Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-03-2023, 12:15 PM   #31
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Re: Camaro axed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
we are talking Supercars here, not real cars, they just bolt/screw plastic panels on to make it look like a Corvette - did you read the opening post?
That won't work with Corvette, cause the engine is in the back. No room up front for a V8. So that option is out.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2023, 02:08 PM   #32
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Make the rules so you can use any style Holden from the past.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2023, 02:43 PM   #33
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo4 View Post
Isn't the new Corvette a factory RHD?
Yes, not a GMSV conversion.
I have had a sit and a fiddle. Can't see much out of it, and the array of buttons down the spine of the console looks wow, but probably impractical to use.
Ferrari looks for half the price.
Not a car for old men. Getting out of it was an undignified challenge, much to the amusement of the salesman and myself. I wasn't offended as I wasn't a prospective buyer.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2023, 04:30 PM   #34
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
I have had a sit and a fiddle. Can't see much out of it, and the array of buttons down the spine of the console looks wow, but probably impractical to use.
Not a car for old men. Getting out of it was an undignified challenge, much to the amusement of the salesman and myself. I wasn't offended as I wasn't a prospective buyer.
How good is it - it's a car that's not designed for an old man but the only people who can afford it is old men
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 27-03-2023, 07:00 PM   #35
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
That won't work with Corvette, cause the engine is in the back. No room up front for a V8. So that option is out.
we are talking Supercars here, not real cars, they just bolt/screw plastic panels on to make it look like a Corvette

remember Mercedes Benz, Nissan Altima (4 cylinder front wheel drive), remember Volvo, remember Opel Commodore (4 cylinder front wheel drive), they can do what they want
Old 27-03-2023, 07:12 PM   #36
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
How good is it - it's a car that's not designed for an old man but the only people who can afford it is old men
It because of old men, and their desire to play golf, that the C8 Corvette is terribly oversized and ugly at the rear end. They went to the whole trouble of changing the drivetrain layout, and instead of taking advantage of that, they went and designed a Frankenstein. The marketing team insisted on being able to fit golf clubs in the trunk so that they wouldn't alienate existing buyers, all the while GM saying they needed to reach a new generation of buyers. GM are so stupid.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2023, 08:00 PM   #37
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
And only wanted by old men who are trying to relive their youth because the young woke crowd are into EVs.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2023, 11:49 PM   #38
Late braker

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR Martin View Post
Make the rules so you can use any style Holden from the past.
In that case the A9X. Such a beautiful car
Late braker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2023, 12:10 AM   #39
stock1991
Limited supply

I am still getting over you can buy a full body brand new spilt screen volkswagon kombi. Sure it's in USA, can buy a brand new retro mustang chassis to the glass. I imagine if GM wanted to retool for RHD be a lot cheaper
stock1991 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2023, 10:29 AM   #40
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Supercars should get it's **** together and be more representative of the cars on the road, they should use the F150 and Silverado
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2023, 10:54 AM   #41
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
It because of old men, and their desire to play golf, that the C8 Corvette is terribly oversized and ugly at the rear end. They went to the whole trouble of changing the drivetrain layout, and instead of taking advantage of that, they went and designed a Frankenstein. The marketing team insisted on being able to fit golf clubs in the trunk so that they wouldn't alienate existing buyers, all the while GM saying they needed to reach a new generation of buyers. GM are so stupid.
Oi - haha its not just about old men and their golf clubs
Got to say golf has such a wide spread age group its massive and boot space is considered by OE's not just re clubs but carrying capacity period.
Owners need carrying space no matter the items, fun fact having just bought a new SUV, kids have own cars and my daily most times is just me and the wife on the weekends.
Gold club kit space and pull trolley was one of my requirements haha wouldn't matter my age.
One dealership I went to I brought this up, the sales guy said if there wasn't enough space for clubs sales would be low
Such is life my friend, if your a player you get it if not you don't

I reckon the Camaro looks great tbh, GM USA as we've known has been a basket case for decades.
I actually think pound for pound Holden here did a farfar better job.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"

Last edited by FTE217; 28-03-2023 at 11:01 AM.
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-03-2023, 10:59 AM   #42
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Supercars should get it's **** together and be more representative of the cars on the road, they should use the F150 and Silverado
They've had the SuperUtes series since 2018.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SuperUtes_Series

https://www.supercars.com/news/super...2023-calendar/

It never seems to have gained popularity, either with the diesel or LS3 engines.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2023, 11:04 AM   #43
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
They've had the SuperUtes series since 2018.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SuperUtes_Series

https://www.supercars.com/news/super...2023-calendar/

It never seems to have gained popularity, either with the diesel or LS3 engines.
another merican innovation, ute racing.
With their pop anything has a chance to gain viewership, you only have to look at other forms of racing or competition they get into with numbers, tractors you name it, anything with an engine there'll be some rednecks getting into it.
Here a whole diff ball game, we haven't the numbers or rednecks then again ???? haha
Old 28-03-2023, 11:11 AM   #44
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
Mustang no diff talking ol men getting in and out and seeing out of it.
Just that Ford have done a better job keeping Mustang going.
Never out of production whereas the GM variants have come gone, come back then gone again.......
I think Ford associated with Shelby/then taking on Ferrari and GT350/500's ex dealerships to date and the many movies in the early days (Legend Newman/Bullitt one eg) really entrenched the Mustang aura which is great well done by them.
Old 28-03-2023, 12:53 PM   #45
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
we are talking Supercars here, not real cars, they just bolt/screw plastic panels on to make it look like a Corvette - did you read the opening post?
Corvette isn't going to work real well on the control chassis...not would GM really want a front engined version of their rear-mid engined car.

Camaro will race till the end of 2025

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2023, 12:56 PM   #46
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
we are talking Supercars here, not real cars, they just bolt/screw plastic panels on to make it look like a Corvette

remember Mercedes Benz, Nissan Altima (4 cylinder front wheel drive), remember Volvo, remember Opel Commodore (4 cylinder front wheel drive), they can do what they want
Except the front is so low, that getting enough height to fit a v8 up front will require them to butcher the design so much that it won't even look like a Corvette, and the cabin is too far forward, so they could fit the engine behind it.

It would make the previous Mustang with the high roof look like an actual production car in comparison. The proportions and dimensions just don't suit.

They simply will not do this.

Those other cars you mentioned all had the engine in the front, so switching from FWD to RWD is no big thing.
Old 28-03-2023, 06:53 PM   #47
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
Oi - haha its not just about old men and their golf clubs
Got to say golf has such a wide spread age group its massive and boot space is considered by OE's not just re clubs but carrying capacity period.
Owners need carrying space no matter the items, fun fact having just bought a new SUV, kids have own cars and my daily most times is just me and the wife on the weekends.
Gold club kit space and pull trolley was one of my requirements haha wouldn't matter my age.
One dealership I went to I brought this up, the sales guy said if there wasn't enough space for clubs sales would be low
Such is life my friend, if your a player you get it if not you don't

I reckon the Camaro looks great tbh, GM USA as we've known has been a basket case for decades.
I actually think pound for pound Holden here did a farfar better job.
It's not golf or older gentleman that I was having a go at, as a younger man , I enjoy golf too.

It was more about GM being so terrified of loosing their existing customer base that they based the styling direction around the rear luggage compartment being able to fit golf clubs. If that was so important to them, then they should have just left the engine up front where it always had been.

In the lead up to it's launch, a lot was said about enticing a new generation of Corvette buyers with a more sophisticated driving experience.......hence the move to a mid-engine layout and a DCT transmission.

I would also wager that most Corvette's are not the owners sole form of transportation, in other words, the golf clubs would go in the daily driver.

It's such a shame and a missed opportunity that the design department didn't have the chance to go wild with the styling.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-03-2023, 09:14 PM   #48
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Going by what was published on Drive today the 2024 Challenger / Charger may live on next year with a twin turbo v6 as alternate options to the EV Versions.
I would love to see the Challenger or Charger on the race track in place of Camaro.
The Charger name plate must still have some support in this country (I know it is 4 door now)
It is not a V8, but beggars can't be choosers if that is all there is, that is in production next year.
Only problem is there is probably no chance they will make them in RHD.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2023, 09:25 PM   #49
xr8territory
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I really don't know why GM are even in supercars here. It's not to promote anything they sell, and soon, the car won't even exist at all. So what's the point?

To promote the Chev brand that only sells Silverado's and a couple hundred Corvettes a year?

The name might continue in future, but it won't be a coupe. Most likely an EV crossover like the Mach E.
I thought Supercars were paying GM for the IP of the Corvette. GM could care less about the Australian Supercar series.
XW UTE, XW FAIRMONT, XT GT, XT Fairmont, EF XR8, XH XR8 UTE, XH XR8 UTE, AU UTE, Renault Scenic, XF UTE, BA XR8 UTE, TERRITORY, Chrysler Voyager, WS FIESTA ZETEC,TERRITORY TITANIUM, BA UTE, Nissan Pathfinder, AU Falcon Forte, BA XR8 UTE.
xr8territory is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2023, 04:22 AM   #50
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Except the front is so low, that getting enough height to fit a v8 up front will require them to butcher the design so much that it won't even look like a Corvette,
and the Gen 2 Mustang looked like a Mustang
Old 29-03-2023, 08:41 AM   #51
Rob 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8territory View Post
I thought Supercars were paying GM for the IP of the Corvette. GM could care less about the Australian Supercar series.
On the flip side Supercars cares a great deal about GM…..

I just find it quite ironic that while Dodge and Chevy seem to be scaling back with muscle cars, Ford is powering on with higher hp models in the pipeline like the ‘Darkhorse’.

Thank you Ford..
Old 29-03-2023, 01:07 PM   #52
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp
Going by what was published on Drive today the 2024 Challenger / Charger may live on next year with a twin turbo v6 as alternate options to the EV Versions.
I would love to see the Challenger or Charger on the race track in place of Camaro.
The Charger name plate must still have some support in this country (I know it is 4 door now)
It is not a V8, but beggars can't be choosers if that is all there is, that is in production next year.
Only problem is there is probably no chance they will make them in RHD.
Straight 6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8territory
Camaro, not Corvette.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57
and the Gen 2 Mustang looked like a Mustang
Apart from the higher roof, it did. Just imagine how much of a Frankenstein a Corvette would look like with the front jacked up to fit the engine in, the roof raised to match the Mustang roof height, and a foot chopped out behind the cabin to make the proportions useable. Yeah, that will happen

May as well be one of those dinky aussie racing car things that puts a caricature fibreglass body shell over a big go cart. At least the Mustang and Camaro look pretty much spot on with the showroom models now.
Old 01-04-2023, 06:52 AM   #53
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgpsi View Post
all electric with v8 sound coming from speakers hidden under the car

I recall a show called Beyond 2000, had a very Young Simon Reeves and Amanda Keller as the hosts.

One of the things they showed was an internal sound for a car. It would make any car sound (inside the cabin) as your choice of vehicle. Ferrarri Lambo, V8 etc
Old 01-04-2023, 09:52 AM   #54
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw View Post
I recall a show called Beyond 2000, had a very Young Simon Reeves and Amanda Keller as the hosts.

One of the things they showed was an internal sound for a car. It would make any car sound (inside the cabin) as your choice of vehicle. Ferrarri Lambo, V8 etc
Sound Racer.... as presented by Loz Blain .