Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 24-03-2005, 09:26 PM   #1
b2tf
not here much anymore

Default Focus Aerial

Apologies for all the threads ive started, but as you can tell im rather interested in Foci!

Just a quick one - what does the aerial do? Is it only for radio reception or could it be used to say, run a handsfree kit through? I dont like it much, i think it makes the car look like its remote controlled, but if it's possible to use it with my mobile etc, i'd probably keep it.

So any info anyone has about what it can/cant do would be great.

Oh btw, does anyone have the Ford 6 stacker?
Old 24-03-2005, 11:08 PM   #2
zetec
Zoom Zoom

The aerial is for radio, I reckon it makes it look more like the rally car, I LOVE it!!

As for handsfree kit, I used a dedicated handfree aerial for that, although I don't imagine it would be too hard to rig it up for handsfree use.

As for the 6 stacker, I couldn't afford the $900 which is ridiculously expensive fornothing but a plug and play 6-stacker, so I bought a 2nd hand Alpine unit locally off Ebay after much research and an "M-bus" adapter which plugs DIRECTLY into the green port on the back of the stereo and the other end into the 6-stacker, worked like a charm and was integrated just like factory, even worked from the steering wheel remote. If you're interested, I can get the details for you, but be warned, I had to buy it from the USA. All up I paid roughly $330 including postage for the second hand 6-stacker and the adapter and even though the stacker died (should have paid $100 more and got a brand new alpine unit) it was justl ike factory. When the dealer fitted "factory" 6-stacker is as expensive as the full premium sound system in the Falcon, then it's just not worth it.

To clear that up, the factory CD player uses the M-Bus protocol to read data so if you can locate a CD stacker that uses M-Bus then all you need is the adapter. Alpine have good reliability, high quality and it's hard to find but worth the search for an M-Bus unit. There might be other brands that use M-bus, just do a google search, I couldn't be bothered!!!!! Any questions, just ask me. I installed it under the passenger seat, velcor taped it to the floor, it was a FULLY professional installation and took about 20 minutes plug and play. The bonus is, you still retain use of the original CD slot, so it's effectively a 7-CD player.

Last edited by zetec; 24-03-2005 at 11:12 PM.
zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2005, 11:26 PM   #3
b2tf
not here much anymore

i'll have to do some more research on the aerial, obviously the fewer the aerials the better, but the car kit is a must.

and $900 for the stacker?! screw that!

what you did sounds like a great install. the other option i was considering in regards to audio was using a pioneer etc stacker and an FM modulator, but id be more inclined to physically wire it up like you said - just prefer it that way.the reason i was looking at the ford stacker was because i want to retain use of the steering column mounted controls, but if its possible to do it another way (m-bus etc), then ill look into that. id much rather a nice alpine or pioneer unit over the ford one anyway.
Old 25-03-2005, 01:16 PM   #4
Mio

I've replaced my aerial with one from repco it's very short and it's made from brushed aluminium, looks very good and it's only $12
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2005, 02:42 PM   #5
b2tf
not here much anymore

Mio, do you have any more (and bigger) pics of your Zetec than the one in your avatar?
Old 25-03-2005, 06:39 PM   #6
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

I have the 6 stacker in my car... hardly use more then 1 cd in it at a time anyway, if/when i get around to replacing the stereo, im going back to a single deck anyway

chris
Old 25-03-2005, 08:02 PM   #7
b2tf
not here much anymore

So you've never had any problems with it? Id prefer a 6 stacker over a single CD simply because of the amount of driving i do.

Last edited by b2tf; 25-03-2005 at 08:03 PM.
b2tf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2005, 08:55 PM   #8
zetec
Zoom Zoom

fordel has the factory in dash 6-stacker though, not the plug in under-seat unit. To retain FULL factory usage, the install I did is the only way to go unless you can score someone else's 6-stacker from their dash our of a Ghia or ST170. Shame that's not an option on the rest of the range. I spent about 6 months researching, scouring the net and then taking the risk and it worked, so if you need more details then just let me know, I'm happy to sell you my adapter simply because it's not in my car right now thanks to the non-working stacker itself.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....ayphotohosting Something like this is prime, it's M-Bus and worth the buy as long as it works. Alpine is a biaaatch to fix though, worth buying a new unit for the price of getting an older unit fixed, they really stitch you up for repair because it's hard to find anyone who touches them, all the Dodgy Bros (TM) outlets these days like Strathfield Car Radios just won't touch any of the decent audio equipment, they only flog off sony etc... very hard to find an Alpine retailer. Alpine seem to have lost the plot somewhat, they used to be pretty big and respected but have since disappeared from what I can see. I believe the Ford factory unit is actually an alpine unit, hence me using an Alpine also.
Old 25-03-2005, 08:57 PM   #9
zetec
Zoom Zoom

here's another http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....17#description
Old 25-03-2005, 10:28 PM   #10
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

never had any issues at all with my stacker, plays burnt cd's as well with no worries

chris
Old 25-03-2005, 11:43 PM   #11
whippet_zetec
Supes

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
Mio, do you have any more (and bigger) pics of your Zetec than the one in your avatar?
they are a small brushed aluminium ariel and are about 20cm from memory, I have seen them at Parklea Markets (which are just down the road from my place) for about $8.00 or $9.00....
Old 25-03-2005, 11:55 PM   #12
b2tf
not here much anymore

I know exactly where an Alpine dealer is, i used to work with a guy who works there now and i have known the owner for aaaaaaaaages (fantastic guitar player lol).

I dont like the idea of buying a 2nd hand unit, however if i could get an adaptor i'd look at doing it that way (although ideally would be to get the ford 6stack). So am i right in thinking Alpine no longer make any M-Bus stackers? That seems a bit weird?

Actually, ive just read your post again, you do know the one im talking about? There's a 6 stack changer available and it can be added at any time? Just got a bit confused as you were talking about the indash one (i do realise there are 2).
Old 26-03-2005, 07:51 PM   #13
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Mate I know exactly what you mean, I'm referring to the add on 6-stacker, the plug in one that Ford sells for $900, it's the same as what I posted links to on Ebay more or less that I ended up doing for a third of the price. I only briefly referred to the indash unit because it's preferable, but impossible to source one, they're not available as an option, you can really only score an EX-ST170 or Ghia unit. Inless you scour Ebay overseas.

Alpine still does make M-Bus units too I believe, only about 9 months ago I was VERY close to buying a brand new unit to replace my dead one. Never got around to it. Just avoid the Ai-Net protocol, it's not compatible with the factory head unit.
Old 27-03-2005, 04:06 PM   #14
Ferris

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordel
never had any issues at all with my stacker, plays burnt cd's as well with no worries

chris
Only CD-RW's have issues, and then its only some of them. CD-R's no worries.

(I have the ST170 with the 6-stacker)

But now I have an iTrip for my iPod, I don't even use the stacker anymore.
Old 27-03-2005, 04:08 PM   #15
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

i never even use cdrw's so no issues there only RW i use is a DVD for home hehe ;)

hrmm i need an ipod

Chris
Old 27-03-2005, 04:09 PM   #16
Ferris

Do it! iPods are teh mint. I used to be an avid anti-apple person, until I scored an iPod mini.
Old 27-03-2005, 04:39 PM   #17
zetec
Zoom Zoom

The New Focus has an auxiliary input so you can directly plug in your Ipod, which if there's some switched on Dealers out there, they'll start selling their vehicles with a free Ipod or perhaps just making it easier for the consumer by offering it as a Dealer option unique to the local Dealer, they only need to spend $500 for a KICK **** seriously huge Ipod. That will crap all over the 6-stackers that the competition has, it means you can have more music, more chouce, and can take it everywhere you go!!! It's something that's not yet very big in automotive, but a few switched on Dealers is all it takes. Imagine looking at a Mazda 3 or a New Focus and even tho the 3 has a 6-stacker, for less money you can get the Ipod. The majority of young savvy buyers will prefer the Ipod in al honesty (surely!!) and those that already have one then won't need to spend as much money!!!!! Both are winners.
Old 28-03-2005, 04:10 PM   #18
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

I have used Apple products for years (although I have PC's for regular net and games machines) and the iPod is another great one that I use all the time.

I use it mainly for video storage though, although roughly 10GB of music on it for whenever one has to listen to something good on the go! (and the huge remaining space used for video!)

Tim

Last edited by Timmeh; 28-03-2005 at 08:53 PM.
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2005, 08:27 PM   #19
whippet_zetec
Supes

I just got an ipod and also the FM transmitter, so 6-stacker's will never be on my to buy list, 20G iPod I will never have a chance in hell of filling up with music, already I have something like 1,500 songs on my ipod and I dont need to carry any cd's in the car, ...if you dont have an iPod and love your music while driving get one I'd say (although you do have to afford it awell and they arent cheap but then again neither is a six stacker).
Old 29-03-2005, 09:14 AM   #20
lincoln
Blinded

If you can avoid using the FM modulators for the i-pod or a CD changer, you'll have much better sound quality out of your system. Avoid it if you can.
lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2005, 12:37 PM   #21
brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mio
I've replaced my aerial with one from repco it's very short and it's made from brushed aluminium, looks very good and it's only $12
Did you replace the base of the antenna too? I mean the bit that is stuck to the car and requires removing the interior lights to change
brother is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2005, 09:10 AM   #22
whippet_zetec
Supes

Quote:
Originally Posted by brother
Did you replace the base of the antenna too? I mean the bit that is stuck to the car and requires removing the interior lights to change
the ones I have seen screw into the same base, you screw your standard one off and screw the new one onto the same thread.
Old 30-03-2005, 08:43 PM   #23
Mio

u can find pics of my car in members rides
Old 30-03-2005, 10:44 PM   #24
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Which can be found here:
http://www.eurofordclub.com/php/details.php?m=Mio

Tim!
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2005, 07:40 PM   #25
Suth
Suth

Does the new focus audio unit play MP3? The free iPod with every new focus sold certainly has merit.
Suth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2005, 10:40 PM   #26
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Not an MPs head unit no, just Auxiliary input to make up for it which is arguably MUCH better.