Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Laser and Telstar

Old 03-11-2009, 01:21 PM   #1
jez77
Starter Motor

Default laser (smoke problems)

i an recently have problems with alot of smoke comming from the exhaust when i first start my 1991 laser up it has started since i have put new oil in the car i was wondering if it may be a prob with the oil or what else could it be??

jez77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2009, 04:19 PM   #2
wesso
Telstar TX/5 AX2

Question Need more info from you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jez77
i an recently have problems with alot of smoke comming from the exhaust when i first start my 1991 laser up it has started since i have put new oil in the car i was wondering if it may be a prob with the oil or what else could it be??
Does it only blow smoke when you first start the engine or does it keep blowing once it has been running for a little while?

1. If it only blows smoke after starting... Chances are that the valve stem seals are gone and need replacing. There may be other problems but that's where I would start looking.
  2. If it continues to blow smoke after engine has been running for a little while it could mean that the rings are gone and need replacing. Again there may be other problems that cause this but that is where I would start looking.
You may need to give us more information... Like the grade of oil that you have put in the car and answers to the two questions listed above.

Cheers

Wayne
Old 03-11-2009, 09:45 PM   #3
fairmont1998
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What colour smoke too? White, black, blue?

2012 KK Jeep Cherokee Limited CRD - Still going strong
2019 MG ZS Essence
1988 RD Mitsubishi Colt GL - 59kW of Fury
2022 Kia Stinger GT
fairmont1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2009, 12:56 AM   #4
jez77
Starter Motor

it blow's alot of smoke when first started and for a little while when has been running for a while then eventually stops. and the colour is like a lite black/ gray kinda colour

thx for help
jez77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2009, 01:22 AM   #5
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As mentioned above, what is the grade of oil you put in it?
rag top is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2009, 10:33 AM   #6
wesso
Telstar TX/5 AX2

Question What grade of oil did you use??

You said that you put new oil in the car (engine) so I have to ask this question... How long had it been since the last oil change??
This could make a huge difference because if it had been a while and you had only topped it up along the way then my bet is that the valve stem seals have worn and the old oil may have been thick enough not to run (or seep) past the oil seals.
What happens is when the engine is running the oil is spread very finely on the valve stems to keep them lubricated as with any moving part in an engine. When the engine is stopped the oil will run back down the valve stems and pool against the oil seals and when the seals are worn the oil passes by into the spark chamber of the head.
Now sometimes you may have a few seals that are more worn than others which is why sometimes you might get a relatively clean start yet other times it's like somebody has set off a tear gas canister behind the car.
If you think this may be the case then I would suggest that you take your car into a qualified mechanic and get them to sort it out for you. I'm pretty sure that it is a head off job and unless you have a good workshop with the right tools and a good aptitude towards mechanical work, you may not be able to complete the job.

Cheers
Wayne