Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 20-03-2005, 12:18 AM   #1
b2tf
not here much anymore

Default Drum Brakes and Safety Pack (CL)

I'm not happy. Drum brakes on a CL! That's ****poor for the price IMHO.

Nevertheless, how do they go? Are they crap or do they do the job fine? Its a major turnoff for me on the Focus - for the money you pay for them it should at least have disc brakes allround.
Does anybody have them, if so, how do you find them?
Old 20-03-2005, 03:40 PM   #2
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Do some research and see that most of the base model cars in this market have drums in the rear, including the newly released Lancer. It's nothing new, and my car will still do a nose stand when required.

Don't make the mistake that drums on the rear will let you down - most people's tires will lose traction well before the limits of the brakes, and that applies to discs as well as drums.

The whole negative attitude that people have towards them is unjustified for road use. If you really think you could tell the difference, spend a grand and get the safety pack installed which converts the rears to discs for the ABS system.

Tim
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2005, 04:51 PM   #3
b2tf
not here much anymore

Tim.

yeah, pretty much every 'small' (i.e. non Falcon or equivalent) i have looked at has them, i just do like knowing i have ABS under there. I take it you dont have the safety pack installed? Do you find it ok in the wet etc?
Old 20-03-2005, 04:59 PM   #4
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

We have the ABS / disc brakes installed in our automatic Capri Blue Focus, as it is the family hack, as there is no doubt it is more idiot proof than without ABS.

My manual Blue Flame Focus is fine in the wet, I prefer the direct feel that I have, I know exactly what the car is doing, but I would not feel as comfortable for the girlfriend to be driving mine in the wet (that and the whole inevitable bodykit destruction).

To me it's not a problem, I love it, but for idiot proof braking, the ABS is worth the extra money. If it saves you one minor rear end smash, it will pay for itself.

Tim
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2005, 03:20 AM   #5
wilawok
Wellhowyoudoin!!

dont worry.......... our ST170 will need new pads all round and new front rotors by 30000k. and ford says this is normal (if driven hard can be less) ......... yeah and so is the bill...... only $950.....

consider yourself lucky

But have to agree am a huge fan of abs........for the lowest common denominator drivers out there!!

V8 Explorer Limited in the garage, with upgraded sound and video....
Ridin on 20's with cat back exhaust and KKM pod filter assembly with custom heat shield (now looking at tuning options)

Last edited by wilawok; 31-03-2005 at 03:22 AM. Reason: clarify point
wilawok is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post