Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 09-01-2023, 05:56 PM   #2041
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Re: Mowing ..

Is it just me, or are older ride-on mowers getting a bit cheaper the last few months?

Unrelated to mowing, but equally tending to catastrophe: https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/1306619112 Any comments on relative value of this?

Last edited by Citroënbender; 09-01-2023 at 06:01 PM.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2023, 06:18 PM   #2042
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Unrelated to mowing, but equally tending to catastrophe: https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/1306619112 Any comments on relative value of this?
Considering a dedicated pole saw from Echo starts at $1679 and a power head not including attachments is $799, I guess $350 is pretty good price, especially considering the newness of the machine. Unlike a lot of the big brands, Echo are made in Japan rather than China.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-01-2023, 06:25 PM   #2043
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Thanks - I was waiting to hear they were being counterfeited, or were horrible to use, or otherwise undesirable.
Old 09-01-2023, 06:28 PM   #2044
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Thanks - I was waiting to hear they were being counterfeited, or were horrible to use, or otherwise undesirable.
I have not had a lot to do with Echo products, so I can't comment on it being a counterfeit. That said, I don't see the exact same model on their website, it may be an older design though.

https://www.echo-australia.com.au/en...achment-series

https://www.echo-australia.com.au/en.../power-pruners
Mustang GT

Old 09-01-2023, 06:45 PM   #2045
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Have pinged the chap to ask what model ID - will be interesting to see how it unravels.
Old 09-01-2023, 06:49 PM   #2046
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Have pinged the chap to ask what model ID - will be interesting to see how it unravels.
Let me know, I can't read the model number on the front of the unit in the pics.
Mustang GT

Old 10-01-2023, 10:20 PM   #2047
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

Probably stolen...
2000 Ford Falcon Wagon Egas
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
janddbone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2023, 10:55 PM   #2048
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I don’t think it was. The seller was a very straight character, living in a tidy house in a small street. If there had been pressure to come and see it, make an offer etc, or a weird meeting place then maybe.

$300 and I took it home, it’s a 265ES power head, one or two models back. Starts readily and everything points to light domestic use only.
3 users like this post:
Old 11-01-2023, 09:45 AM   #2049
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

I must be feeling age now wandering in to a mowing thread with interest.

Recently moved in to our new house and had some turf laid so now it's becoming an obsession to keep it looking beautiful.

Only, I'm not that huge in to my tools so to speak.

Oh, and I'm dreading the arrival of my dog who has had to be at the in laws until our fences go up.
Old 11-01-2023, 10:05 AM   #2050
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

What turf?
Old 11-01-2023, 10:58 AM   #2051
Poetic Justice

Buffalo
Old 11-01-2023, 02:36 PM   #2052
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

So clean, much wow. That’s the outward side of the air filter element! Seems it got caught in a coastal shower during the last week - oxidisation is light and recent. Bar wear is negligible. Has been sold (assembled) by Taylors of Adamstown - stickers everywhere.

A couple of measurements from bar nose to throttle grip. With the “pole” part, it looks like the long and short sections might be interchangeable - IOW I could possibly fit the saw head on the shorter section for a reduced “standard length”. Any thoughts?

2 users like this post:
Old 11-01-2023, 03:01 PM   #2053
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetic Justice View Post
I must be feeling age now wandering in to a mowing thread with interest.

Recently moved in to our new house and had some turf laid so now it's becoming an obsession to keep it looking beautiful.

Only, I'm not that huge in to my tools so to speak.

Oh, and I'm dreading the arrival of my dog who has had to be at the in laws until our fences go up.
Let their lawn be your new dogs learning pad
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2023, 03:02 PM   #2054
Poetic Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
Let their lawn be your new dogs learning pad
Haha no, she's a 5yo just in between because we can't fence here.

I just need to be more dilligent with hosing each day
Old 11-01-2023, 09:54 PM   #2055
.:4:.
Kicking back

So mind you this has taken a while. As in probably 18 months of being semi proactive. I used to do my grass only when it was long and needed to be done. So yeah, grass done but was always yellow and just more effort then necessary.
So ive been more proactive about it for a while. Whilst i mow more frequently, its when the grass isnt a pain to do. Typically its no catcher.
Cannot complain about my mower.
Dunno what brand my grass is, its deffinately not buffalo or cooch. Maybe kik. Big blades that are soft, im no grass guy. Its getting close. I still call it grass but its not too far off the status of being called a lawn.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-01-2023, 12:53 AM   #2056
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
So mind you this has taken a while. As in probably 18 months of being semi proactive. I used to do my grass only when it was long and needed to be done. So yeah, grass done but was always yellow and just more effort then necessary.
So ive been more proactive about it for a while. Whilst i mow more frequently, its when the grass isnt a pain to do. Typically its no catcher.
Cannot complain about my mower.
Dunno what brand my grass is, its deffinately not buffalo or cooch. Maybe kik. Big blades that are soft, im no grass guy. Its getting close. I still call it grass but its not too far off the status of being called a lawn.
Ahh, very good grasshopper! Cut small amounts off frequently, also works for hedges and topiary. Now if I can get some potential clients to understand this-
“Just come once a quarter and tidy it all up” Err ok thx bye.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 12-01-2023, 09:49 AM   #2057
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

blatantly copied

Couple of weeks ago I drove home and my neighbor was sat outside his house, seemingly perfectly happy enjoying the pleasant evening air.

I thought - "I'll get the bastard". Now, I do quite like my neighbor but I don't let trivialities like that stop me.

So I though I'll get the ride-on mower out and drive around a bit on full throttle, that'll upset him.

Then I figured that might not be noisy enough. So I thought I'll get the 2 stoke blower out and wander around with that.

But then I had a genius idea.

Why don't I use the blower whilst riding around on the mower ? Both on full throttle, maximum noise across all wave lengths. Ain't nobody going to not be ****ed at that.

Anyways, it was brilliant idea until the blower shoulder strap got caught around the front wheel, the mower got swung violently to the right, I sprained my wrist trying to hold on to the steering wheel and I crashed into the Jacaranda tree, smashing my forehead on a low branch. Now the blower has a snapped handle, the mower a flat tyre, I've a big bump on my head and my wrist still hurts.

I blame my neighbor for the whole predicament.
Old 12-01-2023, 03:52 PM   #2058
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
blatantly copied

Couple of weeks ago I drove home and my neighbor was sat outside his house, seemingly perfectly happy enjoying the pleasant evening air.

I thought - "I'll get the bastard". Now, I do quite like my neighbor but I don't let trivialities like that stop me.

So I though I'll get the ride-on mower out and drive around a bit on full throttle, that'll upset him.

Then I figured that might not be noisy enough. So I thought I'll get the 2 stoke blower out and wander around with that.

Why don't I use the blower whilst riding around on the mower ? Both on full throttle, maximum noise across all wave lengths. Ain't nobody going to not be ****ed at that.

Anyways, it was brilliant idea until the blower shoulder strap got caught around the front wheel, the mower got swung violently to the right, I sprained my wrist trying to hold on to the steering wheel and I crashed into the Jacaranda tree, smashing my forehead on a low branch. Now the blower has a snapped handle, the mower a flat tyre, I've a big bump on my head and my wrist still hurts.

I’m tipping you’re a South Australian, am I right ?
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2023, 03:56 PM   #2059
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1 View Post
I’m tipping you’re a South Australian, am I right ?
Seeing as it says Pt Lincoln South Oz under his name you could be right
Old 12-01-2023, 05:15 PM   #2060
Vekgib

Quote:
blatantly copied

Did the neighbour laugh ?

Stuff this,I'm going to play a few shots & see what happens.
Vekgib is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2023, 06:51 PM   #2061
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
blatantly copied

fair go dont you guys read. and besides my nearest neighbour is above 300M from our place, get up in the morning, go outside and let rip a beautiful fart and only the chooks get annoyed.
Old 12-01-2023, 10:37 PM   #2062
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Back to mowing the grass !
DFB recommended and FTE217 test pilot.
2nd cuts taken on tonight.
What joy - I’m using a rolls Royce of mowers as far as I’m concerned, Victa and grand ol briggsy 4stroker you just can’t go wrong !
Push down throttle to near full pull cord we have lift off first go !
The self drive is peach i took way too long spoiling myself even the handbrake said so.
Nothing like before and after views

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2023, 10:42 PM   #2063
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
Back to mowing the grass !
DFB recommended and FTE217 test pilot.
2nd cuts taken on tonight.
What joy - I’m using a rolls Royce of mowers as far as I’m concerned, Victa and grand ol briggsy 4stroker you just can’t go wrong !
Push down throttle to near full pull cord we have lift off first go !
The self drive is peach i took way too long spoiling myself even the handbrake said so.
Nothing like before and after views

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bloody brilliant!

But the big question is, have you waxed the Rolls Royse yet?

Mustang GT

4 users like this post:
Old 13-01-2023, 03:25 PM   #2064
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

haha DFB your OTT and all of us luv your attention to detail but but.......
No way am I going to detail the rolls royce of surburbian mowers.
Got to say its the first one I am actually getting the blower out and give a quick blow clean nothing more nothing less
I will also be pushing the boundaries ever using the hose connector mounted on the body to wash the under body
Hope you sleep tonight reading this lol.......but always keep in mind whenever FTE217 gets out his mighty Victa rolls royce ont eh job I have a smile on my face thanks to you !

By the way recalling I ended up giving in buying the Ryobi long extension hedge trimmer opting the battery version due to having the large Ryobi blower and a couple of back up batteries.
As I mentioned I also found it had put on a couple of kilos from the previous cord one it replaced.
It just DOESN'T cut it - I've used it twice and its confirmed for me battery power just doesn't have the power I need for my jobs.
I'm not cutting over sized stems might I add, 6'-8' high mereya hedges, now you know those stems are not that thick, especially re cutting from previous growth, you need to go over the cuts 5/6 times thats not good enough for me.
I'll be taking it back to Bunnings expressing my dis satisfaction and refund or look what else they have on offer to replace in PETROL !
F the battery route when you have a decent size garden to work on but the blower thoigh I do have a Ryobi ICE just in case
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"

Last edited by FTE217; 13-01-2023 at 03:33 PM.
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 13-01-2023, 03:29 PM   #2065
Poetic Justice

I haven't read 69 pages of this thread, of course.. but has anyone had much luck doing lawn stripes? I kind of want to have a crack at it
Old 13-01-2023, 03:58 PM   #2066
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
I haven't read 69 pages of this thread, of course.. but has anyone had much luck doing lawn stripes? I kind of want to have a crack at it
You could ask Gaso, he was complaining about his mower making them somewhere in these pages.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2023, 06:59 PM   #2067
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
You will likely need a cylinder mower or something like Masport's Rotarola for that sort of thing.

https://masport.com.au/category/outd...ylinder-mowers

https://masport.com.au/outdoor-garde...la-al-s18-sp-2

Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 13-01-2023, 07:08 PM   #2068
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
You could ask Gaso, he was complaining about his mower making them somewhere in these pages.
Wrong stripes, I think PJ means this type.... I've posted this pic before, it's my car detailers lawn.

Old 13-01-2023, 08:47 PM   #2069
Poetic Justice

Close enough lol!
Old 13-01-2023, 11:10 PM   #2070
Rallye Sport
RS The Faster Fords

Yes you're going to need a mower with a roller. It can be done with a rotary but the lines won't be a pronounced.

The idea is that the roller folds the leaf over, as the light reflects from the leaf it gives the illusion of light and dark stripes. Light as the grass is folded away from you and dark towards you.

If you hit the same lines time after time you'll end up ironing in a permanent grain magnifying the effect. We try not to do this in sports turf as it causes fast and slow spots in the playing surface.
Double or triple cutting can also help make the lines pop.
As for patterns, thats up to you're imagination and at the end of the day its only lawn, it'll grow back.
FG XR50 Daily.
Rallye Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post: