Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 27-05-2005, 02:39 PM   #1
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default $82,000 Mondeo for sale?!

Found a privately imported Mondeo for sale on the Trading Post website today- for only $82,000!!! :

I can't post a direct link to it, but it's a '97 Ghia hatchback (ie not the latest model sold overseas; similar to what we got HD/HE shape) with sunroof, 2.5l V6 engine (same as my ST24) and it's covered 130,000km!!!

I'm hoping it's a mistake - surely they can't be serious? :

Here's a cut and paste:

Quote:
Ford Mondeo V6 Ghia 1997, FWD, Silver, Hatchback, personally imported from Europe, 2.5Ltr 6spd,man, 130,000kms,woodgrain dash, air cond, CD player with radio security, traction control, car alarm, immobiliser, new tyres, ABS, elec sunroof, cent lock , fog lamps, very fuel efficient, too much to mention,130,000kms ,reg 02/06, RWC, Excellent Condition inside & out, regretful sale, family outgrown, RKL-114, $82,000 ono, ph 0438 098152 or (03) 9512 1774, Mordialloc.
Old 27-05-2005, 02:57 PM   #2
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

damn....

are st24's 5 or 6 speeds?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2005, 03:12 PM   #3
Axle-F
AU - YEA YOU!

prolly got an extra 0 in the price (so real price more like 8,200?). see that in the trading post form time to time
Old 27-05-2005, 05:13 PM   #4
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ST24's are five speed (unless you include reverse? )- doubt it would be six? Even the ST200 was only a five.

The advert is repeated twice- one with pic and one without. Guess they could have stuffed up the price twice?
Old 27-05-2005, 05:28 PM   #5
b2tf
not here much anymore

Would have to be a typo - 8200 for sure.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:27 PM   #6
zetec
Zoom Zoom

what's a regular 97 go for?
Old 01-06-2005, 11:34 PM   #7
LUXO_8
windsor user

perhaps he's trying to recoup import and compliance costs lol.......
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2005, 10:17 AM   #8
whippet_zetec
Supes

should call him up just to let him know he is dreaming
Old 02-06-2005, 04:07 PM   #9
OZST24

Heres one othe the other end of the scale...

A Mondeo ST24 for 10K
http://www.drive.com.au/used_cars/fo...pp=11&d=0&nv=1
OZST24 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2005, 04:34 PM   #10
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

ah I want to see pics! The page seems to be down

that woudl have to be the cheapest st24 in the country....wonder whats wrong with it?
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 02-06-2005, 06:46 PM   #11
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The only ST24 I could find on that site has $20990 and 62500km..... Makes mine look like a bargain!? :
Old 02-06-2005, 10:17 PM   #12
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

please dont make me look at your car anymore, I nearly cry everytime. If I wasn't saving up to go OS then that car would be mine

Just to drop a bombshell ive driven a new ST220, holy crap that thing rocks, and the st24 is the same breed so it cant be too far off.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 02-06-2005, 10:31 PM   #13
OZST24

Only 50hp off ;)
OZST24 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2005, 09:44 PM   #14
AuFairlaneV8

$82000 mondeo. that would be a Jaguar x type wouldnt it?
AuFairlaneV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2005, 10:45 AM   #15
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuFairlaneV8
$82000 mondeo. that would be a Jaguar x type wouldnt it?
Yes, but don't tell the Jag owners that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
please dont make me look at your car anymore, I nearly cry everytime. If I wasn't saving up to go OS then that car would be mine
Looks like mine is sold- it's going on a one way trip to Queensland. A sad occasion as I won't be replacing it (damn house mortgages..... : )
Old 02-07-2005, 02:42 AM   #16
Treffynnon
Starter Motor

I took a look at this car the other day. It is in fact $7,500 now. Didn't like it because the engine kept revving when my foot was off the accelerator and it felt like it it was driving itself. All in all an unpleasant drive in my opinion. Also the V6 is NOTHING to get excited about at all. It is a very boring engine.
Treffynnon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2005, 02:48 AM   #17
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Yep, they all do that.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:10 PM   #18
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can fix the revving by putting a restrictor in the IAC valve line. Did it to mine and it was so much nicer to drive. _2:

Mine went quite well, quicker than V6 Commondoors from the lights and excellent for overtaking in the country without changing down gears. The engine was the best part about my ST24. I did have a pod filter fitted, which I took off just before selling and it did feel like it had less power.

BTW Motor (or Wheels?) managed a 15.7 second 1/4 mile when they were first released from a stocker. Perhaps that one is shagged?

Last edited by murcod; 02-07-2005 at 11:16 PM.
murcod is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2005, 12:03 AM   #19
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Hmm interesting. I might just try that, bloody ICV... cars know too much for their own good IMO.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:55 PM   #20
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It takes a bit of experimenting to get right, but basically find some sort of metal plug that will fit snugly into the IAC / ICV pipe that bypasses the throttle body. Make sure that if it somes loose there's no way it can get into the inlet manifold!! :

Before fitting it, drill a small hole in the middle (try 4mm first.) The idea is you're restricting the maximum amount of air that the IAC can bypass. After fitting it reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery (or pull the relevant fuses for the ECU.)

Then try starting the car. You may find it takes a second try to start it, as the ECU needs to relearn the new settings for the IAC. Don't use the accelerator to help it start or the ECU won't learn the settings!! If you can't get it running after the fourth try, then enlarge the hole using the next largest drill bit (0.5mm steps are good) and try it all again until it will start on the second go without helping using the accelerator.

Once it's started and idling smoothly turn on all the electrics you can think of (headlights on high beam, A/C, heater fan on full etc etc) and see if it can maintain the idle speed. If it can, you've got a good hole size; if the idle drops and it struggles then you need a bigger hole.

You'll need to drive it around for a couple of weeks for it to relearn the settings for different temperatures. Providing it starts second try then the ECU shouldn't have problems again with those same conditions.

Before the mod my Mondeo would accelerate down hill after I'd backed off in fifth gear; and the revs would hang around 2000rpm as I changed gears. :(

It was a lot easier to drive afterwards, and also didn't rev it's ring off when first started cold (ie. would have to help with longterm engine life.)
Old 03-07-2005, 10:12 PM   #21
zetec
Zoom Zoom

David,

Thanks for that post, very informative and really helpful. I'll wait till my mate here at Ford has a go, but then will certainly give this a try if I still have the problem.

Just some questions, why does it need to be taught correctly when it should bloody work in the first place?!!! Do you think it's a bit of a hoon guard, that it basically only happens in cars driven hard and then reacts accordingly? Shouldn't be... but would geting the ICV replaced have it's original effect?

Sounds in all honestly like it's due to a high-flow filter. I have a K&N panel filter.... more air in = more air past ICV = confusion, but why the hell can't it still use it's brain and look at the Throttle Position Sensor to realise you've backed off?!?!?!! Has frustrated me for the best part of a year.

It's the ONLY single fault with my otherwise perfect car than just makes me smile. I get all the high revving on startup, hanging on clutch-in, coasting down hills, even a cruise-control efect on the flat straights. Personally it's not safe and it also makes me use my brakes more often, I already replaced the front discs and full pads at 48,000km after one disc nearly wore through and started ripping up my front left brake pad unevenly.

Thanks again mate!
Old 03-07-2005, 11:43 PM   #22
Treffynnon
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondeost24
BTW Motor (or Wheels?) managed a 15.7 second 1/4 mile when they were first released from a stocker. Perhaps that one is shagged?
It was running well from what I could tell. The engine may have been fast as you say, but it is still boring. It is absolutely no fun to drive, not much low down and a very bland and uninteresting almost annoying noise when you stoke it up. Coming from an Alfa V6 might just be affecting my judgement though!
Old 05-07-2005, 08:22 PM   #23
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
why does it need to be taught correctly when it should bloody work in the first place?!!! Do you think it's a bit of a hoon guard, that it basically only happens in cars driven hard and then reacts accordingly? Shouldn't be... but would geting the ICV replaced have it's original effect?

Sounds in all honestly like it's due to a high-flow filter. I have a K&N panel filter.... more air in = more air past ICV = confusion, but why the hell can't it still use it's brain and look at the Throttle Position Sensor to realise you've backed off?!?!?!! Has frustrated me for the best part of a year.
My guess is Ford would have programmed in a "default" program for the IAC settings from the factory- this would of course be designed for the standard IAC set up. When you reset the ECU it will go back to this "default" program and start the IAC opening using those settings, but the engine will stall due to the same IAC opening not being able to bypass as much air due to the restriction in the pipe. So after the engine stalls, it will most likely change some value and open the IAC valve further for the next restart.... and when it starts successfully store that as the new default value. It needs to relearn for different temperatures and engine loads, hence the reason why it will stall a bit to begin with.

That's my understanding of how it operates anyway!

(In my experience the ST24 would start second go (after having the battery disconnected) and after a week it was happy. The new owner has been complaining about starting problems- but she has been using the accelerator to help it start : . It used to sit with the battery disconnected a lot when I owned it and I never had problems after a couple of days driving/ starting.)

When you back off the accelerator suddenly the throttle almost instantly closes; the IAC valve staying open helps to reduce emissions by ensuring the mixtures don't spike rich when it happens (from traces of unburnt fuel exiting the exhaust.) Same disclaimer as above- my understanding of it only. ;)
Old 05-07-2005, 10:20 PM   #24
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Yeah it's the software that makes the throttle stay open that stuffs it all up, means it can then stick open a little, bloody low technology eninges. That's what you get by putting a decade old engine into a modern car. Only thing I hate about the Zetec is it's stock tune. But DAMN is it a moddable engine!!
Old 06-07-2005, 12:22 AM   #25
Treffynnon
Starter Motor

G, I thought it was strange importing a V6 from the UK, but check out this 1995 Estate: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....tem=4560291426 What a bizarre car to privately import.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:53 AM   #26
zetec
Zoom Zoom

I think you'll find it was sold in Oz, just a definition "import" for some bogan Queenslander who know nuthin but Falcodores, notice the "not Falcon" in the title LOL. Had to be the Gold Coast... the America of the North... the home of Big Brother...

Queensland Dictionary of Engwish:

Import (eem pawt) - something other than XXXX

You'll also see it's a 2 litre Zetec (not VTEC like the sorry ****er says.)

There's one born every minute. 10 bucks says he wants a Camry Sportivo next...
Old 06-07-2005, 01:41 AM   #27
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

LOL! "Sporty Roof Racks"... how so?!

Also, laughing at the negative comment he has from a buyer! :evil_laug

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2005, 08:05 PM   #28
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good luck selling that one! ROTFL

260000km, an import 2l LX (bottom of the range IIRC) and a starting price of $5000!