Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 31-03-2005, 08:45 PM   #1
b2tf
not here much anymore

Default b2tf is buying a Focus

well, 99% likely at this stage. Drove a CL with the safety pack today and i was very impressed, was an auto btw. Trans was very good, couldnt fault it, no harsh shifts and was very easy to drive with.

Sincere apologies for yet another lot of questions, but just a few things i need answered:

* How good are the headlights? Im in a country area and do a lot of night driving, so they need to be pretty damn good. I'll most likely stick some upspec aftermarket bulbs in it after a while, if not straight away.

* Can the gearshifter on the auto trans (the stalk) be shortened? I dont like how its up so high, would prefer to shorten it a bit so the handle is closer to the floor, not sticking up as high as it is now.

* Can someone please post a pic of their interior at night? I like to know what lights up and what doesnt.

* Roughly what can i expect to pay for a K&N filter to fit it?

I think thats about it for now, i must say im very impressed with Foci overall and will hopefully be the proud owner of one by the end of April.
Old 31-03-2005, 08:54 PM   #2
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Headlights are great, potentially a little low on regular beam, however the foggies more than make up for it... the high beams are sensational at night, I can't fault them at all.

K&N look to pay anywhere from $70-$100 inclusive of GST.

Interior is greean and tasteful. No pics tho. Anyone?

Gearshifter hmmmm.... not sure.

They are an extremely smooth vehicle though. Make sure you snap up that safety pack, there are NOT many around AT ALL. Tim looked for one and I couldn't find one not long ago, and I'm the dude who finds them for Dealers!!!!!!! Definitely worth the catch.

Good luck!
Old 31-03-2005, 08:54 PM   #3
b2tf
not here much anymore

Ok i just answered one of my own questions - about $70 for the K&N, a lot better than $170 for the Falcons.

One other thing - anyone know how much the rear reversing lens is? I want to have 2 reverse lights at the back, so i'd need to change the lens and rewire it.

Yeah, thats why im acting on this one - the safety pack is a deinfite plus. Its an 02 model but it only has 30,000kms so that doesnt really matter to me. I'm very happy with it overall - Inke Blue is a pretty good colour so with the 17's it should look alright (before the mods start!).

Last edited by b2tf; 31-03-2005 at 08:56 PM.
b2tf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2005, 08:57 PM   #4
Magical_ED
FORDISMâ„¢

If you want an interior pic i may be able to whip out the ol camera and snap a pic of my mums interior *scoots off to get camera*
my mums got the SR, really nice car to drive, besides getting used to the indicators being on the wrong side its alright. Plus you can adjust the headlights up or down so its really good. AWESOME car all round and ive only ever driven two cars my falcon and my mums focus.
Old 31-03-2005, 09:02 PM   #5
b2tf
not here much anymore

If you could take that pic it'd be a big help, i really appreciate the offer anyway.

SR would have the same dash layout as CL anyway.

The indicators werent so much of a problem today because i knew to expect them to be on the other side. I just kept indicating left when i wanted to go right though! Ah well, will all get used to it over time i guess.
Old 31-03-2005, 09:09 PM   #6
Magical_ED
FORDISMâ„¢

Just got sofresh photos then here they are:

Instrument cluster

Climate thingy dodads

And last the whole lit up area

Last edited by Magical_ED; 31-03-2005 at 09:12 PM. Reason: picture too big
Magical_ED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2005, 09:11 PM   #7
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

I hate my headlights i need brighter globes in them thats for sure, they are just not good enough IMO

Dont know if the gear shift can be shortened or not, never had an auto one

Havent got any pics of my car inside at night only outside sorry, basically the dash will light up as well as the radio/console section there, if there are footwell lights they will light up as well when you open the doors

Filters are < $100 iirc

Chris
Old 31-03-2005, 09:11 PM   #8
b2tf
not here much anymore

Thanks heaps, thats a big help. Must say i would prefer white over green but it's not a big issue at all.Just one thing, does the headlight switch light up?

Down the track i would consider swapping the cluster for a Zetec/ST170 one anyway.
Old 31-03-2005, 09:13 PM   #9
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

in the brochure of my car the lights show as blue, i was annoyed they were green

the green is incredibly easy to read at night as well which is good, i have mine turned all the way down so its nice and dark in the car and can still see them ok

chris
Old 31-03-2005, 09:16 PM   #10
b2tf
not here much anymore

I guess it must show the Euro versions or something?
Old 31-03-2005, 10:21 PM   #11
dogbreath_48
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Both my parents drive Focus' (Focie?) and i reackon the headlights are pretty danm good for the standard set. BTW i drive a landcruiser with upgraded loom, 120W globes and big 100W spotties (see avatar). The focus doesn't match it but just to give some perspective on my experience! I reackon they'd be pretty nuts with better globes/relay's etc...

-Stu
dogbreath_48 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2005, 10:26 PM   #12
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

nope this is the euro version, so just the same cars

chris
Old 31-03-2005, 10:34 PM   #13
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Ive driven 2 Focus's, one being an SR manual for a while and the other being an LX Auto 2.0 Litre for a few weeks... I must say i was way more impressed by the feel of the Auto to drive apposed to the Manual as I thought the gearshifts were a little short and close (Compared to my mums 03 SP20), I sorta got lost between gears....

I would consider an Focus as a second car but it would have to have power windows and mirrors, they feel very direct and have a nice suspension setup (very close to the BA one). I found the headlights to be great without the foggies turned on as you can position them up or down from inside the cabin! :dj: Just make sure you keep your rear foglight off unless its either raining or foggy as they can be disasterious for anyone behind you...

Just make sure you are getting a good deal B2TF as the resale on this model will be affected when the new one arrives in the comming months.. Its a new car to this country and this will be its first model upgrade so don't be suprised if you see dealers giving them away for less then Recommended retail at the moment!

This is rougly what a deal looks like on a Focus atm just for your information (QLD pricing)

FOCUS SR
AUTO 1.8
Price - $18,000
Auto - $2,000
Safety Pack - $1100
17 Inch Alloys - $1300
Total - $ 22,400
Stamp Duty - $448
Dealer Delivery - $1495
Rego - $250.40
Total Price - $24,593.40

Thats roughly what an SR is worth at the moment, im not sure what your paying for the used one but I would assume it would be around the $18,000 mark...

Last edited by Smoke Pursuit; 31-03-2005 at 10:49 PM.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2005, 10:45 PM   #14
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Aussie ST just gets green for some weird reason, maybe they thought here it looked weird with the rest of the car being green.... I have no idea but I noticed that too. Here's the ST170 to give you an idea...

Old 31-03-2005, 10:48 PM   #15
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

euro versions have green as well
Old 31-03-2005, 11:03 PM   #16
b2tf
not here much anymore

I am getting looked after on this car, its from the dealears i used to work at and its gonig through a salesman i have known there for ages - has sold us all our Fords and will be doing this one for me.
I wont go into specifics on price, but let's just say i am doing a lot better on it than the regular customer would. I did think about the resale value and the new model coming, but for what i want and the money im paying this one is a fantastic deal for what is, i think, a very well looked after and clean example of a Focus.

It doesnt have power windows and mirrors which is a little annoying but im sure ill cope. I may look at retrofitting them later on down the track, but for now they'll do fine.
Old 31-03-2005, 11:08 PM   #17
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

I just had a quick look on carsales, there a CL in INK blue with the 17 inch rims for $20,500...

Too bad its a manual cost its only done 4,000 kms.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2005, 12:00 AM   #18
RATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
I am getting looked after on this car, its from the dealears i used to work at and its gonig through a salesman i have known there for ages - has sold us all our Fords and will be doing this one for me.
I wont go into specifics on price, but let's just say i am doing a lot better on it than the regular customer would. I did think about the resale value and the new model coming, but for what i want and the money im paying this one is a fantastic deal for what is, i think, a very well looked after and clean example of a Focus.

It doesnt have power windows and mirrors which is a little annoying but im sure ill cope. I may look at retrofitting them later on down the track, but for now they'll do fine.
Hope all goes well b2tf.

The safety pack version is rare so you have a good find.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2005, 10:17 AM   #19
b2tf
not here much anymore

Hi Dean,

must also say thankyou very much for all your help. Unfortunately this particular car is just too good to pass up, which im sure you'd understand. I just wish there were more salespeople like you in Ford dealerships!

Just about to make the call to the dealership now, will hopefully be signing an order this afternoon.
Old 01-04-2005, 12:53 PM   #20
Ferris

I wish the ST170 instrument cluster lit up in blue instead of green. Like, aesthetically, there is NOTHING at all wrong with the car, but I guess I just wanna be ricey.

I can post pics of the interior of mine if you'd like b2ft. Warning, it's blue tho... I changed all the standard lights that come on when you open the door to blue. (footwells, front and centre roof lights)

Can you provide a picture of the auto stick? I'll let you know if you can shorten it.

All in all, I think Ford really hit the nail on the head with the Focus. A good car.

Last edited by Ferris; 01-04-2005 at 12:54 PM.
Old 01-04-2005, 01:01 PM   #21
b2tf
not here much anymore

Hi Ferris,

if you feel like posting up some pics, go for it! Im not sure if mine has footwell lights or not, i would assume it doesnt cos its a CL, but if its only a matter of adding some wiring and bulb holders like it was on my Falcon, ill do it myself. Even though its just more lights, it certainly adds to the look of the interior IMHO.

I havent got any pics of thegear shifter, and i wont be able to get any till Monday, but ill post them up when i get it. Id like to take about an inch or so off it so its not like a bloody walking stick. Looks terrible, and i always find myself having to move my hand up to actually get to it.

Im off to Spares this arvo to organise a few things for it for when i pick it up - mainly ST170 indicators, 17" rims and a leather steering wheel with cruise. After that a K&N will be coming and just little things like the footwell lights etc.
Old 01-04-2005, 01:13 PM   #22
hambo_12

Hey Aust congrats on the decision, soon ill have to be looking out for a focus around the streets!
Old 01-04-2005, 01:26 PM   #23
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferris
I wish the ST170 instrument cluster lit up in blue instead of green. Like, aesthetically, there is NOTHING at all wrong with the car, but I guess I just wanna be ricey.

I can post pics of the interior of mine if you'd like b2ft. Warning, it's blue tho... I changed all the standard lights that come on when you open the door to blue. (footwells, front and centre roof lights)

Can you provide a picture of the auto stick? I'll let you know if you can shorten it.

All in all, I think Ford really hit the nail on the head with the Focus. A good car.
Yes post some pics i want to see what i looks like all blue and if its worth changing the globes

Chris
Old 01-04-2005, 01:35 PM   #24
b2tf
not here much anymore

Thanks Reece. Mate i saw your ute last night, you were just going through te roundabout inbetween the Sturt Mall and the Marketplace here, shame i couldnt catch up and say hi.
Old 01-04-2005, 01:41 PM   #25
hambo_12

Quote:
Thanks Reece. Mate i saw your ute last night, you were just going through te roundabout inbetween the Sturt Mall and the Marketplace here, shame i couldnt catch up and say hi.
Really? Sh!te!!

That wouldve been good, had to waste a couple of hours waiting for the GF to finish TAFE.

Oh well, next time!
Old 01-04-2005, 01:45 PM   #26
b2tf
not here much anymore

yup, let me know if youre in town next time, i finish work at 4:30 in the week. I think you have my mobile? If not, PM me.
Old 01-04-2005, 01:50 PM   #27
hambo_12

Quote:
yup, let me know if youre in town next time, i finish work at 4:30 in the week. I think you have my mobile? If not, PM me.
Yeah man, I got it, next time im around, ill fire you off a message...
Old 02-04-2005, 09:58 PM   #28
b2tf
not here much anymore

Ok well here's the details of the first real 'mod' (if it can be done). I mentioned i dont like the gearshifter being so tall (see pics), and if possible id like to shorten it. Ferris, i put these up so you could see them, and i will take some better pics when i get my car, but for these should give you some idea:

If i can, i want to take about an inch off there. Id rather reach down to change gears than reach up.
You may not be able to see it but there is an overdrive button built into the side of the bit you grab (hard to explain), so i dont know if that will make any difference or not.

So, any ideas?
Old 03-04-2005, 01:43 PM   #29
Kymera

everybodys buyin cls these days. what happened to the good ol days when zetecs where the shyte? sniff....

Last edited by Kymera; 03-04-2005 at 01:48 PM.
Old 03-04-2005, 09:12 PM   #30
b2tf
not here much anymore

Zetecs are nice but i couldnt justify the extra price. They are a little too much for what they are IMHO.