Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 23-08-2007, 06:45 PM   #1
XWildGT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question 351 toploader fastest

okay what would you expect to get out of a 351 windsor and toploader combo over the quarter mile (not stock) basicly whats the fastest xr/xw/xy using a toploader and 351 windsor know but with no nos street reg

XWildGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2007, 06:48 PM   #2
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

It all depends on the engine, are you talking stock or worked ?
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2007, 06:59 PM   #3
XWildGT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

not stock worked im more concerned what the top loader can handle
Old 23-08-2007, 07:30 PM   #4
XWildGT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

can somone move this to drag racing please
Old 23-08-2007, 08:48 PM   #5
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

My toploader input shafts were breaking on the road with drag radials.
Some people have more luck than me, but i think once you have slicks it's only a matter of time.

This has been discussed before, one meber was doing mid 11's with no trouble for some time, 2 weeks after he posted the shaft broke LOL.
Old 23-08-2007, 08:53 PM   #6
smally289
growing up is optional

Who here from SA can remember Eddie Vodopivec and his XA coupe 'Mr Ed' ?
That had a toploader in it and was very quick! If memory serves me correct, it had liberty gears in it and was mounted upside down!! I hate to think of the HP he was putting thru it.
smally289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2007, 09:00 PM   #7
andreas_xs
GSKOOP

I run 11.500 @ 124mph with a loader and radials. Good fun. Look for XBGS in youtube, though those videos are now fairly old and with the old hydraulic roller cam.

Yes, i twisted the input shaft(standrad shaft), but it did over 30 passes and 5000km. Now have a fine spline input.

loaders are fairly robust when built correctly and when using an appropriate clutch. Stay away from brass buttons!!!!!

Also, don't flat shift!!!!

Will back back to the track for the super nats, with a few suspension changes, hope to run even quicker.
Old 23-08-2007, 09:01 PM   #8
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Andreas, was just talking about you
Old 23-08-2007, 09:12 PM   #9
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

I broke mine on the 3rd pass after building my new stroker motor.
They can be toughened up,but if you dont have one already there are better options for a gearbox nowdays.
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2007, 09:35 PM   #10
andreas_xs
GSKOOP

hi there, been quiet of late.

3700lb of fat coup and 520ft/lb of clevo make a loaders life hard :

touch wood, if i ever damage it again, i will look at a tremec.
Old 23-08-2007, 10:54 PM   #11
FPV70

interesting that a Toploader can break that easy..
Quick question though. Whats the difference between a Toploader and a Bull-Nose Toploader?
I have been told but it was ages ago and can not remember.
Old 23-08-2007, 11:02 PM   #12
northey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Toploaders were a great gearbox and still are. Years back when I thought they were unbreakable mates started putting them in race cars (eg XB hardtop) with slicks and they turned into pretzels even with Liberty kits.

I would run the lightest, softest clutch you can get made for that application if you really want a toploader then it may last a little longer.

When shifted hard the synchros bend, twist, warp; a minor mis-shift often results in a file job needed on the teeth. The shafts twist and break (front and rear) and bearings fail quickly.
northey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2007, 11:15 PM   #13
XWildGT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

reason for the top loader question is i have a gt and didnt want to change the box but i want it to get up a go
Old 24-08-2007, 12:45 AM   #14
rns-11z

i hate the linkages

It was Gossip

Team AMG Cafe menu
Breakfast ///M3
Lunch ///M5
Dinner ///M6
Fruity Desert RS8
rns-11z is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2007, 01:21 AM   #15
TruBlu351
3 Pedals R Better Than 2

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has given endless help in the cleveland section over the years. Knows his stuff and happily tests on the track and gives no fuss results. 

Toploaders are a good box for a relatively warm/hot motor. Price is definitiely on your side compared to a TKO etc. But depending on your performance goals, repairs will add up ;) As mentioned, street tyres & they'll last all day, but slicks will load up the parts.

IF the linkages are looked after and the SHIFTER is kept in good order with all the little moving bits....they can be real smooth.

What 1/4 times did you have in mind for your GT anyway? 10's, 11's 12's?

TruBlu351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2007, 10:17 AM   #16
XWildGT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

would be happy for low 12s
Old 24-08-2007, 12:02 PM   #17
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rns-11z
i hate the linkages
Nothing wrong with the linkages,they can shift heaps better than alot of new boxes,the TKO and T56 for example.
Old 24-08-2007, 06:34 PM   #18
Sledgehammer
Banned

Picking up a good Toploader these days can also be a challenge and then to rebuild it to handle the power can cost about the same as a new box. It could make good sense to use a box like the TKO600 with a 0.82 OD can pick one of these up for less than $3900 these days. Looking at one myself. Only problem is the TL has great shifter choices like a Vertical gate for racing.

What other choices are available then whilst we are on this matter, T10 etc??
Sledgehammer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2007, 08:40 PM   #19
nugget378
Weezland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer
Picking up a good Toploader these days can also be a challenge and then to rebuild it to handle the power can cost about the same as a new box. It could make good sense to use a box like the TKO600 with a 0.82 OD can pick one of these up for less than $3900 these days. Looking at one myself. Only problem is the TL has great shifter choices like a Vertical gate for racing.

There is a sequential shift kit available for the TKO,but your looking at $1200 for it....
Old 24-08-2007, 09:03 PM   #20
bartaxr8

Quote:
I'll be using a Richmond 6 speed ROD in my car. The also make a 5 speed but the 5 speed is direct in top gear while the 6 speed has one overdrive gear.
bartaxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2007, 09:24 PM   #21
Sledgehammer
Banned

Having a look at this also. They survived Nascar for a long time so thats a good thing and I believe a vertical gate is available also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
There is a sequential shift kit available for the TKO,but your looking at $1200 for it....
Who does the sequential shift for the TKO?
Old 24-08-2007, 10:13 PM   #22
toby123
Boosted TQE FTW

A friend of mine has ran 11.2 @ 124mph i think? He's a member here he may post also.. Thats in a XW Fairmont btw..

Project: EF Falcon Turbo... Not long till back on the road.....
toby123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2007, 10:33 AM   #23
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

It would be best to pull the toplaoder out and keep it aside, same with the block.
You don't want to break original parts on a GT, i did and it gives me peace of mind knowing the matching numbers block is safe.
Old 25-08-2007, 11:19 AM   #24
XWildGT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah thats the other option is your gt the one as your aviator
Old 26-08-2007, 04:04 AM   #25
TruBlu351
3 Pedals R Better Than 2

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has given endless help in the cleveland section over the years. Knows his stuff and happily tests on the track and gives no fuss results. 

That's the FC coupe!!

.........and if memory serves me correctly.....one of the last wheel raising days of the 'loader ;)

TruBlu351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2007, 10:12 AM   #26
nugget378
Weezland

Quote:
Having a look at this also. They survived Nascar for a long time so thats a good thing and I believe a vertical gate is available also.

Who does the sequential shift for the TKO?
Theres only one guy I have found that does it in australia,he is in melbourne,but i have misplaced the contact details,from what he told me the rear housing needs machining.
The circuit race guys do it..
Old 26-08-2007, 10:35 AM   #27
Sledgehammer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
Theres only one guy I have found that does it in australia,he is in melbourne,but i have misplaced the contact details,from what he told me the rear housing needs machining.
The circuit race guys do it..
That would be real interesting, if you come up with any names Id be real interested.
Old 26-08-2007, 12:10 PM   #28
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruBlu351
That's the FC coupe!!

.........and if memory serves me correctly.....one of the last wheel raising days of the 'loader ;)
Sadly that it true, i'm yet to see if the new soft'o matic will get a wheel up.
Old 29-08-2007, 10:46 PM   #29
black dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby123
A friend of mine has ran 11.2 @ 124mph i think? He's a member here he may post also.. Thats in a XW Fairmont btw..

on ya toby,,, ,,,
my old toploader lasted over 50 passes on slicks with times from 13.9,s to 11.30,s and who knows how much street cruiseing till the input shaft snapped out on a cruise with the boys one nite,,,

iam currently running a new david keys toploader with bullnose input and 31 spline output shaft,with a vertical gate shifter,,this gearbox is bullit proof,,curently running 11.10,s@125mph..6000rpm launchs 1.530 60fts,,

cheers,,
Old 30-08-2007, 10:13 AM   #30
XCSEDAN
i'm baaaack....

Quote:
Originally Posted by black dog
on ya toby,,, ,,,
my old toploader lasted over 50 passes on slicks with times from 13.9,s to 11.30,s and who knows how much street cruiseing till the input shaft snapped out on a cruise with the boys one nite,,,

iam currently running a new david keys toploader with bullnose input and 31 spline output shaft,with a vertical gate shifter,,this gearbox is bullit proof,,curently running 11.10,s@125mph..6000rpm launchs 1.530 60fts,,

cheers,,
so the david key toploaders are worth the extra $$$ then?
how many passes have you done with it?
XCSEDAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post