Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 02:09 PM   #1
Bulandgoose

Default Requiem for a 2000 AU Fairmont. Going cheap...

Sadly my old warrior is rapidly reaching its use by date (Nov 5 when the rego runs out).
I've had it it for about 6 years, when my brother-in-law gave it to me after they offered him virtually nothing for it as a trade-in.
It's done about 340,000km, most of that by a lady owner on country roads around Windsor NSW, so the motor is still in excellent condition (no oil leaks, exhaust smoke or anything). It's only vice is that it keeps developing transmission oil leaks, which never stay fixed.
It's had new brakes and discs, new Air-Con compressor, (climate control display is shot so you have to guess, but it keeps you cold in the hottest summer). The doors and windows all work, central locking and remote boot all OK, and I even found the hardly-used spare remote. Fuel pump and power steering replaced just before I got it.
It's Congo green and starting to suffer lacquer peel in a big way, the roof lining is held on with a lot of PK screws, her kids trashed the upholstery somewhat and the rear window demister was never re-connected when the window was replaced (I presume). The ABS light keeps coming on intermittently, and there's a scrape on the passenger side rear door.
After she inherited some money my wife insisted on buying me a brand new Hyundai Sonata, and it was supposed to be delivered about the time the rego ran out last March, but there was a delay so I had to re-register the Fairmont another 6 months, but that's where it ends I'm afraid.
I could advertise it I know, but it's really too much trouble for not much return.
It still runs very well, and you don't get too many second hand cars that vintage with Air Con that actually works and is likely to continue to do so.
I live in Riverstone NSW if anybody is interested. You can have it for $500 as is, where is, rego active until Nov 5.
Ironically, my sister-in-law is now looking at trading in the Mazda she bought to replace the Fairmont, for a Hyundai same as mine. It would have been priceless to have been still driving the old car she gave up on when she got her new car, but no such luck :-)
Old 11-10-2016, 02:30 PM   #2
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 
Default Re: Requiem for a 2000 AU Fairmont. Going cheap...

Before the mods slap your wrist, you'll need to put this in the proper for sale section, with pictures.
Old 11-10-2016, 02:34 PM   #3
Bulandgoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox View Post
Before the mods slap your wrist, you'll need to put this in the proper for sale section, with pictures.
Ah! I looked for something like that, but couldn't see anything. OK, I'll take a couple of pictures and re-post
Old 11-10-2016, 02:41 PM   #4
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

This is the section you want, click New Thread and you're away.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/forumdisplay.php?f=41
Old 11-10-2016, 02:45 PM   #5
Bulandgoose

OK. Strictly speaking, this isn't your normal sale; it's just a opportunity for someone to get their hands onto a usable car that's otherwise going to the scrap yard.
Old 11-10-2016, 02:48 PM   #6
Sox
RIP...

It still has rego, still drives, I'd put it there anyhow.
Someone may resurrect it, or not.

There isn't any other place you can sell a car, except in the dismantling section, and you're not dismantling, so...
Old 11-10-2016, 03:16 PM   #7
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox View Post
Corrrect! Thanks Sox
Closed Thread