Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Laser and Telstar

Old 31-08-2009, 09:18 AM   #1
shaneo79

Default What is that knocking?

Hi guys,

I have an 02 KQ Laser which the wife drives to and from the station every day with about 124,000 k's on the clock.

It has been mechanically fine and when we bought it about 14 months ago we spent about $700.00 fixing a few bits and pieces etc.

I had to drive it on the weekend and noticed that when turning left at around 30-40 k's an hour or so, there is a reasonably noticable knocking noise coming from the front right wheel or something in that area.

Any ideas? Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Old 31-08-2009, 04:16 PM   #2
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

I've had two laser's both KJ hatchback's and both of them had this knock you mention, doesn't seem to affect it so I havn't worried about it to much but I know what you mean, it's annoying.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2009, 01:02 PM   #3
shaneo79

Thanks for that.

I will be taking it to the mechanic soon so will let you know what the noise ends up being....you might be curious to know.

It might be a suspension component as my wife now tells me that the steering wheel is becomming a little more "shakey".
Old 01-09-2009, 05:48 PM   #4
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Yeah I will be interested to know what it turn's out to be, thank's mate.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2009, 12:08 AM   #5
Linz
*SILVER SERVICE PILOT*
Donating Member1

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: For his technical submissions. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with good, solid advice. 

Might be a CV joint on the way out.

https://www.fordforums.com.au/showth...71#post6891271

2006 Lightning Strike BF Fairlane Ghia...HIS

2024 Titan Grey Hyundai Tucson Highlander...HERS
Linz is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2009, 02:10 PM   #6
shaneo79

Ah...thanks for that Linz.

I had one at the rear recently replaced but still haven't gotten around to booking it in for this front issue.

Will certainly post a reply when I have the answer.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:20 PM   #7
wesso
Telstar TX/5 AX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneo79
Hi guys,

I have an 02 KQ Laser which the wife drives to and from the station every day with about 124,000 k's on the clock.

It has been mechanically fine and when we bought it about 14 months ago we spent about $700.00 fixing a few bits and pieces etc.

I had to drive it on the weekend and noticed that when turning left at around 30-40 k's an hour or so, there is a reasonably noticable knocking noise coming from the front right wheel or something in that area.

Any ideas? Has anyone else had a similar problem?
I have experienced this problem first hand but it was with a 4X4. What happens is the CV joint has a rut wear into the main knuckle where the main race of balls run on it. After a while this rut wears deeper and when you turn the steering it means that the ball race has to then cross the rut which causes a clicking/knocking noise which gets louder the more it wears.
This problem seems to be worse in 4X4 vehicles that are continuously run with the front hubs locked. However I have also heard it in a few front wheel drive cars that have done a lot of kilometers.

Cheers
Wayne