Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-04-2023, 10:19 PM   #31
prydey
Rob

Default Re: buying a vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
if an XR6 auto ute has been advertised in a yard for over 2 months would you suspect something?
Not necessarily. No one is spending money at the moment. New car sales keep trucking along but I'd be surprised if the used market was as active.

Hard to say. If it's priced right then it could mean there is something odd about it.
Old 04-04-2023, 10:24 PM   #32
anobserver
Oppressive patriarch

We started looking at low mileage used, and bought new.

Used prices are nuts, cars with modest mileage are just a few k off new prices.

We did find some used cars in uncommon colours, or weird trim combinations (like black and beige interiors) sold more slowly. Still keenly priced though.

BA RTV.

Last edited by anobserver; 04-04-2023 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Afterthought
anobserver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-04-2023, 10:25 PM   #33
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...1596140/?Cr=42
dont think price has changed, and still swaying between FG11 & FGX call me strange but I doont really like the XR front end.
Old 04-04-2023, 10:36 PM   #34
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
dont think price has changed, and still swaying between FG11 & FGX call me strange but I doont really like the XR front end.
Do you need a ute? Falcon utes are drug money because they're sort after as single cab Thailand Specials are turds rolled in glitter in comparison.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-04-2023, 10:42 PM   #35
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

no I dont need a Falcon ute. I WANT a falcon ute big difference
Old 04-04-2023, 10:45 PM   #36
Late braker

[QUOTE=Franco Cozzo;6799455]Same here, having worked in the dealership workshop it's chock full of clowns too, including me

None of my cars were ever serviced by dealership workshops, always by a trusted independent workshop only with genuine filters, oils and service components.[/QUOTE

I never use dealer service centres. Have a trusted independent (Repco) mechanical business in local area I have always gone to
Late braker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2023, 10:45 PM   #37
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
no I dont need a Falcon ute. I WANT a falcon ute big difference
You'll get a VF with sub 100,000km on the clock and full service history for the same money, the car itself is a generation ahead of the FGII/FGX Falcon, interior is a much nicer place to be and they ride more comfortably.

The downside is it doesn't have the low down torque of the Falcon.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...-AD-21813662/?

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...-AD-21732121/?

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...-AD-21226494/?

Bit more fuel efficient too, I'd have our company VF SV6 doing 8L/100km on my commute with me driving it like it was stolen at every opportunity

I wouldn't be paying big dollars for a Falcon ute with 160,000km on the clock

Given that sort of coin you're in new small car territory as well, worth thinking about as you'll have trouble free motoring and a 5-7 year warranty:

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...-6315424/?Cr=2

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 04-04-2023 at 10:58 PM.
Old 04-04-2023, 10:52 PM   #38
Late braker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rare ss View Post
I've never used a dealer for buying or selling any of my cars so I can't say anything good (or bad) about them.. but yes, not a fan of them
You have an impressive collection in your garage
Late braker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2023, 08:11 AM   #39
myrpo

Tonz, think its who has the car that ticks the box.

I have bought 4 cars trough dealers. One was new, another x demo (unseen) and two second hand (1 unseen). The dealers of the new cars were annoying and misleading to the ones selling the second hand. All of them were majors.

Dealers allow you to use you statuary right and rtn the car if its not what they advertised, or have the obligation to get it fixed. This was the case with the x demo. It went back for $1500 of paint repair, and a spare key.
I'd steer clear of their extra coverage if they are trying to sell that. It appears full of loop holes from experiences I have heard.

Private is fine, but in my experiences I do a lot more physical running around, and found sellers descriptions can easily match questionable dealers. You have a better chance of getting a discount privately, as they don't have the overheads or responsibilities of dealers.

I'd trust a dealer to put a car on a truck and get it to me far more than any private sale. I'd have faith in someone over 60 telling me more truth than not, dealer or private.

Good luck, a hope its a positive experience.
myrpo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-04-2023, 11:29 AM   #40
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
I'm always cautious of ads that don't have anything useful to add in the comments section other than all the info about how good they are as used car dealers. That might explain as to why it has sat there for a while.

If the ad provided some insight into the condition of the vehicle, then that would give you an understanding of what you're buying without having to walk into the yard and eyeball it yourself.

Same as ads from private advertisers on carsales that just use the standard generated blurb. Offer me some insight for goodness sake!

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 05-04-2023, 11:50 AM   #41
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
I'm always cautious of ads that don't have anything useful to add in the comments section other than all the info about how good they are as used car dealers. That might explain as to why it has sat there for a while.

If the ad provided some insight into the condition of the vehicle, then that would give you an understanding of what you're buying without having to walk into the yard and eyeball it yourself.

Same as ads from private advertisers on carsales that just use the standard generated blurb. Offer me some insight for goodness sake!
Same here, that absolutely ****s me, and they usually have only three photos that look like they were taken on a GameBoy Camera, and the only thing the person adds after the automatically generated blurb is something like 'GOOD CAR' CONTACT SANJEEV'

Old 05-04-2023, 12:01 PM   #42
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

I've owned over 100 cars and have bought new and used from dealers, used from independants and used privately and I can tell you from experience that used private has resulted in the best outcome.

New is new, comes with a warranty and other protections but you pay for it.

Used dealer comes with basic or transferred warranty but you dont know how it was treated as they tart it up to look as close to new as possible and you'll pay for it.

Used independant, generally older cars or with issues that dealers dont want on their yards so wholesale, yes they are marginally cheaper but for that reason.

Used private, you see who owned it, see how it was driven and can negotiate with a seller minus the overheads of the previous 3.

Yards have their place but if you know what youre looking for and looking at, used private will be the better option.

Having said that, I wouldnt trust any of them unless I lay my eyes over it before the negotiating even begins.
Having bought over 100 cars I've never needed to look outside my State to buy but have travelled extensively within it.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2023, 02:14 PM   #43
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Alright, so I come into your dealership and buy a Ranger Raptor from you, is there discounts available on the RRP all of a sudden is there? Is there any discounts available on any of Ford's range you can provide, because last time I heard there's huge waiting lists on everything and shortages on everything which means no discounts.

What about if I want to place an order for a new Mustang Mach E, can you help me with that?

Have you ever thought Honda sells overpriced crap cars that our market doesn't want? Whats your excuse for the Tesla Model 3 and Model Y which show up in VFACTS on the regular in the top 10?

The last time we bought a new Ford, they didn't even know about one of the options packages we wanted, I literally knew more about the car they were selling than the sales team did - absolute joke.

Thats fine, I can understand why you're upset over it because your job won't exist in 10 years and you'll need to be something other than a useless middle man. The dealership sales team do zero value adding to the process at all, they're just obstacles between the manufacturer and the customer who are getting a cut.
Is this comment a little below the belt? Pretty rude mate.
Old 05-04-2023, 02:50 PM   #44
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra240t View Post
Is this comment a little below the belt? Pretty rude mate.
Thats the problem with the truth - it doesn't have to be nice, its not like I'm the only person here who is commenting who has an issue with the whole process over buying new cars either or has had issues with dealerships.

Are we the problem, or is it the process you deliberately force us into? Its not 1975 anymore, the fact you have to deal with this ridiculous sales process is an absolute joke.

I note you didn't answer my questions about the discounts on the Ranger Raptor or ordering a Mustang Mach E
Old 05-04-2023, 02:58 PM   #45
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Not necessarily. No one is spending money at the moment. New car sales keep trucking along but I'd be surprised if the used market was as active.

Hard to say. If it's priced right then it could mean there is something odd about it.
Its all "guess work" why that Falc ute is still on the yard.

prydey not sure where your coming from no one is spending $$$$ atm.

The news report doom and gloom left right and centre - sure the mortgage belt has copped a hit amongst other sectors but I'm seeing a hell of lot of spending over here in the big smoke.
Talking second hand car for eg, carsales, obviously those private owners or dealers asking BIG $$$ you see those cars hang around.
I had just sold my daily BM - having done the homework what like for like was going for - I actually thought they also are dreaming, I priced mine at a price I was happy with and know bites would be coming for I wanted to sell instead of waiting another 1 2 3 weeks hoping for another 1k or 4 more.
My Trade in price was 27k, my son put it on carsales around 1pm last Thursday.
First bite by 2pm.
Made a meet time later the afternoon - deal done, 6k more than trade in.
I have another 8 sms's I had to reply happy news its sold.
I suspect those other owners asking another 5k+ above mine for the same car are still waiting.

As for the topic I only buy private bugger the dealer they are all liars etcetc......
I have good experience with BOTH - I'm not fussed who I buy from, I do my homework like most of us do, as long as its what I want, ticks all the box's I go in ready to make the deal there and then.

Talking the second hand market movement.
I was shopping the last few weeks, I couldn't believe one morning online I missed out on 2 cars (private) within an hour of each other.
Then another I had to make a call will I or not talking to the seller for there was 2 other guys hoping to get it at the front of the guys premise's.

IF you have pricing around where the market is happy at it sells like fire.
IF your a dreamer rip off merchant waiting for the sucker your %'s are low.

Just had a very good dealer experience recently, don't know why some of these guys have "that" approach but once I brought him down to the understanding back off the BS I know what I'm after and common ground it went very well.
He actually knew what he was selling.
Done deal he came out of it a ok.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2023, 10:02 PM   #46
Swordie

I would try deal with people, organisations and vehicles you can trust. Examples:
  • Centre the search on an areas where you have someone you can trust to look at the car for you.,
  • Have a motoring body check the car.
  • Buy from a dealer that has a factory warranty with a service history.
  • Buy a Toyota as they have a good reputation for reliability.
  • Buy a car from someone you know.
  • Buy a car you know allot about so you can ask for the appropriate information.

Plus take your time.
Swordie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2023, 06:50 AM   #47
myrpo

Maybe try a broker?

Had a group of friends all start using this particular broker. He took all the work out of it. They just told him what they were after and he presented two or three choices. He did the negotiating and buying so no contact with anyone but him. Think it added another $500 to the car. He organised a mechanical inspection too, but cant recall if that was plus or included.
Think the cars all came from dealers.
myrpo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2023, 09:18 AM   #48
Mulva
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I sometimes wish I had the balls to take a punt on some cars at auction, but I'm just not one to gamble that kind of money. Besides, I still see the used market correcting further from here, and that includes the locally produced stuff that so far has corrected less than the rest...so would only be buying now if I absolutely had to buy now as opposed to in about 6 months time
Mulva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post