Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-02-2010, 08:37 PM   #31
Copie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another bloody fuel thread.

This has been answered before, but for those inept to use the search feature on this forums ill lay it all out.

First up, No fuel is sold in Australia with any kind of ethanol without it being marked as it (ie it must say on the bowser it contains ethanol)

Second: Optimax hasnt been around for years, its V-Power now, which contains NO ethanol at all, and is 98-101 octane (depending on its age and the refinery output) bear in mind that all fuel MUST meet minimum octane requirements before being sold.

Three: Using a particular fuel because XYZ said so is a load of crap, of the big 3 the only difference is BP ultimate, but the difference is so minimal at best it falls within natural variances when it comes to dyno testing etc. And you pay a fairly hefty premium for their advertising.

Four: Your best method of filling up and getting 'the best' fuel is to pick the busiest servo in your local area, as chances are they get more regular loads, and hence the fuel being more 'fresh'. Also high turnover servos are tested more regularly for any bowser and fuel regularity's.

Five: You may gain a small gain in economy and power using 98 over 91, but if you do the math, the price difference works out that 91 still beats it overall. Its your choice what you put in there, but unless it requires a minimum 95 ron (v8's and T6) then your best choice is still 91.

Six: E10 does not damage your fuel system, its a load of croak, for modern EFI cars its perfectly acceptable to use it, only a very small list of cars cannot use it and there is a website dedicated to it. Also E10 almost never has the full 10% as ethanol, its usually from 0-7%, and all E10 is a minimum of 91 octane, but usually ships at 93-96.

Edit: Post above me, read point number one, it is highly illegal to do that, and fuel is tested for it consistantly.
Copie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2010, 01:02 AM   #32
DMXR6T

Gee wiz, soory I forgot that Optimax has been replaced by V-Power!!! A big sin! I have been overseas for 2 months so next time a dare post something related ro Shell fulews I will check their web site first. My comment re some ethanol in V-Power comes from a conversation that I had with a Shell fuel tech some time ago on a plane. Anyway, the bottom line is that E10 is cheaper but gets less distance. With my driving stylr it about breaks even but the benefit to me is 10% renewable. Only a small, if at all noticable, power difference.
DMXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2010, 01:12 AM   #33
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

EDIT

No matter
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2010, 01:48 AM   #34
gtfpv
GT

well i have to stand corrected , some one here said to give the engine time to settle into the tune like 1/4 tank .
i must say this after 50kms on 98 ron . when cruising on the m7/ and m5 to work the ( distance to empty ) figure froze and even went up , my driving style is still the same , same av speed of 57km/hr when i filled the tank up the car said distance to empty 638, after doing 100km the reading said (distance to empty ) 600. and the power differance is now quite a bit , the car has more instant urge and brings the traction control in on takeoff, something i did not notice on E10.
I'LL see what i get this time out of 59-60 litres .
i think i might use E10 and maybe 98 every 4th fill just to perhapd clean the injectors and valves . if that makes sense, if that is not appropriate , let me know .

interesting to note : during the weekly price cycle E10 AND 98 RON can be brought at the same price/ depending on the day you fill up.
i now know that 98 premium is definately a better fuel ( by both seat of pants) and economy. but nothing wrong with E10 at all maybe a little pinging on WOT, i'll recheck this to see if it was my imagination or not . if i notice factual predetination i will stop- using a fuel , regardless of what it is .
i think it predetinated straight out of the servo after filling up with 98 , however it wouldve still had E10 in the fuel lines .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2010, 01:41 PM   #35
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi

Noticed lots of people are comparing 91/98 fuel in this thread. E10 is not 91 RON I dont think. I think it's a minimum of 94RON. The whole idea of adding ethanol to the fuel is to increase its octane rating.

I'd tend to agree there is a vast difference between 91/98 fuel, but what about between 94/98 fuel? I've not yet tried E10 in my FG XR8 but could be tempted to.
SensationFG8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2010, 01:51 PM   #36
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Yangs
What we have to establish here is what brand of E10 you are using because the octane rating varies between brands.
Caltex and BP are 91 Shell is 93 to 94 and United is 95 not sure about Mobil or any others.

BP E10
Old 17-02-2010, 01:55 PM   #37
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensationFG8
Hi

Noticed lots of people are comparing 91/98 fuel in this thread. E10 is not 91 RON I dont think. I think it's a minimum of 94RON. The whole idea of adding ethanol to the fuel is to increase its octane rating.

I'd tend to agree there is a vast difference between 91/98 fuel, but what about between 94/98 fuel? I've not yet tried E10 in my FG XR8 but could be tempted to.

TRY IT AND SEE MATE . if you have a sticker inside your fuel lid saying E10 compatible , i'm sure it wont hurt . interesting to see about E10 being either 91/93/94 RON WTF!!!
CAN ANYBODY CLARIFY . all the servos put up 91 +E10 ON THE SIGNS whatever that means .
the dealer sales rep said it would be better to use standard 91 unleaded rather than E10.
Old 17-02-2010, 02:06 PM   #38
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So being higher Ron does e10 perform beter than 91 Ron unleaded? Albeit higher consumption
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2010, 04:15 PM   #39
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The way I understand it E10 simply refers to 10% ethanol. The octane rating is higher than 91. The FG8 is E10 friendly (apparently) but I dont wanna hurt my baby

I might give it a go for 1/2 a tank...

If anyone who knows about fuel can confirm the RON rating of E10 that'd be helpful too.

This is a bit of a read about E10, certainly explains why it's less efficient (lower energy).

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Ar...9494&pg=4&vf=0

Quote:
Instant expert's guide Research octane number, or RON, is loosely defined as a measure of how much power a fuel can deliver in an engine. The higher the RON, the more power a fuel can produce. Unleaded petrol generally comes in three RON ratings: 91 for basic unleaded, 95 for premium unleaded, and 98 for use in some high-performance engines. Unleaded petrol contains about 32 megajoules of energy per litre. One joule is the amount of energy it takes to lift a one-kilogram weight by 10 centimetres. As a rule of thumb, the lower the number of joules a fuel has, the more fuel a car's engine has to burn to cover the same distance as a higher joule fuel. LPG is a blend of propane and butane gas. It has a RON of between 90-110, but has less stored energy than petrol, about 22 MJ/L. Pure ethanol has a RON of about 115 and produces about 19 MJ/L. An E10 mix of 10 per cent ethanol and 90 per cent unleaded petrol has a RON of about 95 and produces about 23 MJ/L.
SensationFG8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2010, 08:50 PM   #40
Copie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

E10 is minimum 91 octane, but usually ships anywhere from that 91 to 96. It also isnt usually the full 10% ethanol either, it varies from each batch.

I have personally used E10 in my BF XR6T, with no side effects at all, economy was slightly less (20km less on the DTE meter) but felt exactly the same, drove the same, power was the same (well i cant notice the difference between fuels, my butt dyno isnt 'tuned')

FG's will run on standard 91 if its a Turbo 6 or V8, its just not recommended (aka its for emergency use only i think i read in the owners manual)
Copie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post