Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 12:30 PM   #31
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Re: 2nd Great Depression is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhiaEB
As someone who is looking at getting my first house, I am very worried about it. I've factored in a 2% rate rise into my affordability but if it goes higher I could be in a spot of bother.

Add to it a loss in value (if the housing market drops) and I'll be in real trouble. I might just wait another 6months. I'll have a bigger deposit as a bonus.

Cheers
Good strategy. But you won't have to worry about rates going up. They are about to head south. When banks calculate your borrowing capacity they have a margin of about 1.5% factored in but you should work out whats comfortable for you.
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
Old 07-08-2011, 12:37 PM   #32
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr smith
Mate, I couldnt agree more. Times up for dodgy over paid tradies and business that have taken their customers for granted over the last decade. The good players will be fine and their customer support will now pay off (they may even make some gains, as the rouges go bust).
What dodgy trades are you talking about? More importantly what state?

Gross generalisations are generally what gets people into trouble...particularly when it comes to the suggestion that tradies are over paid...

As for a depression...it's probably well past due - I concur with the sentiment that it may lead people to understand that they don't 'need' all that crap, that the over-inflation that has occurred, particularly over the last decade or so, is a false economy...the money isn't real...

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
Old 07-08-2011, 12:39 PM   #33
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTe342
Good strategy. But you won't have to worry about rates going up. They are about to head south. When banks calculate your borrowing capacity they have a margin of about 1.5% factored in but you should work out whats comfortable for you.
Placing bets on which way the interest rates, local market, global market is just like any other form of betting. The experts have LESS than average (50/50) chance of predicting these things well. This strategy has very little to recommend it when you are looking to provide a margin of safety for yourself, your home, your family, and ensuring there is food on the table when things go bad.
As for the banks having their margin of safety - they are far more cautious now, but they all had to be bundled out in the sub-prime crisis. They don't care if you lose your house, they just want to make money out of you. One way to ensure you remain on top is to not give them that opportunity.

Just as a slight aside, given house prices are falling at the moment (2% over the last 12 months), I would be happy to wait longer until things are looking more rosy. We are looking to invest in our first investment property, and have a substantial deposit sitting in a cash account right now. Buit there is no way we are spending it. Better to earn interest and wait to see how far down the realestate market goes down.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
Old 07-08-2011, 12:43 PM   #34
GT
Mrs Russellw
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: All your effort in keeping me sane and on-track. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For her honest, direct and helpful advice to members. The content of her posts help many members on the forum and most times, turn a very negative thread into a postive one. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sezzy
What dodgy trades are you talking about? More importantly what state?

Gross generalisations are generally what gets people into trouble...particularly when it comes to the suggestion that tradies are over paid...

Deliberately baiting people is what gets people into trouble! Please read the new sticky thread in this Forum for a guide to acceptable posting. Zero tolerance from this day forward!

Gaela

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
Fact is Gaela's GTP IS the quickest NA Boss 290 Sedan now (by a long shot)
The precedent of stripping weight and using full slicks was set years ago now.

So if you want to beat em, ya gotta join em, and being manual makes the time even more credible.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:52 PM   #35
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT
Deliberately baiting people is what gets people into trouble! Please read the new sticky thread in this Forum for a guide to acceptable posting. Zero tolerance from this day forward!

Gaela
Ouch!

By the way - which sticky thread?
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
Old 07-08-2011, 12:56 PM   #36
GT
Mrs Russellw
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: All your effort in keeping me sane and on-track. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For her honest, direct and helpful advice to members. The content of her posts help many members on the forum and most times, turn a very negative thread into a postive one. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP owner
Ouch!

By the way - which sticky thread?
Russell has just removed it to add something to it but should be back up in a few minutes. I can hear him tapping away ........

GT

Quote:

So if you want to beat em, ya gotta join em, and being manual makes the time even more credible.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:08 PM   #37
GT
Mrs Russellw
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT
Russell has just removed it to add something to it but should be back up in a few minutes. I can hear him tapping away ........

GT
The STICKY is now up for all to read and hopefully absorb.

http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11339192

GT

Quote:

Old 07-08-2011, 01:18 PM   #38
creative
I am Batman

Now is a very good time to invest..but look for dual ocupancy properties. My boss has just purchased 3 houses, renovated them and is getting an average return of between 15 - 22%! National average is 4 - 6%. He intends to have approx 100 properties before the market turns.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:21 PM   #39
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative
Now is a very good time to invest..but look for dual ocupancy properties. My boss has just purchased 3 houses, renovated them and is getting an average return of between 15 - 22%! National average is 4 - 6%. He intends to have approx 100 properties before the market turns.
That is an outstanding return! A lot of these opportunities were around in the late 90's prior to the boom. Perhaps we will see similar opportunities again?
Old 07-08-2011, 03:55 PM   #40
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
That is an outstanding return! A lot of these opportunities were around in the late 90's prior to the boom. Perhaps we will see similar opportunities again?
Wouldn't that be nice!

House prices may go down, they may go sideways, they may even maintain their current value. But with all of that in mind, I can't see a compelling reason to rush to buy at present.

If you have the cash on hand to drop as a nice sized deposit, I'd be putting it in a term deposit and sleeping easy knowing I have plans a, b and c lined up if I need them.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:42 PM   #41
Bent8
Long live the GT !

The recent news about the US defaulting on it's debt is a smoke screen, as long as people rely on the news to keep them informed, these guys can just keep scamming us with all sorts of "excuses".

The US Federal Reserve was setup in 1913 on "Jekyll Island" by a bunch of bankers who most of them, still to this day remain unnamed.

Their system works by printing money as IOU's to this privately owned Federal Reserve bank and the income taxes of American's pay the "INTEREST ONLY" on this printed money!

A few years back if you went to a bank and deposited say $100, the bank was allowed to lend out 10 times this amount as loans ($1000), also known as "Fractional-Reserve Banking". Today these same banks can lend out around 20 - 30 times the original amount.

So in other words, the mortgage you have on your house was paid for by money created out of thin air (printed on a computer screen as available funds )

It's designed to collapse but the banksters want it to happen when they have their "solution" ready for you, and that solution is a One World currency.

Seems far-fetched and apparently they're behind schedule because people are waking up to their lies...

My guess is that Australia is currently about 6-9mths behind the US in terms of fiscal health but the gap is closing every day.

There are many doco's on this subject...

Secret of Oz is excellent
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cq9yEVcGIU

Gerald Celente is a trends forecaster
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRAvRtL0cz8

Be informed on what's really going on and you'll be fine.

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Old 07-08-2011, 04:47 PM   #42
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Now I understand it all...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOzR3...layer_embedded
Old 07-08-2011, 05:58 PM   #43
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks
Haaaaa.... I watched that guy getting interviewed once and he was acting the part of a greedy bank manager. I had no idea who he was and thought it was a serious interview... lol

On an serious note..... Oh dear.....
Old 07-08-2011, 06:11 PM   #44
AMGC63
Banned

One things for sure, if the media and people keep talking it up with doom and gloom and consumers start pulling in the purse strings as a result its sure to happen.
Consumer confidence dictates allot of this, a self forfilling prophesy i guess....
Old 07-08-2011, 06:20 PM   #45
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne351
One things for sure, if the media and people keep talking it up with doom and gloom and consumers start pulling in the purse strings as a result its sure to happen.
Consumer confidence dictates allot of this, a self forfilling prophesy i guess....
But the cause of this is easy credit IMO. If only easy credit wasn't available and real money from real purses was being spent then perhaps this would never have happened?

If we spend we are directly buggered, if we don't spend we are indirectly buggered.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:31 PM   #46
AMGC63
Banned

Quote:
But the cause of this is easy credit IMO. If only easy credit wasn't available and real money from real purses was being spent then perhaps this would never have happened?

If we spend we are directly buggered, if we don't spend we are indirectly buggered.
If people change their regular sustainable spending habbits because of the henny penny banter were stuffed.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:35 PM   #47
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne351
If people change their regular sustainable spending habbits because of the henny penny banter were stuffed.
I agree, however the problem is highlighted right there.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:16 PM   #48
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Problem? ... what problem? .. No, can't see a problem here

http://www.debtclock.com.au/

http://www.usdebtclock.org/

http://www.usdebtclock.org/world-debt-clock.html
Old 07-08-2011, 07:32 PM   #49
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The debtclock for Australia shows the credit card amount owing going up, now correct me if I am wrong but wasn't it on the news not long ago how Australians are saving like never before, I don't get it.........
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:32 PM   #50
burnz
VFII SS UTE

couple of things i don't understand!!
1/ didn't standards & poor like the other ratings companies, help cause all this in the first place by backing bad debt.
and said when inquired "it's just an opinion".
now they lower the US credit rating, obama should give'm the boot.
2/ why was their a dead line, why create a panic over a pseudo time limit?
Old 07-08-2011, 08:58 PM   #51
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjh80
How much is $14,300,000,000,000.00?

http://usdebt.kleptocracy.us/?p=1
Old 07-08-2011, 09:14 PM   #52
WMD351
Size it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
The debtclock for Australia shows the credit card amount owing going up, now correct me if I am wrong but wasn't it on the news not long ago how Australians are saving like never before, I don't get it.........
I suspect that at the top end of town the 5% of people who own 95% of the money (figuratively speaking) may have gotten out of their risky investments and gone for the safety of cash, while at the other end of the scale the poor continue to get poorer.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:28 PM   #53
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
now correct me if I am wrong but wasn't it on the news not long ago how Australians are saving like never before, I don't get it.........
Saving money can mean spending less too.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:37 PM   #54
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD351
I suspect that at the top end of town the 5% of people who own 95% of the money (figuratively speaking) may have gotten out of their risky investments and gone for the safety of cash, while at the other end of the scale the poor continue to get poorer.
If you are poor - you have nothing, right? So how can you get poorer? I think this is one of the stupidest thow-away lines there is.
The next one in this vein is that the gap between the righ and poor is growing. Once again, the poor can't get any poorer. Yes the righ are increasing their wealth, but you would too if you were in their shoes.

So we come back to how we as individuals can limit the effects of a recession. The answer is to live within your means. Just because you can buy now and pay later does not mean you have to!
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush

Old 07-08-2011, 09:43 PM   #55
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
The answer is to live within your means. Just because you can buy now and pay later does not mean you have to!
wouldn't it be more prudent to buy australian instead of sending it over seas.
even if you go into debt the money stays here.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:46 PM   #56
gz1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr smith
There is no GFC 2, GFC 1 hasnt finished yet. Artificial stimulus hasnt worked and has only driven most countries (and people) into more debt.
I'll go with this one as the most logical and backed up by empirical evidence.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:51 PM   #57
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
wouldn't it be more prudent to buy australian instead of sending it over seas.
even if you go into debt the money stays here.
Are you referring to the individual or the state? I agree that buying Australian is beneficial, but not putting yourself into too much debt to do it. Thats the way the banks make themselves fat off your hard work.
We can only be responsible for our own spending pattern. What governments do is driven by god-knows what!
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush

Old 07-08-2011, 10:03 PM   #58
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Haaaaa.... I watched that guy getting interviewed once and he was acting the part of a greedy bank manager. I had no idea who he was and thought it was a serious interview... lol

On an serious note..... Oh dear.....
John Clarke and Bryan Dawe. Brilliant Australian Satirists (Well ok. Clarke was born in NZ, but we claimed him!)

http://www.mrjohnclarke.com
Old 07-08-2011, 10:06 PM   #59
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Are you referring to the individual or the state? I agree that buying Australian is beneficial, but not putting yourself into too much debt to do it. Thats the way the banks make themselves fat off your hard work.
We can only be responsible for our own spending pattern. What governments do is driven by god-knows what!
individual: as to your reference "buy now pay later" which is typically low end credit.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:13 PM   #60
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent8
The recent news about the US defaulting on it's debt is a smoke screen, as long as people rely on the news to keep them informed, these guys can just keep scamming us with all sorts of "excuses".

The US Federal Reserve was setup in 1913 on "Jekyll Island" by a bunch of bankers who most of them, still to this day remain unnamed.

Their system works by printing money as IOU's to this privately owned Federal Reserve bank and the income taxes of American's pay the "INTEREST ONLY" on this printed money!

A few years back if you went to a bank and deposited say $100, the bank was allowed to lend out 10 times this amount as loans ($1000), also known as "Fractional-Reserve Banking". Today these same banks can lend out around 20 - 30 times the original amount.

So in other words, the mortgage you have on your house was paid for by money created out of thin air (printed on a computer screen as available funds )

It's designed to collapse but the banksters want it to happen when they have their "solution" ready for you, and that solution is a One World currency.

Seems far-fetched and apparently they're behind schedule because people are waking up to their lies...

My guess is that Australia is currently about 6-9mths behind the US in terms of fiscal health but the gap is closing every day.

There are many doco's on this subject...

Secret of Oz is excellent
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cq9yEVcGIU

Gerald Celente is a trends forecaster
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRAvRtL0cz8

Be informed on what's really going on and you'll be fine.
Good post.

One thing that Gerald says is that politicians lie. I can't understand that. He also said the governments only supports and represent the very rich. Baaa.. it can't be true... Baaa.

George Carlin.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0yhH...eature=related