Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 08-02-2015, 02:37 PM   #31
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Default Re: Work at Manildra site suspended after CFMEU alleges 457 visa abuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
What utilities does a Government own to put apprentices on in?
Army, Navy, Air Force, Public transport sector all states.
Old 08-02-2015, 03:15 PM   #32
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Nowadays yeah (What utilities does a Government own to put apprentices on in?) but nothing compared to what it used to be, how many apprenticeships are there around now compared to 30 years ago and how many kids are fighting it out for the little that there are on offer.

Compare available apprenticeships vs companies looking for qualified tradesmen or companies looking for "3rd/4th year apprentice", they want someone else to take the hit of having a essentially useless person then poach them when they start picking up the trade.

Or even in white collar roles "3-5 years experience required and X qualifications".
In 1983 I was in a mid year intake of apprenticeships for Mount Isa Mines. Do these large intakes not happen anymore?
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2015, 07:46 PM   #33
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
Is this not where most apprenticeships are done?
I wouldn't include apprenticeships as they're below the minumum wage. Almost better too it's $7 an hour to spin some bolts at the local ford dealership, in industries like that skill isn't really needed. Pay him $7 an hour and charge the customer $90+ an hour. It's like lego.

You vet your staff and hire serious driven people, you don't hire the pale druggy who will cost you 5k jacking a car up by its engine sump in a state of brain fog.. That's your own mistake and incompetence as a business owner. If you have no business sense combined with poor recruiting skills then you only have yourself to blame.

But yes most other trades they end up costing more in mistakes than a skilled worker! Things like paving, landscaping and bricklaying I imagine could be costly at first, infact I don't know how bricklaying is economical, if an apprentice lays a crooked wall they can't sell it, have to knock it down again. But they pay additional stafff to supervise the apprentice so that doesn't happen, making the apprentice kind've pointless. Guess that's why it's over $1 a brick lol. People who have a good eye/natural ability for bricklaying would be hard to find from day one I'd imagine, years of experience. But then again I'm sure I could do it perfectly straight if I wasn't rushed ;)