Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 04-05-2008, 10:06 PM   #61
UU TS50
T3 TS50 075

the bottle shop that had cougars for $23 still had alchopop type stuff at 4 for $9

My car T3 TS50 #75 Blueprint manual 1/4 mile 13.38 @ 102.97 mph TS 50 = 237.1 rwkw
UU TS50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2008, 10:23 PM   #62
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my localbottle shop has increased the mudslides and cruisers and the like went up by at least $8 a six pack but rum and coke and the like are the same which is in line with what news said was going to happen as its the drinks marketed to the very young that were the problem,why would JD go up in some places?
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2008, 10:37 PM   #63
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They know there are people who will still buy it. Look at cigarettes. The "its for your own good" is a lie meaning, we can't run a budget, have no idea or control over what our departments are doing financially, and so we are going to give you another tax.

At the rate were going, soon we'll be getting absolutely no infrastructure, will be paying for everything privately and getting taxed to the hilt on everything including the air we breathe.
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2008, 11:05 PM   #64
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Instead of buying alcopops, they'll buy a bottle of crappy Smirnoff, a couple of bottles of soft drink, and make their money go further.

The system doesn't work.

Had my first spirits-in-a-can in ages on the weekend when I went camping out near Buller. Bottles can break, so got Johnny and Dry, and Smirnoff Ice, and did a few shots of Sambuca (which I thought sucked), Buffalo Vokda (smooth) and Bell's Scotch (rough as buggery).

Fact is that people who want to drink will always find a way.
Brother used to buy me Bacardi and with a friend, we'd finish it in a night.

Cheers

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2008, 11:46 PM   #65
Darkr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

nice one voting for krudd.... :/

wtf is an alchopop though? I swear this is a made up term, which I have never heard previous to this money grab.

Some kids will drink, yes it happens, and I have seen zero negative effect yet. Many parents are the suppliers in many of the cases too...

The tax is stupid and not well thought out as well, the kids are just going to buy straight spirits.

And yes, from what I have seen growing up, it's much more likely that females will be the drinkers at the young age.
Darkr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2008, 12:02 AM   #66
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

''The economic impact of alcohol is also significant. In 2004-05, alcohol cost Australia an estimated $15.3 billion a year, through crime, violence, treatment, loss of productivity and premature death.''
recent article written by Lisa Martin.

This has doubled in just 6 years so yes there is a problem.

As long as there is no tax increase on fresh food and stables, I am not to fussed what they charge for alcohol.
I had a brother who was 36yo he fell into the premature death part of an alcohol statistic.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2008, 12:04 AM   #67
trick_xd
I build your wish list...

Quote:
Originally Posted by au302s3
$14 for a six pack of cougars then they went to about $18 now there bloody $23 you can buy a carton of beer for about $30 hey?

Cougars are 20$ for 12 OR 40$ for a slab of 24

if your paying more then that then go else where.

Maybe I should do a " on the side " selling to you guys at a good price.
every 10 slabs of jim I get the next for free , guess what my misers drinks
Old 05-05-2008, 12:11 AM   #68
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

*just realised*

NOOO MY BUNDY DRY & LIME!!!!!! first petrol screws us over.. now they do it on the liquids for our bodies? what next? oh yeah. +2.5c per ciggie
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2008, 12:21 AM   #69
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas
my localbottle shop has increased the mudslides and cruisers and the like went up by at least $8 a six pack but rum and coke and the like are the same which is in line with what news said was going to happen as its the drinks marketed to the very young that were the problem,why would JD go up in some places?
just wait until they legalise marijuana.. and then tax it of course..
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2008, 12:23 AM   #70
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliewool
One day we'll learn from the past?... Or maybe NOT?

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...deral+election
Thanks Charlie one day..

Guy's there are plenty of places/forums you can vent politics, but not on AFF.

alcohol and the increase of the mixers is the the thread topic.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2008, 07:07 AM   #71
Thornie
Off smelting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Beer and wine are next...

It will be intereting to see where these extra funds get spent..

there was talk on the radio about this the other day, somthing about a 400% increase in the tax on beer and wine.
Thornie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2008, 05:04 PM   #72
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

blame the brain dead tools who get blind and start trouble this is a reaction to the stupidity of drunks. lets face it the sale of alcohol is not an esential household item it is a recreational drug and as such deserves no protection form price increases . if the use of this drug causes community problems a price increase will reduce consumption.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Its offical, the government has reamed consumers.

I may as well go to a park and get blind on goon bag.

It like the government doesn't have asolution to teenage binge drinking (which, apparently isn't as bad as what we are led to beleive) so they just do a money grap. Im very annyoed at this,i tolerated $8.50, but this is downright stupid.

I think the government should have atleast made the tax hike on takeaway sales instead of barsales, because i dont see any teenagers bingiing at the pup :

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2008, 06:31 PM   #73
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If they wanted to stop alcohol related violence they would change the closing times for pubs back to midnight. Patrons would then have to plan to go elsewhere to drink pre purchased take aways or go to an expensive nightclub where the entry fee and cost of drinks would limit consumption.
Instead now we have people leaving pubs completely blind at 03:00 or 04:00 and smashing stuff and people up.
It seems to me that this is a direct result of the extension of trading hours that started in the late 80s and early nineties. (oddly enough the same timeframe that is quoted in a lot of the increase in violence statistics).

The tax increase on pre mixed drinks is merely a good headline grabbing fix that will help raise some revenue and make the govt look good.

Regards,
Tote
Old 05-05-2008, 07:17 PM   #74
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecraft
**time to clean out the old bong**
Lol.

What you say is true. People will start using alternatives.

It costs my mate around $3 to get high and despite been illegal the consequence is a slap on the wrist, and you can almost buy it anywhere.

Thanks to Rudd we're gonna see alternative methods of altering the state of mind.

I'm sure he knows that, just doesn't care. After all it's MONEY!!!!!
Old 05-05-2008, 07:22 PM   #75
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-CHIEF
but which one of them is more dangerous??
Statistics show that alcohol is far easier to OD on than either of those 2 drugs.

They're all bad in the end. If they really cared about binge drinking they'd implement a system limiting the amount of drinks people could purchase per day.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:32 PM   #76
70caprigt3k
Nitrous Junkie

It's pretty simple, If you wanna get legless just drink spirits as a straight shot.

I got my drink on last night doing straight shots of Jager with the occasional beer and it was the one of the cheapest nights out i have had in ages, by the time i got home i couldn't even see straight so it was a good night too.

If your not drinking to get wasted your not drinking enough of the stuff for the price to be all that significant anyway.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:43 PM   #77
crusher
Dirty ute club member

Ive been talking to the young fellas and just like us theyve got it sussed. Theyre onto the cartons of beer and bottles of spirits. If they want to get drunk they'll do it any old how and generally pretty quickly.

Went to the pub last night and the prices hadn't been changed so I was pretty happy. Good ol Andy! Lookin after the hills crew. $6.50 for a can of Beam and $7.50 for a stubby of Jacks
crusher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2008, 12:24 AM   #78
Shoofty_As
Got Any Lollies??

Any one got Krudds email address? I want to send him a copy of this link so he can read up on the responses from both drinkers and non drinkers.

Cant we just make the openings smaller on the cans/bottles? (joke)

Why don't we start up a AFF petition, I'll be the first to sign..
Old 06-05-2008, 02:02 AM   #79
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

All this has done for me is make customers more ****ed off and abusive, thanks Kev!
If they were serious about this, let me put forward a couple of suggestions...
Why wouldnt they make the drinking age 21?
Cancel Advertising, just like Tobacco?
But wait, they will lose money on both, that can't happen! Just double the Alcohol Excise tax... too easy!
I cant wait until November when Beer gets exactly the same treatment!

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2008, 07:07 AM   #80
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

raising the drinking age wouldn't do much, people will find ways to get booze whether they're allowed to or not, I've seen 14 year olds off their face at parties, you guessed it they were females, most of the people there were 16-19..
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2008, 07:55 AM   #81
Buddy 1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-CHIEF
raising the drinking age wouldn't do much, people will find ways to get booze whether they're allowed to or not, I've seen 14 year olds off their face at parties, you guessed it they were females, most of the people there were 16-19..
First of all us Adults have to lead By Example & not show our Children as they are growing up that it is ok to Drink to excess.

Then yes we do need to raise the Drinking Age to 21 which would also help get the Drunk Teenagers off our Streets at all hours.

We also need to make all Pubs & Clubs shut at Midnight so those over 21 can go home (yeah maybe they will still keep drinking at home however they will be off the streets) some of them.

And have the Police round up any stragglers found wandering drunk after Midnight.

This is all achievable & would not only help the Teenagers themselves but also help with Crime & Violence.

Yes I like the occasional Beer or Bourbon at Home however it is like 1 or 2 with Dinner sometimes or when we have a BBQ & not 10 or more.

So Adults lead by Example & Mr Rudd do not make everyone pay for the Teenagers lack of sense.

Lastly just Ban Tobacco completely as it serves no Purpose other to make people sick.

PS: If you think I sound like a wowser well from the age of 14 I drank a fair bit with Friends & once I was 18 I would drink from 8 till 3 constantly at Nightclubs every Friday & Saturday night (yes binge drinking) & it nearly cost me my life a few times so I was no Different to the young these Days however we do get older & Wiser not to mention pay for it in our health in later years.

Last edited by Buddy 1; 06-05-2008 at 08:02 AM.
Buddy 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2008, 10:03 AM   #82
King Nothing
He has, the Knack..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy 1
First of all us Adults have to lead By Example & not show our Children as they are growing up that it is ok to Drink to excess.

Then yes we do need to raise the Drinking Age to 21 which would also help get the Drunk Teenagers off our Streets at all hours.

We also need to make all Pubs & Clubs shut at Midnight so those over 21 can go home (yeah maybe they will still keep drinking at home however they will be off the streets) some of them.

And have the Police round up any stragglers found wandering drunk after Midnight.

This is all achievable & would not only help the Teenagers themselves but also help with Crime & Violence.

Yes I like the occasional Beer or Bourbon at Home however it is like 1 or 2 with Dinner sometimes or when we have a BBQ & not 10 or more.

So Adults lead by Example & Mr Rudd do not make everyone pay for the Teenagers lack of sense.

Lastly just Ban Tobacco completely as it serves no Purpose other to make people sick.

PS: If you think I sound like a wowser well from the age of 14 I drank a fair bit with Friends & once I was 18 I would drink from 8 till 3 constantly at Nightclubs every Friday & Saturday night (yes binge drinking) & it nearly cost me my life a few times so I was no Different to the young these Days however we do get older & Wiser not to mention pay for it in our health in later years.
LOL, I was reading that and thought "what a bloody wowser"

But how will raising the drinking age to 21 help? I thought the problem was underage drinking?

I'm not a smoker, nor a heavy drinker (go out for a night every month or so, MAYBE a bottle of wine once a week with the missus and MAYBE a couple of beers during the week). But banning it because "its bad for you" isn't a fair reason either.

In that case why make v8s, big 6's and turbos more than capable of exceeding the speed limit? Why does my speedo go up to 220km/h when I can only legally do half that?

The problem then is you create a nanny state. If you take something away (by either taxing it out of reach or banning outright) without giving a good enough reason, people will get upset and some will use other methods to acheive the same results. But educating people at an early age is a great idea. Someone mentioned in this thread before about how the dangers of alcohol are not explained in school. I know now that heavy drinking can cause cirrosis of the liver, but what does that mean? What are the consequences? I doubt any underage binge drinker knows half of the potential problems they are setting themselves up for. Punishing the general population by increasing tax is not the answer, its a cop-out to look like they are doing something but make a fortune at the same time. Education is the solution. But again that costs money. Just like proper driving education.

I remember in high school we were taught about the dangers of smoking. And in general it has worked. None of my friends smoke, I doubt that would be the case 20-30 years ago. So why not alcohol? Leave people the choice of what they want to do, but make them fully aware of the risks and consequences.

I also believe this has more to it than just alcohol causing the problems. Kids have been binge drinking forever. But they used to have limits. They had proper discipline when they were younger. But this new mob of people (I'm only 22 myself!) haven't had proper discipline their entire lives and so have no boundaries. They push and push until they reach it, its human nature. The only time any serious consequences come are when someone is seriously hurt or even killed. In which case it's too late for the other person.

Workhorse, stock as a rock

2004 BA MKI Futura - Now the wife's

For Show: 18" Kaotic Shadow Chrome, King SL all round, Cadence Amp, Kenwood 12" Sub, JL Audio 5x7's, Scuff Plates, MP3 Connector

For Go: SVI LPG, K&N Filter, F6 CAI, XR6T snorkle, XR8 catback, Magnaflow metal cat, Pacemaker headers, Underdrive, Thermostat, Custom tune, DBA4000

Now with baby seat and toys

175.6 rwkw

www.bseries.com.au/King_Nothing
King Nothing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2008, 07:13 PM   #83
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoofty_As
Any one got Krudds email address? I want to send him a copy of this link so he can read up on the responses from both drinkers and non drinkers.

Cant we just make the openings smaller on the cans/bottles? (joke)

Why don't we start up a AFF petition, I'll be the first to sign..
Already e-mailed him mate, wont do anything but just felt like a : . :
You are supposed to get a reply back in 24HRS i never got one so i sent another one with another : :
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2008, 07:17 PM   #84
DDXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Tonko]
I cant wait until November when Beer gets exactly the same treatment!
You unaustralian sadistic bugger. Taking beer is downright unaustralian.

*Gets onto email K-Rudd*
DDXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2008, 07:53 PM   #85
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Try going to the casino in cairns.

3 floors.

Red Bull & Vodka
1st floor: $9
2nd Floor: $12
3rd Floor: $14

WTF!

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2008, 09:35 PM   #86
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Well they should ban alchahol as well and let the underworld control it. Just because the government sais your not allowed to do something doesn't mean that people wont. Look at the amount of illegal drugs that are around in our country.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2008, 09:45 PM   #87
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661
Try going to the casino in cairns.

3 floors.

Red Bull & Vodka
1st floor: $9
2nd Floor: $12
3rd Floor: $14

WTF!
:
Old 06-05-2008, 10:27 PM   #88
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Honestly though...It completly has me baffled, to the point where I even asked why. To which the bartender refused to serve me another drink and I was escorted out.

But seriously...Can't a bloke get ****ed these days without giving his left kahonie and a thumb?

This is as un-australian as watering down beer at the local, and as chopper would say, more un-australian then getting compo you actually deserve.

Bloody...Bloody!

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2008, 10:37 PM   #89
Buddy 1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Well they should ban alchahol as well and let the underworld control it. Just because the government sais your not allowed to do something doesn't mean that people wont. Look at the amount of illegal drugs that are around in our country.
So we Ban the Underworld, Prostitutes, Organised Crime.

Do Random Drug testing in the Streets, clean up the Country from all Drugs.

Then once clean Heavily Police the Airports & Shipping Ports.
Buddy 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2008, 03:32 AM   #90
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
So we Ban the Underworld, Prostitutes, Organised Crime.

Do Random Drug testing in the Streets, clean up the Country from all Drugs.

Then once clean Heavily Police the Airports & Shipping Ports.

Might as well go the whole hog, ban everything. Make people buy a certificate to buy a car (lets say 15,000 aussie). Close pubs and clubs down. make gambling illegal, contact sports are completly banned, etc....

Oh lets microchip everyone and have camera's everywhere so we can keep everyone 'safe'.

Tax petrol and gas and diesel even more so more people will use public transport.

What else could we do.....
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post