Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Ford Forums Central > Site Support

Site Support If something isn't working or you have a suggestion ( a nice one !! ) let us know here.

View Poll Results: Those Ebay thread
please just trash all ebay threads 24 38.10%
Let em be. 39 61.90%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23-06-2005, 10:38 PM   #1
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Default Pointless Ebay Links

So...

what are peoples thoughts on threads with a link to USELESS ebay items

Should they be trashed?

Personaly I dont mind the automotive ones, but I also like driving the Kluger.... :eclipsee_

Last edited by Laminge; 23-06-2005 at 10:49 PM.
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2005, 10:54 PM   #2
JADED6
V8 Ghia & BF2 XR6 + Wagon

Let them be.
It is my opinion that you don't want to start getting ANAL about bandwidth and post criteria when we haven't been given the chance to donate yet.
I know you also dislike "chit chat" in for sale posts when half the time it is of some indirect relevance to what is for sale.
Not my site to run but either was FF..
JADED6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2005, 11:03 PM   #3
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Maybe they could be confined to a dedicated "pointless ebay link" thread rather than 20 million separate threads
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2005, 11:03 PM   #4
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Actually a couple of points

1) I enjoy getting ANAL, if one gets in the way though, may I suggest they quickly back up against the wall, otherwise there will be a new meaning to chutney ferret.
2) I havent got an issue with bandwith
3) It wasnt my idea, but another member of the forums
4) the 5 admins and 7 mods dislike chit chat in the for sale items, i dont see the need to post "i would love that if i had the money"?
5) Your input is valued, but its not just my site either, so the question is asked openly

:evilking: :the_finge :the_finge : :the_finge :the_finge :evilking:

Last edited by Laminge; 23-06-2005 at 11:09 PM.
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2005, 11:05 PM   #5
loxxr6
XB in parts...

If they're funny links, keep em.

Stupid ones which point out typo's or other not really interesting things...like overpriced cars, ban em.

I know we can't really separate ebay links like this, but thats my opinion anyway.

Has Fez and XB.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2005, 11:12 PM   #6
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JADED6
Let them be.
It is my opinion that you don't want to start getting ANAL about bandwidth and post criteria when we haven't been given the chance to donate yet.
Considering the cost of the bandwidth compared to any potential donations... getting ANAL about bandwidth is whats going to keep this forum alive. Someone is paying for all the space and bandwidth so we can be amused. Filling it up with ebay listings selling waffles and farts in a jar may not be the best way to convince the person with the chequebook that this is the best use of their money.

Quote:
I know you also dislike "chit chat" in for sale posts when half the time it is of some indirect relevance to what is for sale.
Wading through "I want it but have no money" or "why are you selling it?" etc posts is not really going to help those selling or buying something. If its that important to say.. we have a PM system.

Quote:
Not my site to run but either was FF..
Correct. And for the Admins who's position it is to run and the Mods whos position is to assist.. these are decisions that need to be made. Cosidering it has been put to a public vote I think its pretty good of them to ask everyones opinion rather than just make a snap decision like was often done on FF.

Your opinion is noted.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2005, 11:14 PM   #7
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
I enjoy getting ANAL, if one gets in the way though, may I suggest they quickly back up against the wall, otherwise there will be a new meaning to chutney ferret.
LMAO! :!!!!! GOLD MINGE!
Old 23-06-2005, 11:57 PM   #8
rodderz

I think it's good of minge to raise the point of the ebay threads, shows that as members we are all getting a chance to have a say

The thing that concerns me is that while the Bar is for non-car related chat, it's still a car forum and a whole heap of funny ebay listings gets a bit tiresome after looking at a few. Maybe a funny ebay thread can be started and all new ones can be merged into that instead of listing new ones. New members may potentially be lead astray of what the forum is about with so many similar threads
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2005, 12:11 AM   #9
Damo
Banned

i agree ebay threads suck the big one.

*oh look another ebay funny*

Join or view ebay if you wanna read stupid items/descriptions for sale, etc... This is Ford Forums AU, not 'crappyebayads.com.au'.

Damo
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2005, 12:12 AM   #10
JADED6
V8 Ghia & BF2 XR6 + Wagon

Duly noted.
I really should add that 1 thread for all the ebay crap would be better buy they're probably to worthless to be made a sticky. Without that they'll soon be 10 pages deep in the bar.

Casper, as the site is apparently fully funded for 2 years and the donation ammounts are usually quite a bit, they must go some way to paying for a bit of the bandwidth.

How long does it take to read the useless for sale posts?
I dont make a habbit of doing that (probably 1 or 2 posts) but for the seller it's a free bump anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damo
This is Ford Forums AU, not 'crappyebayads.com.au'.

Damo
So you disagree with the bar (OFF TOPIC) entirely Damo?
If i read a thread title and don't want to view it, funnily enough... I dont view that thread.
JADED6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2005, 12:17 AM   #11
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Ban the links...
if some one wants to share something on Ebay, they can just put up the word in question and go to Ebay and there search will find it..
eg:if i want to share a pizza that was for sale on Ebay...my post should read, go to Ebay and type in hummy Pizza..

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2005, 12:51 AM   #12
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

You can't not value bandwidth. No one wants wowsers or a rigid policy to posting. But sometimes less is more. It has a monetry value, and it has a value as good coomunications, particulary for those poor souls why view the site with dial-up and other limited means.

The odd ebay link is funny but if every fool is trying to outdo themselves on ebay, and every other fool is trying to outdo themselves posting links to the same rubbish its hardly good communication.

Post whoring, monster signitures that take half a page to list all the monster amps fitted to your Edsel, other same ole same ole links and posts, all help lose focus towards what the forum is about.

No need to kill the fun, but please people think before posting the totally unrelated, a big issue in your lives may not be the same for everyone else, others may not be as spell bound by the dissapearance of your good scissors as you are.

David.

Last edited by RED_EL_XR8; 24-06-2005 at 09:54 AM.
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2005, 12:56 AM   #13
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Where are these useless links? I can't find any!

But wherever they are, perhaps they should just be confined to the bar.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2005, 01:14 AM   #14
clampy
Mr Extraordinary

ok, just quikly casper asking why someone is selling somethin is an important question that does related directly to the sale... makes sense not to ban that..

but my point is, that just like anything in conversation, if its interesting it will generate talk... if its not i'l quickly be ignored, ie go to the bottom of the page..

i thought the rofl waffles were funny, and if i created a forsale thread i would be slightly annoyed at people making irelevant comments, but wouldnt say anything about it unless there were like several pages of 5hit..

HOWEVER,

at the end of the day, yes it is a privately funded forum, but it should be at least more obviously shown that people should keep that in mind.. thats all.
clampy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2005, 01:44 AM   #15
neb
hibernating

i like the ebay links all of them make me laugh
neb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2005, 02:08 AM   #16
MrQuan
Social Disaster

Have you thought about getting an ISP to sponsor the bandwidth cost? :

Just a suggestion

3.73 LSD | Darkest legal tint | tinted back lights | Sprayed Dash | Custom Trims
Sound System:
Fusion front splits, rear 3-ways, and 2 x 12" subs with ctrl, 3 x Fusion amps | Clarion HU | 1F Cap | 60GB Zen Xtra | 800W RMS output!
MrQuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2005, 10:22 AM   #17
devil cv8

The ebay ads don't bother me one way or the other, I don't read them....

But as for inane chatter in the forsale threads... why not try what works on other forums, lock the ad. any genuine questions can be asked via PM and when the item is sold the a second post is allowed that says **sold**
this also stops the **bump** and makes it easier to see what new items are listed rather than the latest inane chatter
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2005, 11:07 AM   #18
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
Maybe a funny ebay thread can be started and all new ones can be merged into that instead of listing new ones. New members may potentially be lead astray of what the forum is about with so many similar threads
I think the one single thread for Ebay links is a great idea. Ill admit I find some of them very funny (especially the one for the Magna), but it does get tiring after a while.

Then of course you wonder why people look for such weird stuff on Ebay in the first place :.
Old 24-06-2005, 11:26 AM   #19
xrgran

I find the ebay stuff to be total rubbish. I get on ff's to enjoy all manner of car related chat and pics, events, etc.

Either ban it or give ebayers there own section.

just my 2c worth...
Old 24-06-2005, 11:29 AM   #20
Marlin_Girl
I wish I was a Pursuit...

i was just thinking the other day how there should be one thread for ebay links. i like them because they're usually pretty funny ... and given that it would be cool to have them all in one thread!! also better for everyone else;)

pics of my ute HERE
Marlin_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2005, 11:31 AM   #21
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i dont mind the ebay stuff, most of it is amusing - but what about all the new threads with a new joke everyday - why not just merge into one joke thread.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2005, 03:20 PM   #22
hambo_12

I think this one thread will stop people posting about ebay for fear of getting flamed...
Old 24-06-2005, 04:51 PM   #23
MickyB
Get in the ring!!!

I am guilty of posting stupid eBay links, and while I posted them because I thought they were funny, if it was declared that no more eBay linking was allowed, then I would happily stop. I get a laugh out of them though and I mean the Bar is usually full of other random silly stuff anyway. A dedicated eBay thread could solve the problem, but if it is using so much bandwidth that the site is suffering, then I guess I ban is the best option.
Old 24-06-2005, 05:58 PM   #24
Venomous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seriously, i dont see the problem, if you dont like a thread dont go in it, they are posted in the Bar, offtopic section, thats what its there for, for peope to talk, post interesting and funny jokes and theres no harm in it. If you want to ban these, well why not go one better, ban this ban that if u see what i mean. They dont even get posted up to often. Anyway just my opinion.

Last edited by Laminge; 24-06-2005 at 06:09 PM. Reason: "quote... why not go one better, ban this ban" so laminge did.... :P
Venomous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2005, 06:07 PM   #25
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

I'm not fussed either way but I'd probably prefer to see them and jokes in a single thread as it makes wading through the 300 new threads a day easier. It's easy enough to implement, allows those who want to post and view them the opportunity to do so and keeps it all in one place.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2005, 12:05 PM   #26
XAGSV8
Member 178

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCXR8
Where are these useless links? I can't find any!

But wherever they are, perhaps they should just be confined to the bar.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT :gren:
XAGSV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2005, 04:40 PM   #27
seano14
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Wading through "I want it but have no money" or "why are you selling it?" etc posts is not really going to help those selling or buying something. If its that important to say.. we have a PM system.
couldnt agree more regarding the sale section

almost every thread contains

"if only you were in x state (i'm in y state)"
"if only you sold it earlier, i just bought an x car"
"if only i had the money, i am broke right now"
"your price is too high, i saw x car identical to yours go for xxx price"

not to mention other posts commenting goodluck with the sale or how nice the car looks.

all of which could only frustrate the seller.
seano14 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2005, 11:49 PM   #28
M14A-Mclaren
Foo Fighter

Personally dont like them, makes it hard to see all the other threads having to search through the garbage, all in one thread would be a good idea
M14A-Mclaren is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post