Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-08-2020, 11:54 AM   #1
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Jim Farley interview

Good to see a passionate car guy back in charge, and not an outsider. Interesting mentioning Ford's tie up with Mahindra as a potential way to get hold of cheaper vehicles to sell.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...ceo-interview/

In a one-on-one conversation with Autoweek, Ford's soon-to-be-CEO talks about what he has planned, including making more Fords people can afford.

BY WES RAYNAL
AUG 18, 2020

The car world has had more than a week to digest the news that Jim Farley will become Ford’s CEO beginning October 2. We've seen him driving his Cobra, Lola, and GT40 at vintage races here and in Europe, and everybody saw his family's 1955 Lancia Aurelia B20 GT coupe on the lawn at Pebble Beach last year. He spends as much free time as possible at concours and car shows. It's also been widely reported that the company stock price and profit have been dropping for basically three years in a row, so he has big challenges ahead. Pundits have weighed in with plenty of advice in the past several days, as they will, including "take the company private," "make sure the Mach-E and Bronco launches go right," and "keep maneuvering the company through COVID."

We figured a good way to find out what needs to be done is to ask Farley himself, so we reached out to him to get his thoughts. He still answers his own phone.

"I can't wait to launch these products," Farley told Autoweek a few days after the CEO announcement. "Bronco and Mach-E couldn't be more different, but they're cool in their own ways. We have more to come, actually. We've been so busy the last three years getting these to market and we couldn't talk about it, and that was very difficult.

"Everyone wanted to talk about us getting out of sedans, like Focus," he told us. "And you can imagine what I was thinking, 'Do you want a Bronco Sport or do you want a Focus?' "

Farley told Autoweek that the Mach-E and Bronco launches are critical in part because they are opportunities for new customers. He said that growing Ford is ". . . most important. There are a lot of new opportunities to grow that people wouldn't think of in a traditional OEM.

"I've gotten to see the world of technology and how ambitious they are toward our business. That intersection between technology and car making is what I'm really excited about—using that connection to really spin up new businesses that we're not in today and using it for taking our current businesses and supercharging them."

He cited electric-truck maker Rivian.

"If I was a reporter, I'd be spending all my time at Rivian. Not for the Rivian side but for that Amazon van," Farley told us. Rivian, in which Ford has a half-billion-dollar investment, eventually plans on delivering 100,000 electric delivery vans to Amazon (it, too, has an enormous stake in Rivian). The deal is the largest single EV order yet.

"Everyone always talked about the Apple car. Now we have a well-funded technology company that's going to be making automobiles in Indiana in very high volumes in the most profitable segment of our industry in the U.S.

"They will not use dealers," Farley continued. "They will go to a different model. The charging structure that Elon [Musk] built will not work for them. They need to charge in metro markets where those vans will be delivering packages.

"For me, the connected car, software, charging infrastructure, onboard technology—all of that is going to result in a very different business and a very different customer experience, especially on the commercial side, and for Ford that commercial side is critical."

"Bring More Affordable Vehicles to North America"
In addition to growing the commercial side, Farley told us he wants Fords to become more accessible. "As critical as the commercial side is, our ambition is to bring more affordable vehicles to North America. We're good at our market share above $35,000; we have a tremendous opportunity to offer more affordable vehicles. With the Mahindra relationship [Ford and Mahindra signed a joint-venture agreement in 2019], we have a real chance at that."

Farley, who has been credited with leading Ford through the unprecedented manufacturing shutdown and restart caused by COVID-19, also told us the company is getting through the pandemic as well as can be expected. "Our plants are at about 97 percent production," he said, pointing out that Ford has had a bit of an issue with absenteeism both in the plants and the supply base. "We've been working through a lot of issues over the last two months or so, but we're getting back up to speed."

Last week Autoweek said having Farley in charge of Ford can "only be a good thing" for us car enthusiasts, and there certainly is no shortage of support from that camp.

"I could not be more excited," Bruce Meyer told Autoweek. Meyer, the alpha car collector who has a hand in making just about every fun car event on the West Coast happen, knows everyone.

"I'm on the board of the Henry Ford Museum with Bill Ford and Edsel, and I sent an enthusiastic congratulations to Bill, and he wrote back how excited he was," Meyer told us. "So I think everybody at Ford has to be thrilled about having a real car guy at the helm. Farley is that real car guy, and he bleeds Ford blue. Jim and I were friends when he was at Toyota. He called me when he had the opportunity of leaving Toyota and, by the way, he was in line for a big job at Toyota. And he literally left that huge opportunity to go to where his heart is. And that's at Ford Motor Company. So I always admired him for that leap of faith and love. If there's anybody that can make it right there, it's him.

"He's not afraid to make bold moves. And even though he is an enthusiast and probably, if it were up to him, they'd all be performance cars and race cars, he's smart enough to know what sells and how to trim the line down and how to bring it down to the bottom line. And that’s what Ford needs."

"He's just a great old hot-rodder," original hot-rod hero Alex Xydias told Autoweek. So-Cal Speed Shop founder Xydias met Farley years ago at the Autoweek dinner at the SEMA show in Las Vegas. "From the way Edsel [Ford II] was talking about Farley at the dinner you could tell he was on his way up the chain.

"He's a helluva businessman, no doubt," he told us.

"If I had to count on one hand the brightest people I’ve ever worked with, those who just were really unique people who knew what was going on, that would be Jim Lentz and Jim Farley," former Lexus boss Bryan Bergsteinsson told Autoweek. "Different people but really bright people. Farley was always looking for a new challenge. Never, never was satisfied, didn't want to do the same thing over and over again," he told us. "The best and brightest people reframe their jobs all the time."

"It's not a job to Jim," Meyer added. "It's a passion."

After our chat with Farley he said he was off to Laguna Seca to race his Cobra. "I told Bill [Ford] I'd love to serve the company in this new position, but I have to be able to race. It's my yoga."
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 25-08-2020, 12:14 PM   #2
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Jim Farley interview

Sound like a good start....I wonder if he'd be receptive to a "impassioned" letter from us AFF members about some product planning decisions he could influence for Oz.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 25-08-2020, 12:41 PM   #3
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Good to see a passionate car guy back in charge, and not an outsider. Interesting mentioning Ford's tie up with Mahindra as a potential way to get hold of cheaper vehicles to sell.
Does this mean rebadged Mahindra's?
Old 25-08-2020, 12:48 PM   #4
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

yer this sounds alot better than the past......
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2020, 02:06 PM   #5
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
More likely joint venture vehicles, but built in India imo.

They couldn't sell what they have now. Simply do not suit US tastes. But I would make the assumption they could take some of the XUV models, add US styling and set them up better to suit US driving tastes, and it may be possible. They also have a small SUV EV coming late next year.

There must be some reason Ford bought into them. Initially it was to help Ford in the Indian market, cause Mahindra are much more successful in making cheap, profitable vehicles there than Ford are. So possibly piggy back off that work.

Many people have already pointed out that the cheapest Fords here are getting pricey now, and there are no entry level models. So may be possible to leverage them to get some cheap and cheery stuff here to sell at the bottom end, and still make a bit of profit on. It's not like it hasn't been done in the past with the Festiva for example.

Can't let the Koreans have it all their own way on the bottom end I suppose.

Last edited by Bossxr8; 25-08-2020 at 02:12 PM.
Old 25-08-2020, 05:32 PM   #6
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

This is the second time that Ford has got its fingers burned in India and had to pull out.

Having Mahindra as a partner is basically face saving and offering bulk production of
their products rebadged and an easy sale in the home market and maybe South America.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2020, 08:55 PM   #7
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Are Mahindra the sam who make the mid fifties Morris Oxford.
Old 25-08-2020, 09:31 PM   #8
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah, I don't know, sounds like another iteration of the Cronyism that has always plagued Ford.
Every time they get somebody with the Guts, Brains, and Vision to actually take the company forward (like Nassar) he offends all the Old-Boys, and ends up getting the ****.
This user likes this post:
Old 26-08-2020, 08:08 AM   #9
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
But I can already buy a new Ford Trader / Mazda T from India.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2020, 09:39 AM   #10
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

Just hope the bean counters don't kill his vision and spirit, be interesting to see if there are any wins planned for the colony re new products..
The "do you want a focus or bronco" comment was interesting... I guess that means that the focus is a dodo too?
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2020, 12:32 PM   #11
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
This is the second time that Ford has got its fingers burned in India and had to pull out.

Having Mahindra as a partner is basically face saving and offering bulk production of
their products rebadged and an easy sale in the home market and maybe South America.
They haven't pulled out of India though. They are still manufacturing there, and have an R&D centre as well.
Old 26-08-2020, 02:28 PM   #12
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au2000 View Post
Just hope the bean counters don't kill his vision and spirit, be interesting to see if there are any wins planned for the colony re new products..
The "do you want a focus or bronco" comment was interesting... I guess that means that the focus is a dodo too?
In the US they dropped the Focus...which was originally to going to be switched to Chinese production and imported back to the US iirc. I'm not sure but I also think some negative public comments from the US president, (the one that tweets, not the FoMoCo president ) also had an influence on switching production. Then finally came the decision to kill all passenger cars in N/A.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2020, 06:11 PM   #13
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
Are Mahindra the sam who make the mid fifties Morris Oxford.
No that was Hindustan Motors, the Ambassador finished in 2014 and the name sold to PSA in 2017
Old 26-08-2020, 06:22 PM   #14
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
In the US they dropped the Focus...which was originally to going to be switched to Chinese production and imported back to the US iirc. I'm not sure but I also think some negative public comments from the US president, (the one that tweets, not the FoMoCo president ) also had an influence on switching production. Then finally came the decision to kill all passenger cars in N/A.
Original plan was to add Focus to Fusion at Hermosillo and new products at Cuautitlan and San Louis Potosi.
Car sales started to on the skids so Ford cancelled SLP, Focus, Fusion and Fiesta so it could build new
products in existing Mexican plants. Ford then saved $500 million by sourcing Focus from China but then
Trump picked a fight with Chynah.. The aim was to use the imported Focus Active as the new US Focus
but it crashed in clinics , the yanks virtually throttled the Fusion to death with a modest makeover in 2015.
This user likes this post: