Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 04-05-2008, 11:26 AM   #1
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 
Default $10 for a can of JD

Its offical, the government has reamed consumers.

I may as well go to a park and get blind on goon bag.

It like the government doesn't have asolution to teenage binge drinking (which, apparently isn't as bad as what we are led to beleive) so they just do a money grap. Im very annyoed at this,i tolerated $8.50, but this is downright stupid.

I think the government should have atleast made the tax hike on takeaway sales instead of barsales, because i dont see any teenagers bingiing at the pup :

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2008, 11:32 AM   #2
King Nothing
He has, the Knack..

Stop whinging and drink beer! :

Seriously though, its a massive hike. I feel sorry for my mates who don't drink beer.

Workhorse, stock as a rock

2004 BA MKI Futura - Now the wife's

For Show: 18" Kaotic Shadow Chrome, King SL all round, Cadence Amp, Kenwood 12" Sub, JL Audio 5x7's, Scuff Plates, MP3 Connector

For Go: SVI LPG, K&N Filter, F6 CAI, XR6T snorkle, XR8 catback, Magnaflow metal cat, Pacemaker headers, Underdrive, Thermostat, Custom tune, DBA4000

Now with baby seat and toys

175.6 rwkw

www.bseries.com.au/King_Nothing
King Nothing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2008, 11:35 AM   #3
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Beer and wine are next...

It will be intereting to see where these extra funds get spent..

Old 04-05-2008, 11:38 AM   #4
Paxton
Cobblers!

If beer goes up, then I'm going to start Home Brewing again. I've got the equipment and bottles from when I was younger.

I remember paying $2 for a Schooner (in NSW).
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2008, 11:38 AM   #5
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Mate, thats what I spent for a WHOLE NIGHT on the pi$$ in Vietnam...

2,000.00 VND = 0.132461 AUD

Yes... beer for 13 cents a glass : :the_finge
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2008, 12:22 PM   #6
trick_xd
I build your wish list...

Beer is the next to be taxed and it will be in the next 8 mths

its the RTD's that are taxed more as I used to pay

carlton stubby = luc 1.87 sell 3.00
jim beam stubby = luc 3.32 sell 7.00
these have all ready gone up and will be again , I will have to up the cost of my stuff by about 50c to still make money

Pot of bear =luc 0.58 sell 2.85
this will go up and expect to pay from 3.40 - 4.00 just for a pot
trick_xd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2008, 12:28 PM   #7
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Stupid government.

6 pack of Beam cans ended up being $25 the other day which means a carton will be about $100.

I remember paying $12 for a Jacks last night.....

Cant stand beer when having a big night
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2008, 12:32 PM   #8
DDXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I personally think the whole binge drinking thing is being blown out of proportion by the government in a bid to increase taxes on alcohol. We have 'apparently' had it far to easy and cheap to buy alcohol according to a non-drinking mate of mine.

Why penalise everyone under the same taxes when 95% of the population would not be binge drinking?

I'm a beer drinker, love nothing more than 1-2 beers after work to unwind, so it wont hit me too hard (yet), but still like a can of CC and dry or JD here and there, and unfortunately - won't be the case anymore when im having to pay $25+ a six pack or $10 a can in a pub/club.
DDXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2008, 12:32 PM   #9
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Luckily I get my wine for free from the wife's work. I guess her allowance won't go as far as it used to once that put the tax up on wine and beer.
I'll probably start home brewing again with beer going up. Mind you, I wonder how long it will take the government to up the tax on home brew gear once all the teenagers start "binge drinking" on home brew?
Old 04-05-2008, 12:35 PM   #10
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan635
We have 'apparently' had it far to easy and cheap to buy alcohol according to a non-drinking mate of mine.
I think your mate is a bit mis-informed. Alcohol is a lot cheaper elsewhere in the world. I was spewing that due to the new laws on airlines that I couldn't bring home a 1L bottle of Johnnie Blue for US$169 from San Francisco.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:45 PM   #11
DDXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
Luckily I get my wine for free from the wife's work. I guess her allowance won't go as far as it used to once that put the tax up on wine and beer.
I'll probably start home brewing again with beer going up. Mind you, I wonder how long it will take the government to up the tax on home brew gear once all the teenagers start "binge drinking" on home brew?
All home brew equipment will have to be registered with volumes strictly measured and you will be charged tax on top of it. A registered technician must carry out a weekly inspection of you're brewing gear and you're licencing. Any beers drank must be recorded in a log book. Example Below -

Saturday, 14th Feb 2009 -
Felt like a beer, got pretzels out of cupboard for alcohol absorbsion assistance. Poured exactly 378.2ml of beer into my favourite 'World best golfer' beer mug. Sat infront of television watching collingwood vs adelaide on the TV, Mcleod should retire. Consumed beer @ exactly 1.34pm. Scratched nuts at approx 1.49pm followed by a bellowing fart (possible follow through). Still thirsty due to pretzels. Poured 392ml of beer into beer glass and had consumed it by 2.09pm (was slightly warm). This homebrew tastes like metal shavings.

If you produce more than 10 litres of home brew per week or 300L per annumm, you must have you're licence reviewed. You licence test involves 8 first aid safety courses, 3 safe brewing courses, 2 I.D checking courses and a 'how to pour beer' course.

Any defective equipment will be defected by the licence technician, and must be re-registered once in a satisfactory condition. If any underagers are caught binge drinking on you're home brew (Binge drinking - 3 sip's per minute or more) even by accident or without you're knowledge - Go straight to jail, Do not pass go. Big bubba will be more than accommodating.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:50 PM   #12
Gabbs
Curry in a hurry

All thats going to happen is now they will move onto bottles and mix it themselves now which will be worse cause the mix isn't going to be consistent.
Gabbs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2008, 12:54 PM   #13
xe351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hopefully it does help the binge drinking thing. Maybe they will put the extra money they get into reducing the petrol taxes! lol i know, stop dreaming

Twin Horns 8-9/74 and lower horn dated 7-8/74, GT hubcaps. GT aircleaner. Please pm me if you can help
xe351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2008, 12:57 PM   #14
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbs19
All thats going to happen is now they will move onto bottles and mix it themselves now which will be worse cause the mix isn't going to be consistent.
Bingo! ^^

The mix will be stronger - and as they get more intoxicated the mix will be clouded more - with more alcohol that is. They'll have half a dozen drinks, but half the bottle of spirits will be gone too.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2008, 01:15 PM   #15
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

back in my day....no boday bothered with premixed drinks....people who wanted to get smashed bought a bottle of rum...$60 for 2, a 2 liter bottle of pepsi...1.90 drank or emptied 800mls out of the pepsi then toped with rum...how likely is it that teenagers would pay 60+ a slab when they can get shitfaced for alot less....
Old 04-05-2008, 01:19 PM   #16
DDXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbit
back in my day....no boday bothered with premixed drinks....people who wanted to get smashed bought a bottle of rum...$60 for 2, a 2 liter bottle of pepsi...1.90 drank or emptied 800mls out of the pepsi then toped with rum...how likely is it that teenagers would pay 60+ a slab when they can get shitfaced for alot less....
The problem is all the metrosexuals, and the ditzy young bimbo's. Cruisers, baacardi breezers, smirnoff vodka premixes ... a hell of alot easier than the method you prescribed.
Old 04-05-2008, 01:24 PM   #17
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

So is it young girls where most of the problems lie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan635
The problem is all the metrosexuals, and the ditzy young bimbo's. Cruisers, baacardi breezers, smirnoff vodka premixes ... a hell of alot easier than the method you prescribed.
Old 04-05-2008, 01:32 PM   #18
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dunno, I paid 10 bux for a crownie in a club before, good thing I wasnt buying a round.

Binge drinkers are usually under 20 years of age, over 18 they generallly are thinning out. Still get occasional heavy drinkers but not many bingers.

I remember hitting the turps at parties when I was 15-17 and sure as hell no one rocked up with a carton of jim beam and cola. Most of the "binge drinkers" there were drinking PassionPop (2 bottles for $10), cask wine, or a bottle of spirits of some sort, maily the cheaper ones around the 20-25 dollar mark (old crow, real mccoy, Vat 69, grants etc...).

Its also funny, In the NT when they were to reform alcohol sales to prevent drunk itinerants (indigenous) they stopped alot of the cask wine and port sales in certain bottle shops that were hotspots, yet they targer binge drinking by taxing 80 a carton stuff a few bucks more, not that many people would by it in the first place.

If they were serious about this, they wouldnt just tax it out of reach, they would actually make steps in the right direction too. Raising the drinking age will do nothing, better education and perhaps limiting the quantities they can be bought in.

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2008, 01:34 PM   #19
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

In the study they did, yes they found young women to be more likely to binge drink.

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2008, 01:51 PM   #20
67XRT

Default At what cost

Why penalise everyone under the same taxes when 95% of the population would not be binge drinking?

I'm a beer drinker, love nothing more than 1-2 beers after work to unwind, so it wont hit me too hard (yet), but still like a can of CC and dry or JD here and there, and unfortunately - won't be the case anymore when im having to pay $25+ a six pack or $10 a can in a pub/club.[/QUOTE]

Try living in the NT, initialy provided licence for any purchase of alcohol in excess of $100, (or fortified spirits/wine), complete form stating where alcohol is to be consumed. and sign as having acknowledged conditions that it not be taken to specific areas. Transport from Bottle shop to stated address and consume (you can technically be done for deviating from the stated address). Now they are talking about you providing drivers licence for every purchase of alcohol regardless of quantity or type, restrictions on quantity, greater restrictions on trading hours and god knows what else they come up with.

Know I know the reasoning behind the restrictions. But come on, I am a rsponsible drinker, I dont get smashed and fall asleep in the main street of town, wander out in front of cars, beat the missus up in the aisle at woolworths, defecate in the street or a shop. Why is it that the majority of law abiding citizens suffer for the benefit of a minority. Yes some people for what ever reason have a problem with alcohol so be it.

How about a licence to purchase alcohol, you can get banned from a pub for innapropriate behaviour, tap off. You can lose the right to drive your car for disobeying the law of the land, lose licence. So why not provide a document to state you are a fit individual capable of the correct use of said consumable. Stuff up and that privalage (not right) is removed.

If I have problem with alcohol, disturb the peace, commit a crime, be it minor or criminal, assault another human being, the route cause is still available for me to legally purchase and repeat the action. "I dont know what happened must have been the Grog!"

Now thousands of people are effected for the benefit of the few....... Governments need to take a long hard look and address the real issue that there are individuals who are not capable of conducting themselves in society in a normal way and require restrictions be placed upon them until such time as they can prove otherwise. Do not tar me with the same brush, rant over
67XRT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2008, 02:05 PM   #21
XlR8TED

It's not to stop teen binge drinkers, it's just to raise revenue.

Speaking in economic terms, alcohol tends to be an inelastic good. That is, for any given price increase, the change in demand for it won't be too big. You'll still get lots of people buying it. Inelastic goods are great to tax (think petrol & ciggies for other examples).

Perhaps the problem they should be addressing is how under-age teenage binge drinkers get their booze? Stiffer penalties for grog shops selling to underage kids could be a good start.

Overall though, I think the real root of the problem is the aussie alcohol culture. Any public holiday is an excuse to get sh!t-faced. Celebrating? Better get drunk then too. The old saying of 'monkey see, monkey do' rings true. Even The Canberra Times had an editorial today saying that it would be 'unastrayan' to tax beer. That's pretty sad.

"How about a licence to purchase alcohol"

Do you really want the Government regulating how you can buy alcohol? More rules are rarely the best solution.
XlR8TED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2008, 02:29 PM   #22
67XRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRSex

"How about a licence to purchase alcohol"

Do you really want the Government regulating how you can buy alcohol? More rules are rarely the best solution.
They already have in the NT, and I would imagine its not far off in other states. It is an imbuggerance at the moment however, there are a group of Publicans that are putting together a class action WRT the regulations that are effecting there abilty to effect profitable trade and to which they have had no means of recourse / input to date. Again legislation that has a greater more wide reaching effect than that of the initial point of concern, Adult binge drinking, anti social behaviour.

Publicans are obliged to monitor and control the consumption of alcohol on their establishments already through legislation, now they have to restrict trading hours, minimise / regulate over the counter sales, restricitons on alcohol type, etc.

So yes i do want the government to regulate how alcohol is purchased however it should be responsible, fair and target the problem, not stuff around 98% of the population who obey the laws.
67XRT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2008, 02:31 PM   #23
DDXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes, multiple recent studies and surveys clearly show females 18-25 are the biggest binge drinking group.
Old 04-05-2008, 02:47 PM   #24
myxr6
Banned

I for one am sick of the government pandering to the minority.Why should I be penalised because the government wants to stop a group of deadheads getting drunk.
myxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2008, 02:57 PM   #25
JamesR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well i quit drinking near on 3 years ago..
and it looks like im not start again any time soooooon.

my photo blog;
http://www.jamesruff.net
JamesR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2008, 03:09 PM   #26
NudgE^SIKBRO
Never late with a V8

I personally think something needs to be done about the bindge drinking thing. Im a non drinker (ill have a few cans on my birthday and MAYBE new years) but i dont think taxing is the best way to go, I think that grog is alot like petrol, people want/need it they will get it. However I believe the problems need to be tackled in school much more than it is today. Children from year 7 should be tought in far more detail the problems associated with drinking, the real problems, street voilence, sexual offences to women and the general bodily harm caused by drinking. I remember when i was in school (only about 9 years ago) drinking was just as much of a problem as it is today but it wasent really discussed with us as students we were told simply its bad dont do it. I just spoke with my youngest cousin (year 11) and asked him what they have been taught. He told me that what they were told was exactly what i was told. Doesnt sound like a step in the right direction to me...

Cheers Dan

(Daily)2004 Explorer V8 Limited
(Work) 2014 Kenworth K200 Aerodyne
(Classic) 1969 Mini K, 1340, twin SU's
The beginning is near!!!

Body by Ford. Soul by NudgE
NudgE^SIKBRO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2008, 03:17 PM   #27
Scott

Petrol may be expensive to run your car on but as a mixer, it's as cheap as it gets.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2008, 03:23 PM   #28
Kil4Collingwood

Hah this tax grab, lets face it that's what it is a morally corrupt government profiting.

This tax grab is just the tip of the iceberg for what will no doubt be coming, wall to wall labor governments (none of which can manage money) leaves me with no doubt the GST will rise within K.Rudd's first term, people will and moan about it, then vote him back in at the next election, just like the people of Victoria who continue to vote in the pack of incompetants we have running the state.

Sorry I just have no confidence in Labor to steer the country through the tough economic times ahead

Last edited by Kil4Collingwood; 04-05-2008 at 03:35 PM.
Kil4Collingwood is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2008, 03:38 PM   #29
redranga

Ive just been looking at Boozle at how much the prices have gone up. Its crap.
redranga is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2008, 03:45 PM   #30
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by police
Ive just been looking at Boozle at how much the prices have gone up. Its crap.
OH MY GOD!! Last carton of Bundy cans I bought was about 6 weeks ago. I paid $55 for it. I hadn't checked Bundy on boozle but just did and the best price in my area is $76.

edit - just widened my search and found Spiro's at Toowong dor $49.99. Might go for a drive me thinks.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post