Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 18-02-2020, 12:24 PM   #1201
sr71

Default Re: Will the Holden brand survive?

Will the GM & Chevrolet brands survive? That's the next question
Profit is profit, however small a percentage RHD was making.

Porsche timed it well, reintroducing the 6 cyl into the 718. GTS model though, with a detuned version out of GT4/Spyder.
Factory RHD Corvette would have been great. Apparently Chevrolet are losing money on 2020 C8 Corvettes, selling at US$60k. Punters over there are hanging out for the Wide body Z06/Race version. Maybe they should commit to the Stingray, before the whole C8 program is shut down.

Gotta feel for the loyal Holden fans/owners right now. Resale values will surley take a dive, as a percentage of potential buyers decide against buying late models, still with warranty. Or even concern about capable mechanics.
This user likes this post:
Old 18-02-2020, 12:27 PM   #1202
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
Which comments..wasn't this your own:

btw..I do agree Holden outmarketed it's competitors when they sold locally built product and it wasn't always the "best in class"....still a sad day more because I'm in the manufacturing industry and it's been a slow death...
The part where Fordies care about Holden's extinction.

Yes, that was my comment and in reality it is fact, its not rubbishing them, just pointing out that GM used the Holden branding to sell their inferior products to people who we're easily fooled.
I didn't want to see them go though, Holden has been part of the social fabric of my neighbourhood from birth, it is an icon I never thought i'd see go under in my lifetime and something many of us from the north of Adelaide just took for granted in reality, however, I shed my tears with my production line mates when the announcement was made, although the media is desperate to have one last tug on the heart strings over this recent decision, that horse has bolted for the people who cared for the cars.

For the record, from a purely mechanical point of view there is only one Holden product built in this country which i'd take over the Ford equivalent and that would be a VL Commodore in i6 form for obvious reasons as the rest are nowhere near as good, but when looks are considered i'd favour a HQ over an XA, a HZ over an XC, and a VT over an AU, that's it.
2 users like this post:
Old 18-02-2020, 02:07 PM   #1203
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I must admit that I am a little surprised by this.
It just goes to show how momentously inept their management has been, that the Holden brand, once the most Iconic in Australia, is worth nothing.

What I didn't realise until recently, was that in selling Opel, they also sold Vauxhall, so SE Asia and Australia were their last RHD Markets. I don't know what they sold their products as in Asia? GM I guess? I never saw that many.

So I guess once they decided to bail on RHD that was the end for Australia.

I wonder if somebody will buy the brand? Try to make some money selling rebadged Gheelys or somesuch?
2 users like this post:
Old 18-02-2020, 02:33 PM   #1204
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
It just goes to show how momentously inept their management has been, that the Holden brand, once the most Iconic in Australia, is worth nothing.
Why?

Without a local manufacturing division building Australia's own car, its just a name, it has no soul and its identity was taken from it in 2017.
Old 18-02-2020, 02:34 PM   #1205
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Writing was on the wall when they pulled out of Europe. With very few RHD markets to sell to, especially after they bailed on South Africa and India, this decision was inevitable in hindsight.

They could never justify the costs of making certain models in RHD to sell only in Thailand, Australia and NZ. The sales failures of Acadia and Equinox made certain of that. GM spent millions making RHD versions that sold poorly here. Would have made their decision to not do any more RHD models pretty easy.

Luckily Ford still sells in all the major RHD markets.
Old 18-02-2020, 02:53 PM   #1206
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Why?

Without a local manufacturing division building Australia's own car, its just a name, it has no soul and its identity was taken from it in 2017.
Sounds like what the Chinese are doing with MG.
Old 18-02-2020, 03:03 PM   #1207
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
while everyone likes to point fingers and find someone to blame, the reality of the situation often gets forgotten.

Is there another island, with the population size of australia, with an automotive manufacturing industry?

once globalisation started a couple of decades ago, it was going to become increasingly difficult to maintain an industry in this country even with support from within. Being surrounded by water has logistical challenges that other manufacturing countries, even the smaller ones, just don't have. Not to mention the population sizes are considerably larger in other manufacturing countries so demand is higher.

The reality is, the manufacturing industry in australia probably lasted about 10years longer than it should have.

But here's the thing: globalisation has peaked and is in retreat. The peak moment was probably the Trump tariffs on China. Currently, Chinese output has ground to a halt and free travel is looking increasingly sketchy. Capital, then manufacturing is being either relocated or moved back to the US. The UK declared its auto industry worth protecting in 2010, and will keep it as it expands into defence and space. Those countries enjoying free access of globalisation are getting hit with tariffs - and tweets revealing how naughty they have been. The wind has shifted and a smart approach would be to bet the other way with electric coming on fast, providing a foot in the door at the entry level.
Old 18-02-2020, 03:08 PM   #1208
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post
Sounds like what the Chinese are doing with MG.
They sell on price point, those 3's are reasonable for $15kda and a small SUV for $22k will get attention.
Old 18-02-2020, 03:12 PM   #1209
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
But here's the thing: globalisation has peaked and is in retreat. The peak moment was probably the Trump tariffs on China. Currently, Chinese output has ground to a halt and free travel is looking increasingly sketchy. Capital, then manufacturing is being either relocated or moved back to the US. The UK declared its auto industry worth protecting in 2010, and will keep it as it expands into defence and space. Those countries enjoying free access of globalisation are getting hit with tariffs - and tweets revealing how naughty they have been. The wind has shifted and a smart approach would be to bet the other way with electric coming on fast, providing a foot in the door at the entry level.
I dont often but for the most part I agree, globalisation has not been the savour whatsoever. Quite the opposite.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
5 users like this post:
Old 18-02-2020, 04:56 PM   #1210
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

With Holden going, how long before Wheels and Motor magazine follow??
Old 18-02-2020, 05:04 PM   #1211
prydey
Rob

Quote:
The difference is, Australia isn't shutting down it's auto industry. It never really had one. Nothing Australia does can stop an offshore brand pulling out if that's what it wants to do. We are unique in that we are an island. Like I said earlier, what other countries like us have their own auto manufacturing?
Old 18-02-2020, 05:17 PM   #1212
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I’d consider it “the decent thing” to return the imprimatur of logo and name, to national possession at close of the statutory warranty period. Naturally, with a permanent caveat saying it couldn’t be divested.
Old 18-02-2020, 05:26 PM   #1213
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
The part where Fordies care about Holden's extinction.

Yes, that was my comment and in reality it is fact, its not rubbishing them, just pointing out that GM used the Holden branding to sell their inferior products to people who we're easily fooled.
I didn't want to see them go though, Holden has been part of the social fabric of my neighbourhood from birth, it is an icon I never thought i'd see go under in my lifetime and something many of us from the north of Adelaide just took for granted in reality, however, I shed my tears with my production line mates when the announcement was made, although the media is desperate to have one last tug on the heart strings over this recent decision, that horse has bolted for the people who cared for the cars.

For the record, from a purely mechanical point of view there is only one Holden product built in this country which i'd take over the Ford equivalent and that would be a VL Commodore in i6 form for obvious reasons as the rest are nowhere near as good, but when looks are considered i'd favour a HQ over an XA, a HZ over an XC, and a VT over an AU, that's it.
People caring about other people. Apart from VT over AU....you need glasses ....personally I actually fell in love with the VH SL/E shadow tone 5L and then the XE Ghia ESP came out and it was lust...
2 users like this post:
Old 18-02-2020, 06:54 PM   #1214
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
The difference is, Australia isn't shutting down it's auto industry. It never really had one. Nothing Australia does can stop an offshore brand pulling out if that's what it wants to do. We are unique in that we are an island. Like I said earlier, what other countries like us have their own auto manufacturing?
I think you mean domestically owned, that's true. The Ford buildings up at North Shore look like they were a real auto industry, as does the old Pilkington Glass building. I reckon there would have been some Australian ownership of component suppliers and engineering contractrors, etc. So there was an industry.

Carbon Revolution, sounds Aussie owned, at least until listing.
Old 18-02-2020, 07:00 PM   #1215
Ford17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cross-post to the similar thread in the Pits, GM may retain a niche presence in Australia once Holden is done and dusted, under the name of "General Motors Specialty Vehicles (GMSV)".

It sounds like RHD conversions to factory spec by HSV, similar to what they're already doing, but with more of a product range:
https://www.caradvice.com.au/827737/...-v8-supercars/
Old 18-02-2020, 07:06 PM   #1216
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

By year's end, Toyota, Hyundai and Kia will probably swallow Holden''s sales and then some.
I don't see any other brands making any headway compared to those three.
6 users like this post:
Old 18-02-2020, 07:24 PM   #1217
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
and then some.
Yesss indeed..
Old 18-02-2020, 07:53 PM   #1218
sr71

Just read on carsales that RHD "Corvette still coming".
Old 18-02-2020, 07:55 PM   #1219
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
By year's end, Toyota, Hyundai and Kia will probably swallow Holden''s sales and then some.
I don't see any other brands making any headway compared to those three.
I wonder if we will see a sudden rise in sales as Holden customers race to grab the last of them, or will we see the opposite, with vehicles not moving.
Old 18-02-2020, 08:04 PM   #1220
prydey
Rob

Quote:
I think you mean domestically owned, that's true. The Ford buildings up at North Shore look like they were a real auto industry, as does the old Pilkington Glass building. I reckon there would have been some Australian ownership of component suppliers and engineering contractrors, etc. So there was an industry.

Carbon Revolution, sounds Aussie owned, at least until listing.
There is plenty of manufacturing here, yes, but no real Australian owned car company, unless you count guys like brabham.

Manufacturing happens in many countries and parent companies shut down factories all the time. This is not something unique to Australia.

Most manufacturing gets done in low labour cost countries, hence the popularity of Thailand and EV in China. Wage growth in Australia hasn't helped the situation. Not a huge factor but a factor nonetheless. Unions and employees at Holden were never happy and always wanting more benefits and higher income.
Old 18-02-2020, 08:08 PM   #1221
ad2013

FYI I came across this US Colorado forum perspective https://www.coloradofans.com/threads...ailand.414507/
Old 18-02-2020, 08:18 PM   #1222
stock1991
Limited supply

Rest in peace and with respect
Old 18-02-2020, 08:51 PM   #1223
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford17 View Post
Cross-post to the similar thread in the Pits, GM may retain a niche presence in Australia once Holden is done and dusted, under the name of "General Motors Specialty Vehicles (GMSV)".

It sounds like RHD conversions to factory spec by HSV, similar to what they're already doing, but with more of a product range:
https://www.caradvice.com.au/827737/...-v8-supercars/
Journalistic license?

There are no announcements, wishful thinking I’m sorry from journo’s
Old 18-02-2020, 08:54 PM   #1224
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad2013 View Post
FYI I came across this US Colorado forum perspective https://www.coloradofans.com/threads...ailand.414507/
No surprise, there have been rumours for a while that there would be no new Colorado for RHD markets.
Old 18-02-2020, 09:15 PM   #1225
sr71

Spin Doctors talking about used Holdens going up in value. Then mention A9X & GTS Monaro....
Old 18-02-2020, 09:35 PM   #1226
Ford17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1 View Post
Journalistic license?

There are no announcements, wishful thinking I’m sorry from journo’s
Possibly; but then again it only involves ramping up the existing HSV operation, and adding a few more variants to the range.

And all put in place once the now-tarnished name of Holden has disappeared.

HSV or GMSV will essentially become a later version of what Mr Holden was back in the 1930's.
Old 18-02-2020, 10:06 PM   #1227
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

At a guess, I say 3 more generations and they wont know what a Holden was!

Even as a die hard Ford guy, this is not good news at all, the Ford V Holden will be gone for good!!
2 users like this post:
Old 18-02-2020, 10:18 PM   #1228
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post

What I didn't realise until recently, was that in selling Opel, they also sold Vauxhall, so SE Asia and Australia were their last RHD Markets. I don't know what they sold their products as in Asia? GM I guess? I never saw that many.

So I guess once they decided to bail on RHD that was the end for Australia.

I wonder if somebody will buy the brand? Try to make some money selling rebadged Gheelys or somesuch?
Greatwall have Bought GM's RHD factories in India & Thailand.... It would make sense for them to Tie up the Holden Dealer network for their Aussie Distribution... I would Think.
2 users like this post:
Old 18-02-2020, 10:21 PM   #1229
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCRXR6 View Post
I wonder if we will see a sudden rise in sales as Holden customers race to grab the last of them, or will we see the opposite, with vehicles not moving.
a renewed interest in real Holdens, maybe carry Aussie Fords along too?
You don't have to go too far to find unconditional love.
Old 18-02-2020, 10:43 PM   #1230
Warrenk

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
Greatwall have Bought GM's RHD factories in India & Thailand.... It would make sense for them to Tie up the Holden Dealer network for their Aussie Distribution... I would Think.
Have a read of this link about GWM and their plans
https://www.caradvice.com.au/827648/...re-great-wall/