Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-04-2018, 10:05 AM   #1
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 
Default Rear-Wheel Drive More Fun Than Front-Wheel Drive?

The title says it all, for the record imo no way Fwd is better or more fun than a Rwd lol! Here's the obligatory interesting link -

https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car...t-wheel-drive/

Also around the better twisty sections of the Putty Rd (NSW, a well known drivers road between Wilberforce & Singleton just north west of Sydney) a sporty Fwd market competitor to my Au xr6 vct (a very committed v6 Tiburon) could not keep up within the speed limits.

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-04-2018, 10:09 AM   #2
BAWITHLOT
XB COUPE TOO!

Default Re: Rear-Wheel Drive More Fun Than Front-Wheel Drive?

I think you are comparing chalk with cheese here. it not about the car but more the skills of the driver!
BAWITHLOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-04-2018, 10:11 AM   #3
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

I did say a very commited driver lol! Swap drivers around probably same result imo.

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Old 08-04-2018, 10:31 AM   #4
Sar4890
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I must admit to having a preference for rear wheel drive cars especially falcons but having said that i've recently been doing all of my country runs in the missus's focus and that is starting to sway my stance a bit.My favourite twisty bit on the journey is between Port Augusta and Quorn and ive found the little Focus to be a very agile car whilest it may not have the outright grunt its cornering ability is amazing.
Sar4890 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-04-2018, 10:34 AM   #5
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sar4890 View Post
I must admit to having a preference for rear wheel drive cars especially falcons but having said that i've recently been doing all of my country runs in the missus's focus and that is starting to sway my stance a bit.My favourite twisty bit on the journey is between Port Augusta and Quorn and ive found the little Focus to be a very agile car whilest it may not have the outright grunt its cornering ability is amazing.
Yep, the Focus are well known good handlers & if you can balance the car on the throttle & get lift off oversteer, they are rapid & fun on the right roads.

cheers, Maka

Old 08-04-2018, 11:39 AM   #6
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

I'm not sure what to think of the article.

Is the author looking for material by re-framing an old question?

They both have their place, strengths and weaknesses.

I am surprised I like my fwd 5 speed ZX2. I bought for cheap transportation and it turns out to be a little sporty and fun package.

Looking back though, my '69 MachI was set up like a SCCA B-Prod club racer, yet it was my daily driver. That car provided me the most fun on 4 wheels of any street car I have owned. The 351W was only good for so much power. Mixed with the wide ratio toploader a circuit ready suspension and detroit locker, it was a load of fun.

The most fun? The Mach I, not terribly far behind with it's own form of fun, the little ZX2 and close on it's heals my old Ranger 4x4 with off road STX package.
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-04-2018, 11:47 AM   #7
malazn mafia
Boss 335

The feeling of being pulled along by a bumdragger FWD, vs being shoved in the back by a RWD is very different under heavy acceleration. I know which one I prefer
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-04-2018, 11:54 AM   #8
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarite_guy View Post
I'm not sure what to think of the article.

Is the author looking for material by re-framing an old question?

They both have their place, strengths and weaknesses.

I am surprised I like my fwd 5 speed ZX2. I bought for cheap transportation and it turns out to be a little sporty and fun package.

Looking back though, my '69 MachI was set up like a SCCA B-Prod club racer, yet it was my daily driver. That car provided me the most fun on 4 wheels of any street car I have owned. The 351W was only good for so much power. Mixed with the wide ratio toploader a circuit ready suspension and detroit locker, it was a load of fun.

The most fun? The Mach I, not terribly far behind with it's own form of fun, the little ZX2 and close on it's heals my old Ranger 4x4 with off road STX package.
The versatility of Rwd is the clincher for me SG, while Fwd can do the tasks also, Rwd does them more competently imo & argubly safer.

cheers, Maka

Old 08-04-2018, 12:45 PM   #9
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Been doing a lot of comparing while in Sydney between my Falcon panel van and my brothers late model Honda Accord (while he is away) and I gotta say I hate FWD, feels like it wants to understeer around every roundabout and corner. This thing really moves off the mark and in a straight line but the van is just a big floating boat which drifts predictably through corners. Honda's great over speed bumps though.
Nope, I won't be buy FWD anytime soon.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2018, 12:58 PM   #10
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Been doing a lot of comparing while in Sydney between my Falcon panel van and my brothers late model Honda Accord (while he is away) and I gotta say I hate FWD, feels like it wants to understeer around every roundabout and corner. This thing really moves off the mark and in a straight line but the van is just a big floating boat which drifts predictably through corners. Honda's great over speed bumps though.
Nope, I won't be buy FWD anytime soon.
Getting on to the throttle early in most Fwd's is a wait till its pointed straight type of thing because of understeer, lsd helps immensely with that though only high end sporty Fwd atm come from the factory with them standard.

The newer Fwd offerings are getting better in regards to torque steer / understeer though with newer tech suspension etc, yeah nah im sticking to good old Rwd too lol!

cheers, Maka

Old 08-04-2018, 01:09 PM   #11
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
Getting on to the throttle early in most Fwd's is a wait till its pointed straight type of thing because of understeer, lsd helps immensely with that though only high end sporty Fwd atm come from the factory with them standard.

The newer Fwd offerings are getting better in regards to torque steer / understeer though with newer tech suspension etc, yeah nah im sticking to good old Rwd too lol!

cheers, Maka
I reckon one of those FWD Fiat Ducato single rear wheels motorhome, everyone jumping on, would be a handful down the putty.

Old 08-04-2018, 01:22 PM   #12
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
I reckon one of those FWD Fiat Ducato single rear wheels motorhome, everyone jumping on, would be a handful down the putty.
Yep, also i wouldnt like to get stuck behind one in the tight bits or the uphills lol!

cheers, Maka

Old 08-04-2018, 01:25 PM   #13
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Yep, also i wouldnt like to get stuck behind one in the tight bits or the uphills lol!
cheers, Maka
I would be more concerned blowing a rear tyre rounding a bend in one.

Old 08-04-2018, 01:32 PM   #14
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Yep too true, though i wouldn't be pushing one of those through the Putty too hard (as its a light commercial lol) plus you have to be careful a tyre is not the only thing that blows on a Ducato -

https://www.caradvice.com.au/fiat/ducato/

cheers, Maka

Old 08-04-2018, 01:36 PM   #15
burnz
VFII SS UTE

assuming each car has 400 bhp at the wheels,
getting power down is the question for me..
both are fun, but one will eventually be a burden..
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2018, 01:50 PM   #16
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

I've owned both AU XR6 and TJ VRX with factory LSD and the VRX will own the AU in every department.
Fastest Australian production car before the VT2 was released with 5.7l.

Infact the VRX wiped the smile off some smart **** in a BA/F XR6 and i gave him half a car length and left his missus laughing at the fool.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2018, 02:02 PM   #17
Sar4890
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Every one under rates the old magnas having driven a few of them they are one of the best bangs for your bucks around.
Sar4890 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-04-2018, 02:20 PM   #18
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Yeah the Ralliarts & Vxr's are great Aussie built Mitsi's for sure but still, Rwd is more fun for me.

cheers, Maka

Old 08-04-2018, 02:31 PM   #19
Nu66et
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive got a bit of a soft spot for small fwd cars with my first car being one which lasted about 4 years. My next car was an EB Falcon which felt like an absolute boat on water in comparison.

I think right now RWD is more fun, but its not a gurantee as you can work around what the driven wheels are. Lets not forget how many plaudits the current Fiesta ST has received worldwide.
Nu66et is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-04-2018, 02:59 PM   #20
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm old school RWD through and through , owned nearly all RWD except for a 1986 AS Telstar in the early 90's, a 1989 Mitsubishi Magna wagon until 2 years ago and my little 1984 Honda Accord I still have . I have no problems with FWD at all but the Mitsi and Honda are 'pottering around cars ' for taking my dogs to the beach or bush or me to work 10 minutes away . Neither were proper daily long distance drivers . That's what my Falcons are.

Recall seeing a review of the Ford Mondeo last year where the issue of 'torque steer' was a serious consideration and how Ford had dealt with it pretty satisfactorily . Torque steer is not as big a deal these days I know but with all that stuff done up front (power , final drive and steering) makes me wonder if there's not a little bit more compromise to rear wheel drive with extra action on the front hoops .

Any sentiments on that guys ?
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-04-2018, 03:17 PM   #21
nstg8a

It's almost a 'how long is a piece of string' type question.

A modern fwd hot hatch would own your average falcodore in pretty any proper driving environment, where as your more performance oriented falcodore will smash your average shopping trolley fwd everywhere.

There's good and bad in both options.

I grew up in south Otago nz, so the vast majority of my formative driving years were on gravel roads.
Yes, I had way more fun in a rwd, but I found I was a lot faster and smoother in a fwd.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 08-04-2018, 03:55 PM   #22
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
It's almost a 'how long is a piece of string' type question.

A modern fwd hot hatch would own your average falcodore in pretty any proper driving environment, where as your more performance oriented falcodore will smash your average shopping trolley fwd everywhere.

There's good and bad in both options.

I grew up in south Otago nz, so the vast majority of my formative driving years were on gravel roads.
Yes, I had way more fun in a rwd, but I found I was a lot faster and smoother in a fwd.
Everyones kind of fun differs i guess & each to their own imo, lift off oversteer v power oversteer really dosent matter perhaps & on both accounts, you have to be a very competent driver to make those sort moves safely in the right environment.

Though i think fast Fwd cars that have fatter tyres on the front look a bit funny though, only joking!!

cheers, Maka

Old 08-04-2018, 04:00 PM   #23
nstg8a

Quote:
Everyones kind of fun differs i guess & each to their own imo, lift off oversteer v power oversteer really dosent matter perhaps & on both accounts, you have to be a very competent driver to make those sort moves safely in the right environment.

Though i think fast Fwd cars that have fatter tyres on the front look a bit funny though, only joking!!

cheers, Maka
Haha, fwd drag cars definitely look weird
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2018, 04:00 PM   #24
TICKFORD220
2009 Fg xr6 turbo

If I had the cash and the room id have a turbo i30 Hyundai in a second,havent driven one but I loved the interior and exterior last time I was at the stealership,little turbo 4 bangers are fun,i love rwd v8s and turbos but I also like change too.
TICKFORD220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-04-2018, 05:43 PM   #25
Rallye Sport
RS The Faster Fords

I love the tail out driving of a RWD and thats how I've learnt to drive however I did have a Charade GTTi for a short time and I've gotta say it was just as much fun squirming up the road with a load of torque steer. Went around corners like it was on rails too. I'd buy one again if I could find one.
FG XR50 Daily.
Rallye Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 08-04-2018, 05:55 PM   #26
roKWiz
Cabover nut

I remember in the late 70's, early 80's in Sydney we would test all our performance add-ons along (good ol dirt) Halcrows Rd, Glenorie to Cattai.
Many a time was spent sideways in a 308 Premier, couple of GTS's and later in many a Holden panel van I had. It was one of the favourite test roads we had, close to home, no houses, 100km zone, winding dirt, night time practice.
Oversteer was the norm and the best new product of the time was a second hand HZ Kingswood with RTS. wow technology !

Yeah definitely old school RWD fun for me.

3 users like this post:
Old 08-04-2018, 06:04 PM   #27
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Today, it's not so much a question of FWD versus RWD but FWD/AWD Versus RWD

Ask yourself Focus RS or Mustang manual, some like the RS while others love the Mustang
or would you love a rear drive Focus RS?
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-04-2018, 06:18 PM   #28
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
I'm old school RWD through and through , owned nearly all RWD except for a 1986 AS Telstar in the early 90's, a 1989 Mitsubishi Magna wagon until 2 years ago and my little 1984 Honda Accord I still have . I have no problems with FWD at all but the Mitsi and Honda are 'pottering around cars ' for taking my dogs to the beach or bush or me to work 10 minutes away . Neither were proper daily long distance drivers . That's what my Falcons are.

Recall seeing a review of the Ford Mondeo last year where the issue of 'torque steer' was a serious consideration and how Ford had dealt with it pretty satisfactorily . Torque steer is not as big a deal these days I know but with all that stuff done up front (power , final drive and steering) makes me wonder if there's not a little bit more compromise to rear wheel drive with extra action on the front hoops .

Any sentiments on that guys ?
Well it all depends on the weight balance over the front (to rear) imo Roddy, more weight over the front end will affect turn in & handling neutrality causing plow on understeer where something like a BMW Rwd with 50/50 balance is the perfect balance. Fwd is something like 60/40 afaik.

Excuse my rough explanation Roddy but i think you will get the idea, anyone who can expand on what im saying please chime in lol!

cheers, Maka

Old 08-04-2018, 06:20 PM   #29
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Owning a powerful RWD car is a lot like dating an attractive bipolar woman. You never really know what the outcome will be if you put your foot down... but it's going to be a hell of a ride.

Owning a powerful FWD car is more like dating a plain girl. It's predictable and safe but it doesn't bring you any of the excitement that the unpredictable danger would bring to your life.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2018, 06:24 PM   #30
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Today, it's not so much a question of FWD versus RWD but FWD/AWD Versus RWD

Ask yourself Focus RS or Mustang manual, some like the RS while others love the Mustang
or would you love a rear drive Focus RS?
I would have both jpd80 & even if you add the Focus ST, the ST would be 3rd for me because of its Fwd driving characteristics no matter if some of the old Fwd bad habits have been ironed out.

For others the order may be different i dont know.

cheers, Maka