Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-02-2010, 08:43 PM   #1
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 
Default SA - Southern Expressway to finally go both ways

As of today, the news came thru that Mike Rann has promised the Southern Expressway to go both ways instead of the joke that it has been for the last 10 years, right before the election in SA. Typical

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/poli...-1225831406611

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2010, 10:53 PM   #2
Ibrox90
Banned

Thank The Lord

HIS
THUNDER
2004 BA XR8
Blueprint

Mods:
Quad Exhaust, Hi-Flow Air filter, BFtiming chain tensioners, Billet Oil pump gears
stage 2 shift kit, riding on G6ET 18's

HERS
FLASH
BA MKII XR6 Turbo
Phantom Purple
Typhoon front end

Parking your ford after a long day of being Awesome
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Parkin...37774932974038
Ibrox90 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2010, 11:21 PM   #3
sarrge2001
SZII in Silhouette

But it was only ever designed to spread the load from South Road between Noarlunga to Darlington during peak hour and it works well!

In my opinion, they would be better off spending that money making the road to Victor Harbor dual lane, or trying to fix the mess that is South Road from Melrose Park to Torrens Road.

Strangers have the best candy.......
sarrge2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2010, 11:51 PM   #4
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'll believe it when I see it but pray for it to happen at least, living down south I regularly track up/down the expressway. Ive lost count how many times I've missed it. Its OK up south and only trek down and up for work, but when youe constantly travelling doing things you'll miss it 5 times out of 10.
ea90gl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2010, 02:47 AM   #5
dom_105
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And South Australia continue to make tentative steps towards the 21st Century.
dom_105 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2010, 06:39 AM   #6
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom_105

yeah, we'll just go one era at a time though and try to make the 20th century first!
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2010, 07:53 AM   #7
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Curious to what extent the loss of business to businesses at Darlington, O'Halloran Hill will have as less vehicles will be passing these establishments as a result of the expressway having both directions at the same time?
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2010, 08:31 AM   #8
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Get ready for the complimentary tax hike/ bitumen levy to pay for this one........
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2010, 08:37 AM   #9
Barry_v
rocknrolla

I think they should scrap that idea and build another football stadium. or maybe some more trams.
Barry_v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2010, 09:21 AM   #10
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Maybe they should have done it in the first place. I think it's a great idea, but the money is better spent elsewhere. South road congestion problems and victor harbor road for starters.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2010, 10:11 AM   #11
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggypoppin'
Maybe they should have done it in the first place. I think it's a great idea, but the money is better spent elsewhere. South road congestion problems and victor harbor road for starters.

The problem with South Road is there's bugger all room left to widen it. To do anything meaningful you'd have to demolish every house and business' down one side and rip out all the stobie poles to make room and that ain't going to happen cos it would cost way too much to buy up the land let alone all the other associated demolition and construction costs.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2010, 10:57 AM   #12
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Save a billion by revamping the RAH instead of building a new one, save another half a billion by not doing the expressway in both direction and you already have 1 and a half billion to tackle South Road.

Everything else is bandaid steps until South road it tackled.

Everytime I vist Adelaide I am staggered that you guys put up with having South Road as the main thouroughfare across the metro area, you have to stop every 30 secs for traffic lights. it should have on ramps and off ramps and a lot less intersections.

Oh and one more thing, why is Anzac Hwy and Port Rd rated at only 60kmh? those roads would be 70 or 80 anywhere else. Adelaide sure loves their low speed limits.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2010, 12:24 PM   #13
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

South Road has always been an issue.

What if the SEW was to add 1 more lane to its 3 lanes,fit a concrete barrier in between (ala Dyson road hallett cove road) and run 2 lanes either way

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2010, 12:38 PM   #14
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

I hear you bushbasher, it's not going to happen I don't think. For one, my work is on south road, and I don't think knocking it down will be very good for me. Two, I guess it's just a dream to see it 3 lanes wide :( . I drive back streets mostly though so it's not so bad.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 18-02-2010, 12:41 PM   #15
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think South RD wont have to necessarily be widened, its two lanes each way, it just needs to have slip lanes and underpasses/overpasses put in to get rid of traffic lights.
Old 18-02-2010, 12:48 PM   #16
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Daws and south intersection, Richmond and south, sir don brad and south..to name but a few
Game. Reinvented.

Old 18-02-2010, 01:10 PM   #17
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen

Everytime I vist Adelaide I am staggered that you guys put up with having South Road as the main thouroughfare across the metro area, you have to stop every 30 secs for traffic lights.

Unlike Paramatta Road in Sydney once you get to the end of the freeway heading into the city. :rolleyes:

I used to complain endlessly about Adelaide traffic, especially peak hour.......... until I came to NSW and tried to go up Paramatta Rd. Adelaide at peak hour is less painful than Paramatta road ANYTIME, and peak hour just magnifies the problem. After driving around Sydney on an average week day I'll never complain about Adelaide traffic again. Driving around Adelaide during the week is like driving in Sydney on a sunday. Driving around Adelaide on a sunday is like cruising a country town by comparison. And don't even get me started on the highways and byways in NSW, they're a disgrace, give me SA anytime.

I wanna go home :( :( :(

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2010, 02:52 PM   #18
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher

And don't even get me started on the highways and byways in NSW, they're a disgrace, give me SA anytime.
+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher

I wanna go home :( :( :(

Bushbasher
+2
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2010, 03:33 PM   #19
prydey
Rob

you east coast guys need to remember that adelaide is a lot smaller population and business wise than over there. the city probably doesn't need expressways and freeways going everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
What if the SEW was to add 1 more lane to its 3 lanes,fit a concrete barrier in between (ala Dyson road hallett cove road) and run 2 lanes either way
can't happen. if they had some forethought when they built it, they would've made all the overpasses wider 'just in case'!! all the overpasses are only wide enough for the 3 lanes and emergency lanes each side.
Old 18-02-2010, 03:56 PM   #20
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah it would be good if the Expressway would go both ways, like it should have done from the start. Would have been cheaper to do it right the first time!

But Rann dosn't want a drag strip so he's not getting my vote expressway or not!!!
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2010, 03:58 PM   #21
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey

can't happen. if they had some forethought when they built it, they would've made all the overpasses wider 'just in case'!! all the overpasses are only wide enough for the 3 lanes and emergency lanes each side.
I actually thought it was designed to do just that, when it was opened it was mentioned that in the future if it was to go both ways there was more than enough width on the road, bridges and overpasses to add an extra lane. The government at the time said it was 'future proofed'.

Working in this kind of field, it would be highly unlikely on a project that big that there wouldnt be enough width to add an extra lane in case it was decided to make it both ways in the future.
Old 18-02-2010, 04:27 PM   #22
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
I actually thought it was designed to do just that, when it was opened it was mentioned that in the future if it was to go both ways there was more than enough width on the road, bridges and overpasses to add an extra lane. The government at the time said it was 'future proofed'.

Working in this kind of field, it would be highly unlikely on a project that big that there wouldnt be enough width to add an extra lane in case it was decided to make it both ways in the future.

if this was the case, why are they talking about 'duplicating' the southern expressway, and not just 'widening it'??

from reynella going south, it is only 2 lanes.

brazen - do you live in adelaide and drive on the expressway? do you know how the govt do things in adelaide??

this is a desparate attempt by our premier to stay in power. he's fiddled around with another woman and is now getting his pants pulled down, so he is trying to divert attention elsewhere. i would rather put up with a one way road a little longer if it meant 'media mike' got the boot.
Old 18-02-2010, 04:45 PM   #23
magoo66
JAFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom_105
At least we don't have to pay any tolls to drive on our roads.
magoo66 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2010, 08:55 PM   #24
montyv8
Turbo Dinosaur FTMFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggypoppin'
Maybe they should have done it in the first place.
I think they couldn't afford to do it in the first place, as they were still paying off the debt Labor left for them? Correct me if i'm wrong, i wasn't even in this country back then lol..

But yeah, +1 for spending on victor hbr rd, hospitals, schools etc first.. It's sad when things such as a new footy stadium take priority :
Old 18-02-2010, 09:39 PM   #25
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bout bloody time! I could not believe it when I first visited Adelaide - a peak hour freeway??
Personally I think the Govt needs to build a better freeway through the guts of the metro area (Residents will HATE this idea as there homes would be destroyed to do it)
Here in Perth the Govt in the past has demolished whole stretches of blocks to accomodate new highways and freeways costing up to nearly A million dollars per few meters. Huge uproars but years down the track the benifits are huge for the local community and the state.
ALong with the two way freeway plan they should steer away from motor car improvements and expand the Oh Barn (excuse the spelling)
Fingers crossed for you guys tho with the two way freeway.
- just keep an eye out on kids dropping stuff from over passes onto cars as mentioned in a previous thread.

Click here to see my ute
fordOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2010, 06:36 AM   #26
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyv8
I think they couldn't afford to do it in the first place, as they were still paying off the debt Labor left for them? Correct me if i'm wrong, i wasn't even in this country back then lol..
that would be ironic because i've heard a lot of mud being thrown liberals way due to them being in power when it was built.
Old 19-02-2010, 08:03 AM   #27
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

About time, are the opposition doing the same thing though.. Not sure im voting labour again..
Old 19-02-2010, 09:24 AM   #28
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
if this was the case, why are they talking about 'duplicating' the southern expressway, and not just 'widening it'??

from reynella going south, it is only 2 lanes.

brazen - do you live in adelaide and drive on the expressway? do you know how the govt do things in adelaide??

this is a desparate attempt by our premier to stay in power. he's fiddled around with another woman and is now getting his pants pulled down, so he is trying to divert attention elsewhere. i would rather put up with a one way road a little longer if it meant 'media mike' got the boot.

Yeah visit Adelaide very often and was actually born there, I also have family there and a parent who is not too well. They live in the Onkaparinga Hills, so I usually grab a rental car from the airport and jump on the expressway (if its going the right way)

Doing it one way saves a lot more money than first realised. It means that you use a lot less 'freeway standard' pavement which is staggeringly expensive. Also you only need half the number of off ramps and on ramps - these take a huge amount of land and are very expensive to construct. There simply was not enough money at the time, the Olsen govt at the time could only afford to spend as much as they could and it did relieve a huge amount of pressure off South Rd. There number 1 priority was to pay down state debt so the upgrade would have to wait till later.

Yeah your right about the two lanes part from Old Reynella onwards, this shouldnt be a major deal as the major earthworks for the area has already been done. The biggest part will be the extra onramps offramps.

The good news is that it should be bumped up to 110kmh. Knowing Labor though they'l probably put in point-to-point speed cameras on the upgraded road.
Old 20-02-2010, 05:29 AM   #29
awoo87
Starter Motor

Default MATS plan

Anyone remember the MATS plan? Here's a link to what Adelaide should of had & this was in 1968.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropo...ransport_Study
awoo87 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post