Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 21-02-2016, 03:03 PM   #1
Billy99
Starter Motor

Default WQ Fiesta gear linkage - manual trans

Hi all,
After opening the plastic transmission inspection cover to check the transmission oil, I noticed the gear shift cable linkage was broken - missing the clip and fitting that attaches to the gear selector lever. Must have been like this for sometime, still selects gears okay.
I'd like to know if anyone has experienced this problem before.
Not sure on parts availability for the linkage.
Thinking about installing a suitable size bush to take up the play, then fit a circlip.
After suggestions/ideas.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Linkage.jpg (95.8 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg Linkage_1.JPG (98.9 KB, 49 views)
Billy99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2016, 03:17 PM   #2
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 
Default Re: WQ Fiesta gear linkage - manual trans

Here are the partts availability for the cable on a manual WQ. I can provide specific part numbers if you advise what exact part you need.

WQ Gear Cable.pdf
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2016, 01:26 AM   #3
zabatron

Pretty common problem..looks like the rubber shifter cable bushing has fallen off...these are just a press fit to the pin on the metal shifter arm,and have no "e" clip on them from the factory to keep it locked in position.Pretty sure you have to buy the whole cable assembly to obtain this bush(GT legend may be able to confirm this).Your suggested solution of fitting a rubber bush and c- clip will work as i have seen this done before to eliminate the slop in the shifter after this bushing has fallen off.
zabatron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2016, 07:09 AM   #4
Billy99
Starter Motor

Thanks GTLEGEND for the cable parts list. Would appear I need the whole cable assy.
I'll have a go at fitting a bush and clip first, see what I can do myself.
Appreciate your response zabatron.
Cheers
Billy99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2016, 05:05 PM   #5
Ken_AUXR8

Hi Billy, I have this same issue. How did you go with the bish, or did you end up buying the whole new cable?
Cheers

Ken
Ken_AUXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2016, 01:10 AM   #6
DDevine
Starter Motor

The exact same problem today on a 2005 WQ - that's why I joined this forum!

I found a thread suggesting that the smaller "Booger Bushings" made for a Dodge Neon will fit a Ford Fiesta. (http://www.boogerracing.com/boogerbushings.html)

I've ordered some... Hopefully it works and I won't have to fashion a replacement myself, or shell out for a set of cables.
DDevine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2016, 08:04 PM   #7
DDevine
Starter Motor

I finally got around to fixing this today. The booger bushing worked perfectly because like in Billy99's pictures, only the top one was disintegrated.

I was having trouble getting the bushing to actually seat in fully, so I ended up reaming it with a 5.5mm drill bit. Reaming with a 5.5mm only took off a few shavings of rubber, but what I think was really key was the friction from the drill bit heating up the rubber a bit and making it more malleable. Maybe somebody should try heating the bushing up in hot water next time.

I placed the ring end of a spanner over the end of the bushing and carefully forced it home with a hammer.

If you have yet to fix this Billy, I have a second bushing available for quite cheap.
DDevine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2023, 06:43 PM   #8
OCouch91
Starter Motor

I had the same issue. I managed to cobble something back together.

It's a bit of an awkward spot to get to but I measured the pin at about 8mm and the ID of linkage at 16mm.

Used a 3/8" vacuum blanking plug and cut it down to size. It was a but large on (5/16" would've been better but beggars can't be choosers on a Friday public holiday before a long weekend). It was 17mm or so OD soa bit oversize, but a chamfer and a bit of rubber grease meant it went in without too much of a fight.

A couple of 5/16" flange washers on either side and wave split pin to hold it all on. I used a bit of red rubber grease to get it slide together nicely.

I found some bushings on aliexpress that claimed to be designed to fit but they wouldn't turn up for a month or so and I couldn't afford my work car to be out of action that long.
OCouch91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post