Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 10-02-2005, 06:38 PM   #1
chevaps
Zetec Screamer....

Default Beltronics

The other day i finally got myself a Beltonics Vector 995 radar detector and fitted it beautifully on the drivers side of my car.
Now ill always be one step ahead of those multanovas and hand radars should i need to give the car a lil when im in a rush.

Tom
chevaps is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2005, 08:03 PM   #2
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevaps
The other day i finally got myself a Beltonics Vector 995 radar detector and fitted it beautifully on the drivers side of my car.
Now ill always be one step ahead of those multanovas and hand radars should i need to give the car a lil when im in a rush.

Tom

I got a Bel 990 a few years back, haven't had a ticket since

Has it got front & rear detection, if so it would be better positioned in the centre of your windscreen so it has clear view out the back window (the so-called experts reckon it makes a difference)
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2005, 12:25 AM   #3
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

LOL oi how much do they cost???
Cant u recieve a massive fine for having them?
i guess its better for recieving a fine for having one than to recieve 3 or 4 tickets.
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2005, 09:34 AM   #4
whippet_zetec
Supes

how about this, dont speed then you wont get a fine....
Old 11-02-2005, 03:04 PM   #5
Ferris

I think I'd rather speed, and keep my eyes open. Be observant at speed and you shouldn't a: get a fine and b: have an accident.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2005, 03:41 PM   #6
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

Yeah they are pretty illegal in most places bar WA IIRC....

Easiest not to speed it is

Chris
Old 11-02-2005, 06:30 PM   #7
chevaps
Zetec Screamer....

Yeh the best way is not to speed, but hey, at least i know ill be secure in times when i need to put my foot down a bit. How fast i go always depends on conditions though...

As far as i know, WA is the only state that allows use of radar detectors. Its not just for speed cameras. Like the other day i was driving on the Mitchell Fwy and currently there is a train line being made up along it and as i drove past all the trucks, machinery etc, my detector came up with 'Roadworks' written on it. Apparently it picks up hazards up ahead too if the appropriate transmitter is put on the road by police/ambulance/fire brigade.

Fireman Sam, i originally had it in the middle, but my cousin got done a few years back for it being in the field of view of the driver, so i changed it. Rear detection dont bother me. I always look in my rear view every now and again anyway. However, i still find it picks up K band from petrol stations behind me...
Old 11-02-2005, 06:39 PM   #8
chevaps
Zetec Screamer....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferris
I think I'd rather speed, and keep my eyes open. Be observant at speed and you shouldn't a: get a fine and b: have an accident.
Yeh i used to be like that, but im always on Stock Rd and Rockingham Rd to work, and Stirling Hwy to uni, and theres a heap of bushes along both of those roads which they can hide the multanovas in. I had the money so now i can let the detector do the looking for me when im in a rush.

That, and coupled with the fact i was done for 60km/h in a 50km/h zone 9 days after getting my licence in 2003 by a patrol car says to me they're real pricks. The copper claimed it was a built up area with no speed sign, which fair enough was my wrong, because when theres no sign, its 50km/h, but i know the Freo area real well and i could have sworn it was 60km/h before hand and it was an open stretch of road, not built up.....

Oh well, that wont be happening again
Old 01-03-2005, 12:08 AM   #9
WASACL
Phat-Euro

How do these things work man?

Russ
Old 01-03-2005, 12:17 AM   #10
Kryton

someone here got busted with one. it was $1000 fine, some demerit points AND a conviction on his record.
be carefull with what you have if they are illegal in your state.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2005, 02:07 AM   #11
chevaps
Zetec Screamer....

Quote:
Originally Posted by WASACL
How do these things work man?

Russ
Russ, it picks up electromagnetic waves of different frequencies by lens' which face front and rear, hence 360 degree pick up. There are different "bands" of frequencies which are used by different devices.
In Aus:
K band = patrol cars
Ka band = multanovas and some patrol cars
Ku band = newer multanovas some of which have made it to perth recently
POP = just a warning for newer multanovas which use POP tech
Laser = handheld radar

Each of these bands have a specific frequency, when sampled by the radar detector measures the frequency and gives the appropriate band, hence u know wots up ahead.

Hope this helps

Tom
Old 11-03-2005, 03:29 PM   #12
dontask
Starter Motor

Have you guys heard of RDD's (Radar Detector DETECTORS) that all the cop's now have? Its like a $1000 fine in my state.. so I'm not willing to use it...

http://www.radarlaser.com.au/raddetdt.htm

The Australian made Stalcar RDD will basically detect all RDs, and is becoming more standard in patrol cars.... Currently there is no protection (stealth) for these RDDs because the demand hasn't been great enough in the states.. (eg. not enough patrol cars there have the stalcar RDDs fitted).

My advice is to be careful whilst using your RD... leave it off until you intend to speed.. and put it in the glovebox while away from your car.
dontask is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2005, 03:35 PM   #13
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontask
Have you guys heard of RDD's (Radar Detector DETECTORS) that all the cop's now have? Its like a $1000 fine in my state.. so I'm not willing to use it...

http://www.radarlaser.com.au/raddetdt.htm

The Australian made Stalcar RDD will basically detect all RDs, and is becoming more standard in patrol cars.... Currently there is no protection (stealth) for these RDDs because the demand hasn't been great enough in the states.. (eg. not enough patrol cars there have the stalcar RDDs fitted).

My advice is to be careful whilst using your RD... leave it off until you intend to speed.. and put it in the glovebox while away from your car.
Or you could get an RDDD (Radar Detector Detector Detector) unless your local cops carry RDDDDs!
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2005, 05:08 PM   #14
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontask
Just to clear up a misconception here - there are a couple of heavily modified ex US units sold here that have been successfully modified to defeat even the latest Mk 3 Stalcar RDD but you'll pay dearly for the privilege.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post