Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 10-06-2016, 10:38 PM   #121
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 
Default Re: Cav's Fabulous AUII Fairlane Sportsman

That was the problem I was finding with the AU dash ... I ended up with a Single DIN unit and used a pocket under it.

If you can get it to sit neatly ... go the double-DIN though.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2016, 10:45 PM   #122
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

This is the Clarion that we had in our old Barge.
Single Din with a space underneath like Mechan1c's but with a fold out screen.

Old 10-06-2016, 10:50 PM   #123
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

This a Kenwood double din unit that I put into my AUIIIXR8 Ute that is now owned by pride and joy.

As you can see, although not flush, the fit was still OK in my opinion.

The FM radio wasn't a patch on the Sonys I had in other cars so I am leaning towards the Sony unit. The price has been heavily discounted.

I have to get it by mail as there are no dealers here in chew-mit

Thanks for your input so far.

I dunno much about Alpines Gosofartmeter, perhaps you could suggest a unit, you Kent!
Cav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-06-2016, 11:17 PM   #124
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
OK I am considering replacing the Ford headunit with a double din one.

Waddayousereckon?
I reckon you need to see if Russ has done an Excel spreadsheet that will assist in you search. I am one of those that thinks if it aint broke then why fix it? Also to many doggie pics. I thought this was supposed to be about cars - not dogs.

Anyways, here is a pic of my dog and his name is Ralph. Attachment 92723

Last edited by olfella; 24-08-2016 at 03:48 PM.
olfella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 10-06-2016, 11:18 PM   #125
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

OK, maybe a single din and I can put stuff in the cubby hole below it.

How about this one .....

100w×4 Max Power
MEGA BASS
Front AUX and USB (iPod)
3 PRE OUT (5V)
Steering Remote Input Ready
Subwoofer Direct Connection

$339

Probably give those 15 years old Ford speakers, all ten of them, a workout though
Old 10-06-2016, 11:19 PM   #126
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by olfella View Post

Ralph. Now that's a name for a dog!
Old 11-06-2016, 01:02 AM   #127
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by olfella View Post
I reckon you need to see if Russ has done an Excel spreadsheet that will assist in you search. I am one of those that thinks if it aint broke then why fix it? Also to many doggie pics. I thought this was supposed to be about cars - not dogs.

Welcome to Australian Ford Forums Ralph
Blue Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2016, 10:35 AM   #128
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
I dunno much about Alpines Gosofartmeter, perhaps you could suggest a unit,
We've got the INE-W947E.
http://www.alpine.com.au/showItem.php?item_id=320

Goes good, aerial in the rear window and we can still get our crappy 93FM in Griffith. (190k's away, for those that don't know the area)
Old 11-06-2016, 12:43 PM   #129
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Holy **** batman!

That unit is worth more than the car.

Does it make coffee?

But then again if you want to receive Wagga FM stations in Griffith I guess there is no accounting for a loser Kent's taste?
Old 11-06-2016, 12:50 PM   #130
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Although this one did catch my eye Gasofartmeter

http://www.alpine.com.au/showItem.php?item_id=472

I might check it out.

What are those audio blokes in Edward St like?
Old 11-06-2016, 01:30 PM   #131
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:

I might check it out.

Wagga Car Radio & Hi-Fi (WCR) really good.

Fitted mine in so well with hidden wiring that I had a bastard of a job disconnecting the Video player from the handbrake switch
Old 11-06-2016, 02:49 PM   #132
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Yeah mate a lot of DH on here bum drummin' me especially that guy from Victoria. I notice he has been real quiet lately. Is there a corner in Ford Forums where we send the naughty boys? $1.05 the piece of 1/2 inch tube cost me. Luckily I didn't get a metre.
Keep it for when you do your BF spark plugs Cav. You'll definitely need it then.

Sorry I forgot the AU was different to BA and BF. Been a while since I had the AU.

And I do find I have better feel of the threads engaging when installing sparkplugs using the rubber heater hose than with a spark plug socket, which can also be difficult to pull off the plug when done. I've taken out the rubber insert to make it easier. Maybe your sparkplug socket works better.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2016, 03:47 PM   #133
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post
Keep it for when you do your BF spark plugs Cav. You'll definitely need it then.

Sorry I forgot the AU was different to BA and BF. Been a while since I had the AU.

And I do find I have better feel of the threads engaging when installing sparkplugs using the rubber heater hose than with a spark plug socket, which can also be difficult to pull off the plug when done. I've taken out the rubber insert to make it easier. Maybe your sparkplug socket works better.
Yeah you are right, my BFII Ghia has the plugs hidden in the bowels of the motor, I got the mechanic to change them over some time ago. But I won't throw the tubing out ;-)

I went out today to clean the throttle body. I did the Fairlane a few days ago. It wasn't that bad.

I took one look and realised that it was beyond me. I don't even know how to open the butterfly. So maybe another job for the mechanic, although I did get fuel consumption of 7.4l/100kms from Gundagai to the Wollongong turn off on the Hume Hwy. Two hours sitting on 115kms/hr on cruise. So I think it's running OK
Old 12-06-2016, 05:09 PM   #134
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:

I might check it out.

I have one of these head units in my NL. Bluetooth streaming from my iphone is really good. Would recommend.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2016, 07:24 PM   #135
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
I have one of these head units in my NL. Bluetooth streaming from my iphone is really good. Would recommend.
Thanks mate, what is the FM reception like?

Can it pick up country music stations?
Old 12-06-2016, 07:31 PM   #136
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

The reason I want double din, even if it is not a flush fit, is that it looks better in the dash.

If you look at AUs that have the space replaced with a normal head unit and a spacer below it, they look, er, tacky.

Old 13-06-2016, 11:14 AM   #137
falcongt4me
TSCoA member Qld

Do you know where a double din adaptor for the Fairmont/lane dash is available from, Cav? There used to heaps on ebay once but looking recently I couldn't find any.
Following your thread, has re ignited my interest in installing a more modern stereo unit with Bluetooth and handsfree capabilities in the TS. Plus I think they give the interior a real modern look...

2002 AUIII TS50 Liquid Silver #206 (ex NZ)

T-Series Club of Australia member; QLD

falcongt4me is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2016, 11:32 AM   #138
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

I put a double din system (well the audio place did) in my XR8 ute Martin that is now owned by pride and joy, the installer had to cut away a bit of the hole. The result was a little rough if you looked closely, but I thought it was OK because the overlook was much better.

I live 350kms away from that audio place I used on a number of occasions, so I too am wondering how to go about getting the new system up and running now that I live in Tumut.

There is an audio place a bit over 100kms away, but they don't seem to carry many brands although I am down to either Sony or Alpine with Alpine having the looks but I am wary of the FM range, so I need to talk to some experts.

Locally I am going to talk to an auto elec that I have used and who seems to be on the ball, about installing the stereo if I buy a unit online.

It seems you and I have arrived at the same dilemma Martin, what about a cover that completes the install by covering up the edges?

So my plan is this.

1) Chat to the local auto elec.

2) Chat to the guys at WCR Wagga

3) If nothing comes of 1) or 2); then I will head down to Frankies at Albion Park who I know will be able to do a good job.(we have kids down in Shellharbour and visit often)
Old 13-06-2016, 12:19 PM   #139
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcongt4me View Post
Do you know where a double din adaptor for the Fairmont/lane dash is available from, Cav? There used to heaps on ebay once but looking recently I couldn't find any.
Following your thread, has re ignited my interest in installing a more modern stereo unit with Bluetooth and handsfree capabilities in the TS. Plus I think they give the interior a real modern look...
I got mine off eBay, I know supercheap has them or can order them, or aeropro direct
2 users like this post:
Old 13-06-2016, 09:46 PM   #140
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Thanks mate, what is the FM reception like?

Can it pick up country music stations?
Hard to say, my aftermarket replacement aerial only goes 3/4 of the way up which hinders it. But it is better than the pioneer hu i had in it previously, which was hopeless.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2016, 02:38 PM   #141
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

OK, I may put off the decision about the new head unit seeing as I lashed out and paid $23 for an FM transmitter thingy.

So let's have a look at what it does ...

As you can see, NEATO doesn't really come to mind, but let's look at it in detail.

First off the ipod. It is a few years old and has a lot of country music on it. The white cable connects it to the FM trans thingy (hereinafter referred to as the FMTT) supplying power. I then have to connect the black cable aux out on the iphone to aux in on the FMTT to facilitate the flow of music.

So far so good.

I can also insert a USB full of country music into the FMTT, you see the vacant slot next to the aforementioned white cable? That's where it goes. The reason it is not plugged in is because the FMTT defaults to that unit. So if I wanna play my country music from my ipod I take the USB outa the FMTT.

Are youse still with?

But wait there's more.

See my iphone? It as attached to the swing out Nokia phone handle thingy supplied by Ford and which I have extensively modified. I took the Nokia cradle out and spent $1.39 on those sticky pads. Now this is really NEATO!

It is connected to the FMTT via bluetooth. That means I can answer the phone hands free when the chicks call me up, and in addition to that, I can play country AND western music (yes I have varied tastes) from my iphone via bluetooth.

There is oneveryslightminornotworthmentioninglittleproblem .. the FMTT goes all fuzzy on me just when my favourite country honky tonk music starts to play. I think it can't handle the extra volume; or maybe my singing throws the sophisticated electronics in the cheap Chinese FMTT into melt down.

And youse wanna know something else?

I just bought a Samsung 6 thingy phone online as I am sick of Apple ****. I should get it at the end of the week and I'll have to get one of the grandkids to sort it all out for me. As a mark of my appreciation I will give him 20 of my favourite country music songs on USB for free.

I'm that kinda guy.
2 users like this post:
Old 14-06-2016, 03:04 PM   #142
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Oh, I almost forgot.

Youse are probably waiting for an update on the car following the upgrade to some of the working parts.

I should remind youse that the following work has been undertaken to bring the fabulous Ford Fairlane AUII Sportsman up to and beyond original specks as designed by Ford.

Replace boots on steering rack
Replace spark plugs. I got ridium the other ones
Replace plug leads.
Replace oil
Replace oil filter
Replace fuel filter
Replace O2 sensor
Clean out air filter box (I still have a little spacer left over from somewhere)
Clean out throttle body (and use excess material as a flame thrower)
Run vehicle on gold plated 98 fuel.
Put a bottle of equally gold plated fuel system energiser inta the tank

I did all this to get maximum efficiency outa the fabulous Ford Fairmont AUII Sportsman.

I think I did mention that the fuel average readout was 19.5l/100kms before I did all this work didn't I?

So, the results are in ...

Lookit that!

Fuel consumption has decreased by 0.10l/100kms. Or to put it another way, fuel consumption has decreased by a massive eye watering 1/2 of 1%.

Staggering!

Think about it. If I apply some mathematics, the result over 10 years would be .. er, lemme see, 12,000kms a year, fuel - gold plated 98 @1.60l, consumption 19.5l/100kms would cost $37,440

Whereas, after all that money and time invested ....12,000kms a year, fuel - gold plated 98 @1.60l, consumption 19.4l/100kms would cost $37,248.

That, my friend is a saving of $192 over 10 years; and I haven't even factored in a figure for inflation.
Old 14-06-2016, 04:42 PM   #143
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Cav, I am lost for words. What a transformation you have made to this car. And the environment is better off as well, not only from the fuel savings but from recycling all those bits and pieces that make the country and western work/play.
olfella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-06-2016, 05:30 PM   #144
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

I cant believe you have just bought the car and this thread is already 5 pages long.

You are a very attractive man Cav but 5 pages.
2 users like this post:
Old 14-06-2016, 05:44 PM   #145
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

Cav, have you pushed the reset button...
Old 14-06-2016, 06:37 PM   #146
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

FAB - U - LOUS!

Pretty arty farty eh?

I am so talented.
Old 14-06-2016, 07:12 PM   #147
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
Cav, have you pushed the reset button...
Reset?

I almost forgot to tell youse about it. But first my fabulous stereo sounded a bit flat. How could this be after I have lavished $23 on the beast?

You see I suffer from sensorineural bilateral hearing loss and associated tinnitus as a result of my 12 month (well 12 months and 3 weeks, but who's counting?) holiday in Vietnam courtesy of the Australian Govmint. I just knew that crawling through the J (jungle is so 50s) on my elbows and knees with my bayonet in my mouth would have some lasting deleterious effect upon my personage.

It was then I came to the conclusion that the 'reset' as The Beast' calls it, resulted in the Ford premier sound settings simply set back to 'factory defaults' - which is Ford speak for 'no bastard did anything to it.'

So this is what I did, explained simply for all youse dumb bastards out there. No use arguing about that I've seen what youse guys write!

Turn on unit push in the protruding button, there is only one.

Adjust volume to suit

Set DSP 3

Mode
bass 3
treble 6 (for high tone deafness caused by sergeants shouting at ya)
bal 0
fader F6 (to tweak those little tweeters up front) set by DSP 3
lou on
cpn on
pl on

It doesn't matter if you haven't got a clue what this stuff means - you paid for it you may as well use it.

Then sit back and bask in the lyrics of that konky tonk music ....

"But the chances of you ever changing are as slim as your two lovin' arms.."

"If it weren't for country music I'd go crazy."

“I've Been Flushed from the Bathroom of Your Heart”

“Drop kick me Jesus through the goalposts of life”

And who out there has never heard of, “My achy, breaky heart?”

I gotta go for a crap ....
5 users like this post:
Old 14-06-2016, 08:16 PM   #148
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

Cav, What did you do for a living after the Army?
Old 14-06-2016, 08:43 PM   #149
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

I was a hard working public servant, although I was a soldier in the Army Reserve up until I turned 50. Sleeping on the ground got harder and harder and it wuz tough for the 20 year olds to keep up with me.

I looked smashing in uniform, but youse already knew that.

Here is a pic of me at my very last posting.

How about adding this to the Kent exam.

What was Cav's terminal rank in the Army, and who is the VC recipient who wanted to sit next to Cav.

See that? Real and interesting questions.

Gezz I'm good.
Old 14-06-2016, 09:00 PM   #150
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

Who is the VC recipient?