselves and overload our health system.

I think the governments "advice" is wise.
Old 16-07-2020, 02:13 PM   #4265
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

One way for us to get to the other side of this, is hope that people who don't wear a mask because it's "submissive", catch COVID-19 and die.
The sooner the better for the rest of us.

Sorry Russellw.
Old 16-07-2020, 02:16 PM   #4266
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
You don't capture other body excretions, do you?
Prepare to be surprised as we head to our green new future:

https://phys.org/news/2008-07-cow-ba...thane-gas.html
Old 16-07-2020, 02:26 PM   #4267
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Statisticians are estimating that Vic will top out at 500 cases per day before seeing a decline. Meanwhile, us Vics just have to put up with the "kick a vic" mentality for another week or two. Hang in there....
2 users like this post:
Old 16-07-2020, 02:48 PM   #4268
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
One way for us to get to the other side of this, is hope that people who don't wear a mask because it's "submissive", catch COVID-19 and die.
The sooner the better for the rest of us.

Sorry Russellw.
Bit harsh, don't you think? I may not share the same view as others, and I may be dismayed at the approach they take in dealing with CV-19, but there's no way I'd wish them any harm, let alone death because of it.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
5 users like this post:
Old 16-07-2020, 02:53 PM   #4269
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Work Horse View Post
I think it is that simple in most of Australia.

In the "hot spots" in Melbourne, people are being asked to wear a mask in situations where they can not social distance.

You can have Covid 19 and have no symptoms. People in crowded areas of hotspots not wearing masks could spread the virus among themselves and overload our health system.

I think the governments "advice" is wise.
I don’t have issue with the governments advice when it comes to Melbourne and hot spots.

I went shopping yesterday (country Victoria) and I’d say 1/50 people had a mask on, those I saw with a mask on were from the categories of high levels of risk to the virus being elderly and/or obese, seems like a logical decision, but unless infection rates in my area change, I see no reason to wear a mask personally.
2 users like this post:
Old 16-07-2020, 03:09 PM   #4270
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
I don’t have issue with the governments advice when it comes to Melbourne and hot spots.

I went shopping yesterday (country Victoria) and I’d say 1/50 people had a mask on, those I saw with a mask on were from the categories of high levels of risk to the virus being elderly and/or obese, seems like a logical decision, but unless infection rates in my area change, I see no reason to wear a mask personally.
Yes I'm the same, except in Metro Melbourne in a suburb in the great city of Monash that has few infections..

I also wear PPE every working day and have done for decades. It has saved my; ears, eyes, lungs, fingers and toes that many times I feel I could withstand some people thinking I was politically inferior.
Old 16-07-2020, 03:17 PM   #4271
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

PPE is good. Wish I used the ear stuff at an earlier age with all the spinning and machine tools. That and being right up the front at Sonic Youth.
Old 16-07-2020, 03:20 PM   #4272
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
So wearing a mask whilst partaking in sexual activities with infected people would have saved Victoria?
from the heady days in March:

https://www.vice.com/en_in/article/x...rnhub-xhamster
Old 16-07-2020, 03:31 PM   #4273
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

The USA continues to cop a hammering. They have had a week of more than 60k cases per day, have more than 3.5M cases in total of which 1.6M are currently active and the mortality rate (MR) is around 66/100k adults.

Some States are doing it worse than others. New York continues to head the number of cases and deaths with almost 12% of all US cases and 23% of the total deaths despite only having 5.87% of the US population. They also have one of the highest CMRs at 7.55% as well as 167 deaths per 100k.

California moved up a spot into 2nd place but they only have 9.8% of cases and 5.3% of the deaths despite being 12% of the population and the CMR is only 2% while the MR is 18.5/100k.

Florida (home of the aged) jumped up 5 places to be 3rd worst. They have 8.4% of cases, 3.2% of deaths and 6.6% of the population and the CMR is a surprisingly low 1.5% while the MR is 20.6/100k.

Texas also jumped up two spots into 4th with 8.3% of cases, 2.6% of deaths and 8.9% of the population. CMR is 1.22% and MR 12.3/100k.

New Jersey improved three positions into 5th with 5% of cases; 11.2% of deaths but only 2.9% of the population. CMR is the second worst in the country at 8.62% and the 175.74/100k MR is the worst.

Illinois also dropped a couple of places into 6th. They have 4.4% of cases, 5.2% of deaths and 3.8% of the population. CMR is 4.6% and MR 57.2/100k.

Arizona is the biggest mover, up 11 places into 7th with 3.6% of cases, 1.7% of deaths and 2.2% of the population. CMR is 1.85% and MR 33/100k.

Georgia also moves up 3 spots to 8th with with 3.5% of cases, 2.2% of deaths and 3.2% of the population. CMR is 2.4% and MR 29/100k.

Massachusetts improves 4 places down to 9th with 3.1% of cases, 6.0% of deaths and 2.1% of the population. CMR is third worst at 7.45% and MR 119/100k.

Pennsylvania also improves two spots in 10th with 2.8% of cases, 5.0% of deaths and 3.9% of the population. CMR is 6.86% and MR 55/100k.

Outside the worst 10, a couple of others are noteworthy:

Connecticut with 1.3% of cases, 3.1% of deaths and 1.0% of the population. CMR is worst in the country at 9.19% and the MR of 123/100k, the second worst.

Montana with 0.06% of cases, 0.02% of deaths and 0.33% of the population. CMR is 1.62% but the MR of 3.1/100k is the lowest of the mainland states (Hawaii and Alaska are lower).

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 16-07-2020, 06:57 PM   #4274
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
Bit harsh, don't you think?
Nope. Not at all. These idiots think that people who wear a mask are inferior or submissive to some conspiracy theory. They're quite happy to not wear a mask, not social distance or not follow any other health advise, and by doing so, put the lives of many others in danger. So why should I give a f**k about their lives??

Quote:

I'm with you there. I don't think people of country VIC need to wear a mask when in public. You only have to look at the infection numbers by councils to see where the problem areas are.

The current advice (as far as I'm aware) is for people of metro Melbourne who are in a crowd and cannot social distance to wear a mask to reduce the chances of spreading COVIC-20. Pretty simple I would have thought. But not for some.
This user likes this post:
Old 16-07-2020, 09:08 PM   #4275
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I work in Brimbank council region, not many wearing masks, saw an old lady wearing a mask today at the servo and one of the couriers was but that was it.
Old 16-07-2020, 09:51 PM   #4276
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
I work in Brimbank council region, not many wearing masks, saw an old lady wearing a mask today at the servo and one of the couriers was but that was it.
Is it any surprise that this side of town has the most COVID infections? Brimbank Council has the 4th highest of all VIC.

Top 20 dimwit areas:
(as of 07:44 16/07/20)

For the full list see link below, page 3.

https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJrI...RjNGViOWYyOCJ9
Old 16-07-2020, 10:00 PM   #4277
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Is it any surprise that this side of town has the most COVID infections? Brimbank Council has the 4th highest of all VIC.

Top 20 dimwit areas:
(as of 07:44 16/07/20)

For the full list see link below, page 3.

https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJrI...RjNGViOWYyOCJ9
Take the top five and look at their demographics out of interest
Old 17-07-2020, 12:39 AM   #4278
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Job numbers are pretty grim when you consider the amount on JobKeeper payments. What happens when that gets cut?

We have the talking heads saying the stats are so small so why hold things back but they rarely include in their rants that perhaps they are that low because of the measures we have taken to keep those stats down. Complain about the debt we are getting into but won't live enough to pay any of it. Or don't want to wind back anything in the tax system either

Dead or ill people can't work or pay taxes by the way

Last edited by MITCHAY; 17-07-2020 at 12:44 AM.
2 users like this post:
Old 17-07-2020, 02:15 AM   #4279
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
People are still testing positive 2-3 weeks after initially testing positive. So the virus is either dormant and re-immerging weeks later, or people who have tested positive are being complacent after initial infection, and are getting re-infected....

Another possibility is the type of testing that is done.

I wish I could find the reference, but a month or more ago I read that some tests (< 3 days to result ?) only detect the presence of covid-19 bugs, not whether they are dead or alive (forgive the backyard science). If the sample is cultured for longer you eliminate these false positives.
3 users like this post:
Old 17-07-2020, 11:27 AM   #4280
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
Job numbers are pretty grim when you consider the amount on JobKeeper payments. What happens when that gets cut?

We have the talking heads saying the stats are so small so why hold things back but they rarely include in their rants that perhaps they are that low because of the measures we have taken to keep those stats down. Complain about the debt we are getting into but won't live enough to pay any of it. Or don't want to wind back anything in the tax system either

Dead or ill people can't work or pay taxes by the way
The idea is to keep printing more money until the system collapses. Keep pretending that the economy will survive and print more money. Spread more fear and more doubt and push society towards the government or higher for an answer.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 17-07-2020, 12:42 PM   #4281
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

323 new cases for Australia and 2 deaths so CMR drops to 1.045% and active cases rise to 2,662. WA recorded 3, NSW recorded 10 and SA 1 with the balance in Victoria which set a new daily high for new cases.

1 new case and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.421% and active cases rise to 27.

The UK recorded 641 new cases and 66 deaths yesterday so the CMR drops to 15.423%.

Just under 72k new cases in the USA yesterday and 1,001 deaths sees CMR down to 3.875% and active cases at 50.6% but the raw numbers are rising. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points:
The USA completes 45M, Russia 24M and Peru 2M tests;
The USA recorded more than 70k new cases;
India passes the 1M case milestone;
South America passes 3M cases;
Asia recorded a new daily high with 63,012 new cases;
North America
recorded a new daily high with 84,355 new cases;

Costa Rica (560), Algeria (584), Philippines (2,498), Argentina (4,236), Colombia (8,037) and India35,468 all recorded new daily highs, those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

Observatio Facta Rotae

2 users like this post:
Old 17-07-2020, 12:55 PM   #4282
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Take the top five and look at their demographics out of interest
Removing the city of Melbourne council out of the top 5, the rest is just a clusterf**k.

Obviously the Niqab and Burka doesn't work as effectively as a proper face mask.
2 users like this post:
Old 17-07-2020, 01:08 PM   #4283
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another 400 for Vic wow.

We were so close to having zero active cases here
2 users like this post:
Old 17-07-2020, 01:13 PM   #4284
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

428, and ABC ran a banner 'regional Victorians to wear masks outside' - did Govt say this or was that a media conflation of masks for when you can't get >1.5m in Stage 3 areas?

Regional testing centres being set up, and teams for contact tracing being established in the regions... there must be spread after the school holidays

Premier also told off people within the Stage 3 metro area doing 200km round trip to Mornington...
Old 17-07-2020, 01:19 PM   #4285
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

New Zealand be like...

Australian government laughed at NZ for choosing to go into full lockdown. Let's see, 76 days now without a single community transmission. And counting. They've been on level 1 restrictions since June 8th.

Look who's laughing now.

Scott Morrison said on 1st April: "Some organisations advocated much stronger measures. I said to be careful what you wish for, because we will have to live with it for at least six months."

Well 2 months later (not 6 months Mr PM), NZ is almost back to normal.
4 users like this post:
Old 17-07-2020, 01:24 PM   #4286
nstg8a

Quote:
New Zealand be like...

Australian government laughed at NZ for choosing to go into full lockdown. Let's see, 76 days now without a single community transmission. And counting. They've been on level 1 restrictions since June 8th.

Look who's laughing now.

Scott Morrison said on 1st April: "Some organisations advocated much stronger measures. I said to be careful what you wish for, because we will have to live with it for at least six months."

Nz has been extremely lucky that those quarantine debacles didn’t create a Victorian style outbreak...
it only takes one person to stuff it up, and with nz having virtually no restrictions it will spread faster and undetected until too late...

Too early to act smug.
Old 17-07-2020, 01:25 PM   #4287
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
For now. There's a long road ahead in this battle and if anything can be learnt from the situation in Victoria it is that it doesn't take much for things to get out of hand again very quickly.

Ever heard the saying "Don't count your chickens before they hatch"?

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
2 users like this post:
Old 17-07-2020, 01:46 PM   #4288
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
Ever heard the saying "Don't count your chickens before they hatch"?
Ever heard the saying 'Don't look a gift horse in the mouth'?

Scotty was advised to take much stronger measures. He chose to ignore the advice, and even said "Be careful what you wish for".

Scotty has f**ked up. Simples. And has now taken a back seat while Danny Boy takes the spotlight. MIA even. Only headline he has made lately is him waving a scarf at the footy.
Old 17-07-2020, 03:48 PM   #4289
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

$400M cash boost for foreign film investment from ScoMo.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 17-07-2020, 04:14 PM   #4290
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Ever heard the saying 'Don't look a gift horse in the mouth'?

Scotty was advised to take much stronger measures. He chose to ignore the advice, and even said "Be careful what you wish for".

Scotty has f**ked up. Simples. And has now taken a back seat while Danny Boy takes the spotlight. MIA even. Only headline he has made lately is him waving a scarf at the footy.
Ummm, last I looked Australia was bigger than Melbourne... the majority of Australia is doing pretty well.

What's the population of nz and how densely populated are the cities?

Bit like comparing apples and oranges.
Closed Thread