Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-04-2018, 10:27 AM   #31
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Default Re: Late Model Daily Driven SUV's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
I like Skoda, its basically a VW but if we were all buying on ethics I think we would be riding on bikes made of wood.

Mazda cant do much wrong at the moment.
Polyal, thats a given but I did say I prefer "not directly" give my coin over to VW/das auto.....despite them owning it

Yer Mazda, they have done the job last 10yrs.
Brazen, agree and more so as they say happy wife happy life but that doesn't last long as well lol......
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2018, 11:32 AM   #32
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No one has mentioned the RAV4! It's looks are... um... And its interior is... errr... And it is one of the biggest sellers... um....

As we do the snow trips quite a bit, I noticed so many of these haldex little AWD SUVs will be in 2wd up until the point where they detect slip, that's not very useful at all! You see the AWD ones fitting chains when only 2wds are required to. Very difficult to find full time AWD with Terry capability, petrol (see my story on the diesel freezing in the lines last winter) at around that Terry TX price. Suby would be the only one, they are 60/40 continuous split in CVT form.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:55 AM   #33
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
I like Skoda, its basically a VW ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by stazza
I test drove the VW Tiguan 132kw version, and it was a mid spec model.
You know what I did look at and REALLY liked, and is definitely very high on my list? A SKODA. Wow. What a surprise. A nice looking car too I reckon. But not only that, it gets most of the features of specced up VW's, but is a good $5-10k cheaper. The interior is really nice, also shares the drivetrain and suspension etc with the VW's...
I'm, a SKODA fanboy too

If the Kodiaq is too big the 5-seater Skoda Karoq is due for release soon.

It's closer in size to the Tiguan but not an near identical twin (different doors for example), it's perhaps slightly smaller again. The Karoq's closest VAG relative and not available in Oz unfortunately (as it looks the best and is the more sporty option) is the Seat Ateca.

3 users like this post:
Old 06-04-2018, 12:03 PM   #34
Dogz

If you test drove everything available & then compared specs & inclusions & then price you’d end up with a Kia. Best value for money when you consider economy & inclusions & they drive better than most of the other stuff available.
If you test drove a Forester or XV first they’d be off your list as soon as you drove anything else, unless you specifically wanted a Subaru & didn’t care that almost everything else is better.
I have a 2016 Kia Sorento Platinum. When I bought it I test drove everything available & unless I spent another $100k I couldn’t get anything as complete.
This car is now 18 months old with 60,000 km’s & i’m looking around for something to replace it with in 6 months but there is still nothing better available unless I spend a ****load more money. As good as this car is I couldn’t replace it with the same car again so may have to put off replacing it until something better comes along. The Ford Endura is a pretty good car but we’ll have to wait & see what the Aussie specs & pricing are like.
Dogz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-04-2018, 12:09 PM   #35
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Sprintey, go for your life re the Rav4.
IMO having tested a 2017 Cruiser with the fruit last Saturday - POS for the dollars asking.
This is toyota riding on their past imo, inflated pricing.
Don't get me wrong I have a SR5 4x4 for a daily - reliable all that crap but they are cheapish inside.
The Rav4 compared to a Mazda is chalk and cheese for eg.
Suspension was crap, doors feel like balsa opening closing, they are dreaming but good luck to those who buy them.
Agree re KIA, good product today, Mrs's no like Sorento too large still no like Sportage.

Wish that Karoq was around now to check out.
Old 06-04-2018, 01:03 PM   #36
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

There's a lot of distaste for the Forester and XV here. Im surprised. Is there any founded reason why?

Im genuinely interested as the XV 2.0iL or Premium Outback is a car im looking to buy in a month or 2. But am looking at all the positive and negative testimonials before I make a decision to walk into a dealership and test drive one.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2018, 01:27 PM   #37
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Despite the VW Group ownership, I still have a hard time separating the "branding" that Skoda conjures up in my memory - I witnessed enough of the abominations Skoda produced in the 70s (and even 80s) that somehow made their way on Aussie roads (albeit not for long). They were absolute piles of crap. Not too dissimilar to the Lada hatchbacks in the late 80s....

They may be VW under the skin, but they should have come up with a new name to disassociate the past.

commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 06-04-2018, 05:08 PM   #38
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

ROFL, yep I recall them as well but my how times have changed.
I even like that wagon they brought out recently.

OK, I'm done regards the wife's new ride.
I can't believe it but I've gone that useless looking front face being a CX5 Maxx Sport Feb/18 build Machine Grey but I'm happy its Jap and should serve her well for some years to come.
Got fleet good enough deal with mats/cargo mat and tint.
There is a face lift due out in 3mths or so so anyone keen buying get a deal on current stocks.
She'll be happy not my car to drive.
Get it end of next week I expect.
2 users like this post:
Old 06-04-2018, 05:23 PM   #39
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post

I can't believe it but I've gone that useless looking front face being a CX5 Maxx Sport Feb/18 build Machine Grey but I'm happy its Jap and should serve her well for some years to come.
There is a face lift due out in 3mths or so so anyone keen buying get a deal on current stocks.
Congratulations, great car. I think there is a mild update, but no facelift. I think the Akera trim is getting 360 degree cameras and the Touring a better heads up display. So I dont think you will see any changes for your Maxx Sport.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2018, 06:03 PM   #40
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBSXR6 View Post
My sister had a Tiguan it was a lemon. Spent that much time off the road it was ridiculous.
That makes four I know of. Some were V8s & some were 6's but they were all riddled with issues & cost a bomb to repair.
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2018, 07:05 PM   #41
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Mate you won't go wrong with that choice. They're a top seller because they're a very good car.

And Momma is happy - win/win!
ozpacman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2018, 07:34 PM   #42
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorenutt View Post
Despite the VW Group ownership, I still have a hard time separating the "branding" that Skoda conjures up in my memory - I witnessed enough of the abominations Skoda produced in the 70s (and even 80s) that somehow made their way on Aussie roads (albeit not for long). They were absolute piles of crap. Not too dissimilar to the Lada hatchbacks in the late 80s....
Yep, as well as the Lada the Trabant comes to mind as well
Old 06-04-2018, 07:39 PM   #43
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Nice choice, they a damn good car and the interiors are a nice place to be... Hopefully you went for the AWD version with the 2.5 litre rather than the 2WD with the 2 litre...

Hers: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
Hers on Order: MY24 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
His Daily: 2023 Hyundai Tuscon Elite N-Line in Crimson Red
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-04-2018, 07:40 PM   #44
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:

They may be VW under the skin, but they should have come up with a new name to disassociate the past.

Reminds me of Ford and the EA Falcon.

The Skoda Superb is pretty good though.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2018, 07:43 PM   #45
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostercam View Post
That makes four I know of. Some were V8s & some were 6's but they were all riddled with issues & cost a bomb to repair.
Ah, so not a Tiguan at all then

Your thinking of a Touareg, totally different car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
There's a lot of distaste for the Forester and XV here. Im surprised. Is there any founded reason why?
Not from me. I'm a Suby enthusiast too, though fear they may have lost their mojo. Seem to be less and less interested in performance (turbo) and more and more interested in things like CVT (yuck),

They need to turn out more cars closer to their concepts, they're hot.

Last edited by Raptor; 06-04-2018 at 08:04 PM.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2018, 07:54 PM   #46
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Thanks fellas.
I know its a sound buy for I've got my sister into a mazda 6 when first came out and then her update was the previous model Maz3 SP so I don't mind them but this current front does look pretty bland/soft and they all look the same now.
Like I said, women's choice/her car so we all learn in time look after them and we get something back lol hopefully.
Yes mate AWD.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:03 PM   #47
SSVPom
Formally FairmontPom

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post

Im genuinely interested as the XV 2.0iL or Premium Outback is a car im looking to buy in a month or 2. But am looking at all the positive and negative testimonials before I make a decision to walk into a dealership and test drive one.
The non-Turbo motors lack torque, and obviously the turbo punch of other brands, and the CVT gearboxes do not stand up against the competition.. plus servicing intervals and costs are higher than others in the same market. Points worth considering, however the build quality and AWD security are major plus points though.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:25 PM   #48
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
No one has mentioned the RAV4! It's looks are... um... And its interior is... errr... And it is one of the biggest sellers... um....

As we do the snow trips quite a bit, I noticed so many of these haldex little AWD SUVs will be in 2wd up until the point where they detect slip, that's not very useful at all! You see the AWD ones fitting chains when only 2wds are required to. Very difficult to find full time AWD with Terry capability, petrol (see my story on the diesel freezing in the lines last winter) at around that Terry TX price. Suby would be the only one, they are 60/40 continuous split in CVT form.

RAV4.jpg

That will change soon.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2018, 09:27 PM   #49
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah my next car is looking likely to be the next gen RAV4 Hybrid. Not here till next year though
Old 06-04-2018, 11:08 PM   #50
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nice choice FTE, you get a real gearbox in that product too.

& yep I saw the forthcoming RAV, in hybrid form it should be a great product.
Toyota must have paid the ransom to whomever kidnapped their stylists. Honda and Suby are still holding out.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:09 PM   #51
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=Raptor;6113673]Ah, so not a Tiguan at all then

Your thinking of a Touareg, totally different car.

Beg yours, not a VW fan. My wifes relos have one though & thats a disaster. Does that count
Old 06-04-2018, 11:14 PM   #52
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSVPom View Post
The non-Turbo motors lack torque, and obviously the turbo punch of other brands, and the CVT gearboxes do not stand up against the competition.. plus servicing intervals and costs are higher than others in the same market. Points worth considering, however the build quality and AWD security are major plus points though.
Sure they aren't rockets and there are other cars out there that will beat them in a straight line as well as towing etc. But for a bit of mild off roading and the like, they are pretty good in comparison. The reviews say the eyesight tech is very good also but can be a little intrusive. CVT isnt necessarily my cup of tea either, but I did read the new generation CVT's in the Subies act a bit more like the conventional auto's. Just don't get one if you plan to tow is the bottom line. The XV now as 12month scheduled servicing I read?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor
Not from me. I'm a Suby enthusiast too, though fear they may have lost their mojo. Seem to be less and less interested in performance (turbo) and more and more interested in things like CVT (yuck),

They need to turn out more cars closer to their concepts, they're hot.

True, they are doing what everyone else is doing though in terms of sales. That said, if you want performance, they are still doing decent in the WRX line up.

I still have my 07 Liberty GT which has some work done and that isnt going anywhere. It will just be my track/weekend car where as the XV will do some of the duties I prefer the liberty not to do, like camping, dirt roads, and pretty much anything non tarmac related. I don't plan on going full on 4x4ing so that doesnt concern me. The XV will just be a fun little daily I can see myself getting used to that will be capable of getting places. I prefer to stick with Subaru due to knowing what the quality is like.

I do wish all car manufacturers would just build the exact concept car they put on show. How good will that be?!?!

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 06-04-2018, 11:26 PM   #53
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Did Suby place a torque converter on their CVT?

Its a shame they dont offer a normal TC auto, there are many people posting comments in their reviews to this effect. Why do they persevere with CVT?

Had previous gen manual XV for a short while and it was zippy enough around town. 50/50 split AWD on those.

Also, no one has mentioned the Grand Vitara, that is a properly capable setup with low range and TC auto and Suzuki reliability.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:44 PM   #54
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:

Its a shame they dont offer a normal TC auto, there are many people posting comments in their reviews to this effect. Why do they persevere with CVT?

Had previous gen manual XV for a short while and it was zippy enough around town. 50/50 split AWD on those.

Also, no one has mentioned the Grand Vitara, that is a properly capable setup with low range and TC auto and Suzuki reliability.
No TC on the CVT I don't believe. Not sure why they persist with the CVT either. It seems to hamper they tow capacity of the Subies throughout the range which is a shame. The competition does better if you want to tow. Lucky for me, if I want to tow it will literally be a small trailer to the dump or to pick up some furniture. Forget towing a caravan. Camper trailer if you have the Diesel or 3.6R outback but nothing more. Plus the subies are rated at 80kph MAX towing speed due to the limiting factor of the CVT.

Like you say though, 50/50 split in the AWD for better traction and adequate power for general things. But not much more if you are wanting it.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 06-04-2018, 11:45 PM   #55
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

My wife likes the XV. Keeping in mind she would spec the 6 sp auto, how did you find it?
Old 06-04-2018, 11:51 PM   #56
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

I bought my wife a Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD. It has the blind spot monitoring, HUD, which uses a traffic sign recognition system to spot speed signs to display the speed limit beside your current speed, collision avoidance, the headlights adjust their brightness somehow (I'm yet to learn about that). And yes, the cruise control downshifts to stick to the limit going downhill.

I let her pick what she wanted, because she let me trade her Impreza in to buy my FG/X XR6T ute. But the Mazda is great to drive, I'm around 6ft, but with a slightly longer torso to leg ratio, and I can get comfy in it. I'd prefer it turbo charged, though.

The missus loves it, it is the latest model, with sleeker lights front and rear.

2016 Ford Falcon FG/X XR6 Turbo you beaut ute
1985 XR4Ti Sierra - Build Thread
1971 Fairlane 500
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them
Captain Stubing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 07-04-2018, 12:00 AM   #57
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostercam View Post
My wife likes the XV. Keeping in mind she would spec the 6 sp auto, how did you find it?
It was 2015 model, previous body shape, manual in that light metallic green.
Liked: size in town, motor response (everyone says it hasn't got guts, I found it responsive and it had reserve getting up to road speed. Shifter was light. Rear camera was good. Parking easy. Colour nice. Interior a step up from previous body Forester.
Disliked: engine stop start was annoying. Clutch in, engaged it. I reckon it would chew through batteries over time. Handling, a bit nose heavy, understeery feeling compared to the AWD Terry.
Overall quite enjoyable. No manual option anymore.

& CVT auto only.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:08 AM   #58
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
Yeah my next car is looking likely to be the next gen RAV4 Hybrid. Not here till next year though
Will that run the driveline from the Lexus NX300h?
The turbo 2L in the NX300 is not a bad unit either.

The Rav4 has really been left behind - it's like Toyota have rested on their laurels for too long. Even the climate control display looks like 1995..... It will need wholesale changes to attract new buyers. The only people I know who own late-model Rav4s previously had Rav4s, and are Toyota fans, who didn't objectively sample the competition. Much like Corolla & Camry buyers....
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2018, 12:21 AM   #59
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Making me feel alright Swanny !
Same colour as I bought today and same gizmo's on the Maxx sport by the sound of it.
I'm actually blown how much tech is in these things for the price bracket.
Hey compared to my FGX this thing is Nasa stuff lol.....

That Rav 4 hybrid can't come soon enough - I drove tested the Cruiser last weekend, it was rubbish and I mentioned to the wife the dash was pathetic, retro like.
So old looking and small screen.
Can't believe people buy them for the rip off dollars they ask.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:23 AM   #60
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Will that run the driveline from the Lexus NX300h? .
I believe it’s their new gen Hybrid drivetrain from the just released Camry. The electric motors power the rear wheels. Will have loads of grunt as I had the less powerful previous gen Camry Hybrid and it had the great shove of torque straight from 0rpm. In the new Camry it has 160kw with official fuel consumption of 4.2L per 100km. Should be a ripper powertrain.

Toyota has really put in a lot of effort to improve its off road capability, so it has more ground clearance and a dial to now lock into 4wd rather than waiting on the front wheels to slip.

Probably over a year away and will be expensive I gather.