Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 28-03-2012, 06:11 PM   #121
Cabbage
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: $A=$US - Are we getting ripped off?

Rodp,

Not wanting to harp on a point but if you were in karnage's situation you would pay $250 for the shock in Aus rather than the $30 odd dollars for the same shock from the US?.

The Aus distributor could do as karnage has done, order the shock from the states and still sell it for under $250.

There is no way buying in bulk could offset the price difference to this extent.

At least your still buying Aus karnage.
Cabbage is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2012, 06:36 PM   #122
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Always check freight ..
I bought a turbo oil flange for T6 housing..
$12 to buy and $102 freight !!!
Sent them an email.. Spitting chips!!!
Said Oh we usually use USPS on light stuff..
Oh yea like turbo oil feed lines etc are heavy !!
I got the WHOLE braided oil feed and return for $86 including
freight...!!! Don't just cop it guys...

Bought Koni shocks for Focus ..
$450 delivered from U.S... Over $800 here ...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2012, 07:00 PM   #123
UberKnee
The One Who Knocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnage
So those who blame economy of scale and local wages for the price differences, please explain this:

4 Munroe shocks for an f100 allegedly Australian made. Made here, shipped to the states, taxes paid, warehouse costs etc etc wholesalers sell to retailer, and then sends them back to australia to my door for Aus$114 so that comes in at $28.50 including shipping. Locally the same shocks are $996 or $249 each.

So from what i understand, the cost involved in these items staying withing Australia and going from the manufacturer to the retailer is nearly 9 times as much as sending them around the world?
That's what really stings, when you find Aussie made goods that are shipped across the world twice and sell for cheaper than you can buy them from here locally.
UberKnee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2012, 07:42 PM   #124
Karnage
Finger Painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
We have to go through case by case basis now?

It's impossible to give a definitive answer as to why there's such a disparity. Perhaps the US distributor sells tens of thousands of them per year and the Australian distributor sells 3?

I'd guarantee you that the US distributor purchases a significantly higher volume. The price that they purchase them at has to be a price that is competitive in that market (and hopefully a price the manufacturer can make a profit on), otherwise the distributor wouldn't have incentive to import them.
Surely you jest?
$249 vs $28.50 yet the cheaper one has been around the world twice.?

It's not a matter of going through this case by case, I think many here would have a similar story of being Robbed by a local supplier.
Karnage is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2012, 07:46 PM   #125
MAD
Petro-sexual

Does purchasing an Australian made product cheaper from overseas count as support?
Every sale counts.
Old 28-03-2012, 08:26 PM   #126
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabbage
Rodp,

Not wanting to harp on a point but if you were in karnage's situation you would pay $250 for the shock in Aus rather than the $30 odd dollars for the same shock from the US?.
I wouldn't have even looked at the price in the US, so I would have paid the $250.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2012, 08:36 PM   #127
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnage
Surely you jest?
$249 vs $28.50 yet the cheaper one has been around the world twice.?
As I said, it's impossible to say why it's that much more expensive - you'd have to be part of the loop to have any hope of giving a definitive answer. To simply say that the US pay less than us for the exact same product therefore Australian businesses are obviously price gouging is simplistic and patently false.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post