Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-03-2010, 06:35 PM   #61
MAD
Petro-sexual

Geez you guys are grasping at straws on that comment. Clearly 'same' in this instance means 'fits in the same place, does the same job'

What does 'Genuine Ford' mean? Just because its more expensive doesn't necessarily mean it is any better than the aftermarket production of the same item.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:55 PM   #62
glavas

i paid 220$ for a spare key and 60$ to put on my personalised plates from holden.

i know everything cots more from the dealers but its good to know you get it from the real dealers. like servicing holden/ford charge more but it looks good in the log book having there stamp.
glavas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2010, 06:58 PM   #63
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaan
Hi people. One of my mate had a little accident last week. His front bar is gone. He drives 2006 350Z track model. Absolute beauty. We went to Nissan together to get a new front bar. I was expecting 350z front bar to be so expensive. I thought, I am driving an Aussie car so parts should be much cheaper than the imports. We picked up brand spanking new plastic genuine 350Z front bar for $400. I couldn't believe it. Ford quoted me $1500 for the Ba xr6 front bar. This is unbelievable. I told my mate and he laughed at me. Now how the f..k a local car manufacturer's parts are more expensive than the imports? I can't believe it :
I had a similar experience with heaps of Ford parts, but I was surprised by some of the base model parts! Accelerator pedal $21, Wiring harness for drivers door $14.

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2010, 06:59 PM   #64
opto
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its all in the name of Ford looking after your health, your pulse rises, your eyes open up wide and your anus is stretched so you dont get constipated, cos thats where they get you.

Thank You Ford.

Just practicing with the Tazer on a Koala?
opto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2010, 07:01 PM   #65
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Ford wanted $400 per key fob for my Fiesta (they gave me 2 with the car, but said if they get broken, $400 each).

Also I work at Honda, $19 for a single wiper blade haha.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2010, 07:15 PM   #66
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
Geez you guys are grasping at straws on that comment. Clearly 'same' in this instance means 'fits in the same place, does the same job'

What does 'Genuine Ford' mean? Just because its more expensive doesn't necessarily mean it is any better than the aftermarket production of the same item.
Well if the "aftermarket industry of the older fords is anything to go by then there is a big difference in the quality of Genuine Ford and non Genuine.

Most don't even fit with out modifying the part or the car.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2010, 07:25 PM   #67
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Ford want approx $250 - $270 for alloy pedal covers.

One accelerator and one brake.
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2010, 07:27 PM   #68
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave289
a ba xt front bar is about $280 from ford ,so a lot cheaper than the 350z.the reason they charge so much for the xr6 and xr8 bar is because they dont want people like you and me changing their xt to look like and xr.
So there should be a rebate if you can return said broken bit.

But no. FPV make you jump through hoops to prove you actually own one, and still bend you over on the price.

Ford Performance Club of ACT
data_mine is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2010, 07:44 PM   #69
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by glavas
i paid 220$ for a spare key and 60$ to put on my personalised plates from holden.

i know everything cots more from the dealers but its good to know you get it from the real dealers. like servicing holden/ford charge more but it looks good in the log book having there stamp.
Holden charged you $60 to put your personalised plates on? :

As for the logbook servicing yeah it looks good the book being 'stamped' by the dealer but it does nothing for you or resale.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2010, 07:57 PM   #70
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Actually, once I snapped the little T junctions in the washer jet plumbing. Went to a wrecker thinking that I am not paying Ford $25 for a little bit of plastic (or so I assumed).

NC's getting on too much now so no bits at wrecker (or others that would fit crazily enough) so off to Ford. $2.50. Damn assumptions.

Actually got a genuine Tickford suspension kit for my EF Futura once (in about 2001) from the Ford dealer - for $500 new in the sealed box. Shocks, springs, struts and bushes. There are some swings and roundabouts I suppose!
Old 02-03-2010, 08:00 PM   #71
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by glavas
For $60 I would hope they would have put on some VERY nice Holden number plate covers.

Most popular model cars can get aftermarket spare keys cut and coded. Did this on a few of my Holdens (with all in one key). About $70.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:16 PM   #72
IH8HSV
XR6T 400kw(well one day!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by opto
Its all in the name of Ford looking after your health, your pulse rises, your eyes open up wide and your anus is stretched so you dont get constipated, cos thats where they get you.
Thanks doctor.

I looked in the medical journal to find out exactly what this health issue really was....

Disease: Fordilitus syndrome.

Causes: Opening your wallet to pay ridiculously high prices on a genuine part you really need.

Symptoms: Tightening of the anus and profuse sweating. In sever cases, can lead to shaking of the hands, confusion and some times verbal abuse.

Treatment: Unfortunately there is no confirmed successful treatment. However studies show that just paying the ridiculous amount and steaming about it for a few days may help.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:32 PM   #73
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd recommend starting a thread on an internet message board as excellent treatment.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 01:50 AM   #74
Bent8
Long live the GT !

I couldn't believe it when I went down to my local Ford dealer and asked them to get me a price on a set of BF XR8 18" alloys....

The guy quoted me $742 (including GST) PER WHEEL !!!!!

He said the trade price was $704.......at which point I said "thanks for your help"...went down the road to the local Bob Jane T-Mart and got myself a set of PDW Vega 18's fitted with nitrogen and chrome caps for a grand total of $1000...and they look bloody awesome!

Not so shocked on some of their other prices though...

XR8 sideskirt badges $34 (inc GST) while a set of "XR" floormats set me back $108.

Makes no sense really, I guess it's just one of the mysteries of the Universe!

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 09:11 AM   #75
Magna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

one of the clips on the seat back broke (the plastic bit that houses the map pocket) its a piece of moulded plastic. $180 trade price! might make a waranty claim :(
Magna is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 10:27 PM   #76
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaan
Some of my mates told me holden is worst than Ford.
not really, a VE SV6/SS front bar is ~$500

tho that said, to buy a complete rear step/bumper for a rodeo or colorado LTR will set you back $3k+
Old 03-03-2010, 10:30 PM   #77
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

How much is a minor service at Ford? For an oil filter change, washer bottle top up, new oil etc?
Old 03-03-2010, 10:54 PM   #78
ea_monty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
How much is a minor service at Ford? For an oil filter change, washer bottle top up, new oil etc?
$119 in sa at a couple of different dealerships that i know of
ea_monty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2010, 01:33 AM   #79
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fiesta Zetec tyres are $360ea and not from FORD if you want original rubber.
Old 04-03-2010, 01:44 AM   #80
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDIDDY
I got a quote yeterday for a 260 Boss motor, brand new, with no accessories. Anyone want to guess the price?
that does`nt seem too bad to me, there are a lot of parts in that motor, they all have to be cast,machined, assembeled, then there is warranty on the product, i`d put money on it a small hilux diesel would cost similar or more.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2010, 02:29 AM   #81
Windsor220
Now Fordless

This thread should be renamed "why do all car manufacturers sell parts so expensive".

One of my friends priced up a genuine TRD bodykit for an Aurion. Was somethnig stupid like $10,000 unpainted.

A headlight for an Mitsubishi FTO was around $1000

Even basics like brake pads on something like a Rodeo are $250 genuine when you can go down the road and get some for $50.

Genuine wheels are a killer. I remember one of the E series GTs were over $5000 for the set without tyres.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2010, 10:53 AM   #82
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
that does`nt seem too bad to me, there are a lot of parts in that motor, they all have to be cast,machined, assembeled, then there is warranty on the product, i`d put money on it a small hilux diesel would cost similar or more.
Hilux Diesel engine from Toyota spare parts is over $20k
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2010, 11:01 AM   #83
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue
If we are talking economies of scale being the factor then maybe the issue is that the locally procuced models are primarily sold only in OZ. Meaning that say a Corolla for eg. is sold world wide ie. a shed load, so therefore while it is an imported model the parts should be cheaper as there are SO many produced and sold worldwide. While the local models total sales probably would not be that impressive when compared with other models sold around the world so therefore not as many parts produced and sold so higher prices???......
Go price similar parts for a Corolla.
Its not going to be any cheaper than Falcon or Commodore parts.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2010, 12:15 PM   #84
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
Hilux Diesel engine from Toyota spare parts is over $20k
ouch, but that does`nt surprise me too much, a mate had a repair done on his hilux diesel cost 6k it was`nt a huge job either.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2010, 12:42 PM   #85
LTDterri
SY TS Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by opto

Thank You Ford.
GOLD

What about electrical parts, I bought a new door lock for my BA cause the old one died (common Problem) and clearly stamped on receipt was NO RETURNS OR REFUNDS ON ELECTRICAL ITEMS, then I really started sweating does the thing work or not and have I just done my money.

The other thing Ive noticed all my late model Fords have a hell of alot of common problems that you have to visit the parts dept and pay high prices, soon I will have replaced every componant in the Territory for double the cost and get a third back when I trade it in...Love you Ford
LTDterri is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2010, 08:00 PM   #86
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea_monty
$119 in sa at a couple of different dealerships that i know of
its $233 here in Victoria at our Honda dealership for an oil filter, oil, washer bottle top up and the usual inspection on the car.

Also, all the staff except one guy and me all love and preach Honda, its weird, they act like they're the best cars ever made. All I see is a bunch of boring FWD "get you from A to B" cars. My workshop manager asked me to find a new CRV parked out back, when I did, I come back and said its a pretty ugly car and he went mental.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:39 PM   #87
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

correction..... Colorado LTR rear step/bumper, only available as individual parts, is $4168.47 retail......